Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2014 3:27:44 AM EDT
I found this like new Mad Dog ATAK at a yard sale. It was in a pasteboard shipping box addressed to the US Secret Service Training Center in MD with a ship date of 1995 on it. Other than a series number etched on the sheath/knife there were no other markings. I had no clue what it was but it looked top-notch.

After a exhaustive search to figure out what it was (I'm not a high-end custom knife person) I finally found out and was given the contact info for the maker, a Mr. Kevin McClung who is the owner/maker of Black Dog knives. I was told he had a contract to supply such knives to the US Navy Seals back in the 90s.

I EMed him and he replied back saying he had made that series for the USSS,  DSS, and the Columbian Government.

Lord knows I could never afford to pay the collector's price for such a knife so it was nice to add it to my collection.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, congrats.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
At a yard sale???  Just curious if the seller had any idea how much that would run for.

I have a Pygmy ATAK and it was my EDC/Duty blade for about 10 years and three deployments.  Collectors have driven up the price, but they are excellent blades.  The handles are tough as nails; actually tougher as I used the handle to hammer in nails.  The other big advantage is having that insulated handle when working around electricity.  Great find...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Mad Dog knives were the BCM of the knife world for awhile. Then something happened. I don't remember what exactly but Kevin became uncool.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At a yard sale???  Just curious if the seller had any idea how much that would run for.

I have a Pygmy ATAK and it was my EDC/Duty blade for about 10 years and three deployments.  Collectors have driven up the price, but they are excellent blades.  The handles are tough as nails; actually tougher as I used the handle to hammer in nails.  The other big advantage is having that insulated handle when working around electricity.  Great find...

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ROCK6

I guess not. All I knew was it looked to be a nice knife.

Quoted:
Mad Dog knives were the BCM of the knife world for awhile. Then something happened. I don't remember what exactly but Kevin became uncool.

I've read some things that was not very complementary concerning him but as I don't move about in the high-end knife world it is of little concern to me.

All I know is he was direct, knowledgeable, and to the point in his EM to me. Plenty good enough.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one picked it up years ago from a SWAT officer very nice knife. You found a keeper!     Gary  
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn. i want that
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
So how much did you pay for it?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would like to know as well! I'm not curious!!!
I'm Damn noise!!!
The Knife gods where looking out for you!!!
Great fine!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

$45.00.

I know it seems like a small sum now but like I said it just looked to be a quality knife to me at the time. Had it been much more than that I likely would have passed what with nothing but a number etched on the blade/sheath to go by.

I know about WW-1/WW-2/Vietnam era fighting knives and have a decent sized collection but I know next to nothing about the more modern custom made fighting knives.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

$45.00.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$45.00.

Dude you're a thief! That's like winning a small town lottery...heck, with your luck maybe you should get lottery ticket

Congrat's on striking gold...I really wonder what the story is behind that blade.  I'm betting some admin/supply clerk, took a shipment and "borrowed" one not knowing the background.  Stashed away, a few moves, possibly a divorce or three and now the ex-wife is off-loading his stuff

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$45.00.

I know it seems like a small sum now but like I said it just looked to be a quality knife to me at the time. Had it been much more than that I likely would have passed what with nothing but a number etched on the blade/sheath to go by.

I know about WW-1/WW-2/Vietnam era fighting knives and have a decent sized collection but I know next to nothing about the more modern custom made fighting knives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$45.00.

Very nice
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
$45 for Mad Dog ATAK? You did pretty good!
Any long time bladeforum or knifeforum readers remember the Mad Dog flame wars or when Cliff Stamp broke not 1 but 2 Tusks?
Good Times!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top