Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 8:56:24 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase a decent backpack with a laptop compartment.   I like the overall look of the Oakley 2.0 but it has terrible reviews. Looking for the bag to hold the laptop plus at least goods for an overnight trip and flight. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]

This is what you are looking for. My wife has one  great pack and tuff

http://eberlestock.com/X4%20HiSpeed%20Pack.htm
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the oakley. But the swissgear one I have now is much better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a swissgear, that has lasted for 5+ years and hundreds of flights.

When this one finally goes, I'll get another.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a North Face Surge for many years now. The laptop sleeve is well padded and easily accessible and it is plenty big enough for a couple day's worth of stuff. The bag's been revised since, but I think it would serve your needs well.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Kellty Shrike 30.

Go look at one in person. All the internet videos and most of the pictures are of a prior generation. The new one has a hybrid top-load/panel-load design that works really well. Robust like a top-loader but easy to get into like a panel-loader.  Has a padded compartment that doubles as both a laptop or hydration bladder sleeve. Not too bulky, but big enough to hold a useful amount of gear. It's my go-to for any 1-2 day adventure.  Bonus: It can do tactical without looking tactical. Available in a few different colors.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I been using my North Face backpack for 5 years. I carry a laptop and all sorts of prep gear. It has a waste strap which I rarely use but it's comfortable to carry with about 20 lbs of gear in it.

North Face Borealis Backpack

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had great luck with a Targus XL pack. Fits a "desktop replacement" laptop with 17 inch wide screen, plus an extra keyboard, mouse, cables, etc.

AND there is room for a whole bunch of other stuff in it.  Had it for about 5 years now and tote it around to work and it's in/out of my car all the time as my "on call computer."

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I had Camelbak's version of this pack and used it extensively in Afghanistan. It had enough space I never really needed my issued ruck. Tough as nails, never ripped, tore, or broke my laptop despite constant abuse. In the rear compartment is a hydration bladder space that has a plastic sheet for the frame. I took this out and it fit a 15" laptop perfect . The Camelbak Motherload will also fit a 15" laptop in the hydration bladder compartment and is a pretty good 3-day pack.

I think it is a BFM. It is stored in one of my tough boxes right now. Not sure which one it is too lazy to look now.

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Assault-Pack-Black-3038-Cubic/dp/B004VRKWR4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414032135&sr=8-2&keywords=camelbak+bfm
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had great luck with a Targus XL pack. Fits a "desktop replacement" laptop with 17 inch wide screen, plus an extra keyboard, mouse, cables, etc.

AND there is room for a whole bunch of other stuff in it.  Had it for about 5 years now and tote it around to work and it's in/out of my car all the time as my "on call computer."

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Backpack-Designed-Notebooks-TXL617/dp/B0001EMM10/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1414029776&sr=1-8&keywords=Targus
View Quote

That's what I went with. I got a new ASUS ROG 17" laptop that would not fit into any of the laptop bags I could find locally. The Targus XL fit it like a glove, and seems to be a really nicely made pack.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:15:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had Camelbak's version of this pack and used it extensively in Afghanistan. It had enough space I never really needed my issued ruck. Tough as nails, never ripped, tore, or broke my laptop despite constant abuse. In the rear compartment is a hydration bladder space that has a plastic sheet for the frame. I took this out and it fit a 15" laptop perfect . The Camelbak Motherload will also fit a 15" laptop in the hydration bladder compartment and is a pretty good 3-day pack.

I think it is a BFM. It is stored in one of my tough boxes right now. Not sure which one it is too lazy to look now.

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Assault-Pack-Black-3038-Cubic/dp/B004VRKWR4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414032135&sr=8-2&keywords=camelbak+bfm
View Quote

I've got this bag (BFM) and the Motherload but made by London Bridge Trading. Both fit my 13" MBP in the water bladder area, on the Motherload I stick it (my MBP) into it's own padded sleeve and slide it into a compartment made from comm equipment.

