Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2014 10:28:40 PM EDT
Looking for a sleep pad.. I do not know a lot about the options.. I have a Surplus 4 piece sleep system that I like :-).. Im looking for a comfortable pad.. Weight is not a huge concern...Thoughts ? Suggestions?  BTW   does AR!5 have a camping / hiking section?  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Is budget a concern?

The Klymit pads seemed nice. I like the z-lite though, I am paranoid about popping anything inflatable, even though they are more comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thermarest or Big Agnes. You can pick one up at REI or Backwoods.
As long as you skip the "ultralight" models, you shouldn't have any durability issues.
If at all possible, go to the store and try one out; even if you end up buying online for a better price.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the older version of the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Dream Sleeping Pad.

As a scout master I was on camp outs monthly and a couple of scout camps with this and it allowed me to sleep very well.  

It's not a backpacking mat though at over 4lbs. For back packing I had a thinner thermarest.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Time of year you intend to use it really determines what you need.

I've slept on a frozen lake next to my ice fishing hole on a thermarest trail pro that took up space on the hike in but had a decent R value.  It was more than what I wanted to hump in during the summer where having a thermal barrier wasn't important.  I'm not picky about what will work when it isn't cold and weight is more of an issue so I will leave that to someone else.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea time of year usage is a big factor.  If you are looking for just a 3 season pad then just about any of the big names will have enough r value to get you through that, but if you want to use it in the winter you need an r value near 5.  Even higher possibly depending on where you live.  

With that said I find the Klymit inflatable pads to be a good middle ground of value and performance.  I especially like their recon models (military versions in a coyote brown type color) because they are made with a thicker denier on the bottom for better puncture resistance.  

Most will laugh, but of all the big name pads I've tried or owned, this one is far and away the most comfortable for me.  

It has a built in pillow is built wide to cradle the person laying in it, and as a 3 quarter pad (legs don't need insulation from the ground like your heavier and more sensitive upper body does) it has a gradual slope to the ground so there isn't a noticeable drop off.  

If you are in fact into 4 season camping and with weight not being a concern like you said most people will get a good 3 season pad and then a good foam pad for the winter and just place the 3 season pad on top of the foam pad and get the necessary r value that way.

This is my favorite foam pad.  Depending on how you like to sleep you might be able to get away with just this.  I've trained myself to do it, and take just a foam out sometimes, but it definitely is not as comfy, especially for side sleepers.

The other option being to just get an insulated pad (the klymit static v I first linked has an insulated version for winter).  

Either way this is a very individualized thing.  If you have an REI close by they are great because they have all of their models already blown up and ready to try and you can lay on all of them and get a feel for what you like.  Also the 1 year return policy is good because I take mine home and beat the shit out of them, and if they survive, I keep them.  There is a video from klymit of them jumping up and down with thick boots on their pads and them surviving just fine.  I do that with all of my pads and let my dogs jump all over them.  If they survive that I trust them.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Over the years I've decided I really don't like inflatable mats when it's winter time or mountaineering.  If you get one light enough you can actually carry it, it will compress in some areas and give you cold spots (for me shoulders, hips and the backs of my ankles).  Also for quality pads you're going to spend some more money on an inflatable.  

I'm a big fan of the z-rest style or ridgerest pads, for me they work a lot better in the cold.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the thickest Thermarest that you can find.  I bought a heavier one back when I was in Afghanistan and it kept me comfortable sleeping on a cot for 11 months.  If weight isn't a concern, go big!
CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Over the years I've decided I really don't like inflatable mats when it's winter time or mountaineering.  If you get one light enough you can actually carry it, it will compress in some areas and give you cold spots (for me shoulders, hips and the backs of my ankles).  Also for quality pads you're going to spend some more money on an inflatable.  

I'm a big fan of the z-rest style or ridgerest pads, for me they work a lot better in the cold.
View Quote
I don't discount your experience at all, and agree with everything else you said, but technology moves fast these days.  There are some great winter inflatables and self inflatables that are consistently the go to for mountaineering and winter camping in general.   But you are right, they are quite expensive.  I've done a lot of winter camping with just a ridgerest and done ok, but at 2.8 R value, the cold can creep in a bit (a lot depends if you use syntehtic or down sleeping bag).  Stacking two of them has never failed me though and is IMO quite comfy.  With that said my thermarest xtherm hasn't failed me either, and is more comfy and half the weight and bulk.  But like 9x the money :(  

