Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2014 10:35:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Maglite Replacement LED Bulb SH33DCW6

Might as well go with what comes from the factory.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't think you can get the Maglite LED separately..  Have heard good things about the TerraLux replacement bulb -- though have not tried it myself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the same light and bought whatever it is that Walmart had onhand.

You'll be happy with the upgrade. No more hot and cold spots in the beam pattern and battery life will really increase.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Unless you need that dinosaur to double as a club I
would get a new light , there are much better options now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really true.

OP, for the D-cell bad boys there is also the Fusion 36 which I have in my 4D maglite, it uses 36 conventional LED's instead of Cree types. Puts out 400 lumens and batts last a long time. Very floody, so we use it in the 'burban as emergency roadside light, brackets are still available to mount it in the vehicle and mine is right by the driver's door. I also added a Bust-a-cap glass breaker bottom cap for it, handy for breaking the glass and also for crushing zombie skulls.

There is also a 1000 lumen module for D-cell Mags, runs about 60 bucks or less when you can find it on sale, more spotlight-ish by far than the Fusion 36, uses 3 Cree's.

So for much less than 100 bucks, you can light up the night in epic fashion, with much more batt capacity than AA's or 3.7 AA-sized will give you, and still have reliability and toughness and emergency-weapon-use of the good ol' solid Maglite.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have a 4 d cell mag light that would fuck someone UP. I know what your talking about though.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I upgraded my two 6D MLs with the TerraLux MiniStar 5s from Battery Junction.  The pair was $33 shipped a couple of years back.  They put out only about 140LM, which is similar to the OEM incan bulb, but the runtimes are a lot longer, due to a lack of heat and better efficiency.

With modern lights being what they are, I wasn't going to drop the coin to upgrade my battle axes above and beyond that ~$30.  I'll let the neighbors borrow them when the next hurricane blows through, however.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've got an older 3 D battery Maglite.  What's a good upgrade bulb to swap it to LED?

Found this on Amazon
View Quote

I recently bought one of those, but the one for the 4-6 cell flashlight, and put it in a 6 cell.  It produced a lot brighter and cleaner light than before.  

I am sure there are other options out there, but for $16 this was good enough for my purposes.

Also I got a new lens, which made a bunch of difference due to mine being scratched to hell:

There were other cheaper ones out there on Ebay, etc, but this one had reviews...

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

+1000 lumens
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The current fetish with light output with little regard as to run time I think is highly questionable.  There are many instances where a fairly low light output is very much desirable, and less blinding than some hand-held torch that has a super high output, which just might be too bright for most users, and lead to a relatively short batt run time.

Define your needs dispassionately, and logically, and the right tool will soon become apparent.
View Quote

QFT.

4 D-cell alkalines in my Mag at 18,000 mAh each

I literally have not had to change the batteries in 4 years, the LED module made a good thing even better.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well, now we get into battery life, and possible damage.  Dump the old batts right away.  I've had a couple of mag lights ruined--and replaced--by old batts.  I don't trust commercial batts beyond 2 years
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The current fetish with light output with little regard as to run time I think is highly questionable.  There are many instances where a fairly low light output is very much desirable, and less blinding than some hand-held torch that has a super high output, which just might be too bright for most users, and lead to a relatively short batt run time.

Define your needs dispassionately, and logically, and the right tool will soon become apparent.

QFT.

4 D-cell alkalines in my Mag at 18,000 mAh each

I literally have not had to change the batteries in 4 years, the LED module made a good thing even better.

Well, now we get into battery life, and possible damage.  Dump the old batts right away.  I've had a couple of mag lights ruined--and replaced--by old batts.  I don't trust commercial batts beyond 2 years

I've been checking them a couple times a week for the last year, they still look fine, no bulges or leaks, at this point i'm curious as to just how long they can go. The light is a little dimmer this year than in previous years.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

You can buy a new LED Maglight for less. Why would it be a good idea to retrofit an old one at that price?

Maglight
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can buy a new LED Maglight for less. Why would it be a good idea to retrofit an old one at that price?

Maglight
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maglight

Better LED and you support a small US made company
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Maglight
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maglight

I take it you're not a member at candlepowerforums

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maglight
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maglight

If you drop a Krypton bulbed ML, you can damage the bulb, so for me, with my two 6Ds, I felt spending $33 for two TerraLux MiniStar 5s was worth the scratch.

I didn't want to move up to the Malkoffs at $70+ at the time, so the 5s were a cost effective option, for me.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Maglight
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maglight

Because the "old" one has my dad's name, date and ID number engraved on it?  It was his last regular Mag before the department went with Magchargers.

In other words, sentimental value...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Ignoring the high-output LED upgrade bulbs for a minute...

An inexpensive, low-output LED can be a VERY handy accessory for an incandescent Maglite.

With a pair of D or C cells, it can give you incredible run-time, and makes the flashlight completely impervious to sudden bulb failure when dropped.

Unlike their more modern counterparts which have a permanently-installed LED, the incandescent Maglite models make it easy to switch between several different LED bulbs - allows you to quickly re-configure the flashlight for maximum brightness or maximum run-time.

Rayovac and Nite-Ize both sell LED upgrade bulbs for just a few dollars, in 3 volt and 4.5 volt configurations. They're considerably brighter than what was available just a few years ago - Well worth having, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you drop a Krypton bulbed ML, you can damage the bulb, so for me, with my two 6Ds, I felt spending $33 for two TerraLux MiniStar 5s was worth the scratch.

