Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread is no longer pic heavy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about the pics. Apparently I've exceeded my bandwidth....whatever that means. Maybe a more technical person can explain. Pics should show up again around the 7th or so when my monthly allotment of bandwidth resets.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry about the pics. Apparently I've exceeded my bandwidth....whatever that means. Maybe a more technical person can explain. Pics should show up again around the 7th or so when my monthly allotment of bandwidth resets.
View Quote

I had the same problem when I built my trailer and did a step by step on here as well. I paid for the upgrade just for a month. Dont delete anything, the bandwidth issue has nothing to do with that. Im not 100% on what it means, but I know deleting didnt help, that is why I upgraded. So, either pay to upgrade or just wait til the 7th.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
die-tryn, you got those speakers mounted yet?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
die-tryn, you got those speakers mounted yet?  
View Quote

LOL..no not yet. waiting on my order from amazon.

Ill post over there ------------> when i get em, I plan to do similar to what you had planned.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like my pictures are showing again.

I just bought a 12 volt water pump.  Plan to order a Eccotemp propane water heater and building an outdoor shower/dishwashing setup.  Still thinking about how to do it.  Got some ideas but still working out the details.  I'll post up pics of the hot water system once I get it up and running.  

I have to be out of town for a couple weeks so won't get back to working on this till the end of the month.  But, we'll be doing some camping in it again in July, August, September, and probably October of this year.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
It is really neat.  A buddy of mine found a really nice pop-up for $4500 used, which makes me think I might look hard for a pop up.  But still I like this - I like the low maintanncce of what you did, you have to be pretty pick about maintainance of popups to keep mice  and other crap out.   I could see this working well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Any chance you could share a picture of how you mounted the stabilizer jacks on your trailer? I love your trailer. I am currently working on our 6x12 conversion we picked up 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any chance you could share a picture of how you mounted the stabilizer jacks on your trailer? I love your trailer. I am currently working on our 6x12 conversion we picked up 2 weeks ago.
View Quote

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

I am unable to for a couple weeks but will post some pics for you when I return.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm back home and will be working on the trailer.  I ordered the water heater and the water pump and they arrived while I was gone.  I started putting the water system together and did a quick test run.  It works perfectly.  However, it still has to be mounted in the trailer.  

I would have taken pictures but it started pouring rain so I had to close it up and didn't get a chance to take pics.  I might be able to get it mounted up and pics taken tomorrow depending on the weather.

This Eccotemp water heater is a pretty neat device!

I also got the mountain scene decal for the left side of the trailer and will be putting that on soon too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the updates
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry for the blurry spots in this pic and the others.  Guess there was a smudge on my camera lens.

Here's the underside of the trailer showing the rear stabilizer jacks.  I didn't realize that the wire was that close so I'll be tying it up out of the way.

I wanted to bolt the jacks to the metal frame but they would have been too low and would have dragged occasionally when towing.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]
*Edit with some non blurry pics*

Here are some pics of what the hot water system is going to be.  The wire isn't completely hooked up yet because I need an on/off switch near the pump.  Will be getting one soon.  The pump is pretty neat.  When you turn the pump on, it pumps until a preset pressure is reached and then the pump shuts off.  As soon as I turn the "on" switch on the shower handle, it drops the pressure in the water lines and the pump kicks on immediately.  I'm guessing it's pumping at 40-50 psi but that's just a guess.

The water heater comes with a 6 ft shower hose and I've ordered another one.  I'll put them together and make it 12 ft long.  The loose hose coming out of the bottom port of the pump is the hose that will go down into the water bucket/jug.  It sucks up the water, pumps it to the water heater, and then the water heater heats it, then sends the heated water to the shower handle.  I have some Aquatainers.  They are 7 gallons each.  I wonder if my wife can shower with just 7 gallons?

Closeup pic showing the quick disconnect water supply line.  I've gotta figure out how to add another quick change connector to a garden hose so if we camp in a place with running water in the camp site, we can run the water heater without having to fill Aquatainers.  

Closeup pic showing the clearance for the heater when the door is closed.  Fits perfectly.  

This is the shower tent we got from Academy.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is the latest (and probably last) decal.

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I found a water hose adapter in the Eccotemp water heater box so, while I would prefer a quick attach, still it'll work for attaching a garden hose to a campgrounds water supply.  Now I just have to pick up a garden hose to keep in the camper.

Switch for the water pump installed.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good
I think you're doing a good job
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:51:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you. Makes it clear now how to mount mine.

Love the thread!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Great job!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

True.  We re-lock the side door with the padlock when inside.  That way, some asshole could close the bar latch but can't secure it.  I could then open the window and screen and push it back and then get out.  