OP I forgot to answer your forum question.  There is no dedicated hiking/camping forum.  This is it.  At the risk of offending someone, this is not the best place to get info for actual backpacking.  It is a great forum, but obviously geared toward survivalist gear.  If you treat your camping like bug out practice (that is how I started and a great way to do it IMO), the info here will likely serve you pretty well.  If you want to take up backpacking as a hobby, there are much better dedicated forums out there that will likely save you some time, money, and comfort in the woods by going directly there.  With that said, there are some guys who backpack here, and their info is always good.  Just have to know how to filter that.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, gear in this forum can range widely.  I do a lot of backpacking, so bulk and weight are always a consideration; however, I do value comfort.  When I'm sleeping on the ground, I use an Exped UL7 pad.  I've had great performance and no issues with it.  Still, I always pack a section of the closed-cell foam Z-Rest (six section to be specific).  It just rides inside my pack folded up against the frame and my back.  This is my "emergency" sleeping pad and used as a chair as well.  

I have a pro-discount with Klymit and picked up a couple of their military pads.  These are interesting, compact and pretty light.  So far, so good, but I only have a couple nights using both the long and recon versions.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Exped mats. I have the synmat 7 and ul 7.great pads
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Here a pic of our tent during my last hunting trip to CO.
Weight was a concern for us, 10 days worth of gear for a hunting trip 7 miles away from the truck requires careful planning.  We were on foot.  Average pack weight was 70~80 lbs.
Its hard to go light on gear when your actually hunting and bushwhacking 10 days on end.  Walking through the thickets crossing streams, hunting is very different then just hiking because your out there dark to dark once base camp is setup so having good quality dry gear, clothing, boots etc is key.

As far as sleeping pads go I use your basic wally world foam pad.  Might cost $10?  Nice and light, can strap any where to your pack, provides a good bit of comfort and insulation but does not compare to the air pads for comfort.

Mine is pictured all the way to the right.  My dads, next to mine is an expensive air mattress.  Very light and very comfortable. Probably cost 5X what mine does.  When you look further left you can see the variation depending on what is preferred.  I go light and basic.  Other go expensive and comfortable.  I think it all comes down to what your doing, how much you want to pay, and what comfort level your trying to obtain.
Sorry I am not much help as far as suggestions.  Comfort is not a huge issue for me because as long as I have a flat, or slightly inclined sleeping surface with no rocks or sticks I have no issues.

Lived here for 7 days:

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is budget a concern?

The Klymit pads seemed nice. I like the z-lite though, I am paranoid about popping anything inflatable, even though they are more comfortable.
View Quote

another good value pad is the blue CLOSED cell foam pads from walmart. they are less than $10 each and I even used one on a Mt Rainier climb.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

another good value pad is the blue CLOSED cell foam pads from walmart. they are less than $10 each and I even used one on a Mt Rainier climb.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is budget a concern?

+1  I have one of those to, but I primarily use the green foam pads.  Both sides are smooth.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I know most guys on the SF don't buy high end gear, but a sleeping pad is one thing I wouldn't go cheap on. Of the sleeping pads I have experience with, the best I know of is the Exped Synmat with down insulation and a built in hand pump. The thing flat rocks, but it's $160....

I've had a Big Agnes insulated mat that has served me well for years, but I hate having to blow it up after a long day and setting up camp. Could be a little warmer too, but at $60 it's pretty good. Packed size is small too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know most guys on the SF don't buy high end gear, but a sleeping pad is one thing I wouldn't go cheap on. Of the sleeping pads I have experience with, the best I know of is the Exped Synmat with down insulation and a built in hand pump. The thing flat rocks, but it's $160....

I've had a Big Agnes insulated mat that has served me well for years, but I hate having to blow it up after a long day and setting up camp. Could be a little warmer too, but at $60 it's pretty good. Packed size is small too.
View Quote

Wisdom.

The older I get, the more I value comfort. My favorite pad is an Exped Downmat 9. They cost $270. They are so worth it. More comfortable than my bed at home.

I sometimes have a 120 mile commute, and at odd hours. Several times I've just pulled into a parking lot and rolled out the bad and a sleeping bag in the back of my car and gotten some sleep, or waited out a snowstorm. It's paid for itself by saving me hotel rooms.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Rodent, are you hammock camping? I think I remember you like primitive and lightweight/minimalist camping.. I have to say that a Hennessy hammock, inflatable pad, and a down bag - preferably with a sleeve for the pad - is about as comfortable as the couch I'm laying on right now. I haven't done a lot of cold weather tent camping with inflatable sleeping pads like the Big Agnes or Exped, but I have spent a lot of cooooold nights in a hammock with them and they did well.

Just an incredible amount of comfort and good sleep in a very small packed space, these three things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top