Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2014 6:17:57 PM EDT
I'm looking for both a larger, "room" sized lantern for short power outages at home as well as a few smaller AA powered lanterns for on the road emergencies (such as in a hotel and power goes out, or visiting relatives.)

Sturdy, weatherproof, and good efficiency (not neccesarily brightest but makes the most of its power, maybe multiple settings).  It'd be nice if they're not crazy expensive too.

Right now I've got a couple rayovac sportsmans that work well enough, but I want to know what's the best deal other there?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Love my Streamlight Seige:  http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-44931-Compact-Alkaline-Lantern/dp/B00DII7CTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405304954&sr=8-1&keywords=Siege+lantern

Especially powered by AA Eneloops in these battery magazines:  http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-3aa1d-par-adapter.html
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a few little AA lamps every day at home. I have one of these Energizer lanterns in my bathroom. Don't really like it. I hate multiple modes on lanterns like this. I just want to be able to quickly turn it on and off, not to have to cycle through 3 different modes. The button on this is really stiff, so you have to hold it with both hands as you click through the modes. It's pretty bright without the globe, but don't care for the light all that much with the globe. Battery life is good, even with AAs.

The Energizer puck is my favorite AA light by far. Bright, quick on and off, built like a tank, good battery life, and it has a magnetic base for easy mounting upside down.

Also have a couple Harbor Freight lights, the camp lantern is junky, the puck light is OK. The puck is not nearly as bright or well built as the Energizer, plus it has two modes, but it's adequate.

If I bother to buy any more AA lanterns, I might try one of these Coleman mini lanterns next. I have one of their cheap yellow models that works pretty well, though it's not very bright. I'd rather just have more Energizer pucks, though.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love my Streamlight Seige:  http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-44931-Compact-Alkaline-Lantern/dp/B00DII7CTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405304954&sr=8-1&keywords=Siege+lantern

Especially powered by AA Eneloops in these battery magazines:  http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-3aa1d-par-adapter.html
View Quote

I really like that lantern. We have standardized on kero powered backup room light but for summer outages when we don't want to heat the rooms any more than we have to those would do excellent.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Search my name and the word "energizer" on Google with the word ar15.com.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, I have some reading to do!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the Coleman High Tech AA LED... size comparison to a Feuerhand in foreground, and Dietz Little Wizard and Air Pilot rear

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#7]
ETA: Oops - Lasnyder already covered this one.

This has been my go-to for 4-5 years now. Camping and around the house for outages.
Its a little taller and a little slimmer than a coke can.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This...I have two of them, still have not gotten around to ordering the AA adapters but I plan to soon. The siege is compact and will light up a room well. Doesn't feel like cheap junk like the Wal-Mart brands do.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Energizer Weather Ready Lantern has been good to me. (Red one with folding handle)

Lasts forever with D batteries and the multiple light settings are handy.

ETA

I have the old D only version. The new one takes AA and D batteries and it's much easier to change them out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Energizer Weather Ready Lantern has been good to me. (Red one with folding handle)

Lasts forever with D batteries and the multiple light settings are handy.

ETA

I have the old D only version. The new one takes AA and D batteries and it's much easier to change them out.
View Quote

I picked up the 'dual source' version at Walmart for $17 and while it's not the brightest lantern out there, it does give me the dual D and AA battery option, which is nice since I have a ton of Eneloops and no real NiMH D batteries.  Shelling out a few bucks for some D alkaleaks is worthwhile due to the longer runtimes, as you note.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Energizer weather ready for me that takes D or AA batteries.  Works like a champ, plenty of light, easy on the batteries.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like the 3-D cell Rayovac  Sportsman. I picked up a bunch of them for $15.99 each shipped a couple years ago. I use them as a nightlight for my son's room.

The Energizer 4-D cell is a great light also.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I need to find that, CarbineMom stole it to knit with the day I got it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top