Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2014 6:40:48 PM EDT
Hi guys its my first post in the outdoor forum but I am looking for a good weather radio for my grandfather. I don't have any experience with these and I don't need anything fancy just something with a display on it. Doesn't need am/fm radio built in, but something solid and easy to use. Also not looking for anything super expensive so any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both a Midland W300 (with AM/FM)  and a Reecom R1630 (no AM/FM)... both have SAME county specific warning and the ability to lock out unwanted warnings... both have AC adapters and AA capability... I like the Reecom in that once the SAME alert warning has sounded, the nature of the alert is an audible broadcast, the Midland a digital... a moderator on another forum reported problems with his Midland, and suggested the Reecom, but my Midland has worked well...

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently purchased the Reecom R-1650 and I feel that for the money, it's a great radio. The 1650 includes AM/FM as well which might be nice for your grandfather since it's an all-im-one unit. If he listens to the radio at all, he might feel more comfortable using a radio like this. These are programable for your location and you can choose which alerts you are notified of. As mentioned in the previous post, they have an AC adapter and battery back-up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome thank you for the information! The Midland is the one that I had been looking at but I will definitely have to look into the Reecom as well. The Midland I was looking at was the one with the alarm but not the am/fm radio here

Is there any need to go with an external antenna or do the provided antennas get the job done?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I purchased two of the Midland wr100's a couple of years ago.  Both have very poor reception.  

My bubble pack gmrs/FRS radios with weather receive much better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Michigun... I'm about 25 miles from the repeater in Largo, Fla, but typically have the channel selector for the main transmitter in Riverview, Fla which is about 50miles... I have no problem with reception with either the Midland or Reecom with the built in telescoping antennas... as above I did not get good service from the cheaper Midland W100 radio
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I second the C Crane Radio.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I also had abysmal reception with the Midland unit even with a external antenna.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The Reecom and the Sangean CL-100 are equal in terms of weather radio performance and customization.  I give the edge to the Sangean because the AM/FM audio quality was pretty good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top