Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2014 8:24:45 AM EDT
I have been thinking about revamping my get home bag lately, and this is what I have been thinking of for keeping in my trunk.

likely use is +/- 25 mile commute home from work- assuming if I need this it will be a walk home as some of the likely scenarios for needing this would cut off vehicle travel routes or having a dead car (major highway that clogs easily, and to get to it having to cross rail lines).  As such, I'd like to keep the load down to get out as rapidly as I can (likely a two day trip with that distance).  Would be an urban to suburban to rural trip, likely temps could range from 90s to 20s depending on time of year.

Going for the most basic- Food/Water/Shelter

Food:
Two pouches of tuna- periodically rotated- possibly a cliff bar.

Water:
Smallish 2L hydration pack with a Sawyer Mini filter (really big deal on extra water if I need this in say summer hurricane season and it is hot and humid)- water works at the jobsite even if power is down- will pass by creeks on way home.

Shelter:
Space blanket with a bit of rope to rig a shelter and a light poncho or extra garbage bag.   Matches/lighter too.

in addition I will have a  compass, leatherman style multi tool, hanky, extra socks, a headlamp and a small first aid kit.

Again, trying to keep this ultra light (and knowing I keep extra seasonal clothes in the car and at the office) anything I am missing out on or should ditch?
thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Go super simple - how about just a good walking shoes and water? Worse case is you walk 25 miles home, figure 8-9 hours. Rain suit + wool hat for bad weather. Its not like you are 100+ miles from home.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
A paper map and a jacket.

ETA:  cash and credit cards in case you have to shelter in a motel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you not put this topic in the Survival Gear forum?
View Quote

sorry, mods please move or nuke.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll post my take on a UL GHB when I get back from test camping it this weekend:

REI lookout 40 internal frame pack
UL Patagonia Synthetic convertible pants/shorts of green
Wigwam wool socks
UL "Performance" long sleeve shirt od green
Underarmor boxer briefs
Dri ducks poncho green
5ish x 7ish poly tarp
Space blanket
50' 550 cord black
25' tubular nylon webbing
Becker BK16 with DMT blue mini wallet stone
Coglhans Serra saw
Machanix light duty camo gloves
Sawyer mini with big bag
Kleen kanteen 24oz
Datrex 3 day food ration
3x Crystal light single packs (with electrolytes)
Pez candy
Small altoids tin with mini bic, fatwood, waxed jute
Small AAA kaito palm radio am/fm/wb
Black Diamond AAA Gizmo headlamp
$50 Visa gift card wrapped with neon green duct tape and then electrical tape
Outdoor basic med kit with safety pin,tweezers, Israeli bandage added
4x 11" HD cable tie
Sharpie
Spare iPhone car brick and cable
Keychain compass /whistle/ magnifying glass
County comm mini signal mirror
Spare keys cut down for lightness (wish I could just own lock picks)

For a total of.....19.xx lbs!!!!

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a folding bike for the trunk and cut your travel time down to 2-2.5 hrs.

Folding bike
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#9]
interedashing idea! thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Why tuna? I get low blood sugar so something with some carbs really perks me up when I need a boost.

I get wanting water and carrying a Sawyer mini. I would focus on having a good supply on you at all times.

There is no way I'm going to camp with that short of a distance between me and those I love. I will just walk straight through. Concentrate on proper clothing being with you at all times. Proper shoes too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
you may want to add a couple of electrolyte glucose replacement packs like the powdered GatorAid.....I make my own with Morton lite salt for the potassium, Morton regular iodized and sugar... I used a recipe found on the net.... supposedly very close to the GatorAid percentages when mixed with 1/2 liter of water.... works well for me for Fla shooting matches  with one 1/2 liter EGR mix for every two regular 1/2 liters of water
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you may want to add a couple of electrolyte glucose replacement packs like the powdered GatorAid.....I make my own with Morton lite salt for the potassium, Morton regular iodized and sugar... I used a recipe found on the net.... supposedly very close to the GatorAid percentages when mixed with 1/2 liter of water.... works well for me for Fla shooting matches  with one 1/2 liter EGR mix for every two regular 1/2 liters of water
View Quote

That's a good point, too much water and not enough electrolytes can take you out just as bad no water.  I keep the little Gatorade individual serving packets in my bag.  They're cheap and I've used some after 2 years, just last week actually.  We had a break down and a long walk.  The picture on the pouch was a little worn but the powder mixed and tasted fine.

