User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for the tip.

My ultimate goal would be to install them on my M1102 and use electric brakes and Toyota bolt patterns.

View Quote

Just remember if going with 2000 lb units they take 3500 lb hubs and brakes and the 3500 lb units take 6000 lb hubs and brakes. Did some research on them last night and found this out.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The single has plenty of payload capacity for me.  My truck is a V6 so doesn't have a huge amount of towing capacity so anything to make it easier to tow is a good idea to me.  A tandem does everything better....except tow easier.  

If I went with a tandem axle, I'd also go wider.  I'd go with a 7ft wide trailer.  Mine is 6ft wide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good stuff OP!

How do you feel about a tandem axle in the same length trailer? I have been contemplating single vs tandem axle for awhile, watcha think?

The single has plenty of payload capacity for me.  My truck is a V6 so doesn't have a huge amount of towing capacity so anything to make it easier to tow is a good idea to me.  A tandem does everything better....except tow easier.  

If I went with a tandem axle, I'd also go wider.  I'd go with a 7ft wide trailer.  Mine is 6ft wide.

Why a 7' wide? Just curious, I think if you went with an 8ft wide by 8ft high interior then you have plenty of room. I'm using excel to draw up a rough floor plan. I made the cells 1/4" tall/wide to create a graph paper type layout and use the boarder fill function to "draw" out the layout. I have 4 feet on the back I split in half (4x4 foot area) to use for storage and the other side is the area for a battery bank and all. With 8 feet you can add some insulation and have plenty of room.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just remember if going with 2000 lb units they take 3500 lb hubs and brakes and the 3500 lb units take 6000 lb hubs and brakes. Did some research on them last night and found this out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip.

My ultimate goal would be to install them on my M1102 and use electric brakes and Toyota bolt patterns.

Any idea if the 2000lbs units are rated for 2000Lbs per side or total for the pair?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why a 7' wide? Just curious, I think if you went with an 8ft wide by 8ft high interior then you have plenty of room. I'm using excel to draw up a rough floor plan. I made the cells 1/4" tall/wide to create a graph paper type layout and use the boarder fill function to "draw" out the layout. I have 4 feet on the back I split in half (4x4 foot area) to use for storage and the other side is the area for a battery bank and all. With 8 feet you can add some insulation and have plenty of room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good stuff OP!

How do you feel about a tandem axle in the same length trailer? I have been contemplating single vs tandem axle for awhile, watcha think?

With 8 ft wide I would have to go with wider mirrors on my truck.  My truck could handle 7 ft wide with the stock mirrors.  

You can always go bigger.  Nothing wrong with that...except your tow vehicle requirements go up.  I wanted something easy to tow.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
At this point I can't say for sure but I am feel that it is per wheel.

Quoted:

Any idea if the 2000lbs units are rated for 2000Lbs per side or total for the pair?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

With 8 ft wide I would have to go with wider mirrors on my truck.  My truck could handle 7 ft wide with the stock mirrors.  

You can always go bigger.  Nothing wrong with that...except your tow vehicle requirements go up.  I wanted something easy to tow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea. I have a Chevy Silverado 2500HD so I'm pretty set on towing (my mirrors also can extend out).  But I was thinking if you went long enough you could have room for an atv or something. I'm a dreamer, I know. My SHTF scenario is just short term (3-6 months maybe up to a year) so why not live it comfortably?

Another thing I was just thinking about was, when I was reading through the topic I never saw (unless I just missed it) you talk about the trailers floor. Did you just leave it alone? Or put a little insulation down?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The floor isn't insulated.  I might one day....but probably won't.  We won't be sleeping in it much if the temps drop too far below freezing.  We do most of our camping in the early spring through late fall.  We are probably done with camping for this year.  

On our last camping trip (last weekend) we camped in a site with electricity and I ran a small ceramic heater.  Worked great.  Kept the trailer EASILY at a whatever temp we wanted running on low (750 watts) and it didn't even run all the time.  I set it on the floor and it ran on and off throughout the night.  Actually didn't run very much throughout the night either.  This camper is VERY easy to heat and cool.  Lowest temp was around 32-35 or so.  There was plenty of capacity to turn it up if it had gotten colder....but wasn't needed.  The floor was a little cool to walk on but nothing that a pair of socks couldn't handle.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Width of trailer is something I set to the vehicle I plan to use for towing.  Sure, anything can be towed if legal, but having a trailer the width of the tow vehicle makes for easy towing in my opinion.

If the truck fits, the trailer fits.  No skinny trailer hiding behind a dually making backups difficult.  No skinny vehicle behind a big huge box trying to see around it even with mirror extensions you wind up with a lot of that trailer catching wind.

I also learned with the jeep and my ancient utility trailer I got for a few hundred bucks that if running over some boards for a home made bridge having the trailer track in the jeep ruts means the trailer tires go right over the bridge.  Yes it could have been managed anyway, tiny ditch of rain water and mostly avoiding mud.  But having it track right in with the wrangler was super nice and easy.

Now that I have a wrangler and a short bed half ton I notice when a big box trailer is catching a lot of wind.  Had a dually and it never cared what I hooked to it, jeep grand cherokee knew it was there but did not really care much since I never towed near its limit.

Depending on where you park and how you do things you might find a single axle enclosed trailer with a wheel on the tongue jack is something you can easily move around empty, this is usually on flat concrete.  Get into the dual axles and they might go forwards and backwards ok but I don't find them as easy to turn.

At a friend's place one year the truck had issues so we unhooked the loaded trailer and just pushed it over to his truck and hooked it to his truck.  Trailer was loaded right, single axle with a good tongue jack with wheel in place and it rolled easy.

Truck got towed and fixed.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I just want to point out that the federal legal limit for vehicle width (or trailer, without the over-sized load markings) is 102" (Hawaii is the exception, I think there they can go 108" but they differ due to some historical stuff). Yes that is for commercial vehicles (semi's, box trucks, ect), but it works out that if the federal width is 102 then anything at that or under will be fine. Yes this is more for "city" and not back country so do take that in mind if you're planning to go extreme off road. Where I plan to go it is not a big issue for me.

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/Freight/publications/size_regs_final_rpt/index.htm#width
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag for interests.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top