Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 11:30:30 AM EDT
The title is the question.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Over a year with the F1.  Still using the factory edge.  I use it daily for meal prep out here in the brush.  I don't use it for bushcraft, no need to, company provides an RV.  I recommend it.  If I lost it I would replace it with another one.  

No time with the Mora.  So no impact, no idea.  Looks like a solid knife.  Find an excuse to buy both.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The title should be Fallkniven F1 or 10 Moras .  You can't lose either way, but this is ARFCOM, so get both.  

The F1 is a stronger knife--you do get what you pay for.  Moras are just great knives for the money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The title should be Fallkniven F1 or 10 Moras .  You can't lose either way, but this is ARFCOM, so get both.  

The F1 is a stronger knife--you do get what you pay for.  Moras are just great knives for the money.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Uh huh !
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I know there are alot of Fallkniven F1 fans, but I'm curious to know if any of them have compared that knife to the Cold Steel Master Hunter.  They look alot alike and seem to have the same geometry.  I know that Cold Steel isn't as hip as Fallkniven, but the old Master Hunter I have has gutted and skinned a bunch of critters from moose to squirrels (no not Rocky and Bullwinkle) and always held an edge.  Just wondering if anyone has done a comparison.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know there are alot of Fallkniven F1 fans, but I'm curious to know if any of them have compared that knife to the Cold Steel Master Hunter.  They look alot alike and seem to have the same geometry.  I know that Cold Steel isn't as hip as Fallkniven, but the old Master Hunter I have has gutted and skinned a bunch of critters from moose to squirrels (no not Rocky and Bullwinkle) and always held an edge.  Just wondering if anyone has done a comparison.
View Quote

I went and researched the F1 again last night, after reading this post.  One's looking at $110-$120 shipped and except for the fact that it's a laminated VG-10 blade, there's really nothing special about it, IMO, especially as you say, when one compares them to other knives in that size and price category.

Aesthetically, it's a very smart looking knife IMO, so maybe that's worth the price of entry for some?

Not that I'd want to do cooking/skinning chores with it, but my very first boutique knife was a Cold Steel Recon Tanto (Carbon V) factory second and I bet I could hammer it into the side of a tree and hang by it.  It was $35-$40 shipped back in the mid 90s.

We all like what we like and no excuses need be made for our liking what we like, but I'd personally want an Esee 4, or 5, for the same amount of money, but then that's just me.

Chris

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 Find an excuse to buy both.  
View Quote

Yup!

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a fewmoras but took my F1 on deployment as my long knife.

It looked real bad ass sitting in my duffel bag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not quite sure what you are trying to say.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Not to complicate matters but if you are looking at Swedish or Scandinavian knives in the F1's price range there are also a LOT of others out there to bridge that price gap.  Check out the various categories on Ragnar's Ragweed Forge site:
Knives from Norway:

Brusletto Knives
   Helle Knives
   Strömeng Knives

Knives from Sweden:

Mora knives from Eriksson and Frosts of Sweden
   Karesuando Knives
   EKA Knives

Knives from Finland:

Ahti Knives
   Järvenpää Knives
   Lapin Puukko Knives
   Roselli Knives
   Wood Jewel Knives

https://www.ragweedforge.com/

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to guess that it mostly sat in his bag while he was out and about kicking some ass?

Too short for a fighting knife maybe?

They're smart looking knives, the F1s, no doubt.  I'm tracking one on Ebay and it's at $103 shipped, with 5 hours to go.  There's a Cold Steel VG-1 San Mai III Master Hunter opening at $59 plus $16 s/h and another one that is BIN/buy it now, for $102 shipped.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm going to guess that it mostly sat in his bag while he was out and about kicking some ass?

They're smart looking knives, the F1s, no doubt.  I'm tracking one on Ebay and it's at $103 shipped, with 5 hours to go.  There's a Cold Steel VG-1 San Mai III Master Hunter opening at $59 plus $16 s/h and another one that is BIN/buy it now, for $102 shipped.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

It means I didnt do anything worth needing a knife for, hence, I didnt carry it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It means I didnt do anything worth needing a knife for, hence, I didnt carry it.
View Quote

I don't generally need a knife in my daily goings on, but I carry two of them anyway, just in case.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't generally need a knife in my daily goings on, but I carry two of them anyway, just in case.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

I have a Mora with me often, but not on my person. I use my Leatherman daily.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Find an excuse to buy both.  

Yup!

Some good lookin sheaths there. Did you make them yourself?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a Mora with me often, but not on my person. I use my Leatherman daily.
View Quote

SAK SwissChamp here, or my SuperTool v.1.

Little SAK Classic on my keychain.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Another option:

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Wow! I love it!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]
They make some nice looking knives.  I like the Dokka and Skalla folders:

http://www.helle.no/products/knives/dokka/

Chris

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:36:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Over there I had a kershaw Leek and Leatherman daily.  no need for a fixed blade.   Only reason I packed one was typical Army efficiency.  I didnt know where I was being assigned to until about two hours before the plane left the US, when the aid station called my cell phone direct to give me the gouge.  All I had up to that point was a brigade level unit assignment, without a base or location name.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Over there I had a kershaw Leek and Leatherman daily.  no need for a fixed blade.   Only reason I packed one was typical Army efficiency.  I didnt know where I was being assigned to until about two hours before the plane left the US, when the aid station called my cell phone direct to give me the gouge.  All I had up to that point was a brigade level unit assignment, without a base or location name.
View Quote

I pretty much figured that you carried something like a LM or a SAK, but you didn't seem like you wanted to share, so, I didn't pry.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#22]
+1000 for Mora.