Some people put an eye bolt on the wall of the trailer and secure the bar lock to it while inside.  Not a bad idea but I'm not going to do it.  I just lock the hasp when inside and it's not an issue.  

But, good concern!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would change the locking system for the doors. Seems like an asshole or best friend could lock you in with no way to get out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

True.  We re-lock the side door with the padlock when inside.  That way, some asshole could close the bar latch but can't secure it.  I could then open the window and screen and push it back and then get out.  

Some people put an eye bolt on the wall of the trailer and secure the bar lock to it while inside.  Not a bad idea but I'm not going to do it.  I just lock the hasp when inside and it's not an issue.  

But, good concern!

I had some friends do exactly this to me at the racetrack. They let me out after about 20 minutes of cursing, but had it been malicious......
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Just got back from a recent camping trip to a local lake.  Tested out the shower system.  The campsite that we stayed at had water and power.  I hooked the shower directly up to the water supply.  Worked great.  Then, I did a test shower with the pump and the water heater.  It worked FANTASTIC!  I took what I thought was a pretty lengthy shower.  I used about 3.5 gallons of water.  I could have been much more economical with the water from the Aquatainer but wanted to see how much a long shower would use.   So, one 7 gallon Aquatainer should be good for 2-3 showers.

The AC blew ICE COLD!  Actually, we got a lot of condensation on the outside of the windows because it was so cold inside.  I will probably have to do something with the condensate drain.  These small AC units collect the condensate water around the condenser and then use it to help cool the condenser.  Well, that ends in some excess water pooling in the AC unit.  I think I'm going to drill a hole in the lowest point of the condensate area and then attach my drain system to that.  It'll cost me a little more efficiency but the AC clearly is able to EASILY cool the trailer now so losing a little more efficiency shouldn't hurt the performance enough to keep it from working.  

Here's the campsite with the shower tent set up.

Added the generator to the trailer.  Didn't use it this trip because it wasn't needed.  It's a Champion inverter generator that I converted to run on propane in addition to gas.  Here's the link to the conversion thread.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Minor update.

Got a quick disconnect installed on the water heater to be able to quick disconnect both the regular water hose as well as the pump water hose.  Got the quick disconnects at Walmart.  Had to source the rest of the parts at local hardware stores as well as one small part had to be ordered online.  

The clear hose is the hose supplied by the pump and the blue hose is the garden hose.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Minor update.  

Got my tool kit put together for the camper.  If you have any recommendations of other things that you would recommend for a camper's tool kit, feel free to make recommendations.  I am probably going to add a socket and breaker bar for the lug nuts.  I'm probably also going to get a small folding hand saw.  Eventually I also need to get a spare tire for the trailer.

The 12 volt DC cables in the pic along with the funnel came with my Champion generator purchase.  They plug into the 12 volt DC outlet on the generator.  Nice to know that I could charge the battery in my truck if I should accidentally leave something on that discharges the battery.  

Haven't been camping in a couple weeks because have just been too busy to be able to go.  Can't go this weekend because I have to replace my cylinder head gaskets on my truck (trailer tow vehicle).  We are planning a camping trip in mid Oct.  It'll be to a primitive camp site and we'll do some hiking and possibly some fishing.  I plan to install my deep cycle battery by that point.  I've already ordered the master breaker for the battery box.  Should have the battery installed in a couple weeks.  

I would like to extend the tongue and install a bracket to mount the propane tank(s) on the front.  The problem at the moment is that there isn't enough room at the front of the camper for a tank mount bracket due to the V nose.  I could make a bracket but it would probably limit my turning radius....which already isn't very good with the V nose.  Still working on ideas though.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks pretty nice.

But personally if I am 'bugging out', I won't be dragging anything behind me.

I prefer the self contained type vehicle, maybe with a motorcycle (dual purpose) or other small vehicle mounted on the back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks pretty nice.

But personally if I am 'bugging out', I won't be dragging anything behind me.
View Quote

As mentioned, it's really just a camper.  The odds of me "bugging out" are VERY low.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#27]
So, how much $$$ at this point in the build? Oh, and awesome job btw.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So, how much $$$ at this point in the build? Oh, and awesome job btw.
View Quote

Including the generator, about $5000.  But, the generator is also dual purpose.  I can use it for power outages at the house.  So, minus the generator it's about $4500 or a little more.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you have any recommendations of other things that you would recommend for a camper's tool kit, feel free to make recommendations.  I am probably going to add a socket and breaker bar for the lug nuts.  I'm probably also going to get a small folding hand saw.  Eventually I also need to get a spare tire for the trailer.
View Quote

I'd get at LEAST a set of wheel bearings and cups, castle nut, cpl cotter pins, dust cap, and some axle grease. Preferably a whole new spindle with lug nuts and grease. A cpl extra seals as well.

