Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 9:30:33 AM EDT
I was thinking that a .410 revolver would be decent for hunting rabbits, other ground small game and possibly for flares.  I have never seen a .410 flare but someone must make one..  Being a light weight revolver it wouldn't take up much room in the bag and work for self defense also.  What do you guys think?  I would rather a multi-use item than just a flare gun.

Also with the 45 acp, 45LC, and .22lr adapters it give the tool other uses.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you buy one, make sure to see how it patterns. Firing shot through a rifled barrel tends to make a doughnut shaped pattern.

.22LR adapters do make them more useful.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking similarly.  The .410/45/22 gives it great versatility.  I'd also like to run a suppressor.  45 Colt cowboy loads and 45acp inserts would be great.  I was thinking about the Rossi Single Shot 45 pistol.  

Rossi

Since it has a screw in choke for the .410, are you aware of a removal threading feature that could use this choke set up?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
if you go with one from the Brazilian manufacturer, shoot it first with .45LC.... I have a pretty fair competency with a handgun (USPSA Limited Master)... a friend invited me to a dealer's shoot several years ago, and one of the early models was there... at 10y I was not able to put the shots on the target as a whole, no less the bullseye...
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a long barreled Taurus Judge in for testing to see if it would be useful as a small game gun using .410 shotshells.
I was hoping to be able to use it for bunnies, squirrels  and the like.

No go.
The patterns are terrible past  a couple yards.
Only thing it was decent at was shooting snakes in the barn....

It is big and heavy, patterns awful and pretty useless........
If you registered it as a short barrel shotgun and installed an honest shotgun barrel
with a choke, then things could be very different.
But
On the flip side I took a 26.5mm flare gun and got a .410 adapter and
I found one .410 shotshell load which patterned well enough to use
on small game at very short range.

The Rossi with the choke tube looks interesting.....I wonder what thread they use.......
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend has a .410 handgun, you might as well have a long stick for getting rabbits, your pattern and reach will be roughly the same.

Also, do you really need flares for a BOB?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both the Judge and Governor. I have had zero issues with patterning of either. I have shot everything from birdshot, buckshot, 45LC and slugs. As a matter of fact, I keep it on hand when I am up north working on the cabin as I have had a squirrel issue (chewing on my outhouse). I have smoked just over 40 squirrels, 10 partridge and numerous other critters with the .410. Most of which were taken right off the porch at 15 to 20 yds. My buckshot when I last papered it was all in 10in circle at 18 yds. At 7 yds it will put a fist size hole through the paper. It will get the job done if needed. You just have to be honest and understand that a .410 with 2in barrel isn't going to reach out and touch. It's a close engagement weapon.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A friend has a .410 handgun, you might as well have a long stick for getting rabbits, your pattern and reach will be roughly the same.

Also, do you really need flares for a BOB?
View Quote

This is my opinion with a sample of two. It is good to hear that UPbear is having better luck with his.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
american specialty 410 ammo doesn't have flares, but has some other stuff like dragons breath and such...

To answer the question of a 410 for scattergun, I'd rather just have a solid gun I can shoot well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#9]
410 revolvers, AKA 'da judge' : pretty much worthless POS IME.

Novelty firearm at best.

A single shot shotgun, 18.5" barrel with choke tubes would be much better if you feel the need to carry a shotgun

dump the single shot for a 870 if you are worried about bears.

20g has an advantage with lighter ammo and lighter guns by a bit,  but 12g shells are more available.

.22 rifle with low power scope trumps pretty much everything for wilderness survival use IMO.  

If your target is not sitting still, you shouldn't be wasting ammo on it, so trying to take game on the run or wing is a big no-no IMO.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll say right off the bat I'm not a Taurus fan. That being said hickok45 did a good video on the judge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0

Personally I'd rather carry my S&W K-22 for hunting small game.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Taurus ultralight judge I carry hiking/camping/canoeing etc. It is light and very resistant to corrosion. I carry a  winchester pdx-1 shells in it and some 45lc and birdshot in the pack that I can switch it out with. I don't have a 22 adapter but I'm not sure how accurate that would be. I like the gun a lot and it definitely serves its  purpose.

Forgot to add I also carry it bow hunting loaded with 45lc just in case I stumble on the wrong side of a predator in the dark. The weight is really where the ultralight shines
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If you buy one... I'd go with a S&W Gov.

Only way to go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Not for me.

If its truly for game (flares aside), I'd rather roll with something in .22.

If its for your bob and is doubling for protection, definitely want something that reaches out more.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a long barreled Taurus Judge in for testing to see if it would be useful as a small game gun using .410 shotshells.
I was hoping to be able to use it for bunnies, squirrels  and the like.

No go.
The patterns are terrible past  a couple yards.
Only thing it was decent at was shooting snakes in the barn....

It is big and heavy, patterns awful and pretty useless........
If you registered it as a short barrel shotgun and installed an honest shotgun barrel
with a choke, then things could be very different.
But
On the flip side I took a 26.5mm flare gun and got a .410 adapter and
I found one .410 shotshell load which patterned well enough to use
on small game at very short range.

The Rossi with the choke tube looks interesting.....I wonder what thread they use.......
View Quote

I have a .45lc/.410 sub caliber insert for my 26.5mm flare launcher, and while it's a lot of fun to pop off rounds with, I haven't had good luck with the accuracy.  At 8 yards, it might kill what your shooting at with shotshells (if it's small enough), but with the .slugs and .45lc ammo it's hitting nowhere near where I'm aiming at, and it is keyholing when it does strike paper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I would rather have the S&W but my plan was a LW model with 4-5" barrel.  Is it true that they use straight "rifling" to get around the rule?  This will not be my only firearm, just a multi use backup.  I would rather have a lever .22 rifle for survival with me but a Judge is much more compact.  In a SHTF situation I think just having a gun will accomplish a lot of what you need a gun for.  I would think most trouble would walk away once they realize you are armed and not an easy target.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I think they use paradox rifleing to get around the smoothbore pistol thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top