Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 5:06:37 PM EDT
About a month ago I noticed our Royal Berkey's water tasted slightly "funny". Once I opened the bottom chamber and took a whiff, I noticed it smelled like mildew. So I soaped up and cleaned the bottom section until it stopped stinking. Then I smelled the two white Flouride filters that live in the bottom tank and noticed that they were what smelled like mildew. I removed them all together since they are towards the end of their life span and all seemed well.

The following week I was back to square one, and noticed that it appeared the two main black filters smelled like mildew also..

WTF do you guys (and gals) do to keep your Berkey working in tip top shape? Any inside opinions on how to best clean this thing up? I had considered running a diluted chlorine batch of water through it, but remembered this thing is supposed to remove the chlorine, so how would that help?

I also read about someone boiling their cartridges, but am worried I'll destroy them..

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response, but that isn't what I am referring to. This only cleans the OUTSIDE of the filters when they slow down their filtering process due to collection of sediment on the outside of them.

My problem is that the port on the end of the filters is where the smell is coming from, which makes me think its inside them.

Perhaps Ill call Berkey tomorrow on my lunch break.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Since mildew prefers a moist environment, how about thoroughly drying the filter before storage?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my shot:
1)  clean filter as per instructions
2)  hand dry as well as possible
3)  air dry for 20 minutes or so with a fan
4) place in a vacuum sealer bag with desiccant packets.
5)  pump down to a vacuum and seal

Any remaining water will be vaporized and sucked into the desiccant.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
These are good ideas. I think I'll give them a go and see where we end up.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
So you're sayin' that you got a murky Berkey?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]
tag

I've never had this problem with our Royal?  We keep it going though.  It's all we drink (no soda or tea) so it cycles pretty quickly.  We're on a well, so have no experience with the Fluoride Filters.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you're sayin' that you got a murky Berkey?
View Quote

Sort of!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Run some vinegar through it, maybe?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I ain't cleaned my katadyn drip in 5-+ years....daily use....

Oh....this is a shiny look pretty berkey thread....:p

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top