Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 2:18:39 PM EDT
I saw an inflatable thermarest that packed down to the size of a 32oz Nalgene which is certainly smaller than any foam pad or self-inflating pad I've come across.

I guess I'm curious if its worth the price of one of these things or if there is something better out there.

eta:  went with the Static V.  It really is Nalgene sized lol.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sleeping pad is a tradeoff between size, weight, and comfort. Assuming we are talking non-insulated pads...

Those Thermarest are supposedly great pads, however they are just so noisy that I personally wouldn't use one

I'd recommend looking into these three from most comfortable to lightest and smallest:
-NEMO Astro Air
-Klymit XL Recon
-Klymit X-frame Recon

All three are at least as small as you say. The X-frame is ridiculously small and toted as being used in somewhat significant numbers by CAG. The NEMO Astro Air is really comfortable and has nice thick volume. I looked at these three pads recently in a purchase for myself and ended up with the XL Recon as I valued the ability to use the pad inside the sleeping bag as high (prevents rolling off pad, keeps pressure better, loft pockets seem to work better) and I felt like the X-frame was simply too small. For me, in a combat priority role that pad makes sense, however since I am not in that role, I figured I would benefit from the increased comfort of the XL. Also, the XL has a really nice integrated pillow in the pad. So far I really like mine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I typically use a Thermarest Ridegerest if I'm car camping. Comfortable, but bulky.

The Klymit X Frame Inertia is what I use if I have to carry all my crap on me. It's actually quite comfortable and is a great little sleeping pad. Also, folds up to about the size of a Monster drink can, which is super nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I really think this is one of those you just have to try for yourself.  I've had both and much prefer the Thermarest ridegerest over all of the inflatables I have tried.  I just accept that I will be carrying it on the outside of the pack.  A lot of people love the inflatables and can't sleep on foam.  I prefer the lighter weight, indestructible nature, and firmer sleep of the CCF (closed cell foam) pads.  The only downside in my eyes is bulk. I strap it to the outside of the pack and that is at least reduced from an inconvenience perspective.

I will second that I think the Klymit models are probably the best value out there.   Also if you can do any REI shopping, I'd suggest that, so if it turns out you don't like it you can return it and try the other.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a big "value" guy but will spend the money for top of the line if I need to. I did a lot of reading and some shopping at REI. After checking out the NeoAir, seeing how noisy and thin it was, being a side sleeper, it was an easy decision to go with the Klymit static V. Rather than having to carry a blue ccf pad too for cooler nights, I went with the insulated static V. Klymit definitely seems to be durable and is a great value.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't tried a ton of them, but the Klymit Static V is the most comfortable I have found (side sleeper).  It packs down pretty well, too.  The only real downsides I can see are if you somehow puncture it or you need more insulating value than an air filled pad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have yet to find a sleeping pad worth replacing my 6 year old Big Agnes insulated pad. It rolls down to the size of a nalgene bottle, has been absolutely bomb-proof.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]
update
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#8]
hammock.

Honestly I have closed cell, therma rest full and 3/4 length, the inflatable that rolls up tiny... they are all trade offs. Sleeping above the ground has made them all sit idle for the last two or so years for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top