Also the Gatorade energy gummies work really well and take up no room at all.  I have a few packets in each bag.  They've saved my ass in more than one long match without food.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're trekking on foot, I'd add mole skin and a good fixed blade.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're looking to go minimalist than a good folder and a multi tool would do well.  I used my multitool all the time from fiximgs holsters to car stuff.  Every time Ive left it out of the bag I've regretted it.

Also a glowstick, led beacon or at least a pt belt.  Sometimes you need to be seen or you might need to mark something to come back to like your bag, camp, or vehicle.  LA Police gear sells little stick on LED beacons that are about the size of a quarter only rectangular.  They last a couple days and turn on, off, solid, 2 blinking speeds and I believe SOS.  They were about $2 when I ordered them and used them on and off over the course of a year.  They still didn't die I just lost them one by one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you're looking to go minimalist than a good folder and a multi tool would do well.  I used my multitool all the time from fiximgs holsters to car stuff.  Every time Ive left it out of the bag I've regretted it.

Also a glowstick, led beacon or at least a pt belt.  Sometimes you need to be seen or you might need to mark something to come back to like your bag, camp, or vehicle.  LA Police gear sells little stick on LED beacons that are about the size of a quarter only rectangular.  They last a couple days and turn on, off, solid, 2 blinking speeds and I believe SOS.  They were about $2 when I ordered them and used them on and off over the course of a year.  They still didn't die I just lost them one by one.
View Quote
Perhaps add a sillcock key for access to water. Linky

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why tuna? I get low blood sugar so something with some carbs really perks me up when I need a boost.

I get wanting water and carrying a Sawyer mini. I would focus on having a good supply on you at all times.

There is no way I'm going to camp with that short of a distance between me and those I love. I will just walk straight through. Concentrate on proper clothing being with you at all times. Proper shoes too.
View Quote

-Tuna- something I like to eat and will rotate through, easy to get in my local grocery store in bags vs cans, my normal grocery store doesn't have the best selection of retort packed stuff.

-Water- a good portion of the year it is hot as all get out here, and I am a sweaty sweaty man who goes through a lot.   I rotate water bottles while I am at work so there is always 2L or so sitting in the break room.

- camping vs walking on- depending on the scenario that meant I'd be forced to "Get home" sans vehicle, 25 miles at a time might not be feasible.  I certainly am not as wide as I am tall, but I am no marathon runner, and when I go hiking 15 mile days (admittedly on much more diverse terrain than my route home would be) is a good bit of travel for me.  I can put in a lot more mileage when it is 60 than when it is in the 90s too.  

mainly trying to be prepared for worst case scenario.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you're trekking on foot, I'd add mole skin and a good fixed blade.

View Quote

Moleskin (and extra socks) is a good idea, normally have a decent locking folder on me 24/7 and wear comfy shoes every day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

glowstick might be the way to go (in addition to the headlamp)
Good bit of surface water on the way- sawyer mini should take care of that need.

thanks for the input all!  Looking forward to Dodge223's AAR.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

- camping vs walking on- depending on the scenario that meant I'd be forced to "Get home" sans vehicle, 25 miles at a time might not be feasible.  I certainly am not as wide as I am tall, but I am no marathon runner, and when I go hiking 15 mile days (admittedly on much more diverse terrain than my route home would be) is a good bit of travel for me.  I can put in a lot more mileage when it is 60 than when it is in the 90s too.  

