BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 3:33:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
why would you want one in your jeep? you vehicle is a much better emergency shelter than any tent. if you are looking for something for impromptu camping it might be worthwhile.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The French military GP Medium tents I bunked in in North Africa sucked.  Brand new, never-before set-up and they came apart due to the terrible sewing and cheap metal hardware.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#5]
They look better than the POS shelter half tents I slept in when I was in the field. Froze my dick off in those more times than I care to remember, and they leaked when it rained.

At least these have a floor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the key question is what is it that you want to get out of such a purchase.

Like most things, people have different needs and expectations of tents.

I am suspicious of anything tent like that does not have a floor. Might as well just use a tarp as a floor less tent.

This one has a floor, and as tents go that is high on my least of desirable features.

I think that every time I have gone camping it has stormed on me. I want a sturdy tent that will hold up to a little rain and wind. This one looks sturdy.

It also appears to be good sized and I want someplace I can put a few things to keep them close by and dry.

However, it also appears to be pretty bulky and maybe heavy so might not be a good choice for backpacking.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]
My Boy Scout troop had more or less the same French tents in the 1980s.  They were OK nothing great.  
For the $ I guess it isn't bad. really.  These surplus ones are made by the same company and are the same design from everything I have seen but are drab colors instead of the orange ones we had. (We replaced the French tents with Eureka Timberlines ~'89-'90 and they were much better IMHO.)  I'd rather have a freestanding tent, not one that needed to be staked down to be erected. Also if I were buying a tent for emergency and or car camping I'd want something larger.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I've played with one and they are very cheaply made.  For the money just get a Walmart special at least those hold up for a little while and will keep you dry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#9]
french tent?  my guess would be that they would quickly collapse......
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#10]
10 pounds is VERY, VERY heavy.

Invest in a Big Anes Fly Creek UL1 or UL2.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top