Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 6:53:20 PM EDT
I've seen these bags running from less than $100 to $500.  I would like to get a decent sleeping bag that will pack down pretty small.  Small usually = expensive.  I came across some of these and wondered if y'all had any experience with them.

SNUGPAK - TRAVELPAK SLEEPING BAG

"The Travelpak 1, the smallest Travelpak of the range, this amazingly small pack size sleeping bag is perfect in the warmer or tropical climates. Complete with built in mosquito net, antibacterial finishes and compression stuff sack.
Temperature:: 45°F / 36°F     7°C / 2°C
Length:: 86 in 220 cm Weight:: 30 Oz 850 Grams Width:: 64 in 164 cm Pack Size:: 6 x 7 in 15 x 18 cm

The Travelpak 2 is a small two season sleeping bag is great for those who need that extra warmth on the move but need to keep weight to a minimum. Complete with built in mosquito net and antibacterial fabrics. Temperature:: 36°F / 27°F    2°C / -3°C
Temperature:: 36°F / 27°F     2°C / -3°C
Length:: 86 in 220 cm Weight:: 39 Oz 1106 Grams Width:: 64 in 164 cm Pack Size:: 8 x 8 in 19 x 19 cm

The Travelpak 3 is great for travellers who need the extra warmth of a three season sleeping bag but like the versatility of the small travel pack size and built in mosquito net. Complete with antibacterial fabrics and compression stuff sack.
Temperature:: 27°F / 20°F     -3°C / -7°C
Length:: 86 in 220 cm Weight:: 53 Oz 1503 Grams Width:: 64 in 164 cm Pack Size:: 8 x 9 in 21 x 22 cm

The Travelpak 4 is the warmest of the Travelpak range this bag offers travellers who like to explore the colder climates and the option of still using the state of the art antibacterial fabrics and built in mosquito net. Complete with compression stuff sack.
Temperature:: 20°F / 14°F     -7°C / -10°C
Length:: 86 in 218 cm Weight:: 67 Oz 1900 Grams Width:: 64 in 164 cm Pack Size:: 9 x 10 in 23 x 25 cm"

SNUGPAK - SLEEPER XTREME SLEEPING BAG
The development of the Sleeper Extreme was out of a need for a cost effective well rounded sleeping bag that could operate at pretty frigid temperatures around the world. The Sleeper Extreme has been used in places most of us never knew existed. The compromise made here on pack size is more than compensated for in the overall performance.

Temperature:: 20°F / 11°F      -7°C / -12°C

Length:

86 in
218 cm
Width:

60 in
152 cm
Weight:

74 Oz
2098 Grams
Pack Size:

12 x 12 in
30 x 30 cm

SNUGPAK - SLEEPER EXPEDITION SLEEPING BAG
Many have been surprised at the features and construction of the Sleeper Expedition as these are things you would normally expect to see in a much higher priced sleeping bag. Our engineers and design team really came up with a great 4 season bag here. For those that need a 0°F bag at a very reasonable price, then the Sleeper Expedition is exactly what the Dr. ordered.

Temperature:: 10°F / 0°F      -12°C / -17°C

Length:

86 in
218 cm
Width:

60 in
152 cm
Weight:

92 Oz
2608 Grams
Pack Size:

14 in
36 x 36 cm

I was also wondering about Alps Mountaineering

ALPS MOUNTAINEERING - CRESCENT LAKE +20° WIDE SLEEPING BAG
TechLoft+ Insulation
2-layer Offset Construction
Multiple Sizes and Temperatures
#8 Separating Zippers
Insulated Chest and Zipper Baffle
210T Polyester Outer Fabric
210T Polyester Liner
Standard Stuff Sack

ALPS MOUNTAINEERING - BLUE SPRINGS +20° REGULAR SLEEPING BAG
MicroX+ Insulation
2-layer Offset Construction
Multiple Sizes and Temperatures
35 Degree Styles Offer a Second Zipper Option
#8 Separating Zippers
Insulated Zipper Baffle
210T Nylon Ripstop Outer Fabric
210T Polyester Liner
Compression Stuff Sack

Has anyone had any experience with these?  Why are they so much cheaper than the other Snugpaks   A 20 degree bag that packs to 9x10 inches for less than $100 sounds too good to be true as does the 20 degree bag that is 12x12 for the same price.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They are not "tactical" ;)
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I wrote this a while ago:

I have sleeper lite squarefoots for my wife and I, the zippers are definitely the weak point, however, that may be due to the squarefoot design with two zippers, one broke after two uses (basically I have a loose zipper piece I need to keep track off, it falls off the tracks). One is perfectly fine and seems to be of a different generation (I had to order from two separate places to get the opposing zips to make one big wife snuggling bag) and has seemingly a better quality zipper. Sleeper line is made in China, not sure about the other high dollar bags. Neither have what I would consider high quality zippers though, but higher quality than most bags I've had.

