Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2014 12:40:28 PM EDT
This came to me after reading a few posts here about fire starting. I just completed the first part and haven't tested it yet. It'll be a while before I go camping so I'll fire it up this weekend in the back yard for testing.

To start, I used the following items.

Pill bottle, roughly 2 3/4” tall by 1 1/4” wide.
Cotton balls
Vaseline
Toilet paper
3 tea candles +1 more
Duct tape
1 empty toilet paper roll
1 empty paper towel roll

First I filled the pill bottle with Vaseline covered cotton balls. Then I wrapped the pill bottle with duct tape until it fit snugly into the toilet paper roll. It's not for fire starting but I figured why not. Duct tape is handy and it'll protect the bottle if I drop it. Then with the pill bottle inside the TP roll, I placed a folded square of TP on the end of the pill bottle. I dripped wax in and placed a wad of ripped up TP on top and dripped more wax on. Repeat until the TP and wax is within roughly 1/2” from  the top of the TP roll. Place the 4th tea candle on top of the wax/TP mix and let it dry.

Now I'm playing with this idea. I haven't done it yet.

When it's dry, wrap the TP roll in TP, wax paper, etc. based on your preferences, until it fits snugly into the paper towel roll. Why? Cardboard burns longer than paper and I'll have bit more for fire starting. I can use the TP for TP or fire starting. Wax paper works well enough for fire starting. I could wrap it in foil to be used as mentioned by another member here. Place a Vaseline cotton ball inside and form it into a wick.

I've also made a larger one. The pill bottle is about 1 1/2” by 3 1/2”. I wrapped it in duct tape and put it in a paper towel  roll. No pics of that one yet.

All of this looks like the following.

So, all being said, is this a decent idea or drunken buffoonery?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, after preliminary, unscientific testing, the wax/TP mix burns longer than the cotton ball/Vaseline, when comparing the same size "clump". The cotton balls are easier to start with a ferrule rod. I had to slowly shave some pieces off of the ferrule rod, then spark it to get the wax/TP to start. Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you planning on starting fires in a rain forest, seems like a lot of work, materials, time, and cost for what you are wanting. Most of the time you can find plenty of natural tender to get a fire started or simply pack some dryer lint or vasoline soaked cotton balls. And if you still cant get a fire started I have seen people use an old egg carton and fill it with wax and saw dust. And if you don't like that buy some small flares, I think you can get them for what you are spending to make the ones in your pic
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The egg cartons of wax and sawdust was a boy scout staple.  (the cardboard ones, not the foam!)

Dryer lint is awesome too.

As I've gotten older and have money, I like some tech.  I recently found some cool firestarters.  They're basically a big match, you even strike them on the box.  Has six or eight in a box costs a couple bucks, and I break them up into smaller chunks.  Works great in my Biolite stove.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you planning on starting fires in a rain forest, seems like a lot of work, materials, time, and cost for what you are wanting. Most of the time you can find plenty of natural tender to get a fire started or simply pack some dryer lint or vasoline soaked cotton balls. And if you still cant get a fire started I have seen people use an old egg carton and fill it with wax and saw dust. And if you don't like that buy some small flares, I think you can get them for what you are spending to make the ones in your pic
View Quote

What are you talking about? Seriously. I spent nothing to make these. Worst case, you would have to buy 4 tea candles. I do not dwell in a basement and stole them from the woman. She'll never miss a few. It took me about 10 minutes to go from concept to proto. Are you trying to say that an egg carton is easier to carry with you than something the size of a roll of TP?

As far as tinder in the winter. Ya, not always. I've been out in the wet snow with water on the ground and had to start a fire. It sucks. There was no dry kindling. I burned every blank page in my notebook and barely got a fire going.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The egg cartons of wax and sawdust was a boy scout staple.  (the cardboard ones, not the foam!)

Dryer lint is awesome too.

