Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 1:21:12 PM EDT
I've found this so far:  http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-FTP1714-04-Action-Poncho/dp/B007X5Z67W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397596567&sr=8-2&keywords=poncho

Seems interesting and the price is right to consider disposable while the product itself doesn't seem like it will dispose of itself on the first shot lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Hot and humid weather?  

Please rain on my ass and cool me off.  Keep the poncho  (aka wimp gear from back in the day) at home.

If it's hot and humid you're already getting wet from just sweating.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hot and humid weather?  

Please rain on my ass and cool me off.  Keep the poncho  (aka wimp gear from back in the day) at home.

View Quote

I'm with you, you'll sweat under a poncho in hot rain. not worth it.
better you just got wet and then get dry asap when it stops raining.
Poncho's are great for keeping gear dry though..as long as you never put you gear down..
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Last resort garment.  Better, longer-lasting alternatives available.
View Quote

*ahem*

Such as ......... ?

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

*ahem*

Such as ......... ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last resort garment.  Better, longer-lasting alternatives available.

*ahem*

Such as ......... ?

Search for rain gear on REI's website.  Read the reviews. (And buy a membership.  One time $20 fee. I got $78 back this year).

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Poncho's are great for keeping gear dry though..as long as you never put you gear down..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hot and humid weather?  

yep, another +1.

The ponchos were also great for transporting a large volume of water to your lower legs and boots.  You may as well cross the creek by wading.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If you really want a rain poncho I would go for a USGI type.  I have several and they are what they are.  They are multi purpose, are relatively inexpensive, a quality poncho can take some real abuse, they can be found on the internet and in military surplus stores.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hot and humid weather?  

View Quote

this.

go wear a trash bag in july...the rain. go walk a few miles with your ruck on. get back tous on how dry you stayed

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, the last garment you want on when it's hot and humid is a rain suit or poncho.  It's best to have clothes that dry fast and a tarp to provide cover for serious downpours.  Use the tarp to stay dry but still allows a good breeze or humidity escape.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you really want a rain poncho I would go for a USGI type issue.  I have several and they are what they are.  They are multi purpose, are relatively inexpensive, a quality poncho can take some real abuse, they can be found on the internet and in military surplus stores.
View Quote

I tend to stay far away from anything advertised as USGI "type," or "style." That's usually sales-speak for an aftermarket, inferior quality copy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep a cheap PVC poncho in my packs in case it starts raining on me while I am out hiking.

The ones I get tend to last about 1 use before tearing. Duct tape repairs them, but they eventually have to be tossed. It is often just easier to buy a new one.

There are two issues with them. The first is that they only cover your torso. Your arms and legs will get wet. No way around that. Might be less of an issue in some respects than you might think, but you will get wet. It will keep a pack dry though, and that is a big deal. If it is cold out, being wet is miserable, and potentially fatal.

The second issue is that as others have mentioned they are really warm if it is warm out. You will seriously sweat under one unless it is fairly cool. One trick I have found helps is to ventilate by flapping my arms up and down now and then. It helps to get some fresh air under the poncho. Not perfect, but I have found it helps.

A military issue poncho is heavy and takes up a lot of space. No way it is going in my fanny pack. A disposable poncho will.

I have a polyethylene jacket i got from Walmart that is pretty waterproof and has sleeves and an elastic hood.  I have worn it under the poncho a couple times to keep my sleeves dry. Hot but works. I recently bought a cheap nylon pack cover for my pack. My next try at this is not to use a poncho at all. Just the PE jacket and the pack cover.

Legs will still get wet unless I buy something waterproof to put over them.

I don't know of anything that is waterproof that actually breathes enough not to be uncomfortably warm underneath.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top