Do you have a smart phone?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Easy and cheap: LG Optimus Dynamic, older Android OS, 19.99 w/free shipping on eBay. Activate and buy a few minutes, 10 bucks, 20 bucks, it has GPS, also connects to interwebs which costs some of the bandwidth you paid for when you bought minutes, but if you are close to wi-fi it will connect and not charge you for the minutes/bandwidth.

So 40 bucks or so and you have GPS, an emergency phone, internet anywhere, and a mini-computer that will take a 32 gig SD card and play music etc.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
My question still stands do you have a smart phone? If you do there is this nifty little app you can install on android or Iphone that you can download maps for free and make your own maps, Once you do that you don't need a cell signal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I always check pawn shops, got my last two good gps deals there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're willing to do the work beforehand, a Foretrex 401 is cheap and awesome. Much more useful than people give them credit for.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get a Garmin eTrex 10 for $97.98 at Amazon.

It's a pretty stripped model, 2-axis compass (as opposed to 3-axis), won't be able to load maps, etc. but it's got a good antenna and circuitry.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Depends on the phone, but I have a garmin gps 62 and an iphone4s.

The iPhone 4s receives both gps and glonass (Russian version of gps) without needing cell access.

I have the "ihikegps" app, and it is much easier to use and intuitive than the garmin 62.

You can download any usgs or forest service map for free when you have service, then you don't need service to use the app.  As long as you know beforehand which topos you will be on, you are set.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I would check eBay for a 60cs.  ~$125 range....

or I would recommend stepping up a little for a 60csx ~$175
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:50:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
A person can find used basic Garmins at pawn shops. The basic lat. and long. function is all that is really needed to navigate particularly if you also carry a compass. I have seen the most basic models go for $50 at pawn shops, they don't have all the bells and whistles like the newer models, make sure you can take them back if they are not working.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and don't rely on cell phones.  Their apps require a phone service to download maps and how big a map depends on the screen resolution.  Just imagine trying to use "Google Maps" with no internet service.
View Quote

There are GPS apps that don't require maps (example).

Even in the absence of maps stored in software, being able to take lat/long fixes, compass readings, get local sunrise/sunset and current times, altitude, speed, etc. can still be very useful.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Try out Backcountry Navigator (fully functional 21 day trial) if you've got an Android based phone. Allows you to download map tiles to your phone for areas with no cell coverage -- satellite imagery, topo, forest service, among several other map types. It's not a replacement for a real GPS (i.e., only as rugged as your phone is, so no water/shock proofing, probably poor battery life, etc.), but it's a really great app, and only $10. It's become a staple for me when I go wheeling -- only app I've ever spent money on, and I'd do it again any day.

That said, I also have a GPS unit for those times when I won't have a charger available or don't want to risk breaking my phone.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would need cell signal for that?  This will be for hiking in the mountains in Utah.  No idea what the cell coverage looks like.
View Quote

No. We went hiking yesterday and got past cell coverage, GPS still works fine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/5089/83o4.jpg

Even in the absence of maps stored in software, being able to take lat/long fixes, compass readings, get local sunrise/sunset and current times, altitude, speed, etc. can still be very useful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and don't rely on cell phones.  Their apps require a phone service to download maps and how big a map depends on the screen resolution.  Just imagine trying to use "Google Maps" with no internet service.

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/5089/83o4.jpg

Nice app, thanks for the link, will add that!
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd find a used Garmin eTrex.  Rugged, and runs forever on a pair of AA's.

I've never been impressed by smart phone battery life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#17]
One of them is a Garmin etrex  Legend HCx, I paid $50 for it. Full color mapping with memory, compass, routing, everything in a smaller water proof package. Buy a map package (cost more then the Garmin but so what) and you have a full portable GPS that does about everything in a light portable package with great battery life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I run a Magellan explorist 110.  It has a color scree with good visibility.  It's easy to use.  Acquires satelites quickly; and, is very accurate.  I got mine off Amazon.  I think I paid about $85 for it, shipped.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Run a pair of AA's 24 hours a day for a few days then tell me how impressive they are.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Run a pair of AA's 24 hours a day for a few days then tell me how impressive they are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I get a solid 20+hrs on a pair.  And I have zero need to run them more than 5min at a pop maybe 10 times a day.

