Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 1:28:05 PM EDT
Non-drinker wants input on what booze preps (kinds) and bottling (glass vs. plastic) that would make sense for a family.  Booze would be a good commodity for barter and its medical uses have been well documented through history.  Would grain alcohol be a good choice since it goes a long way?  TIA!!!

AC_Doctor
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
premium boozer will always command a premium...

OTOH, pack away instructions for brewing mash & maybe materials for simple coil or (better yet) reflux distillation and have the capability to roll your own if things are long term enough to be considering stocking up on grain alcohol.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Non-drinker wants input on what booze preps (kinds) and bottling (glass vs. plastic) that would make sense for a family.  Booze would be a good commodity for barter and its medical uses have been well documented through history.  Would grain alcohol be a good choice since it goes a long way?  TIA!!!

AC_Doctor
View Quote

I'd go buy the big 1.75L jugs from premium names, but their middle lines.  Whisky/bourbon, vodka, rum and possibly tequila would be the five popular ones.  You'd save on the bigger bottles, but then you'd be stuck having to drink them down the road, if you needed to rotate them in/out, due to the fact that SHTF was postponed.

If I had the extra cash, I'd buy a carton, or three, of Marlboro reds, but I don't smoke, so I would probably be left with stale cigarettes in a few years, lol.

ETA: just Googled cigarettes.  One hard core smoker stated if sealed, up to two years, others said a few months, longer if sealed and stored in a freezer.  A couple to a few weeks if the pack is opened.

Sealed spirits like those above, can last indefinitely, but much like cigarettes, once you open the bottle, things start going south, so maybe 750ml bottles, or pint bottles, are the way to go for bartering purposes?  Kind of like having a 1oz. gold coin when you only want to trade for something a lot less that that coin is ultimately worth.

Chris

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The 3 horsemen
Jim, Jack and Jose Along with some Captian and some Vodka
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
booze won't 'go bad' in your lifetime.  It is also damn easy to make.  In a time of total collapse (every preppers wet dream), even crap booze will be another fungible commodity.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Make your own, when everything collapses then you will be free to do what you need to do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't waste money on something I can't use on the hope/fear I could barter it if the economy/world collapses.

Plenty of stuff to stockpile you can personally use or enjoy in the likely event the world doesn't end.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
While the idea of trading with addicts might seem like a time to cash in... The last thing I would want, would be desperate people on the brink of detox knowing I have what they need.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Booze is the trickiest thing to store.

Its crazy. I keep stocking it away but it keeps disappearing.

Can't remember what I did with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While the idea of trading with addicts might seem like a time to cash in... The last thing I would want, would be desperate people on the brink of detox knowing I have what they need.
View Quote

Maybe, but bartering ammo (or guns) could mean dealing with desperate people who have, and presumably intend to use, weapons who know you have the goods.  Bartering food means dealing with desperate people on the brink of starvation trying to keep themselves/kids/wife alive who know you have what they need to survive.

So on and so forth.  SHTF = desperate people.  Bartering means letting people know that you have what they need.  If you plan on post-collapse bartering, where do draw the line?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't become the neighborhood alcohol supplier to bored/desperate people. I avoid that crowd day to day, so could you imaging that message getting around. Better to respond to strangers with commiseration that you can't find any either. Remember your security is tied to secrecy, not to being the SHTF booze (or toilet paper) king.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Forget about labels, when times are rough, people will take whatever does the job. Buy whats on sale, and buy it by the case.

I prefer vodka, and thats what I have stored
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Just go stock up on a bunch of single barrel, small batches of good bourbon.  If all else fails and you don't get the "end of the world", you will almost always be able to profit from it.  The market for older small batch and single barrel stuff is amazing right now!

I wouldn't mind getting a bunch of cases of Four Roses Single Barrel while it's cheap and available right now.  I really like the stuff and it's insanely popular, and when it dries up it will only go up in value.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Cigarettes could possibly be a life saver come shtf

Being an arfcommer buys anyone a bed at wherever I'm at if SHTF
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wouldn't waste money on something I can't use on the hope/fear I could barter it if the economy/world collapses.

Plenty of stuff to stockpile you can personally use or enjoy in the likely event the world doesn't end.

View Quote

My thinking also , waste of money IMO
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Cheapest booze you can buy in glass bottles from pints to liter size.  
This has been my plan for years, putting back 1-2 bottles a week,( now I don't drink that much) much learned after reading Selco
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ha! I have the same problem. it's weird.
Quoted:
Cigarettes could possibly be a life saver come shtf

Being an arfcommer buys anyone a bed at wherever I'm at if SHTF

Two problems with this......
1. cigarettes do not store well.
2. Perhaps you mean SF Arfcommer,
or have you not been to GD?

ETA: and I am not so sure about all the people in the SF forum.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
A few things regarding this topic, though......

