Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2013 8:26:53 PM EDT
I am looking to obtain a good set of 2-3 two way radios with good battery life, mid price range ($100-200) , large range coverage ....etc

I remember having a few sets as a kid we would take to the mountains while skiing , as long as both persons where on the same side of the mountain conversation was good/decent . I am looking to get a set to use while hunting / shtf / bailout

Things i have considered but would like your input on would be :

Brand / Model you have used / like / recommend ?

AA / AAA battery or rechargeable battery cell? In a shtf situation with out a reliable source of power i am guessing a replaceable battery version is better? no?

Channels / privacy channels?

Really anything you see as a benefit from model to model
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
you really have three choices here.

1. cellular. if where you are going there is coverage it will work far better than any 2 way radio.

2. frs/gmrs. they are cheap. there is little difference between the performance of the cheapest ones versus the more expensive ones. range is a lot more limited than the wildly optimistic claims on the packages.

3. ham radio gives you the most options in 2 way radios. but it is a little more involved than going to walmart and grabbing a blister pack off the shelf, and has a lot of other limits that are not real obvious. one being how few people actually have them.

My suggestion is to give serious thought first to what it is that you really want to do. I do not know if there is a really good answer to this question that does not involve serious thought first as to just what you really expect to get out of your 2 way radios.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
IBETYTHYHL

(In before everyone tells you to get your ham license)
MURS is another choice if you are in a rural area.  My understanding is that they are used quite a bit in many cities, but where I live I am the only one who uses them.  They tend to be higher quality radios than FRS, and I believe you can upgrade the antenna which you are not supposed to be able to do with the FRS ones.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am looking to obtain a good set of 2-3 two way radios with good battery life, mid price range ($100-200) , large range coverage ....etc

I remember having a few sets as a kid we would take to the mountains while skiing , as long as both persons where on the same side of the mountain conversation was good/decent . I am looking to get a set to use while hunting / shtf / bailout

Things i have considered but would like your input on would be :

Brand / Model you have used / like / recommend ?

AA / AAA battery or rechargeable battery cell? In a shtf situation with out a reliable source of power i am guessing a replaceable battery version is better? no?

Channels / privacy channels?

Really anything you see as a benefit from model to model
View Quote

This is not possible unless you are using a repeater system (GMRS or HAM) or using HF (again HAM radio)...

The more you research the more you will find its not as easy as buying a bubble pack radio...  For short range comms any hand held will do, but once you start talking "miles" that does not include mountain top to mountain top you are talking about repeaters or other modes of comm like HF known as low band in the public safety sector at which point you are talking about $1000+ no longer in you $100ish budget...
Kind of like saying I want to snipe some one 5~10 miles away with my 223....  Well you might have better luck with a 50bmg but still a pretty tough proposition and you need to be highly trained to do so...  Arm chair Joe isn't going to be getting that done any time soon...
Ham isn't for every one but is an option worth looking into for longer range different modes of comm.
MURS is a great option for rural short range comms...
GMRS can be a great option as well for short range comms and even better for long range if there is already a repeater in your AO...  (you might have to make contact with the owner and provide a dontation for use of his repeater...)

thederrick106 & themisses106 are both hams.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/646491_the_CAN_T_FAIL_thread_for_getting_a_ham_radio_license_and_learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations.html

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I imagined i would get alot of HAM radio responses ..... I do not have the time to learn / money to spend / time to get license for a ham radio right now.

The hunting ranch / shtf location is in the middle of no where south texas panhandle 1mile x 1mile or section of land  .... cell coverage sucks out there .

Im not looking for anything currently that will reach out past a mile ( maybe in the near future i will look into ham radios , just cant justify it right now)

just need coms for me and another person at the main house / hunting blind to hunting blind

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Licensing and studying is free.  You can study and pass th tech exam in a week or so and get a Chinese radio for $30-40.  Too much time and money?  The bar really isn't that high and it's a big return.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Licensing and studying is free.  You can study and pass th tech exam in a week or so and get a Chinese radio for $30-40.  Too much time and money?  The bar really isn't that high and it's a big return.
View Quote

Thanks for the input, i will look into the Ham radio more .... i havent researched it with the understanding it was pricey and had to get a license
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going to echo what a few in this thread have already stated. Put a few hours of time into getting your Tech license and buy an entry level handheld transceiver for 30-50 bucks a piece. Here is the same free study guide I used to get my ticket  -

