Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2014 10:21:06 PM EDT
I built a small but realistic FAK for my EDC bag. I am trying to start out small and grow as the budget allows but my goal is to remain as realistic as possible (I very minimal medical training, but I am working to change that).

I wanted to get some advice on what I did right, what I did wrong, what I should remove and, what I should add. I live in South Florida, should that have an effect on the contents.

1 - Roll of medical tape
1 - Tweezers
1 - Small roll of duct tape
1 - 3.5in x 3.5in Quik Clot sport pad
2 - BZK wipes (Benzalkonium chloride)
2 - Iodine prep pads
2 - 3in x 3in sterile pads
2 - 2 1/4in x 3in adhesive bandages
2 - 5/8in x 2 1/4in adhesive bandages
2 - 3/4 in x 2 1/4in adhesive bandages
4 - 7/8in x 7/8in adhesive bandages
4 - Adhesive butterfly closures
4 - 200mg Ibuprofen tablets
4 - 325mg Acetaminophen tablets

**To add**
- 1 pair of rubber gloves
- Benadryl
- Triangular or Israeli Bandage
- Immodium
- Trauma Sheers

Any and all advice, flames, and insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Set of rubber gloves is all I see missing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I would add something that can be used to tie and provide direct pressure, and perhaps do double duty as a tourniquet.  Like this.  Or maybe an Israeli bandage.

Benadryl pills for allergic reactions/anaphylactic shock.

Other than that, it looks good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I would add trauma shears
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Imodium.  It might help keep things together long enough to get home.  As well, a little appreciated side of diarrhea is dehydration.  Might not be an issue but if fresh water isn’t readily available it can be.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the additions guys.

I might leave the Triangular or Israeli Bandage, the sheers, and the Imodium for my GHB.

I'm trying to keep my kit small enough to comfortably carry around in my EDC bag.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Most used item in my kit is hydrocortisone cream. I keep a couple of the small single use packets in there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Swat T tourniquet.  Many uses and under 10 bucks.

link

I would dump the quick clot sponge and get the gauze.  Much more practical and cheap on ebay.

Cpr mask

benadryl has quick disolve strips that work great if the vic can not swallow a pill

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Swat T tourniquet.  Many uses and under 10 bucks.

link

I would dump the quick clot sponge and get the gauze.  Much more practical and cheap on ebay.

Cpr mask

benadryl has quick disolve strips that work great if the vic can not swallow a pill

View Quote

Good idea, and a Epi pen or  Epi-Jr. CPR mask has came in handy when not on duty. SAMI splints work good too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Aspirin for heart attack.

325 mg and chew that sucker up

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Might want to look into getting trained on tourniquets, grab a CAT tourniquet for use in conjunction with Combat Gauze, regular Gauze, Israeli Bandage.  Chest seal isn't a bad idea to learn as well.  I try to keep close at hand a few of the items that are mostly likely needed badly in life saving and leave most of the band-aids and such which aren't generally time critical to desk drawers, vehicle, etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I would add precut moleskin. Get rid of the butterfly bandages and get some steristrips.
I sometimes get bad headaches that only excedrine migraine works on, so I always have that in my edc fak.
A benzoin swab doesn't has multiple uses as we'll and doesn't take much room.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Not bad. If it was me I would add 2 packs of vacuum packed gauze, coban, (or one pack of gauze, an Ace wrap, and an Israeli bandage) and a tourniquet. Your kit is a little light on trauma stuff. I'd also encourage you to get a little training. Training is much better than having gear.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Hydrocortisone or calamine lotion for if you get into any poison ivy, sumac, etc.
Sunscreen lotion
Chapstick

I carry some little suckers or small candy in mine.  Always makes kids stop crying after a little cut and you've bandaged them up:)
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#14]
More quick-clot, Israeli battle dressing, and a CAT tourniquet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Very similar to mine.  I will have to take some pictures.  Gauze, tape, a couple band aids, butterfly or two and cleaner are what important in a personal kit.  I carry iodine 2% tincture because it can double as a water purifier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top