Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 7:02:07 AM EDT
Deciding on a BOB/Get home pack.  Unfortunately for me, work is an hours drive away, so get home bag BOB probably falls into the same category - I could have a good 3 day + walk home.

A few schools of thought.  Low profile, more civilian looking to blend in.  A camouflage pack, perhaps with spare BDUs to blend into the environment.  Both offer advantages.  Looking like the prepped guy will make me a target, for someone wanting my supplies.  Trying to look like an average Joe trying to get home may help fly under the radar.  On the other hand, a lone guy with a pack might be a target no matter what, and trekking in camo can help avoid detection.  For me, the travel will be at least 95% rural.

I like the packs with MOLLE, for the flexibility they offer.  The single color like OD or FDE already have a military look to them, at least to me.  What's the group think on it?  Searched and didn't see a thread.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd stick with just a solid color earth tone (black, brown, green). I'd also stay away from the molle, unless you have something super useful and common (not going to give away the fact that its a BOB) to attach to it then its impractical.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Single color, no molle.
I use OD medium Alice. I probably won't be camo if I need it, unless I was hunting. Keep some camo net inside, you can deploy it if need be.
My .02.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
OK.  A bit surprised by the zero votes for camo.  My thought was that a lone guy might be a target no matter what, if things got bad criminals do hang out in groups and avoiding people altogether would be best .  But I have to admit in my prior area, it would take a lot for me to leave my setup and didn't put much thought into BO.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
for me: BOB =/= GHB

civie get home, molle military BOB
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy whatever bag works best for you, and forget about if it's "military" colored or has molle on it. Every hipster and his mother is carrying around some type of 'military" style bag these days, it wouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you join the military they'll give you a pack for FREE.

If you work your way into a tactical unit, they'll give you a tactical pack or FREE.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I never understood the whole camo backpack will make me a target mindset. If the SHTF anyone walking with a full backpack is going to be a target. I would rather have something that will blend into the environment if I'm trying to hide. My GHB is a Molle II assault pack in woodland camo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you join the military they'll give you a pack for FREE.

If you work your way into a tactical unit, they'll give you a tactical pack or FREE.
View Quote

LOL.  I'm way too old to play that game!  
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Work is an hour's drive away, so I'll be walking multiple days.  In my case I think they may as well be the same.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd buy whatever bag works best for you, and forget about if it's "military" colored or has molle on it. Every hipster and his mother is carrying around some type of 'military" style bag these days, it wouldn't matter.
View Quote

This. In my neck of the woods if it isn't Camo it would likely stand out.
If you have a pack on your back everyone presumes you have stuff in it anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I vote single color OD or tan. The best compromised between camo and a color that blends into the landscape. I am assuming in North America. In Europe there are much more orangy and yellowish colors outdoors.

Quoted:

Work is an hour's drive away, so I'll be walking multiple days.  In my case I think they may as well be the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you thought about a folding bicycle to get home faster?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Guess I should have said where.  Central Texas.  Camo doesn't stick out that much.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Kelty Strike in CB.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Molle draws attention.

I don't want any attention.

I have FDE color with no molle. (old style becker patrol that looks like this one)

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
The camo/ solid color can be argued over and over again. To me what ever you can get. I would say I would stick to solid colors if mostly in urban environment. Being on the open road, to me each one has valid points.

As for Molle, I wouldn't. No point for extra unused weight. Heck on some back ive seen a difference of 1lb between it being molle/ non molle.

If it was a SHTF and you need to get home the last thing I would do is taking main roads. Id rather take any available water ways first and take farm roads/dirt roads that are fare enough from the main used road to observe and able to be unseen.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting subject... Personally I think looking prepared would make you less of a target... Desperate people are going to take the path of least resistance... Put your self in the position of someone trying to steal from someone else... Are you going to try and take something from someone who appears to have his shit together, possibly ex mill, or appears to be armed? or the guy who is toting the pink north face bag with flip flops on.... Then again, who is more likely to have the better gear.. I can see valid points for both sides of the argument... I
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#17]
If you have to traverse about 95% rural as you say I would roll with some sort of camou and stay off of the road when at all possible.  OP you also mention 3 plus days to accomplish this so remember you will need to get some rest and having the ability to camou up is like being out of sight and outta mind IMHO.  Nothing wrong with MOLLE gear if it is what you want.  You need to decide on a color or camou pattern for YOUR AO and roll with it brother.    I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you have to traverse about 95% rural as you say I would roll with some sort of camou and stay off of the road when at all possible.  OP you also mention 3 plus days to accomplish this so remember you will need to get some rest and having the ability to camou up is like being out of sight and outta mind IMHO.  Nothing wrong with MOLLE gear if it is what you want.  You need to decide on a color or camou pattern for YOUR AO and roll with it brother.    I hope this helps.
View Quote