As I've gotten older and have money, I like some tech.  I recently found some cool firestarters.  They're basically a big match, you even strike them on the box.  Has six or eight in a box costs a couple bucks, and I break them up into smaller chunks.  Works great in my Biolite stove.
View Quote

I've used the kind that come in a match box and look like a 1/2" x 1/2" x 3" stick matches. They work pretty well and have a decent burn time. I normally carry a couple trioxane fuel bars, stick matches and a couple bics. The fuel bars tend to get most fires going.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What are you talking about? Seriously. I spent nothing to make these. Worst case, you would have to buy 4 tea candles. I do not dwell in a basement and stole them from the woman. She'll never miss a few. It took me about 10 minutes to go from concept to proto. Are you trying to say that an egg carton is easier to carry with you than something the size of a roll of TP?

As far as tinder in the winter. Ya, not always. I've been out in the wet snow with water on the ground and had to start a fire. It sucks. There was no dry kindling. I burned every blank page in my notebook and barely got a fire going.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You cut up the egg cartoon after the wax dries, as far as finding tinder in wet winter weather, its there if you know where to look. My advice is to practice more get out in the woods and you will find everything you need and not relying on what something that you may not have on you when you really need it.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#7]
These are a batch of the egg carton/lint type.
I've made hundreds of these and they are quite effective.
I have them stashed in cookie tins everywhere. They burn for approx 10 mins.

I have also used paper towel or toilet paper rolls and then cut them into 1/2 inch discs. Prefer the egg carton. More exposed cardboard helps starting them.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#8]
For sparks I use:
Alcohol wipes
Char cloth
Jute twine
Birch bark

For flame I use:
Candle
Waxed jute twine
Birch bark

Practice makes perfect.
Still working on the need it now in the woods bow drill.  I have no problem with a pre-dried bow drill set however.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Alcohol wipes do work well. Hand sanitizer on the MRE TP works well also. I have some navy type marlin I've been meaning to try as tinder. Have you tried it?

The bow drill is something I always had trouble with as a kid. I think I'll try that next.

Quoted:
For sparks I use:
Alcohol wipes
Char cloth
Jute twine
Birch bark

For flame I use:
Candle
Waxed jute twine
Birch bark

Practice makes perfect.
Still working on the need it now in the woods bow drill.  I have no problem with a pre-dried bow drill set however.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You cut up the egg cartoon after the wax dries, as far as finding tinder in wet winter weather, its there if you know where to look. My advice is to practice more get out in the woods and you will find everything you need and not relying on what something that you may not have on you when you really need it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I've been going out into the woods since I was a kid. I started going with out sleeping bag or tent when I was 9 (granted I don't do that now. My back hurts too damn much). I know how to find tinder. You may be able to find some. Whether you can find enough to dry out wet wood or not is another matter. When time is short and hypothermia is looming, you may not have time to find enough tinder to get a fire started. That is my point with this kit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These are a batch of the egg carton/lint type.
I've made hundreds of these and they are quite effective.
I have them stashed in cookie tins everywhere. They burn for approx 10 mins.

I have also used paper towel or toilet paper rolls and then cut them into 1/2 inch discs. Prefer the egg carton. More exposed cardboard helps starting them.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/michael_sfl2002/firestarter.jpg
View Quote

One flat burns for 10 min? I've always heard of this technique but I've never tried it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't seem practical, but a good use of resources.

Have you ever tried an oxidizing agent and glycerin? It starts a fire much easier, check out Caveman's Companion www.cavemanscompanion.com
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I just carry this and some calcium carbide.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Just saw this:   Brave The Wilds
The young man comes up with some good ideas, Please check it out!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#15]
OP:  Nice creativity.

I primarily use Strike Anywhere matches stored in pill bottles and rolled strips of inner tube.  I also use a roll of innertube and waxed newspaper or grocery bags. Rubber is an ancient firestarter that nobody seems to know much about.  You can light a piece of rubber on fire and float it in a bucket of water.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top