Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 6:32:26 AM EDT
It's not for me but some of you guys may find this interesting, http://static.gotenna.com. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
From the FAQ:

Can I use my goTenna to communicate with people who don't have a goTenna?

No. goTennas emit a unique radio-frequency intended for other goTennas.

Delving further on the site, it's a 2W radio that can only talk to other goTennas.

Not to be a downer, but it's as useless as teats on a boar.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems it'd be easier to setup a peer to peer WiFi network and use a standard chat app like IRC amongst users.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Spiffy ad campaign. About it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the FAQ:

Delving further on the site, it's a 2W radio that can only talk to other goTennas.

View Quote

I wonder how hard it would be to "re-purpose" it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
while on the topic... does anyone have any experience with the gulo gulo hiking stick cell phone antenna?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyUJkRzFrjc
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Delorme InReach.

I want one, or ideally, two.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From the FAQ:

View Quote

Seems like all that effort might have been better spent on an inexpensive Bluetooth interface for use with generic talkies - Something that costs 30 bucks, and works with your average 30 dollar Baofeng.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:08:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I put same response in your other thread......but promoting drug use in their marketing video?  really?    Please don't support a company like this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Looks awesome. However after reading all the specs it looks like it has a non-replaceable battery? The subscription plans run $15 monthly for the Safety Plan. I hope the price of these units starts to come down.

Does anyone have experience using the Delorme models?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looks awesome. However after reading all the specs it looks like it has a non-replaceable battery? The subscription plans run $15 monthly for the Safety Plan. I hope the price of these units starts to come down.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have an inreach SE. So far, the battery life has been fine. However, I'm not a power user. It's expensive for the subscription, and I don't use it enough to really justify the cost. There is something reassuring about being able to SMS family, friends, or help by Iridium when cell service is poor to none.  It comes along on all camping trips, day hikes, and airplane trips.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#13]
would be interesting if it acted as a repeater and several could join a group. local, encrypted comms, not bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top