And very sparsely rural at that.  Yeah, I agree that staying off the road when possible will be the best bet, and I need shelter.  I haven't decided between a backpacking tent or bivvy bag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I voted single color molle. If you're needing to camo it you can always stick some grass in the molle webbing.

My BOB is just a tan/brown. More of a light brown but it's not well prepared at all anyway. Just a few pills, some fire stuff, fishing kit, changes of clothes and that it's. In the process of getting it all together though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I voted civilian, but no matter what anything that is larger than a regular school type pack will gather attention.  I figure if I'm hoofing it things are not good, and I'm in semi-evade mode. I'm not wanting to stand out.
I don't bug out, but getting home to my family would be everything.
I have a jumbo versa pack type s(lefty) in black and forest green. Not a large pack, not a foot square even. But the important stuff is in there, and probably some stuff that would get left in the car/dumped on the way because it is mostly in murse mode until something happens.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#23]

That's nice
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:43:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Deciding on a BOB/Get home pack.  Unfortunately for me, work is an hours drive away, so get home bag BOB probably falls into the same category - I could have a good 3 day + walk home.

A few schools of thought.  Low profile, more civilian looking to blend in.  A camouflage pack, perhaps with spare BDUs to blend into the environment.  Both offer advantages.  Looking like the prepped guy will make me a target, for someone wanting my supplies.  Trying to look like an average Joe trying to get home may help fly under the radar.  On the other hand, a lone guy with a pack might be a target no matter what, and trekking in camo can help avoid detection.  For me, the travel will be at least 95% rural.

I like the packs with MOLLE, for the flexibility they offer.  The single color like OD or FDE already have a military look to them, at least to me.  What's the group think on it?  Searched and didn't see a thread.

View Quote

At that distance, you should focus on not having to be separated from your vehicle.  Perhaps store a bike if you have space and money for it.

Then, get a resilient bag of normal look, put some basics in it, and have a variety of tools and assets in the vehicle to load up on depending on the need and season.

Don't underestimate how far a couple hundred in cash can get you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's nice
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's nice

Botach had them on clearance a few years ago for an insanely cheap price, I think it was $50.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#26]
We have had more than a few get home bag discussions and I never have really seen one answer come close to fitting even half the folks in the discussion.

I consider an alice pack or other surplus pack to be somewhat low profile since lots of college kids have them and lots of other folks around here have them.  Depending on how extreme you get the smaller stuff with molle loops is somewhat common as well.  Get some monster thing and yeah you stand out.

The quicky camoflauge for anything is a garbage bag cover, or be spiffy and quiet and make something from water proof cloth to go over your bag.  You can now camoflauge your camo.

One thing I noticed last night messing around in my truck and its bed box is that I have options if I find myself in a city or something.  I have the truck filled with all sorts of odds and ends, the goal would be to fix the truck and go home.  So if I have to walk somewhere some stuff will be left in the truck.

Using various bags gives options.

I am currently locking up and leaving some stuff in the bed box or truck so rather than have something more expensive I am going with medium alice pack since I have modified straps and what not running around for it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Too poor for a multitude of bags.  

But I think I'll have to separate the GHB/BOB.  Since I have a family, and the little ones are too small to carry much, I'll be the pack mule.  The BOB will be bigger than GHB.  Either that, or the GHB is gonna be a bit on the large side.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#28]

I bought four of those on ebay for $50 each  Great pack currently using one for school.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#29]
The only people that are going to take extra notice of pals webbing are the people familiar with it IMO.

Now obviously if you have something like a ILBE it'll draw a little more, same goes with large hiking packs. I feel that a reasonably sized pack with pals all over is going to draw a whole lot less attention then a large backpacking bag to your average person. Guess as mentioned this has to do with your location as well.

Also, guy who said "molle draws attention, I don't want attention" you have like 8 individual pockets on your bag, I feel like that is a little more eye catching then someone with some webbing strung across their backpack.

I vote solid color with pals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top