View Quote

This is smart. I always take normal and x3. A normal 3 hour walk can turn into a 9 hour slug fest. This past year we had a ice storm in the Ral/ Cary area. One lady got stuck driving home. She was within 10 miles of home. She got home 8 hr later.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good bit of surface water on the way- sawyer mini should take care of that need.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would take a look at the LED beacons, I cant say enough about them especially for minimalist packing and long term storage.  Chem lights take up a lot more room and you can't turn them off.  Of course chem lights are cheaper but in the time it took me to lose the led beacon I had gone through a few boxes of chem lights the year before.  So $2 per light ended up being quite a bit cheaper.

Here's a link
http://www.lapolicegear.com/brite-strike-apals.html

And here's a link to an improved version
http://www.lapolicegear.com/brite-apals-air-strips.html

ETA-

Here's the list of specs from the page

-Can be seen from up to 1/2 mile.
-Runtime 80 plus hours.
-Convenient pull tab
-Modes: Steady On / Fast Strobe / Slow Strobe / Off
-Heavy Duty Adhesive back holds tight to any surface wet or dry
-Waterproof and Dustproof
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

-Tuna- something I like to eat and will rotate through, easy to get in my local grocery store in bags vs cans, my normal grocery store doesn't have the best selection of retort packed stuff.

-Water- a good portion of the year it is hot as all get out here, and I am a sweaty sweaty man who goes through a lot.   I rotate water bottles while I am at work so there is always 2L or so sitting in the break room.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pure protein isn't the best food for this kind of thing.  You really want something with carbs - you need the right fuel, not something you like.  Just stick some power bars or whatever in there.  Or get both.  Those flat tuna foil  "envelopes" are handy.  But carbs are what will keep you going.  

The sawyer is small enough that you can carry it but bring a couple bottles of water - you can refill them as they empty.

I like a roll of medical tape.  You can use it as tape to fix stuff and hold stuff together, tape up wounds, use it like moleskin.  Lots of uses and it peels off skin easy.  

Buy a cheap poncho - garbage bags really suck.  You aren't going to sleep or camp in your scenario.  Just slog, rest and slog some more.  Just bring stuff that helps you do that better.   Pack a good comfortable pair of sneakers.  That may be the most important piece of gear you can have at ready.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Folding bike
View Quote

I was going to suggest this. Add a rack on the back and something like a basket or milk crate to hold your stuff. Even if you're not built like a marathon runner, you will get home in much less time than walking.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#23]
A bike will help you carry your
stuff up a hill & the downhills
are free!

John

Quoted:

I was going to suggest this. Add a rack on the back and something like a basket or milk crate to hold your stuff. Even if you're not built like a marathon runner, you will get home in much less time than walking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Folding bike

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Folding bike
View Quote

I have a Montague Paratrooper folding bike, but haven't used it in this capacity yet.  I have an older Specialized Rock Hopper I need to get cleaned and tuned up and leave it at work for this purpose.  I also live about 25-30 miles from work; mostly a straight shot on an older country highway.

My plan has always been a smaller pack (30 liters or so) that I can wear on the bike or if I have to dismount on foot.  My road is pretty easy and I can average about 8-12 mph without pushing it to hard; that makes a potentially long one-day trek or potentially a two-day trek by foot cut down to just a 2-3 hours by bike...hard to argue with that math if getting home quickly is you number one priority.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:59:01 AM EDT
[#25]
might be a good idea to stash a couple of rim tools, extra tube and hand air pump if you consider a bike...
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted: thanks for the input all!  Looking forward to Dodge223's AAR.
View Quote

Here is my AAR

I put this pack together after watching a few videos on YouTube about ultra light hiking/camping. My commute on a typically day is 18 miles one way. I could in theory hike that in one very long day, sticking to the roads and highways. That being said I feel like that should anything happen warranting use of this bag that would be a horrible idea. Looking at the list of contents now, I fell now that it's by no mean minimalist. I also see that for all I have in there it's light enough for 72 hours without too much pain. Its also versatile enough that with food and water I could easily extend it's range to what most consider a bug out bag. I have refined this gear list over the past 3 years. It's what I consider a Get Home Bag. Light, fast, ready for most tasks.