Fallkniven look great but I won't pay over $100 for a knife when a $10 Mora will do all the same things.

In fact I won't pay over $80 for -any- knife, as I can break expensive knives just as soon as I can break cheap ones, and waiting around for a factory to replace it in a month or two isn't really worth the extra cost.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay, I use a knife a few times a day (wanna-be farmer/rancher with a wife that has a job in town, lol), fairly tough duty frequently, and what I have found over the years, is that a 3 3/4 inch blade is very handy...in a folding knife.

I see zero point in carrying a fixed blade that short. And looks a little silly in public walking around with that sheath on your hip.

My Ka-bar Mule cost me 16 bucks used off eBay, sharp as a razor and dead tough and has held up to some nasty hacking, and very handy in it's little sideways nylon sheath on my belt.

Last gun show here locally, there was a Mora dealer, and so I had to check them out as I had never held one, very nice little knives. Man told the wife she "needed" one of these for camping chores...she flicked out her Benchmade Adamas auto, which makes a nice loud clunk noise when it locks open, asked him why she would "need" that skinny little blade, lol, love that woman I tell ya, she's a lot of fun at parties.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I pretty much figured that you carried something like a LM or a SAK, but you didn't seem like you wanted to share, so, I didn't pry.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Oh, I have the gift of gab. I just didn't want to derail the thread.

Really though, I don't have any cool-guy stories, so I don't say much about the deployment.  I went over, maybe saved a few lives, helped a bunch of guys feel better/sleep better/get better working environments.  It's a job; I tried to do it well.  But I'm not some bad-ass-spec-ops-paratrooper-Ranger!-SEAL-sniper-CIA type, so most people don't care much other than "that's great, thanks for your service."
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:43:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They make some nice looking knives.  I like the Dokka and Skalla folders:

http://helle.no/media/2012/07/dokka.jpg

http://helle.no/media/2012/11/Skala.jpg

http://www.helle.no/products/knives/dokka/

Chris

View Quote
helle make some nice stuff

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gratzi.  Did all the kydex and leather pictured.  The Fallkniven sheath is kinda my pride and joy.  The Mora sheaths were basically done pretty much because those knives needed better sheaths than what came with them.  My favorite Mora setup is actually a 510 (discontinued) in its factory sheath hung around the neck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
+1000 for Mora.

Fallkniven look great but I won't pay over $100 for a knife when a $10 Mora will do all the same things.

In fact I won't pay over $80 for -any- knife, as I can break expensive knives just as soon as I can break cheap ones, and waiting around for a factory to replace it in a month or two isn't really worth the extra cost.
View Quote

+1.  If I were to ever buy a "high end" blade I am pretty sure 100$ to my door is just about MY limit!  

Until then a good ole Mora #2 and carbon companion will do.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1.  If I were to ever buy a "high end" blade I am pretty sure 100$ to my door is just about MY limit!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1000 for Mora.

Just picked up the above model for <$97 shipped from Knife Connection.

Next to my Cold Steel Recon Tanto, it's my only fixed blade knife and it looks pretty nifty (gaudy,) although the colors in the picture are a bit exaggerated.  The green is closer to the flesh in a typical avocado, or a lime.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.survivalknives.com/imgs/brands/esee-knives/esee-4/esee-4p-vg.jpg

Next to my Cold Steel Recon Tanto, it's my only fixed blade knife and it looks pretty nifty (gaudy,) although the colors in the picture are a bit exaggerated.  The green is closer to the flesh in a typical avocado, or a lime.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1000 for Mora.

Chris

You won't loose that one when you set it down!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1000 for Mora.

Chris

Is that the Offiical knife of San Francisco ??
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#32]
As I mentioned above, it's actually less vibrant in person than in that photo, but for a bushcraft/wilderness type doohickey, you're not going to lose it in the tall grass, as you might with a black bladed, or darker handled knife.

And if I get any more 'zombie' gear, like the Z-Max bullets from Hornady, or the Gerber Zombie blade kit, I'll be color coordinated!

Chris
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gratzi.  Did all the kydex and leather pictured.  The Fallkniven sheath is kinda my pride and joy.  The Mora sheaths were basically done pretty much because those knives needed better sheaths than what came with them.  My favorite Mora setup is actually a 510 (discontinued) in its factory sheath hung around the neck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I really liked the 510 model, and I only have one.  I did however get a bunch of 511's on sale and Dremel'd off the finger guard...bingo! Red handled 510's

I have a few Fallkniven knives and they are well designed and can take abuse.  My favorite is actually the smaller WM1, but even if you decided on the F1, it would be no penalty weight to toss a Mora as a backup in the bottom of your pack.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top