Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 6:23:12 AM EDT
Any recommendations? Preferably looking for one in multicam.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not get a 4 season tent unless I was going to use it in very heavy snowy and windy condition for the majority of the time. They are notoriously hot and sweaty in all but the coldest of conditions. That and they are considerably heavier. They build a lot of condensation up inside and don't breathe well.
A very good sleeping bag(s) will allow a good 3 season tent to be used most of the time.
There are no 4 season tents, it's a misnomer. They are winter tents. Their advantage is that are less likely to collapse under snow or high winds. They are not warmer, but they are wetter.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any recommendations? Preferably looking for one in multicam.
View Quote

Can't help you with multicam, but the Hilleberg Staika is one helluva 4-season tent, great blend of lightweight and tough.  They do come in subdued colors - jsut not camo.

Sticker shock might be an issue, though.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not get a 4 season tent unless I was going to use it in very heavy snowy and windy condition for the majority of the time. They are notoriously hot and sweaty in all but the coldest of conditions. That and they are considerably heavier. They build a lot of condensation up inside and don't breathe well.
A very good sleeping bag(s) will allow a good 3 season tent to be used most of the time.
There are no 4 season tents, it's a misnomer. They are winter tents. Their advantage is that are less likely to collapse under snow or high winds. They are not warmer, but they are wetter.

Cheers!
-JC
View Quote

I disagree, and cite my recommendation above as evidence.

The only reason I own a 3-season tent is 1)  I like redundancy and backup and 2) backpacking, where every pound counts

My Hilleberg is my go-to tent year-round.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I am not familiar with that tent. I'll have explore that one when I get an opportunity.
My experiences are as I described. But I have always been using them for backpacking/winter camping backcountry ski trips and climbing trips; so have been hauling them on my back. So I have always been weight conscious with my gear.I've owned 3 different ones over the years.
But I don't doubt one can get 4 season use from one, it's just never happened after being in at least 5 different ones for multiple nights.
It has been a while though.
I'd rather put the money into an excellent bag and bivy to get the most out of whatever shelter we are using.

Cheers!
-JC

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am not familiar with that tent. I'll have explore that one when I get an opportunity.
My experiences are as I described. But I have always been using them for backpacking/winter camping backcountry ski trips and climbing trips; so have been hauling them on my back. So I have always been weight conscious with my gear.I've owned 3 different ones over the years.
But I don't doubt one can get 4 season use from one, it's just never happened after being in at least 5 different ones for multiple nights.
It has been a while though.
I'd rather put the money into an excellent bag and bivy to get the most out of whatever shelter we are using.

Cheers!
-JC

View Quote

I've slept in that Hilleberg in the Summer in Florida.  Those things are wonders of engineering.  But... you pay for it.

I have no doubt "winter" tents at lower price points would be less breathable and heavier and what not.  Otherwise, who would pay a grand for a Hilleberg?  But, the only other winter tents I know personally are canvas.

FWIW, that Hilleberg is still lighter than the Eureka I carried in the '80s.  It's just heavy compared to the lighter modern 3-season tents.

There's good reason those guys can get away with charging so much.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Is weight a factor? What about a floor?

I am going to pick up the smaller version of this tent in the spring, I am shifting from hammocking to tenting. It would be a tight fit probably, but less space to keep warm in the winter.

http://www.campmor.com/appy-trails-mark-v-4-5-person-tent.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=10021WC&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Kifaru sawtooth with stove.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Seek Outside's Lil Bugout is a great system with a lot of versatility.  I consider pyramids to be the best 4 season tents out there because they can stand the wind and snow load better than most traditional "tent" designs, but without the added weight.  

What I would do, is get 2 bases and a nest.  Use one base as a floorless shelter most of the year (or base + nest if floorless is not your thing), and in the winter attach it to the other base for a proven and storm worthy 4 season shelter.  Can still have the nest inside the double base for 2 sleepers and a sizable vestibule/relaxing area.  

http://store.seekoutside.com/lil-bug-out-shelter-base/

Here is a pic of just the base:

Base + Nest:

Inside of base + base configuration (yes two bases are meant to be zipped together and extended into a larger 4 season shelter).