Camping with this set up is ok. It has some comforts of home and will keep you alive in 3 seasons. I will add thermal long johns, hand warmers, and tea bags/cider mix for winter.

My philosophy is:

EDC: Stuff you carry everyday to keep your ass out of trouble and get though the day
GHB: Stuff you store in your car that will get you from work to home with no transportation
BOB: Stuff you need to get out of the house for a few days till you can come back and figure things out. (including catastrophic events that cause loss of use of your house)
INCH: I'M NEVER COMING HOME AGAIN...
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#27]
N/M
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd ditch the tuna and get four millennium bars in case you have to overnight. Plus they'll last longer and you can scarf them down on the run if you have to.  Also they have a high calorie density for high physical exertion. I'd also throw in one five hour energy or an energy drink powder to put in water.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Lots of good comments. I don't really see a need for multiple knives. One good multi tool should be good enough and you can lose the extra ounces of the fixed blade or large folder.

Moleskin and a folding bike really make sense too. A small tarp like.  5x7 bushcraft tarp and a woobie poncho liner can do a lot for you and you can ditch the garbage Mylar survival blankets that shred instantly when you even look at the sharply.

A headlamp and a comfy pair of sneakers would be good for a pack. Even if you are wearing good shoes to begin with. Stopping  halfway and putting fresh socks and sneakers can be the break your feet need.

A small plastic bar of peanut butter and some crackers would be a nice addition yo the pack and have to protein, carbs and fats that would be helpful for a long trek.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe some ibuprofen. If your not in the best shape, like me, and push it too hard the first day the second day might be a monster. Something to take the edge off might help.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Folding bike
View Quote
Heck, even rollerblades or a skateboard would help.

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yea, I would add some hard candy or something to keep the brain and blood going.  Protein while good over the long run has some drawbacks. Takes some energy and a lot of water to process it.

Also. CASH. Put $40 or so in small bills and a few bucks in quarters in there too.  That way you can hit a vending machine, buy a ride, buy more gas, etc.  Just throw it in there and forget it exists.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, do a 25 mile walk this weekend, and see how it goes.  You'll burn aboot 4,000 calories a day, for 2 days (ballpark number if bugging out goes perfectly for you).  Take the stuff you think you need and try it.  It might be a cake walk, or a wakeup call  On the best day of my life, I could have gone 25 miles with a "heavy" pack.  But this is not the best day of my life  Hell, it better not be.

People who have biggish mileage goals for their walking days should have an LED headlamp, and a bunch of calories along-- like two x 6 round boxes of Cliff Bars.  No cooking involved, and they go good with even strenuous walking.  Hiking that far on only a little salty tuna would kill me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:17:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP, do a 25 mile walk this weekend, and see how it goes.  You'll burn aboot 4,000 calories a day, for 2 days (ballpark number if bugging out goes perfectly for you).  Take the stuff you think you need and try it.  It might be a cake walk, or a wakeup call  On the best day of my life, I could have gone 25 miles with a "heavy" pack.  But this is not the best day of my life  Hell, it better not be.

People who have biggish mileage goals for their walking days should have an LED headlamp, and a bunch of calories along-- like two x 6 round boxes of Cliff Bars.  No cooking involved, and they go good with even strenuous walking.  Hiking that far on only a little salty tuna would kill me.
View Quote

This is solid advice.  My wife kicks off the first 50 miles of her hike this next weekened and I'll join her for the last 65 miles the following Friday.  We will average 10-12 miles a day (decent trail with moderate up and down elevations).  For a one-time shot, 20-25 miles is feasible if you're in decent shape, but I guarentee you'll be incapacitated for a day or two following.  Caloric intake and hydration are extremely mportant; if you don't hydrate and fuel the body, you'll find your speed, distance and alterness will drop and your injuries will increase.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wearing a pack while riding a bike, is problematic, because it raises your center of gravity.  Look at the rigs set up for bike touring/camping, and you will see that the gear-carrying panniers are mostly alongside the front and rear wheels in order to keep center of gravity low.  In addition, wearing a pack while riding greatly reduces the area of skin that can evaporate sweat and thus cool the body.

