Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 1:48:29 PM EDT
This may be a dupe, I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Pivots as it strikes, levering wood away from itself.

Finnish Wood Splitting Axe
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks good, but it probably takes certain types of wood to work that efficiently.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a dupe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
My FIL splits would just like this with a double sided ax. He says right before the ax hits the wood he rotates his wrist. So he gets this same effect. I have tried it several times but just could never get the timing right like he can. I have seen him split gum as easy as white oak with this method.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks good, but it probably takes certain types of wood to work that efficiently.
View Quote

Yeah, I would like to slip a block of sweet gum in his wood pile. He would have a "WTF!" moment..
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Forget the axe, I like that 'tire idea' better!

Chris
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The tire idea is a good one.  I forget if the video shows that he screwed the tire to the splitting block or not.  Different size tires work well for various people.

In previous threads on this a lot of folks have wondered about how it twists at the end and if this might bother someone's wrists or not.

It was also mentioned that in nice freezing temps with good wood the wood will split nice and easy.

I consider it something to think about and what not but I have a splitting maul from back when I was splitting a bunch of wood and it does ok.  For the stuff that would not split well I got a couple of those wood grenade things and they will split about anything.

Of course once I spent a bit of time thinking about it I just left the hard to split stuff alone and used it for bonfires outside.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My FIL splits would just like this with a double sided ax. He says right before the ax hits the wood he rotates his wrist.
View Quote

That sounds like a great way to get some sort of exotic repetitive motion injury that none of the docs in your clinic has ever seen before...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top