Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 8:20:14 PM EDT
Provided there is a readily available water supply, how would you do it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
When on my Outward Bound trips and other wilderness type travels I would just wash them in whatever water was around, flowing streams were usually decent. air/sun dry.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
If making a long term camp then I could easily see getting into boiling water and all sorts of things for some of the clothes cleaning.

Just some running water is better than nothing and whatever soap you have will also help if you got them stinky or messy or whatever.

I have been known to hang stuff out on a line during a good long rainy day, it gets washed by the rain and when the sun comes out it dries.  I would go out in the rain and work the clothes as well somewhat, this was more for boyscouts camping during a big jamboree or something where we were out for a week or so.

To some extent it just depends on what I am doing and how long I will be out and how many clothes I brought.

Just swimming in a creek can rinse your clothes out somewhat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
x-large zip lock bag and a few drops of Doc Bronner peperment soap. Shake,need and wring out. Air dry.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a 2oz squeeze bottle of Dawn dish soap.  It can defunkify me, the cookware, and clothes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
With or without soap?

With soap, just wash them up and rinse them downstream from where I am getting my drinking water.

Without soap, soak them overnight in a stream or pond, wring them out good and air dry.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
x-large zip lock bag and a few drops of Doc Bronner peperment soap. Shake,need and wring out. Air dry.
View Quote

This is the best method I've found when backpacking...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

i'd pack a woman in with me, let them figure that shit out
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife does laundry at home, but she won't do my laundry in the field

Seriously, a large Ziploc a couple drops of Dr. Bronner's soap and clean/clear creek water is all that's needed.  Just like a regular washing machine, you agitate it by shaking it for a few minutes, and then just rinse and wring.  We only backpack with a single set of clothes with a few layers for different options, but after a few days on the trail, we take 20-30 minutes to do laundry and hang dry them.  Ziploc has larger two-gallon bags which are perfect and I can do a shirt, underwear and a pair of socks or two.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#10]
http://thescrubba.com/

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Waterfalls rule! But dragging the clothes behind the canoe in a mesh bag works nicely too!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Pick up a cheap dry bag at REI or the like. Not a true dry bag as it will be heavy, but the silnylon ones. They don't weigh very much, can do double duty in your pack, and don't cost an arm and a leg like the scrubba.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://thescrubba.com/

You're welcome.
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah that IS awesome LOL!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Scrubba is cool, but kinda pricey for what looks like a dry bag.

A thick contractor style garbage bag would work and it could pull double duty as a emergency shelter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
x-large zip lock bag and a few drops of Doc Bronner peppermint soap. Shake,need and wring out. Air dry.
View Quote

genius.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Big rock in the creek, the norm of centuries.  

Wet, wring, pound.  Repeat as necessary.  

Tj
View Quote

Not sure the gore-tex will hold up to that shit.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#18]
If its really dirty and you don't have access to soap a little bit of ash from a fire can substitute as some grit and also help sterilize.  Rinse well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#19]
never heard of the  Doc Bronner peperment soap stuff, will check it out. For years on my big long week plus trips where I need a refresh I usually take the tiniest amount of woolite in a bottle and hand wash. De-crusts your socks, undies and teeshirts perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With or without soap?

With soap, just wash them up and rinse them downstream from where I am getting my drinking water.

Without soap, soak them overnight in a stream or pond, wring them out good and air dry.
View Quote

Soap in the drinking water???

I don't anything about NY but if you got caught doing that in the Sierra, the ranger would fine your ass out of the county.....

Soap, sunscreen and salt from your body is NOT good in the water source. In the 70's whole lakes turned green from this practice, now that washing in the lake is banned - the lakes are back...

To answer the OPs question - fill bear can with water, carry 100 yds from stream / lake wash clothes - repeat several times. I've been doing it this way for 35 yrs and the clothes come plenty clean. Water will get you 90% there, no need for soap.

A solar shower works great for heating water for person, clothes or dishes.

My skinny ass waiting on my share of 104° goodness (5 liters ) - Ya is is well worth the weight if you are going out for a week or so.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]
We have so much water we don't know what to do with it all.

Seriously though, in the summer time I will jump right into a body of water naked and soap up.

I always use the biodegradable stuff.

Obviously I go out of my way to not bath in a common drinking water source, but the river is fair game.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
The doc bronner or bonner or whatever tends to get stuck in some people's minds as hippy type stuff.

But running some searches on it will tend to turn up that it is pretty good stuff and more importantly it does a decent job without being super nasty to the environment.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top