Alternate pitch of just base for a little more protection:

Video of a hunter using just a base:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AkGfqGdXDo

I have no financial interest in this company, but after 2 months of research I was able to sell all of my other shelters and just use some combination of this for all of my needs.  Had a tent for when my GF and the dogs wanted to go, A regular tarp shelter, and a mid style tarp shelter.  This does each of those jobs better IMO.  I like light weight backpacking as a hobby so most of the year I'll just use the base as a floorless shelter.  The regular and 2 pole pitch should meet my needs 90% of the time.  My other buddy is getting a base also.  So we each have our 16 ounce bases as our own, if a serious rain storm blows in or we are camping in the winter and want to trap some heat, we just connect the two bases.  Add in either their 2 person nest or a bearpaw wilderness pyranet appropriately sized for your needs and you can do anything.  Also their current color offering called "grizzly brown' is a really dark stealthy brown.  

I sold a Golite Shangri La 3 now that I went with the Lil Bug out system, but that should get an honorable mention.  Comes with a nest so you can use just the tarp or tarp and nest for floor and bug protection.  Never failed me and did its job well.  I just found something that works better for me.  

http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-3-Tent-P46713.aspx

The green they offer is pretty nice from a stealth perspective, but each tie out has reflective stuff on it.  Thing lights up at night if a light is shined on it (not the case with Lil bug out) so you would need to take that off if stealth was a concern.  I hope that helps.  I'm a research junkie with this stuff so had all this stuff on hand :)

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I've needed to set up on too many ricks or concrete slabs in my day - the thought of depending on anything not free-standing gives me the willies.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess I've needed to set up on too many ricks or concrete slabs in my day - the thought of depending on anything not free-standing gives me the willies.
View Quote

Yep definitely a valid concern for some people.  I'd prefer to have a free standing option, just not willing to pay the weight penalty (back packer first, survivalist 2nd) of a true free standing tent.  I've personally never been in a situation where I needed to set up on a concrete slab, but if there are rocks around you can still set it up.  I set non free standing tents up on my deck and indoors plenty of times.  You need about 10lbs of pressure for good conditions and about 30 for really windy conditions.  30lbs of pressure per stake would pretty tough to find for sure, but 10 is really easy.  If I was expecting a serious storm I'd personally just be finding a better camp location, but again my primary motivation is backpacking.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I've slept pretty comfortably during extended  walk in boundary waters fishing trips in one of these:  

A tarp, an insulated ground roll, and a goose down bag go on one side, the hole goes on the other.

Problem is, you need snow and a sled to get it in.  That, and the camo thing doesn't really work for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]
weight is a huge factor. It'll be in a backpack.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have a review of that one I posted earlier, but it will be the next one I try.

Tarp tents get awesome reviews, but they are super expensive.

I am going to be making a tent stove this winter, so I need a floorless system that I can sew a roof jack into it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't have a review of that one I posted earlier, but it will be the next one I try.

I am going to be making a tent stove this winter, so I need a floorless system that I can sew a roof jack into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw this litefighter model I like. 2 man. Got my dog with me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know people sew stove jacks into go lites relatively frequently.  Kifaru shelters come with them as they are designed to be used with a stove.  The lil bug out I posted can be ordered with stove jacks built in, as can all of their other tee pee shelters.  Go lite and DIY probably most cost effective option with Lil bug out + vestibule with a jack sewn in being a close second.  I'm getting a vestibule with jack at some point when I decide to try stoves.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Not my pic, but gives you an idea on how much room.

I have been in mine with temps in the high teens.  With stove blasting, sitting around in short sleeves is comfortable.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/pics/00small45674950.JPG

Not my pic, but gives you an idea on how much room.

I have been in mine with temps in the high teens.  With stove blasting, sitting around in short sleeves is comfortable.

View Quote

This

I made one out of a golite tipi and stove adapter, running a titanium stove

It is awesome, and very lightweight
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, I assume?

http://litefighter.com/product/catamount-2-cold-weather-combat-tent/

Can't vouch for it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would advise against getting any of the surplus GI 2-man Combat Tents.  While they can be augmented with additional stakes and guy-lines for snow/high winds, and so be reasonably suitable for 4-season tents, most examples sold on the surplus market are past their time limit, and the polyurethane coating on the tent fly and the bath tub of the body of the tent will soon show signs of deterioration, and remediation is very problematic.

They are fairly heavy for their size, but that is offset by their strength and durability.

IF you can find one that is fairly new (10 years seems to be the age limit), then such a tent is a possible consideration, if augmented as stated above.  It's not a true winter tent, though it will serve.

I bought a couple Mountain Hardware single person tents a while back from  SKD on a group buy.  I would rather go that way.  YMMV
View Quote

I was looking at the NEW ones. They're $409 for the 2-man multicam. look quite nice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top