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010_Tech_Study_Guide.pdf

Also, there is a test bank of the actual questions floating around on the aarl.org website, but I suggest you take a look at the link that I posted above and do some research on your own to gain a bit more knowledge before taking the test.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am going to echo what a few in this thread have already stated. Put a few hours of time into getting your Tech license and buy an entry level handheld transceiver for 30-50 bucks a piece. Here is the same free study guide I used to get my ticket  -

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010_Tech_Study_Guide.pdf

Also, there is a test bank of the actual questions floating around on the aarl.org website, but I suggest you take a look at the link that I posted above and do some research on your own to gain a bit more knowledge before taking the test.
View Quote

Great study guides.  I used his to help study tech and general and AD7FO's for extra.

OP, see also http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1488810_Got_45_bucks__You_can_afford_to_own_a_ham_radio_.html on Baofeng UV-B5 and other models of cheap HTs (walkie-talkies).

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]
we've had over 50 Arfcomer's study, test and pass this year-you could be next?

That said, I'll echo, it ain't for everybody-and I'm not gonna try to convice you.

Look at MURS, Dakota Alert will provide you with remote alerts (driveway, etc...) and pretty solid walkie-talkies.

MURS will allow an antenna up 60' above the ground, and a couple of watts to boot.  The  external antenna will nake the difference

Search "MURS J-Pole" on ebay for a good alternate base antenna by Ed Fong; or Google  search "Centerfire Antenna" for their version.
good luck in whatever path you choose.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/349137__ARCHIVED_THREAD____COMMO.html&page=1#i3170284
The specific radio suggestions are out of date.

ETA
Quoted:
I imagined i would get alot of HAM radio responses ..... I do not have the time to learn / money to spend / time to get license for a ham radio right now.

The hunting ranch / shtf location is in the middle of no where south texas panhandle 1mile x 1mile or section of land  .... cell coverage sucks out there .

Im not looking for anything currently that will reach out past a mile ( maybe in the near future i will look into ham radios , just cant justify it right now)

just need coms for me and another person at the main house / hunting blind to hunting blind
View Quote

You don't need an amateur license or the amateur service to fit your needs.

What I'd suggest is a couple of Baofeng UV-6 radios along with a suitable programming cable (we'll find a decent one for you) and set them up on the no-license-required MURS frequencies.  They should readily fulfill your needs.  Some kind soul from the ham forum could probably be convinced to write the programming file for you, then you'd just have to flash it to the radios.  The UV-6 models run about $50 IIRC.

The UV-B5 and UV-B6 model radios are less expensive and do a lot more, but their  much more complex feature set would be a disadvantage for your application.

In the future if you decide to expand your skillset and get the entry level amateur license, you'd have access to more frequencies and probably some local repeaters, which would give you more contact options in case of a problem or whatever.  Communications are only as helpful as whoever is available at the other end of the radio.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you want to you can do it. decent radios can be had for 60-100 each. I studied less than 2 hours a day for about 3 days and passed the test that weekend. The min Tech license is EASY

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes,

Get a baofeng radio...I have the uv-5r...actually about 20 or so here on the farm...

You can program for murs...some say it's not type accepted...Im not sure on that one, but being out in the wild I'm sure you'd not have any issues...

Last look they were running like 50-55$ each, with charging stand...

Nice little radios...I've only had one issue with all mine...it was just a backlite quit...doa...

I'm sure you can learn the radio software for programming...get the 20$ programming cable...and program yourself...

Or anyone in your area that's into radios will most likely either have the cable/software or know who does...

Btw.. The software from baofeng sucks...so does thier manuals...bad babel fish translations...

There is a free software called chirp, that's what I use, and better manuals as well...

I actually wrote my own condensed manual for my place, and features we use here...just about everyone is a ham operator anyhow here...

Goto the ham forum, you'll get all the help you'll ever need...

B
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes,

Get a baofeng radio...I have the uv-5r...actually about 20 or so here on the farm...

You can program for murs...some say it's not type accepted...Im not sure on that one, but being out in the wild I'm sure you'd not have any issues...

Nice little radios...I've only had one issue with all mine...it was just a backlite quit...doa...

I'm sure you can learn the radio software for programming...get the 20$ programming cable...and program yourself...

Or anyone in your area that's into radios will most likely either have the cable/software or know who does...

Btw.. The software from baofeng sucks...so does thier manuals...bad babel fish translations...

There is a free software called chirp, that's what I use, and better manuals as well...