The wife is lucky to get 48 hrs on the smart phone; and that's with it turned off.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I get a solid 20+hrs on a pair.  And I have zero need to run them more than 5min at a pop maybe 10 times a day.

The wife is lucky to get 48 hrs on the smart phone; and that's with it turned off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Galaxy S5 is good for approx. 12.5 days in "ultra lower power mode" - which gives you basic phone/texting service for almost 2 weeks continuous.

Naturally, firing up the GPS will reduce battery life considerably - But you don't need that for more than a few minutes at a time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#22]
The gps on my phone (S4) really drains the power quick. I have an old E Trex that runs on two AA batteries and is very basic no color but was able to down load street maps on it. Honestly it covers what I need and can record your movements and let you set way points.
ETA: Mine is a Legend. When I looked it up I saw this one and it looks to be pretty good, better than mine anyway.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00542NVDW?cache=99070296062076ff06f485573e03ff1f&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1402711194&sr=8-10#ref=mp_s_a_1_10

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Not sure about your local climate but trying to use my smartphone when the screen is wet or I'm wearing gloves is a soup sandwich. I prefer a GPS unit with physical buttons.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got an older eTrex in the Jeep, I consider it an emergency backup, but it's been used at times.

I'm currently mostly using a program called PDF Maps on my iPhone and Android. Newer maps you have to pay for, but older Topos are free, and most of the places I go haven't changed in a very long time... or you have cell signal for Google Maps.

I've also used my Garmin Forerunner 301, but it's getting a bit flakey as far as where it thinks it is. Honestly NBD for land-navigation (it's only off by a couple hundred feet at any given time) but it loses mileage for me when running or bike riding. I bought a Garmin Edge 800 (which has maps) to replace it, and it wouldn't be worthless in a survival situation, but that's not really what it's built for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not sure about your local climate but trying to use my smartphone when the screen is wet or I'm wearing gloves is a soup sandwich. I prefer a GPS unit with physical buttons.
View Quote

This is honestly the only real problem w/ using your smartphone.  I have a pretty heavy duty case on my iphone 4s, so a little water is no big deal, but if I dropped it in a puddle/creek/etc. it'd crap out pretty quick.  That being said, I've used the phone on hiking and motorcycle trips as my primary gps and never had a problem w/ it.  I use MotionX-GPS and download the maps to the area where I'll be headed and the resolution is just fine.  If I want more, I just remove some songs, and download a higher resolution map - not a big deal.  I always know where I'll be going, and have a physical map backup.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#26]
The phone thing has intrigued me enough to try it for a project, going to get one of the 20 dollar smart phones off eBay, and NOT activate, and see how it works.

Skibane's link to the GPS essentials app is a great one, was looking last night and found some potential map apps on google too, some that work offline which is the main thing, the phone will connect for free to wi-fi hotspots, so should be able to download the apps at local coffeeshop. The 20 dollar GPS project, lol, i'll report on how it goes.

FYI: There are several dozen places to get maps for free that work on a Garmin GPS, 80 bucks for a map is F'ing ridiculous. Openstreetmap.org has a whole section with free maps that work on the Garmin GPS's.

ETA: OSM is telling me that GPS Essentials supports OSM maps as well as google maps, don't have the phone in front of me right now but will check.

More FYI: if you run Linux, check your repo for "foxtrotgps", it should be there on any Debian-based distro, cool little map app, you can pull up OSM and outline any size area in the browser, right click and download the map tiles up to 6 levels of zoom, just be sure you have a good connection as larger areas and more zoom will result in LARGE file downloads.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View Quote

+1
no need for GPS unless truly in the middle of no where
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Update: Well you can get offline maps galore and GPS essentials has everything else you might want, so the 20 dollar phone GPS is totally do-able. But the real problem IMO, is the screen size, the 3.2" screen works okay for the dashboard giving you GPS coordinates and other info, but sucks badly when trying to use a map. This has also convinced me not to waste money on a handheld GPS, again the screen size sucks, and now way i'm gonna pay 100 bucks or more for that.

