Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 10:56:33 AM EDT
I have an Optimus Crux... and it seems like it's only really capable of boiling small quantities of water, and cooking tiny portions. Mostly this is due to the fact that if you used bigger cookware, it would be very top heavy, and balancing would become an issue.

However, I figure if there were an independent, folding, cooking grate, with stands that the cookware could sit on over the stove... this would solve the issue. Essentially I'm looking for a grate that has stands to elevate a cooking pan over the Optimus crux. Anyone know of anything that would work?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a similar stove (snowpeak gigapower).  It gets tipsy with a larger pot.  I've never carried a grate. What I do is hang the pot.  Normally with a jury rigged tripod.  My small psuedo pot/cup doen't need it.  But what I've done for a weekender with friends and we put a pack a cheap aluminum pot.  The tripod (or limb hanger) allows you to just use the stove for balance and the weight is on the string.  And you don't have to worry about grate with adjustable legs (depending on how big a iso can you pack).

If you're doing more than boiling, then you may want a grate system.  I would imagine you could make one easily from a #10 can.  I have a #10 can wind break I made long ago.  Tin snips and a drill and you should be able to make one in half an hour (assuming your pot can sit atop a #10.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
A #10 Can might just work, actually.

This isn't for back packing... but for car camping/something to use if the power goes out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A #10 Can might just work, actually.

This isn't for back packing... but for car camping/something to use if the power goes out.
View Quote

Glad to help.  I have fond memories of car camping as a kid and the big Coleman stove.  Pumping the stove and lantern...   Good times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top