Id add a hammer and some punches and/or a cup driver to the tool kit. Can of fix a flat and/or a plug kit. A set of straight cut tin shears would be helpful if you have a blowout and need to trim some of the sheet metal away.

of course a bottle jack and a stand or two....
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#30]
While it is sitting in the driveway play with it and see what tools you use.

Jack it up to rotate tires or change a tire.

What if any fuses and stuff are there to blow?  Lightbulbs in the tail lights?

I run into the vehicle kit as well, need the trailer coupler and chains and locks and stuff to match and have parts for stuff that might have a problem.

Perhaps you have some duct tape and a tarp to cover accidental damage to a window, roof, or wall.  Think about what might happen in minor wreck and what you could and could not handle.

Suspension?  I did not read thread again but if torsion axle I don't think you can really do repairs to that when it fails.  Leaf springs can break and u bolts can come loose and what not so you want to look at u-bolts and check that they are tight and if leaf spring suspension you have hangers and shackles and bushings to look at and consider.

I don't expect people to carry a full replacement parts kit and a huge mechanics rolling tool chest but it is a good idea to have looked the thing over and have some rough ideas on what you can handle and can't handle.

A nice big hammer and a spare tire will usually let you get moving after a blowout but as mentioned the bearings and even spingle are not unheard of spares to keep around.

I like spare locks in case my padlock fails or someone fills it with super glue or something else useful like that.

I just kind of like spares and keep some spare chain around for locking stuff down as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Tagged for my future build.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Not to Thread Hijack, but here is an ARF-link to a Portable Ham Radio Trailer I'm finishing

you can post there if you are interested....

OP your's looks great BTW!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Probably one of my last updates as the trailer is basically done.  Might do some small updates as I get around to them but we are at about 90-95% complete on this project.

Got the battery installed today.  Tested it out and it seemed to work fine.  Still have some more testing to do (mainly to determine when the battery is discharged, how many amps will the battery charger draw from the generator when it's running and if it can run both the AC as well as the charger).  

Installed a 60 amp breaker above the battery.  Was going to install a 40 amp but the charger is capable of 55 amps so figured I should have a breaker that is capable of handling the max amperage that might be flowing into the battery after a deep discharge.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Got back from a 4 day trip to a primitive campground.  There was running water in the campgrounds but not to the campsites.  Very relaxing because it was nearly empty this trip.  

The deep cycle battery worked great.  I did run the generator to recharge it but it could have easily run the entire weekend without being recharged.  

I did decide that I need to add a small inverter with an outlet inside the camper.  That way, we can run some low power draw devices like a laptop to watch a movie.  We thought about watching a movie the first night but without 120 volts AC, we couldn't run the laptop very long to watch a movie.  We could have run the generator but it was so quiet and peaceful at night at our campsite, we hated to mess up the silence with a generator.  So, I'll be adding a power inverter with an outlet in the camper sometime this winter in preparation for next year's camping.  

I also plan to add a battery state of charge meter as well as a 12 volt DC cigarette outlet inside the camper.  The reason for that is, we can charge a cell phone with a 12 volt car charger off the deep cycle battery without needing a power inverter or to run the generator.  

We did bring a Buddy Heater and used it to heat up the camper before bed and before getting out of bed in the morning.  I'd like to eventually install a small 12 volt RV propane heater but that may never happen.  The Buddy Heater heated the camper VERY easily on low.  Of course, I would NOT run it overnight while we are sleeping.  I'd be afraid that we might not wake up.  I do plan to get one of those small ceramic 120 volt heaters and keep it in the camper in case we are in a campsite with 120 volt power.  The Buddy heater worked GREAT but, as anyone who has heated with vent free propane knows, it does kick out a fair amount of moisture.  On the coldest night (probably upper 30s) we did get some condensation on the inside of the windows which I believe was a combination of the moisture put out by the Buddy heater as well as our body/breath moisture.  

Few pics showing the campsite set up:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I highly recomend an invertor anyway, I have several of different sizes and if you size it for the load you are using it is about as efficient an an invertor can get.

But for a laptop I would run a search for 12 volt chargers for your specific laptop.

Most laptops don't need 120 to charge but they usually are not using straight 12 volt either.

I think my panasonic might be 15 volts or something, anyway I ran a search and got a specific 12 volt charger for it.

It is more efficient to skip converting the battery energy when possable.

So 12 volt battery converted to what the laptop needs works best.

12 volt battery to invertor 120 to stock laptop charger that drops 120 down to 15 or whatever is going to waste more energy.

As I got into using batteries for stuff I would buy odds and ends.  I have cigarrette plugs and adapters and all sorts of usb adapters and several small invertors, now and then places change out the invertor at discount so I buy em on sale if I run into them.

