Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 12:33:34 AM EDT
I am looking to get a decent and lightweight cookware set.  It will be used for camping when we have to pack in and also to be used in my BOB.  We are a family of six so I don't just want a simple 2-piece set, but also don't want or need 10lbs of cookware.  I have been looking at the following 2 sets just to give you an example of what I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/ALOCS-Person-Outdoor-Cooking-Sets/dp/B00MWR96S6/ref=sr_1_27?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1421116308&sr=1-27

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-1324-Cooking-Aluminum-10-Pc/dp/B00GVKRG1E/ref=pd_sbs_sg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DZXX7TYJG79SKCP3R0D

Does anyone have experience with either set or have another suggestion?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
GSI Outdoors makes good stuff.  Lightweight and quality.   They make sets for solo hikers on up to family camping.  You can usually find good deals on Amazon for it, or at REI.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It isn't the lightest thing in the work, but the USGI meat pans pull double duty as a pan and a plate, each person could carry their own.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the .8L kettle from the 1st set.  It is great, a very effecient light weight kettle for solo cooking.  They run $15-$20, so it looks like that entire kit for $50 is a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My family used a variation of THIS ONE when I was growing up.

For backpacking with my family, I just use MSRs 1.5 and 2 liter pots and occasionally an old folding handle Mirro nonstick Aluminum frying pan (if I think I'll use it).  Each family member is responsible for carrying their own place setting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I will check out the GSI stuff, seems good but a little pricey.  

Anyone else have the ALOCS stuff?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Backpacking, + family of 6 = a couple of light aluminum 2L pans, plus 1x 4L covered pot.  Lexan silverware all around, and individual cups for each person.  This assumes a group cooking situation, where Mom does most of the cooking, for the group.

Once you haven't bathed for a couple of weeks, the need for a huge, maybe 5 gallon pot becomes screamingly obvious.  With this, you have the ability to create mass amounts of hot/warm water, which filthy bathers will definitely appreciate.  They can scoop out a gallon at a time, soap up, and an assistant can then slowly dump over them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I large pot...6 sporks...6 nalgenes....problem solved

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#8]
What kind of cooking are you planning.

Boiling water vs preparing real food?

Fresh game or fish vs canned preps?

Cooking from scratch preps?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a small pot with lid that my whisperlite stove fits in. Inside its storage bag. That's about as stripped down as I could get lol

i think its this one http://www.rei.com/product/401067/open-country-2-quart-pot-with-lid#tab-specs
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.rei.com/product/401157/msr-alpine-2-pot-set

This MSR set is what I use/ have been using for years. Backpacking mainly but it's been car camping too. My whisperlight stove nests in it, the lid doubles as a plate and it has a nice stuff sack. It's light and super tough.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top