Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 1:06:58 AM EDT
We use a lot of batteries and I keep quite lot in the house and cabin.  Mostly Alkaline Energizer, but a few Duracell Coppertop, and we rotate them.  

Well, I forgot about the extra "D" and "AA"s in the BOB.  The flashlights were not damaged from leakage, but both the D and AA packages of spare had batteries already leaking.  They were both Energizers, "AA" were  marked Sept 2016 and the Ds were marked March 2016.  They have spent their entire life stored in the house, so no high or low temp extremes. I turned the D cell LED flashlight on and it lasted less than two hours before it was noticalby dimmer.  It has not been used since the batteries were put in it about three years ago...with D cells, this should have lasted ~20 hours.  

I also had one of those massive Sam's packs of D cells that would not last 2 weeks in my game cam (should have been good for a couple of months)...these were also Energizer.

Is Duracell any better and how the he11 do these companies get away with claiming 7 - 10 years storage life?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is Duracell any better
View Quote

In my experience - Yes, the Duracell alkalines are less likely to leak than Energizers - and MUCH less likely than Rayovacs.

how the he11 do these companies get away with claiming 7 - 10 years storage life?
View Quote

The manufacturer's claimed storage (or "shelf") life assumes that the battery doesn't leak.

Incidentally, storing alkalines at low temperatures increases their shelf life dramatically.

Put 'em in zip-loc bags, toss 'em in some dark corner of your fridge, and they'll still have plenty of pep several decades from now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been buying Duracell Pros from batterystation.com and have noticed a significant increase in leakage/corrosion and decrease in usable power.  We try to keep two years worth of batteries on hand so it's not like they are ancient. QA at Duracell has obviously suffered.  My next alternative will be to buy a sample of several brands & sizes, pack them in air tight vacuum bags, and freeze them for a year or so to see what effect that has.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#3]
could you use something like the Sanyo Eneloop  rechargeable and an adapter pack for the D ?... the multi cell adapters don't look that bulletproof, but I don't abuse them

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
could you use something like the Sanyo Eneloop  rechargeable and an adapter pack for the D ?
View Quote

Biggest disadvantage is that Eneloop AA cells are rated at around 2,500 mAH - while alkaline D cells are rated at around 20,000 mAH.

Even if you use several AA cells in parallel, that's still only a small fraction of the capacity of one alkaline D cell.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd second KEA's experience with Duracells. We buy a lot of batteries for our business, mostly cr123 and AA. I standardized on energizers specifically because of experiencing leakage issues with duracell 'pro' and 'industrial' series. We buy from batteryjunction.com and have been very happy with the energizers, buying them almost exclusively for three or four years now. For cr123's, the Titanium Innovation brand are slightly cheaper and probably just as good, but the energizers make our customers feel good since it's a name they recognize.

For batteries that are going to sit for a long time unused, I tend to stick with the energizer ultimate lithiums. They're not cheap, but they work & work & work; plus they're actually lighter weight than their alkaline counterparts. This can be an issue if you carry a good number of batteries in your ghb gear as I do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Call Duracell and complain.  Keep the batteries if possible since they may ask for info on the label.

I just had a leaky Duracell and they sent me a $10 coupon. (which I'll use on the Duracell branded eneloop rechargeables)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In my experience - Yes, the Duracell alkalines are less likely to leak than Energizers - and MUCH less likely than Rayovacs..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Duracell any better

In my experience - Yes, the Duracell alkalines are less likely to leak than Energizers - and MUCH less likely than Rayovacs..

In my experience, and again this is just my experience, Rayovacs give more bang for your buck than any other top tier brand.

I've never had one leak on me. But then I don't usually store items with batteries left in them.

However, lately, I've been using the Harbor Freight line of batteries for items I know I'm going to burn through quickly, ie lanterns on campouts,etc.  Did accidentally leave a lantern loaded with D cells since last fall in my barn. They went through the normal Florida winter, spring and summer. A little leakage was noted when I opened it up last week to change out the batteries, but nothing that effected the lantern's operation.

As with all internet advice and claims, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone get the feel (or have real info) that Energizer may be manufacturing a different part number (inferior) for the big box stores?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In my experience, and again this is just my experience, Rayovacs give more bang for your buck than any other top tier brand.

As with all internet advice and claims, YMMV.
View Quote

The Duracells have roughly 11,000mAh of capacity at a 500mA draw and the Rayovac Pros have 7,500mAh at an unknown draw.

Duracell Copper Top D datasheet

The Energizers Max Ds seem to have about 12,000mAh with a 500mA draw.

Energizer E95 Max datasheet.

Capacity is dependent on current draw, so those numbers above might not truly be apples to apples.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea, but the very specs they use are part of the problem.

0.8 volt may be fine for motor powered toys or a flashlight ( if you do not want to see much) , but a lot of modern electronics are going to shut down at 1.1 or 1.2 volts.

80% of thier origial power after x number of years may not even turn on you device

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#11]
1.20v for a NiMH is nominal capacity and at such a voltage, the battery is essentially depleted.  My Eneloops and various other nice rechargeable batteries come off of my Maha/LaCrosse chargers at >1.45v.  You can eek out some electrons below 1.20v, but not a whole lot.