The invertor is handy for other stuff or when you don't have your adapters with you or someone else does not have an adapter.

But my laptop has all of its cords and stuff in a laptop case so as long as it goes all the extras go as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I highly recomend an invertor anyway, I have several of different sizes and if you size it for the load you are using it is about as efficient an an invertor can get.

But for a laptop I would run a search for 12 volt chargers for your specific laptop.

Most laptops don't need 120 to charge but they usually are not using straight 12 volt either.

I think my panasonic might be 15 volts or something, anyway I ran a search and got a specific 12 volt charger for it.

It is more efficient to skip converting the battery energy when possable.

So 12 volt battery converted to what the laptop needs works best.

12 volt battery to invertor 120 to stock laptop charger that drops 120 down to 15 or whatever is going to waste more energy.

As I got into using batteries for stuff I would buy odds and ends.  I have cigarrette plugs and adapters and all sorts of usb adapters and several small invertors, now and then places change out the invertor at discount so I buy em on sale if I run into them.

The invertor is handy for other stuff or when you don't have your adapters with you or someone else does not have an adapter.

But my laptop has all of its cords and stuff in a laptop case so as long as it goes all the extras go as well.
View Quote

Good input.  

I don't own any direct 12 volt chargers for a laptop.  Good idea but I already own several inverters so it'll be a simple thing to just put one in there.  I have a 750 watt inverter that I'll probably be mounting in the camper and wiring it into the inside.  It will lose a little efficiency but not enough for me to worry about.  The battery clearly has plenty of capacity to run what I need it to and the inverter will be shut off most of the time anyway.  It will be just for short term use of low power draw devices like a laptop.  

Most of the campgrounds we go to have plug in power.  However, we really like camping in remote campsites in the spring and early summer as well as the fall because the weather is so nice.  With the generator, the battery, and the inverter (next year) we'll be able to really live in comfort even when in a remote area.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#38]
just to throw my 2 cents in on theis, ive wanted to do this for a while. ive worked in rv and camper factorys, i kinda live in the rv capitol of the us. and these cargo trailers ar built soooooo so soooo(i cant emphasize this enough) much better than any rv or pull behind.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn.  Nice job
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice skills !
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#41]
My question is, and maybe I'm over thinking this, how is the ground clearance? How "off-road" have you gone with it? I'm not talking rock crawling, but more like you might find an off-road trail to a nice secluded campsite.

I work at a lumber yard and I can't tell you how many times I've seen people bottom out a trailer on bumps/dips. Partly because they can't load right (you're seriously putting 56 50# bags of concrete towards the tongue?) or they use a heavy equipment trailer on their little ranger/s10/tacoma type "truck" or those lawn mower trailers on their ford car.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Lots a folks flip the springs on the axles for most clearance
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I want to do one of these trailers.
Strip the axles and replace them with a Timbren Axleless system. Each wheel will be independent of each other.

It will give some additional lift and agility for the trails off the beaten path.
http://timbren.com/axle-less/
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My question is, and maybe I'm over thinking this, how is the ground clearance? How "off-road" have you gone with it? I'm not talking rock crawling, but more like you might find an off-road trail to a nice secluded campsite.

I work at a lumber yard and I can't tell you how many times I've seen people bottom out a trailer on bumps/dips. Partly because they can't load right (you're seriously putting 56 50# bags of concrete towards the tongue?) or they use a heavy equipment trailer on their little ranger/s10/tacoma type "truck" or those lawn mower trailers on their ford car.
View Quote

The ground clearance is so-so.  I've not had any problems but I'm also not taking it off road either.  I wouldn't hesitate to take it down a gravel road or across a low water bridge but don't plan to take it off road.  I also don't overload it!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Strip the axles and replace them with a Timbren Axleless system. Each wheel will be independent of each other.

It will give some additional lift and agility for the trails off the beaten path.

View Quote

Man those look cool. Any idea on price?

Nevermind, saw some prices on etrailer.com.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Good stuff OP!

How do you feel about a tandem axle in the same length trailer? I have been contemplating single vs tandem axle for awhile, watcha think?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Summit Racing should have a better price.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good stuff OP!

How do you feel about a tandem axle in the same length trailer? I have been contemplating single vs tandem axle for awhile, watcha think?
View Quote

The single has plenty of payload capacity for me.  My truck is a V6 so doesn't have a huge amount of towing capacity so anything to make it easier to tow is a good idea to me.  A tandem does everything better....except tow easier.  

If I went with a tandem axle, I'd also go wider.  I'd go with a 7ft wide trailer.  Mine is 6ft wide.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:07:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the tip.

My ultimate goal would be to install them on my M1102 and use electric brakes and Toyota bolt patterns.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top