I didn't want to move up to the Malkoffs at $70+ at the time, so the 5s were a cost effective option, for me.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maglight

Chris

The Fusion 36 was only 26.00 shipped for 400+ lumens, and has been very rugged and works great still.

Checked yesterday though and shipping must be costing more, as he's only selling them in 3-packs (or maybe just didn't have a fresh ad up for one). $70.00 shipped for 3 400-lumen replacement modules is still a good deal if you have several Mags or a buddy or two that need one as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Terralux 1000 lumen module on eBay for 50 bucks shipped right now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#24]
for that price I would just buy a new Maglite with the led if you want to keep using a Maglite. the factoy led Maglite is different and the light pattern will be better then a drop in for an old one. I keep a 3 cell and AA mini led Maglite in my truck and also have older maglites in my home. I also have other types of led lights everywhere too
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
for that price I would just buy a new Maglite with the led if you want to keep using a Maglite. the factoy led Maglite is different and the light pattern will be better then a drop in for an old one.
View Quote

Yep - The new C and D cell LED Maglites are superb "throwers". MAG has done a great job of matching the reflector with the LED.

Biggest downside is that they're not dimmable. That's an unforgivable sin in the flashlight world, because LEDs work so well at reduced brightness.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#26]
While they're FAR from cost effective, I'm very happy with my Malkoff upgrade. Very solid product if you want to stick with the Maglite form factor. These are nothing like the stock LED Maglites. They are far brighter and better built.

Seriously though, for the money you could buy a better, smaller, brighter flashlight. Buying a new maglite and upgrading it is not a good use of money.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Don't think you can get the Maglite LED separately..  Have heard good things about the TerraLux replacement bulb -- though have not tried it myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've put Terralux lamps in all my 3D Maglites. Good kit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maglight

Maglite is an American company itself.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Because the "old" one has my dad's name, date and ID number engraved on it?  It was his last regular Mag before the department went with Magchargers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maglight

Valid reason.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#31]
For what it's worth..

I just went the Wal-Mart route tonight and got a $3.97 Rayovac LED replacement bulb.  Works perfect, and good for my purpose of just having a couple extra heavy duty flashlights that are a lot more efficient.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Biggest downside is that they're not dimmable. That's an unforgivable sin in the flashlight world, because LEDs work so well at reduced brightness.
View Quote

Yeah.  I have LED mag lights, and they're nice if you really need to adjust the beam angle, but because they don't dim, and they're heavy, I haven't used them in years.  3xAAA flashlights from Costco, with dimming, are nearly as bright, and a lot handier to carry around.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
For what it's worth..

I just went the Wal-Mart route tonight and got a $3.97 Rayovac LED replacement bulb.  Works perfect, and good for my purpose of just having a couple extra heavy duty flashlights that are a lot more efficient.
View Quote

I've been satisfied with this upgrade, also use them in other lights.
I had couple cheap plastic 2D lights and dropped the LED in place of the original bulbs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#34]

For anybody thinking of upgrading their D cell Maglite for under $20.

I have both 4D and 6D old style Maglites.

I bought the TerraLUX led upgrade here:

I also bought a similar led upgrade on Ebay, said to use a Cree led:

After installing them and comparing them, they both throw the same diameter of light and approximately the same intensity of light when focused, but the Ebay led does not have bright and dark spots within the light that is thrown.  It is much more usable. An accurate example of this is shown on the sale page of the Ebay led.

The Amazon led is ok, but the Ebay led is better.  And they are very close to the same price.

I will go with the ebay bulbs for my other Maglites.

Also, the Amazon led is for 4-6 cells, with another 2-3 cell led available.  The Ebay led is for 3-6 cells, with a 2 cell available.  Make sure you get the right one.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Can be cheaper easier and better to just abandon the maglight and spen your money on a whole new led light.  The mag light isnt a terribly good platform to work from.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Can be cheaper easier and better to just abandon the maglight and spen your money on a whole new led light.  The mag light isnt a terribly good platform to work from.
View Quote

Have you ever been hit by one? Id' rather have a 3D cell maglight at night than a crenelated surefire XXXX
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I upgraded both my 2D and my 4D lights with the TerraLux bulbs some years ago.  They're still working fine despite having been dropped and living in hot vehicles.  I keep a LED headlight and a Surefire in my truck also, but the MagLite behind the seat will always have a place.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Have you ever been hit by one? Id' rather have a 3D cell maglight at night than a crenelated surefire XXXX
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op didnt ask about blunt weapons he asked about light.  Surefire +9mm is less weight and bulk than a maglight and both are better at their designated tasks than a maglight.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

But officer, it's just a flashlight.  I have no idea why he is unconscious and bleeding from the scalp.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But officer, it's just a flashlight.  I have no idea why he is unconscious and bleeding from the scalp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He tripped and hit his head....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maglight

I think the new LED Maglites are made in China, but the incandescent are (and have always been) made here.

I have an old D-cell model I've thought about upgrading.  Use it at night when I take the dogs out.  It'd be a shame to just replace a perfectly good light like that one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think the new LED Maglites are made in China, but the incandescent are (and have always been) made here.

I have an old D-cell model I've thought about upgrading.  Use it at night when I take the dogs out.  It'd be a shame to just replace a perfectly good light like that one.
View Quote

Consider the TerraLux MiniStar 5 for your D cell ML.  They're only $17ish and you'll get a lot more runtime out of your D-batteries and if you bang your light, you won't ruin the bulb.

Outputs are about the same, but I felt that the $33 was worth upgrading my two 6Ds, but I didn't want to spend the money on the better drop-ins like the TerraLux and Malkoff versions.

Chris

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top