The sleeper line in no way compared to their ultra expensive bags that I looked at in store, but for my needs (camping in TX and FL) they are pretty lightweight, comfortable and I can live with (or get fixed, I am just lazy) the zipper piece. I'ts much smaller and better than a coleman walmart style bag, and compresses pretty well considering it isn't the super fancy materials. The inner and outershell are very comfortable. I can't speak to the cold rating, we use these in a USMC two man tent and pretty much just use as a lower and upper blanket, the body heat being enough in that tent to keep it warm as I need it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wrote this a while ago:

I have sleeper lite squarefoots for my wife and I, the zippers are definitely the weak point, however, that may be due to the squarefoot design with two zippers, one broke after two uses (basically I have a loose zipper piece I need to keep track off, it falls off the tracks). One is perfectly fine and seems to be of a different generation (I had to order from two separate places to get the opposing zips to make one big wife snuggling bag) and has seemingly a better quality zipper. Sleeper line is made in China, not sure about the other high dollar bags. Neither have what I would consider high quality zippers though, but higher quality than most bags I've had.

The sleeper line in no way compared to their ultra expensive bags that I looked at in store, but for my needs (camping in TX and FL) they are pretty lightweight, comfortable and I can live with (or get fixed, I am just lazy) the zipper piece. I'ts much smaller and better than a coleman walmart style bag, and compresses pretty well considering it isn't the super fancy materials. The inner and outershell are very comfortable. I can't speak to the cold rating, we use these in a USMC two man tent and pretty much just use as a lower and upper blanket, the body heat being enough in that tent to keep it warm as I need it.
View Quote

Thanks. That helps. What temperature rating would you think for north east Alabama 3 season. I'm thinking 30 degree if it gets colder use a liner.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't speak to those particular models.  I have an Elite 3, which works nicely.  I'd say it's a decently designed bag, and packs down reasonably well for synthetic fill.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Of the ones listed, I think the Xtreme would probably fit your need best. I have the sleeper lite, good for early fall season in the NE. The Xtreme a good 3 season bag. And the Expedition would be best suited for winter camping. For what it is worth.....
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Sleeper Lite mummy (20F) and liked it a lot. It was much warmer than my 30F Kelty rectangular bag, it packs down to a very reasonable size, the quality of materials seems pretty good especially for the price, it seems durable, and I got it for under $60 on Amazon. I sleep cold but I tested it down to low 40's iirc and was very comfortable on a 1.5" self inflating pad. I would've probably been fine down to mid 30's, so someone who doesn't sleep so cold could probably take this bag to about 25F.

Now, that said, I just sold my Snugpak to a buddy last week after only 3 uses. I am trying to get more into lightweight backpacking so when I find great deals on high quality items, I buy. I went for a 15F down bag that is 1lb lighter, warmer, and packs up to about half the size of the Snugpak. The snugpack sleeper lite is a nice bag at a great price point but it didn't fit my needs.

Knowing what I know now and the fact that I want to keep weight and pack size in check, I'd go for an entry-level down bag, specifically a Kelty cosmic down 20 or 40 (depending on season/climate), for only $40-60 more versus a synthetic. In fact, I was debating a snugpack jungle bag or Cosmic down 40 for a summer bag, and I'm 90% sure I'm going to get the Kelty, though I may still get a Jungle bag for my GHB.

ETA:
btw don't count on a liner to do much for you. I've found, and read, that a good insulated pad does much more for helping you retain your heat and therefore stay warm than a liner. Again since I sleep cold and because I often sleep on my side, I use a Klymit Static V Insulated, $65, 1.5lb, packs down to the size of a fat Nalgene, and very comfortable. So comfortable that my fiance` made me buy her one and my buddy bought one immediately upon returning home from our first trip where I tried the Klymit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#7]
What are the opinions on the jungle bag? Warm weather only?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Snugpak Softie Elite 1. It says it has a comfort rating of 45F and an extreme rating down to 35F, but I was definitely cold in 45F. I have a jungle blanket to supplement the warmth.

I also have the Snugpak Sleeper Xtreme, and I would say the temperature rating is accurate.

Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, it's a very thin, lightweight bag. I got one for my GHB and summer backpacking.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

AIUI, the Jungle Bag has the same thickness and filler as the Jungle Blanket, just in a bag format. I have the Jungle Blanket and view it as an improved woobie. In that role, it's awesome.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Getting back to the original post a bit... Are you looking for a bag for SHTF/BOB or for general camping/backpacking? Any reason you're not looking at down bags since you want a small pack size? What is your budget?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The backpacking snugpak bags generally suck. You'll read a lot of zipper breaking problems and they are far from the warmest of bags. Crazy for how much they charge. My suggestion if you want light, go with whatever Eberlestock sleeping bag you need. They are reasonable priced and the warmest synthetic per weight out there. You won't find a bad review out there on them. REI type bags are maybe a tad bit lighter but the durability on them is crap. One rip through the thin material and bye bye
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The backpacking snugpak bags generally suck. You'll read a lot of zipper breaking problems and they are far from the warmest of bags. Crazy for how much they charge. My suggestion if you want light, go with whatever Eberlestock sleeping bag you need. They are reasonable priced and the warmest synthetic per weight out there. You won't find a bad review out there on them. REI type bags are maybe a tad bit lighter but the durability on them is crap. One rip through the thin material and bye bye
View Quote

There is no perfect bag. It's a constant balance between weight, pack size, price, and durability. You could say it's a typical "pick two", weight, pack size, or price. Durability typically comes with higher weight (tougher materials) or price (higher quality mfg methods). My $350 marmot bag and $60 snugpak jungle bag both pack down to the same size but the marmot is a 15F down bag at 2.4lb while the snugpak is a 45F synthetic bag at 2lb. Completely different purposes. Also my snugpak sleeper lite was only 1lb heavier than the marmot, not quite as warm, but 3x the pack size. I can't imagine a synthetic bag being ideal in any backpacking situation for the sake of weight an bulk, however they are great for general purpose and survival.

Different tool, different mission.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is no perfect bag. It's a constant balance between weight, pack size, price, and durability. You could say it's a typical "pick two", weight, pack size, or price. Durability typically comes with higher weight (tougher materials) or price (higher quality mfg methods). My $350 marmot bag and $60 snugpak jungle bag both pack down to the same size but the marmot is a 15F down bag at 2.4lb while the snugpak is a 45F synthetic bag at 2lb. Completely different purposes. Also my snugpak sleeper lite was only 1lb heavier than the marmot, not quite as warm, but 3x the pack size. I can't imagine a synthetic bag being ideal in any backpacking situation for the sake of weight an bulk, however they are great for general purpose and survival.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to their "Special Forces" sleeping bag, comparing apples to apples. That whole system - the two bags - is a ridiculous $500+ for temperature ratings that are pretty pathetic compared to the Eberlestock synthetic two bag kit that retails for less (actually they are Carinthia bags, just distributed by Eberlestock in U.S.). On top of that, seems every review out there has broken Snugpak zippers on that particular sleeping bag series within the first or second outing.

I have a bag very similar to the level one Eberlestock offers - although Eberlestock's insulation is even better than the Primaloft in mine. I think these heavier duty sleeping bags are more relevant to the OP's search which is why I suggested them. Synthetic bag, very durable with waterproof bottom, super compressible, 2.4lbs, and Comfort 40F/Push 10F. Main point is, the synthetic bags do exist, you just have to know where to look. If OP is looking to spend the money, it's a no brainer. That's what happens when one company offers a synthetic insulator that is proprietary and unmatched

ETA: Also I can attest to the temperature ratings as I've done it. The push is exactly that, it sucks, but you'll get through it. I believe the $60 bag you are referring to is not part of their backpack line. I was under the impression OP was looking at their backpack line $150-$200 in which I wanted to point out money would be much better spent elsewhere - with both better craftsmanship and insulation

http://eberlestock.com/Sleeping%20Bags.htm
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was referring to their "Special Forces" sleeping bag, comparing apples to apples. That whole system - the two bags - is a ridiculous $500+ for temperature ratings that are pretty pathetic compared to the Eberlestock synthetic two bag kit that retails for less (actually they are Carinthia bags, just distributed by Eberlestock in U.S.). On top of that, seems every review out there has broken Snugpak zippers on that particular sleeping bag series within the first or second outing.

I have a bag very similar to the level one Eberlestock offers - although Eberlestock's insulation is even better than the Primaloft in mine. I think these heavier duty sleeping bags are more relevant to the OP's search which is why I suggested them. Synthetic bag, very durable with waterproof bottom, super compressible, 2.4lbs, and Comfort 40F/Push 10F. Main point is, the synthetic bags do exist, you just have to know where to look. If OP is looking to spend the money, it's a no brainer. That's what happens when one company offers a synthetic insulator that is proprietary and unmatched

ETA: Also I can attest to the temperature ratings as I've done it. The push is exactly that, it sucks, but you'll get through it. I believe the $60 bag you are referring to is not part of their backpack line. I was under the impression OP was looking at their backpack line $150-$200 in which I wanted to point out money would be much better spent elsewhere - with both better craftsmanship and insulation

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Jungle bag since it was most recently mentioned and you said "backpacking bags". No way anyone is taking the Special forces combo backpacking, that thing is huge and even the lighter bag alone is heavy at just shy if 3lb for a 41F bag.