- Not everyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic or is addicted to it.

- Distilling your own spirits can be dangerous. It's about as easy to distill methanol (bad) as it is ethanol (good) - personally, I would not take the chance after TEOTWAWKI, especially trading with someone I don't know.

- I would only consider trading for unopened, sealed, bottles that have a brand name I recognize. - I imagine others would feel the same way.

-  I stock only stuff I drink, because chances are, I will end up drinking it anyways. (i.e. no EOTW)

- If I did not drink, I would probably not stock anything 'just for barter', however, in an EOTWAWKI situation, there could be some uses for strong drink even for the non-drinkers out there.
If it was not for alcohol, I might never have gotten laid, or married for that matter.

- If you choose to stock something for barter, I would probably go with smaller glass bottles. Vodka is probably your cheapest bet. and it is the most popular distilled spirit consumed in the U.S.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A few things regarding this topic, though......

- Not everyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic or is addicted to it.

- Distilling your own spirits can be dangerous. It's about as easy to distill methanol (bad) as it is ethanol (good) - personally, I would not take the chance after TEOTWAWKI, especially trading with someone I don't know.

- I would only consider trading for unopened, sealed, bottles that have a brand name I recognize. - I imagine others would feel the same way.

-  I stock only stuff I drink, because chances are, I will end up drinking it anyways. (i.e. no EOTW)

- If I did not drink, I would probably not stock anything 'just for barter', however, in an EOTWAWKI situation, there could be some uses for strong drink even for the non-drinkers out there.
If it was not for alcohol, I might never have gotten laid, or married for that matter.

- If you choose to stock something for barter, I would probably go with smaller glass bottles. Vodka is probably your cheapest bet. and it is the most popular distilled spirit consumed in the U.S.

View Quote

Quoted for truth.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wouldn't become the neighborhood alcohol supplier to bored/desperate people. I avoid that crowd day to day, so could you imaging that message getting around. Better to respond to strangers with commiseration that you can't find any either. Remember your security is tied to secrecy, not to being the SHTF booze (or toilet paper) king.
View Quote

There is a hell of a lot of wisdom in this post.

If I have 1 or 2L of concentrated booze, I certainly wouldn't plan on giving or trading it away.  To me, it represents a concentrated quantity of scarce, useful, desireable stuff, with lots of important applications.  Not something for desperate boozers to think and scheme about plundering.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I would look online,  there are some beautiful finely crafted and perfectly legal pieces of "art" made out of copper that could be put to certain uses should the need arrive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]
A bit complex, but if you keep bees, you will have honey. There are ways to keep yeast alive and going for a long time.

Mmmmh...mead
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Make your own, when everything collapses then you will be free to do what you need to do.
View Quote

^^^ This...

Don't tell, don't sell...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Doc
I have a 2 gl bucket  of the mini bottle that are served on acft.  It called the vise bucket and it have other vise items as well
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Just go stock up on a bunch of single barrel, small batches of good bourbon.  If all else fails and you don't get the "end of the world", you will almost always be able to profit from it.  The market for older small batch and single barrel stuff is amazing right now!

I wouldn't mind getting a bunch of cases of Four Roses Single Barrel while it's cheap and available right now.  I really like the stuff and it's insanely popular, and when it dries up it will only go up in value.
View Quote

Most "small batch bourbon" is made in a factory in Indiana.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I would look online, there are some beautiful finely crafted and perfectly legal pieces of "art" made out of copper that could be put to certain uses should the need arrive.

View Quote

Or for producing ethanol for fuel - http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/index.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Or for producing ethanol for fuel - http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/index.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would look online, there are some beautiful finely crafted and perfectly legal pieces of "art" made out of copper that could be put to certain uses should the need arrive.

That's nice stuff, but his prices have gone through the roof over the last few years.

ETA His stuff is more like artwork than anything you need to distill.

A man can buy a reflux column and beads and make the rest fairly easy.

I wouldn't plan on learning to distill safely after SHTF.

Just stock up on 200ml Jim Beam bottles. I used to hand them out as party favors at Christmas, and they'd be like little gold bars to some folks in a bad spot after SHTF
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#28]
On the booze aspect I rather store smaller sized cheap booze bottles. My logic with the little amount of people that prep compared to the amount that don't, it would be easier to barter that cheap booze than the expensive stuff. I look at the bartering as your running a gun store. Sure you might have a Barrett, yet how many do you sell in a year? On the flip side how many hi points, sigmas, and police trade in glocks do you sell in a year? much more with faster turn around. Last thing you want is to have a potential barter item you can't rid of.

On the cigarette side, cant you food saver a carton and extend its shelf life?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Along with some booze, I've got a half dozen bottles of caffeine tablets.  That shit is going to be real popular within 24 hour of the coffee pots going dead.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Glass or Plastic for the booze preps? or does it not make a difference?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top