I actually wrote my own condensed manual for my place, and features we use here...just about everyone is a ham operator anyhow here...

B
View Quote

This. We are getting the 5R's from 3 Old Crows for $42 each.

John

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

John

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes,

B

John

$30 on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MAKWC0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21EXXUM8YC0KM&coliid=I1ESFL1Q0RC0H3

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes,

B

John

$30 on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MAKWC0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21EXXUM8YC0KM&coliid=I1ESFL1Q0RC0H3

Wow!

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#16]
The common and ham-popular Baofeng UV-5R, UV-B5 and UV-B6 models are rather complicated to set up and operate for someone who isn't knowledgeable about radio.  Hence my recommendation for the UV-6, or else something like the Wouxun KG-UVA1 or a similar simplified model.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I just got my license and it was worth it.  I also studied for about six hours and took a few sample tests.  Aced the Tech the first time.  Having your license doe NOT give others on the ranch the legal authority to transmit, though -- only you.  Each person would need to get their own license.

I never advocate doing anything illegal, but I do subscribe to don't ask, don't tell.  As long as you're not being an a-hole on the air and stay out of the ham bands, I doubt anyone will care.

ETA:  To answer your question, I have the Baofeng UV-5R Plus and it's more than I expected.  Just using the rubber ducky I can hit repeaters that are up to 12 miles away in hilly, wooded terrain.  I haven't tried HT-to-HT yet, so I can't say what range you'd get, but I'm guessing it would be more than a mile easy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll go against the grain here. If you want short range, cheap, radios that work, my deer hunting partners and I use Midland GXT FRS radios at deer camp, when doing deer drives etc. The several year old models we have, claim 22 miles range. As has been said and I readily agree, that's total BS.... but we do get a legitimate 1-2 miles in very dense woods, with very clear signals, without fail (more in clear farmland). We got 6 radios, with earplugs/microphones, for about $80 (IIRC, $26-27 per pair?) at Sportsmans Guide. They each use 4 AA alkaline batteries (one set lasts us about a week in the cold, and we each carry a spare set in a pocket) and can tune in NOAA weather channels too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll go against the grain here. If you want short range, cheap, radios that work, my deer hunting partners and I use Midland GXT FRS radios at deer camp, when doing deer drives etc. The several year old models we have, claim 22 miles range. As has been said and I readily agree, that's total BS.... but we do get a legitimate 1-2 miles in very dense woods, with very clear signals, without fail (more in clear farmland). We got 6 radios, with earplugs/microphones, for about $80 (IIRC, $26-27 per pair?) at Sportsmans Guide. They each use 4 AA alkaline batteries (one set lasts us about a week in the cold, and we each carry a spare set in a pocket) and can tune in NOAA weather channels too.
View Quote

What 45colt said /\.  If you are only talking about a mile section,  the FRS radios should be fine.  I have a set of older Cobras and a newer set of the Midlands and they work good for hunting on our lease.  A buddy of mine and I talked right at 4 miles on a clear day and over 2 miles in a wooded area.  The 36 mile claim is BS,  maybe if you were talking mountain to mountain.  It seems some radios are better than others.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all of the replies , it looks like i need to do a little more studying . I think for all practical purposes i am going to invest in a few "walkie talkies" for now and look into ham's

in a shtf scenario can they not locate you using ham radios via triangulation ?

anyhow ill get over to the ham section to get more of my questions answered . Thanks for the info gentlemen
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the replies , it looks like i need to do a little more studying . I think for all practical purposes i am going to invest in a few "walkie talkies" for now and look into ham's

in a shtf scenario can they not locate you using ham radios via triangulation
?

anyhow ill get over to the ham section to get more of my questions answered . Thanks for the info gentlemen
View Quote

SHTF or not....they can find you
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

in a shtf scenario can they not locate you using ham radios via triangulation ?

View Quote

Since 2001, all ham radios contain a special GPS chip that transmits the radio's location on an encrypted, hidden sub frequency.  I know it's true because McGee on NCIS accidentally let the secret out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Three prc-127's with aa clamshell program to MURS
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in a shtf scenario can they not locate you using ham radios via triangulation
?

Triangulation is easy with 3 (or more) receivers, with directional antennas and signal strength meters. I used to do that all the time with my CB radio base station and a directional "beam" antenna, along with two others equipped similarly. We could determine a transmitter's location to within 100yds or so, with our "crude for the purpose" equipment. This was long before shit like GPS was available.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm pleased with my Standard Horizon 370's.