Alkalines can be great, barring their leaking, with low drain devices, like remotes, wall clocks and stuff like that.  Once you start getting up to and over 1A, then there are better choices.

Their voltage sags a lot compared to NiMH batteries, which do better on higher drain devices like flashlights and laser pointers.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Duracells have ruined a couple of Maglights though they did pay to replace them.

I had my first Eveready battery (AA) die in the flashlight.  They were Aug 2015.  Eveready did pay as well though that is cold comfort in an emergency.

Never had a Surefire or Panasonic CR 123 leak.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Just checked a Streamlight that was ruined by some Duracells.

gonna mail it back this week.

IME, Duracell has been good about replacing a light their batteries ruined.

This is my second experience.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I use thousands of batteries per year at work.  In General, my preferred brand, for disposables, is Duracell/ProCell.  I find fewer "bad" batteries per thousand than other brands.  Pro versions of the big brands also seem to have fewer problems.  I also like EnergizerPro and Varga in bulk packs.  Smaller consumer packs seem to have a higher failure rate than the Pro Boxes.  

When ever possible I try to use rechargeables.  With Lithium's there is almost no leak failures.  They still need to be replaced occasionally.

When every you are storing gear, remove the batteries for storage.  Store batteries separately in a battery storage holder, available from the big online battery shops.  Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Off-topic slightly: Anyone know the best cheapest source of good quality 14500's? (not ******fires and such, KeepPower or similar?)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Off-topic slightly: Anyone know the best cheapest source of good quality 14500's? (not ******fires and such, KeepPower or similar?)

Thanks!
View Quote

Anything made with the Sanyo 840mAh cell.  Keeppower offers two 14500s with protection circuit (PCB) added, one is the 840mAh Sanyo.

Be careful, as some protected cells can be too long for some lights.  I bought a pair of EVVA protected 14500s using the Sanyo cells and they're just too long for my three lights and  so they sit.  They won't even fit in the plastic snap cases, they're that long.

I might remove the outer wrapper and the protection circuits and use them bare.

I prefer bare cells in single cell lights, as I'm good at checking voltages and charging them back up before they hit bottom at 2.75v (Sanyo, Samsung, LG and Sony) or 2.50v (Panasonic.)

Chris
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#17]
My 2 cents... Duracells have been the most leak prone by far of any I have used,,,and I use a lot- although I'm really trying to phase more into rechargables, Energizers come in second for leaks.  Rayovacs come in 3rd.  THAT SAID...I have sent items back to all 3 MFG's for repair/replacement, and all have come through each time with good customer service...everything from maglites ruined by Duracells, a $100.00 MP3 player ruined by Energizers, and all the way up to a $490.00 GPS unit ruined by rayovacs....and with THAT SAID, I've also had eneloops leak...and one of them ruined a 240.00 trail cam.  FWIW, Sanyo, and other rechargable MFG's DO NOT offer the same repair/replace warranty that the major alkaline MFG's do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#18]
You seem to have bad luck with batteries and getting an Eneloop to leak anything, is a rare feat.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Anything made with the Sanyo 840mAh cell.  Keeppower offers two 14500s with protection circuit (PCB) added, one is the 840mAh Sanyo.

Be careful, as some protected cells can be too long for some lights.  I bought a pair of EVVA protected 14500s using the Sanyo cells and they're just too long for my three lights and  so they sit.  They won't even fit in the plastic snap cases, they're that long.

I prefer bare cells in single cell lights, as I'm good at checking voltages and charging them back up before they hit bottom at 2.75v (Sanyo, Samsung, LG and Sony) or 2.50v (Panasonic.)

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Chris

Thanks Chris, yeah I have a few Keeppower protected's that I bought a while back when I found a good deal, but they are long, had to go into the two lights I use them in, and shave some material off the Mcclicky's so they wouldn't seat so tight, it was denting the battery before that and made one go intermittent somehow.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Powerex makes good rechargeables with actual C and D batteries and not AA slapped into a C or D size container.  I can also vouch for for their true 9.6V battery living up to its name.  But my problem inherently remains the the lower 1.2V found with rechargeables.  I'm thinking about trying out those AA zinc ones that are 1.6V but some of the reviews on Amazon aren't so great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:49:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Powerex makes good rechargeables with actual C and D batteries and not AA slapped into a C or D size container.  I can also vouch for for their true 9.6V battery living up to its name.  But my problem inherently remains the the lower 1.2V found with rechargeables.  I'm thinking about trying out those AA zinc ones that are 1.6V but some of the reviews on Amazon aren't so great.
View Quote

Right now, the best bang for your buck is either the Tenergy Centura LSD C/Ds, or the Tenergy Premium C/Ds.

PowerEx and AccuPower both make C/Ds, but were I to invest, I'd buy the Tenergys.  People are having good experiences with their C/Ds despite the fact that some of their other offerings suck ass.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I have read some consumer reports backing up my findings and I have found that Costco Kirkland brand perform as well as store just as well as many name brand and are usually a few buck cheaper bought in bulk. I have children and several small flashlights used for camping and get good result from these batteries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top