Most bikers wear, at most, a camelback or other hydro system.  I don't say it's impossible to wear a pack while riding a bike; clearly it can be done.  I suggest trying it a few times before deciding whether or not this is the way to carry gear while biking.
View Quote

It's a smaller pack; the Osprey Manta 30 (30-liter) and has been perfect for mountain biking.  I do agree, a heavy or large pack can really mess up your center of gravity, but if kept light and low-profile, it's a very simple option.  Mine is primarily a hydration pack, but with enough room to make it a 24+hour pack with some basic essentials.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Folding bike

Just wanted to +1 this train of thought. I recently got an Origami Crane 7 folding bike and am very happy. They compete with Dahon and Tern, better than Citizen of the same basic price, and several hundred cheaper than the competition. They include things that are add-ons with most brands (fenders, rear rack, bottle cage). They're a newish small company (one family). Bikes are hand made overseas in a small shop and they're making continual improvements. The owner responds very quickly to email and answers the phone personally. He's very active on the Folders forum at bikeforums.net. I feel like it's a great value at that price point. Got mine on sale for $299 plus shipping. They apparently do back to school sales too.

And after watching nutnfancy's Xootr videos, I picked up a Razor A5 Lux to keep in the vehicle all the time. The Razor is 220lb capable, lighter and faster than a lot of the competition, and costs about a quarter of a Xootr or Kickped. For a stash-it-til-you-need-it, $60 sounds better than $250. They say kick scooters are about 3x faster than walking on average -- I'll take that. Now to get it Cerakoted .

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And after watching nutnfancy's Xootr videos, I picked up a Razor A5 Lux to keep in the vehicle all the time. The Razor is 220lb capable, lighter and faster than a lot of the competition, and costs about a quarter of a Xootr or Kickped. For a stash-it-til-you-need-it, $60 sounds better than $250. They say kick scooters are about 3x faster than walking on average -- I'll take that. Now to get it Cerakoted .

View Quote

For some reason I have the picture of nutnfancy scooting down a street in full tac gear with a rifle slung over his shoulder, in my head now.

I thought about a scooter, but if we are going to do a scooter, we should do it right Gas Powered Scooter
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For some reason I have the picture of nutnfancy scooting down a street in full tac gear with a rifle slung over his shoulder, in my head now.

I thought about a scooter, but if we are going to do a scooter, we should do it right

Gas Powered Scooter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about a scooter, but if we are going to do a scooter, we should do it right

Gas Powered Scooter

You set out on one of those contraptions and you better be loaded down like nutnfancy cause the whole county will hear you coming.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You set out on one of those contraptions and you better be loaded down like nutnfancy cause the whole county will hear you coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas Powered Scooter

If you drive by on a scooter wearing full battle rattle no one will mess with you. The laughter would make it very hard to aim a firearm in your general direction. Just the tears from laughing so hard would be enough to make aimed fire impossible.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't forget the Gold Bond powder.  90 degrees, high humidity, and a 25 mile hike
are a perfect recipe for monkey butt.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Don't forget the Gold Bond powder.  90 degrees, high humidity, and a 25 mile hike
are a perfect recipe for monkey butt.
View Quote

Gold bond is with me always.  Awesome stuff!
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Millennium Bars, other then the higher calorie count per bar, are they better overall then Cliff Bars ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Two days of presumably active physical effort  is a long time to go chugging along on two pouches of tuna

Not that it isn't possible, but theres a reason why they call foods a comfort item in times of stress.

A reasonable variety of food for two days doesn't take up a lot of space.