Here is a photo of the enterior of both bags, however I will also add a big +1 for any Swiss gear bags.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#13]
5.11 covrt 18

/thread
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out the Camelbak Urban Assault or Urban Assault XL.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#16]
How about a Pelican backpack?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#17]

If you're willing to spend, saunter over to the GORUCK website and take a look at the GR1.  I carry the GR0 model on a daily basis as a combined EDC/laptop/gym bag.  Very small package, and I'm generally set to work, work out, or unexpectedly spend a few nights from home.  I don't use it as a survival pack, per se.  More of a practical every day pack.  The gym clothes act as a back-up set of clothing.  A couple blades, a couple lights, a note pad, a stainless water bottle, my CCW with holster is in there if not on me, my laptop and cord, phone charger, beanie and Mechanix, tooth brush, lighter and a couple whistles.  

If I pack well, I can get 2-3 night trips out of it.  (I love packing light, though).
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out the Packr Executive from EnerPlex. It has a padded laptop compartment, expands to fit all of your travel gear, and has an integrated solar panel. It charges my iPad during my morning commute into the city, and has a lot of protection for a laptop. http://www.goenerplex.com/products/all-products/packr/packr-executive
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for the double post!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#20]
GORUCK.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

GORUCK.
View Quote
lol no

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
lol no  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GORUCK.
lol no  

Seconded

Goruck bags are the crossfit of the bag world.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Seconded

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GORUCK.
lol no  

Seconded

Totally. Not sure what the "lol no" is about...They are VERY good products. Expensive, but GOOD. One of the best things about them, is that they keep it simple and don't put a billion frigging pockets/compartments on them...too many (more than about 5) compartments just makes a bag a giant pain in the ass...I used to like Maxpedition, until I USED them...

Practical. DURABLE, and made in the U.S.A.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#24]
There are many great bags that do NOT have the word: Urban, assault, shooter, tactical, or the numbers "5" and or "11" in the title/model...
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Totally. Not sure what the "lol no" is about...They are VERY good products. Expensive, but GOOD. One of the best things about them, is that they keep it simple and don't put a billion frigging pockets/compartments on them...too many (more than about 5) compartments just makes a bag a giant pain in the ass...I used to like Maxpedition, until I USED them...

Practical. DURABLE, and made in the U.S.A.

View Quote

lol no is because they offer zero over companies like tactical tailor and london bridge, and charge 4x as much.

It's a gimmick dude. It's the starbucks of the pack world.

Are they good packs? Sure. Are they worth the price? Fuck no.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:51:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Swissgear Blue Ibex, 17" laptop pocket, well built.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#27]
5 bucks to the man who can find me a bag I can fit a 9" barreled ar15 broken down *and* a laptop (a T510) into and not look like a mall ninja.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Forgot to add a suggestion.   For a decent bag that's not too tactical take a look at the Oakley panel pack.  The construction doesn't look super tough but mine has taken a beating and never failed or frayed.   Has a padded laptop sleeve.   Check the EE for one or craigslist, the .mil and LE get them on a price break and I've seen used sell cheap.  

Swiss gear bags are nice and well built, don't know what the old one I have is but I like it.

One if my favorite day bags is a grey ghost gear lightweight assault pack.   Could probably hold a laptop but isn't specifically made for that.  Various colors available.  
Might be tight for a laptop and overnight stuff though.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I have one from Jansport that works OK.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I had an Ogio bag that lasted me daily carrying for almost 6 years, and a couple dozen trips across the atlantic. The best part was the zippered compartment that held the laptop was on the exterior, and it was vertical. The only problem was that the zipper rested "open" at the top, not the bottom. I found out why they phased them out after a fire alarm in a hotel, when my macbook pro tumbled down the stairs. :(

I've now got a 5.11 bag, and while it's nice, it's not really worth the $110 I paid. The only reason I bought it was for the handgun compartment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top