My only problem is I want to get a better antenna. On flat/slightly rolling terrain they are great. Get up and down in the mountains it could use a little help. I was staying at the cabin and my brother was 3 miles away, he could hear me but I couldn't make him out. This is in very hilly terrain.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My only problem is I want to get a better antenna. On flat/slightly rolling terrain they are great. Get up and down in the mountains it could use a little help. I was staying at the cabin and my brother was 3 miles away, he could hear me but I couldn't make him out. This is in very hilly terrain.
View Quote

That's probably just physics.

Vertex has a ~6" "cut to frequency" antenna which would probably help you a little especially if you're using amateur frequencies.  IIRC the part number is ATV-6XL, and IIRC it should fit the HX370.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Vertex has a ~6" "cut to frequency" antenna which would probably help you a little especially if you're using amateur frequencies.  IIRC the part number is ATV-6XL, and IIRC it should fit the HX370.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank You!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't want to jack the thread but this falls in line with what I am trying to find. I have my Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit. I have to have it for flying. Does that cover me for anything on the ground, like for ham or whatnot? Also, I'm looking for radios like the op is. To clarify further though I'm looking for radios such as a Saber or Icom. I guess it would be a considered intersquad radio. What specifically is out there that I could use with my Peltor or MSA Sordin comms headsets that wouldn't break the bank? Have those been talked about already? The PRC connector I have from MSA is this one pictured.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't want to jack the thread but this falls in line with what I am trying to find. I have my Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit. I have to have it for flying. Does that cover me for anything on the ground, like for ham or whatnot? Also, I'm looking for radios like the op is. To clarify further though I'm looking for radios such as a Saber or Icom. I guess it would be a considered intersquad radio. What specifically is out there that I could use with my Peltor or MSA Sordin comms headsets that wouldn't break the bank? Have those been talked about already? The PRC connector I have from MSA is this one pictured.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/lifeguardhall/PRC_zps803dadf0.jpg
View Quote

Your permit would not cover you for ham or gmrs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I had interest in getting several handheld radios about a year ago and ended up going through a bit of transition in terms of my thoughts on the matter.

-I was dead set against getting my ham license in spite of my father trying to convince me to do so for the past 30+ years.  
-I did not want to spend a fortune.
-It had to be easy enough for my wife to use.

Here is a photo that shows my progression, in one year, from top to bottom:

Bottom line:  spend the three hours, online, and study for the free ham test.  You'll easily pass your technician license and be all set for under $100 (for two radios) on the low end of the scale.

Sure, you can buy the bubble pack from your local store, but the results fall well short of what they claim the range will be.

Alternatively, get some of the (now defunct) Motorola/Nextel phones and you would be good for about 1-2 miles (the middle set in the photo). - they do not require a service plan to use the radio feature.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/lifeguardhall/PRC_zps803dadf0.jpg

So any suggestions on handhelds that would work well with my Peltors or Sordins? I'm not looking for radios that will transmit 10 miles. Mainly intersquad radios like I mentioned before. It would be nice to later be able to have a base station that could reach out to those radios.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

In addition to the other comments on "Get your ham ticket" I'd like to add that if you don't mind spending some $$$ you can put a GMRS repeater at the house and buy 2 GMRS radios for your hunters.  Problem solved.

Oh yeah, GMRS license, $85 covers the entire family that lives with you.  No studying, etc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes,

B

John

$30 on amazon...

What is the difference between the 5R and the 5RA? That is a somke'n price you posted there! That set with cable and mike is nice too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So any suggestions on handhelds that would work well with my Peltors or Sordins?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So any suggestions on handhelds that would work well with my Peltors or Sordins?

The radio almost doesn't matter, you just have to get the correct plug/adapter for the radio.

I'm not looking for radios that will transmit 10 miles.

Good, because no radio can break the laws of physics.

Mainly intersquad radios like I mentioned before. It would be nice to later be able to have a base station that could reach out to those radios.

Certainly could do that in the amateur service if everyone had amateur licenses, if the usage is not appropriate for the amateur service or you don't get amateur licenses you could do licensed GMRS or LMR frequency.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What is the difference between the 5R and the 5RA? That is a somke'n price you posted there! That set with cable and mike is nice too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes,

B

John

$30 on amazon...

The only difference in the 5R anything is cosmetic...just plastic...as long as its new stock should be the same guts...

Bret

P.s.  some are sold with more accessories like earpiece and/or speaker mic and/or large battery...FYI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top