You're also going to go through a lot of water in both warm and cold weather. How are you going to replace what you consume

Space blankets are a nice concept but most really aren't worth what little space they take up as a stand alone from the elements

Not that I don't have one or two freebies in the pack that I picked up for free at various places. I just don't expect them to be worth much when used.

Down into the 20s to me means some form of headgear. I prefer a black watchcap in those temps, coupled with some gloves that cover the skin but retain dexterity of motion.

Bottom line, I believe there is a minimum line that shouldn't be crossed in a quest for minimalism

Don't shortchange yourself.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:41:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Millennium Bars, other then the higher calorie count per bar, are they better overall then Cliff Bars ?
View Quote
Taste?  No.

But, they are designed for and hold up to long term storage in bad conditions. (Car trunk, boat, etc.)

Cliff Bars DO NOT hold up under those conditions very long.  On the order of weeks.  

Cliff Bars are only good if you are rotating and taking them with you most of the time like in a briefcase or laptop bag and then using them as a snack periodically.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Probably the best thing you could do is improve your physical condition.  Take long walks, go running, get into shape.  Lose any extra pounds from sedentary living.

I wouldn't want to have to hike 25 miles home.  But if I was grossly out of shape, that would be a three day trek.

If it's bad enough that you gotta walk home, you may run into goblins along the way.

Glad I'm less than ten miles from home.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Skip the tuna. It's heavy.

The lighter your bag is the faster you can make the trip, which means you might be able to avoid camping out or sleeping.

Camping or sleeping out will require more gear which is heavier.

It's quite the dilema.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Great topic, OP!

Before I read this, I had the exact same idea two days ago and ordered an ultralight pack. There is a twist to mine, however - I wanted a truly SHTF go-bag like I had in Afghanistan, only improved (if that can even be possible without the possibility of having distraction devices, smoke, frags here stateside ). Basically this bag will have the ability to keep me in the fight while getting the fuck outta dodge, it will also allow me to shelter in place a day or two until conditions improve, if the situation dictates.

That said, although I am sure about the theory of use behind this project, I am not 100% sure of where I will actually end up with item-wise or weight-wise. I'll start a new thread with pics so I don't hijack yours. Lots of good info in here so far, I might add.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:08:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Just resurrecting this thread.

You need to be a semi-experienced hiker to answer this question.  Even if you work out every day, 25 miles of effort will knock you out.  Your feet will hurt more than you thought possible.  You'll run out of water multiple times.  You'll wish you had more snacks.  And you'll hate your pack.

So, go light.  Get something like a CamelBak MULE.  Fill the bladder with water, and have a backup canteen or water bottle (the bladders do fail sometimes).  I prefer the newer stainless bottles, as the water tastes better, and it can serve as a purification device (boiling) in a pinch.  Have a good method of procuring more water.  

Have lots of food options.  You'll get hungry, and you'll appreciate having something to eat, even if just a single bar.  Go to a bike shop or running shoe store, there are all kinds of great packaged products available that combine quick energy, electrolytes, and caffeine, which are utilized by the marathon/triathlon/adventure racing types.

Get a poncho if you must have some kind of shelter.  On the AT and among other serious hikers, you actually see guys simply carrying an umbrella.

You do not need boots for this.  There is a saying in hiking that a pound on your feet equals five pounds on your back.  Light sneakers that are quick and quiet.  

Headlamp.  Versatile knife (I tend to think a small prybar is more useful in these situations).  Two knives is dumb.  

Spare socks.  Moleskin (duct tape works in this scenario, since you're done in 25 miles).  Wool Beanie.  Mechanix gloves.

Nothing else.  All of this will fit easily into the MULE pack.  Now get moving.  Eat when you need to, drink with you need to.  There is no point in having water in your bladder, and being dehydrated.  The water is doing more good in you than in your pack.

All this assumes you have some cash with you and a carry piece.

The last luxury I would consider is a solar-powered charger or one of those pre-charged battery packs.  There are some handy options available.  Having your smart phone operational at this time is key.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top