Not to start an argument here, but none of the Eberlstock bags fit what the OP is looking for in his first post based upon their specs. All of the bags he's posted are 20F-30F bags, Eberelstock only has a 45, 5, and -22F, all of which are pretty heavy IMO. From what I've read however, the Ultralight may be a conservative rating at 40F, so let's call it a 30F bag, making its 2.5lb weight and 10x7 pack size reasonable, not bad for $200 given Eberlstock's reputation of quality.

I agree wholeheartedly that Snugpak's bags are overpriced when you get outside of the Traveler, Sleeper, and Softie series. "Super compressible" is quite subjective ,synthetic simply isn't as compressible as down. Regardless, it seems the OP is really interested in the ~$100 or less bags. Hopefully he'll chime back in to set us straight as to what he's really after.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Jungle bag since it was most recently mentioned and you said "backpacking bags". No way anyone is taking the Special forces combo backpacking, that thing is huge and even the lighter bag alone is heavy at just shy if 3lb for a 41F bag.

Not to start an argument here, but none of the Eberlstock bags fit what the OP is looking for in his first post based upon their specs. All of the bags he's posted are 20F-30F bags, Eberelstock only has a 45, 5, and -22F, all of which are pretty heavy IMO. From what I've read however, the Ultralight may be a conservative rating at 40F, so let's call it a 30F bag, making its 2.5lb weight and 10x7 pack size reasonable, not bad for $200 given Eberlstock's reputation of quality.

I agree wholeheartedly that Snugpak's bags are overpriced when you get outside of the Traveler, Sleeper, and Softie series. "Super compressible" is quite subjective ,synthetic simply isn't as compressible as down. Regardless, it seems the OP is really interested in the ~$100 or less bags. Hopefully he'll chime back in to set us straight as to what he's really after.
View Quote

Gotcha. Good info there.

Here's a size comparison for a bag I have very similar to the Eberlestock. It was bought on a whim at the time (as there wasn't a single review out there) and turned out to be a well made bag. Owner of the company died shortly after the product was introduced and whoever took over it went in a different direction or shut down the whole operation I guess. I paid $99 for mine. Tactical Assault Systems T1 bag is what it's called if you can find them. Specs are 3.2lbs, length of DVD cubed in terms of compressed size, waterproof bottom, thermal as well as mosquito net hood, Primaloft insulation, YKK zippers, reinforced feet area, 40F comfort/18F push. A little bit heavier and little less warmth than the Eberlestock, but half the cost. Something for OP to consider if on a budget. I'm approaching a couple dozen nights in it, mostly used as the shelter itself. The Teflon bottom is nice as any mud wipes right off. Bag looks as it did bought new

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I want something that I can pack in a fairly small get home bag as well as use on a few weekend hikes or hunting trips. Winters here aren't too bad but it was 60 yesterday and 19 this morning. I would pay $200 for a bag if I thought I would use it. As it is now I haven't been camping in a very long time but have been talking to some buddies about doing some. The only sleeping bag I have is a circa mid 90's Coleman that stuffs down to the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Since I'm unsure how much use it will see I would like to keep it under $100. If I see that it will get more use (doubtful with two kids oldest having just turned 2) I could always upgrade and have a spare.

I'm not too worried about summer weather as anything thicker than a T-shirt in Alabama's humidity and you're basically in a sauna.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I want something that I can pack in a fairly small get home bag as well as use on a few weekend hikes or hunting trips. Winters here aren't too bad but it was 60 yesterday and 19 this morning. I would pay $200 for a bag if I thought I would use it. As it is now I haven't been camping in a very long time but have been talking to some buddies about doing some. The only sleeping bag I have is a circa mid 90's Coleman that stuffs down to the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Since I'm unsure how much use it will see I would like to keep it under $100. If I see that it will get more use (doubtful with two kids oldest having just turned 2) I could always upgrade and have a spare.

I'm not too worried about summer weather as anything thicker than a T-shirt in Alabama's humidity and you're basically in a sauna.
View Quote

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that fits what I said above?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Snugpak Softie Merlin 3

got it for less than $100 off eBay new, but that was 5-6 years ago.

40/32 rating, which is about 3-5 degrees too optimistic IME

I am 6' 2" and 198# and the bag is a bit tight in the shoulder area

But it packs up small and is a decent choice for the avg Alabama weather year round, esp the farther south you go in the state.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top