But.....

Wife has a Nexus 7, and while past the budget of this thread (though I did find an older model at 99 bucks on eBay, also a Sero 7 which is very similar for 68), since she already has it and uses it extensively (she uses it with an add-on keyboard in place of a laptop), I had her add GPS essentials, and will add one of the map apps and see how it performs. Mapping already looks MUCH better on the larger 7" screen.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to use the Garmin eTrex GPS units.  They are cheap and work pretty well (although one did fail and almost get me killed once in a whiteout - always carry a compass!).

Lately I have been using the Backcounty Navigator app (discussed by mr0w1 on page 1) on my Android phone.  You can download USGS maps, so you don't have to worry about having a signal.  The maps don't take up too much memory; I probably have everywhere within 300 miles of my house on my phone right now.  The app works great.  

I had a similar app when I used to have an iPhone, but I can't remember the name of it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Get an basic Garmin eTrex and have a blast with it.  I use a program called basecamp and you can play with google maps and contour maps and other goodies. I have a smartphone and nav units for my jeep, but, a basic hand held Garmin is what I carry and trust while in the woods/hunting.

Along with the smartphone and a good compass i have plenty to do while sitting in a tree stand and trying to stay awake.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turn down the refresh rate on your GPS to battery saver mode. It doesn't need to datalog every few seconds to mark your path and give you useful positions.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Something to consider with commercial GPS's is that there is an OPSEC risk with them if you lose or sell them. With a Cell Phone you just accept someone is watching or at least storing your locations for future use but with a GPS you have to either never get rid of it or destroy it when you are done with it.

I got a copy of GarminMaps for my Etrex GPS's and was shocked at how much info it stores just in the course of normal operation. Every time it position refreshes, it stores the time, date, position,heading, and speed. That same cheap low end GPS will make it from Detroit to Newport News, VA, to the mountains in WV for an ARFCOM SF campout and almost back home before it runs out of free memory and starts to overwrite the start of it's memory data array. And that's on the standard (high) refresh rate.

That's 18 hours of driving.... most people will never use their GPS's a total of 18 hours in the GPS's life so essentially it can rat you out on every place it has ever had the power on. I bought a second GPS on ARFCOM used and between GarminMaps and looking at the previous owner's waypoints saved I could tell a lot more about him than I would be comfortable with others knowing about me.

Never use a GPS around or near a location that is or may become important to you. Period.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#33]
There's an app for the iphone that allows you to remotely wipe it if it's lost.  The app also lets you see where it is and also ping it and cause it to sound a loud, annoying, chime, even if the volume is off or it's set to vibrate.  It's called "Find iphone".

Most brands of GPS have a master reset that wipes the memory.  If you use it around areas you don't want people to be able to see if you lose it, just do a factory reset if you've used it near a sensitive area.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There's an app for the iphone that allows you to remotely wipe it if it's lost.  The app also lets you see where it is and also ping it and cause it to sound a loud, annoying, chime, even if the volume is off or it's set to vibrate.  It's called "Find iphone".

Most brands of GPS have a master reset that wipes the memory.  If you use it around areas you don't want people to be able to see if you lose it, just do a factory reset if you've used it near a sensitive area.
View Quote

I'm sure that a 'master reset' is like formatting a hard drive-the information is still there but the headers to find the information have been removed. GPS units taken off of Taliban have proven to be an absolute Goldmine-I'll bet they are smart enough to do a master reset before they leave their Dacha.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#35]
OP fwiw, Cabala's has the Garmin e trex 20 on sale for 119.00. It's a factory refurbish, but has the same map, and warranty as the new one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I want a simple one that plots my hike, measures mileage and tells altitude.  Which one would be the best for that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I want a simple one that plots my hike, measures mileage and tells altitude.  Which one would be the best for that?
View Quote

If you don't need maps, the Foretrex 401. If you need maps, the eTrex. Both inexpensive, small and unobtrusive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top