Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am thinking about the bushnell TRS 25 for this rifle. Thoughts?
View Quote

I think that this would work. I like mine on my 10/22 Tactical, YMMV on a lighter/smaller shooting platform..
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I am thinking about the bushnell TRS 25 for this rifle. Thoughts?
View Quote

It would probably be perfect. I have three of them. One is on a SAR-1 AK on an Ultimak, one is on a 1943 Underwood M1 Carbine on an Ultimak, and the third is on my Ruger 22/45 Lite. The TRS-25 is small and light, so it wouldn't spoil the balance of the little Chiappa.

See if you can find a space on the rifle to stash a spare battery or two. Once I left the sight on the Ruger on after playing with it at home. When I got the range a day or two later it was dead and I didn't have a spare.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I bought one!!!!!

I paid $175 plus tax. I put some Wolf MT through it today and have some observations.

The sights are pretty crude to a guy used to Tech Sights. The front sight is very thick and the top corner facing the shooter was not a crisp clean corner, but an unevenly rounded point. The sight was also slightly tilted to the right. I loosened the set screw and tilted it back to as straight as I could, but the tiny set screw holding the sight stripped under very light torque. I drilled it out and tapped it for 6-32. I cut a sharp point on the set screw so it would partially fit back into the hole provided in the barrel. Problem solved much better than new.

I didn't notice the rear sight was loose until I had fired a few dozen rounds. I had to disassemble the rear sight to tighten the single screw that holds it.  Careful. The detent for the windage knob is super tiny. There is a spring under the sight that is pretty small too. Once tightened it did not come loose again.

The wide sight had to go. I used a file to make the sight almost half the width it was and I want to make it a little thinner yet. I will post pictures once I have it finished. I cleaned it up so the corner is nice and sharp too.
The rifle is showing very high accuracy potential. I put several shots touching over and over. I did have several issues that made really tight 5 shot groups problematic.

One: the rear sight is not a terribly solid unit. The small spring under the sight holds the sight up against the slop in the screw that holds the sight. I am going to have to come up with a way to make the sight a little more solid. I might try wedging something under the sight to make it a little less wiggly. I'll work it out soon.

Second: the glare off the rear sight was pretty intense this evening. Pretty hard to make sure you are really lined up with so much shiny. I might try to file it a bit to make it less shiny.

Third: Zero for Wolf MT is between the last two notches. I am going to drill a new hole so it will have a click right at my 50 yard setting once I finalize my sight in at 50.
All this typing and I haven't gotten to the good part. I was consistently putting shots on top of shots and the wild swings in the groups got better as I worked through the bugs. The rifle looks to be stone dead accurate. When the sights were working it pretty much stacked shots at 25 yards. I just had issues keeping the groups in the same spot. The sights are too toyish, but I am working it out.

This rifle needs a red dot to be more affective in low light levels or darkness. It think it will really shine once it's got a better sight.

I really like this little rifle. A few improvements and it will be a awesome accurate reliable little game getter.
View Quote
I got mine as well.  It seems to be considerably more accurate than my Walther G22.

Like yours, the front site is canted to the right, causing me to run the rear sights all the way to the right to get close to zero. (It's still shooting a bit left.) I haven't worked on the sites much beyond that.

I am probably going to take the red dot off my Walther and use it on the Badger.  

The rest of it was pretty fun and it worked like a champ.

The only thing I was disappointed in is the barrel threading appeared not to have been cleaned at all once the threads were put on, so there's shreds of metal and grease under the protector.

This little rifle is definitely going in my trunk kit.

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got mine as well.  It seems to be considerably more accurate than my Walther G22.  

Like yours, the front site is canted to the right, causing me to run the rear sights all the way to the right to get close to zero. (It's still shooting a bit left.) I haven't worked on the sites much beyond that.

I am probably going to take the red dot off my Walther and use it on the Badger.  

The only thing I was disappointed in is the barrel threading appeared not to have been cleaned at all once the threads were put on, so there's shreds of metal and grease under the protector.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought one!!!!!

I paid $175 plus tax. I put some Wolf MT through it today and have some observations.

The sights are pretty crude to a guy used to Tech Sights. The front sight is very thick and the top corner facing the shooter was not a crisp clean corner, but an unevenly rounded point. The sight was also slightly tilted to the right. I loosened the set screw and tilted it back to as straight as I could, but the tiny set screw holding the sight stripped under very light torque. I drilled it out and tapped it for 6-32. I cut a sharp point on the set screw so it would partially fit back into the hole provided in the barrel. Problem solved much better than new.

I didn't notice the rear sight was loose until I had fired a few dozen rounds. I had to disassemble the rear sight to tighten the single screw that holds it.  Careful. The detent for the windage knob is super tiny. There is a spring under the sight that is pretty small too. Once tightened it did not come loose again.

The wide sight had to go. I used a file to make the sight almost half the width it was and I want to make it a little thinner yet. I will post pictures once I have it finished. I cleaned it up so the corner is nice and sharp too.

The rifle is showing very high accuracy potential. I put several shots touching over and over. I did have several issues that made really tight 5 shot groups problematic.

One: the rear sight is not a terribly solid unit. The small spring under the sight holds the sight up against the slop in the screw that holds the sight. I am going to have to come up with a way to make the sight a little more solid. I might try wedging something under the sight to make it a little less wiggly. I'll work it out soon.

Second: the glare off the rear sight was pretty intense this evening. Pretty hard to make sure you are really lined up with so much shiny. I might try to file it a bit to make it less shiny.

Third: Zero for Wolf MT is between the last two notches. I am going to drill a new hole so it will have a click right at my 50 yard setting once I finalize my sight in at 50.

All this typing and I haven't gotten to the good part. I was consistently putting shots on top of shots and the wild swings in the groups got better as I worked through the bugs. The rifle looks to be stone dead accurate. When the sights were working it pretty much stacked shots at 25 yards. I just had issues keeping the groups in the same spot. The sights are too toyish, but I am working it out.

This rifle needs a red dot to be more affective in low light levels or darkness. It think it will really shine once it's got a better sight.

I really like this little rifle. A few improvements and it will be a awesome accurate reliable little game getter.

My thread protector is plastic and was glued on....
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#5]
mine was dead nuts on out of the box.  didn't even have to adjust the rear sight at all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
mine was dead nuts on out of the box.  didn't even have to adjust the rear sight at all.
View Quote

Mine was off just a bit but pretty close for the most part, not that I am great with irons but it and I are minute of a squirrel at 25ish yards

I agree with batman and the sights are defiantly not tech site quality but for me the do OK...  I also think a small light weight scope or small holographic sight would be a pretty good mate for the little badger.  I still need to get some more trigger time with mine!
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I finished sighting in the open sights today.  I wasn't at my best but holding a 2" group at 50 yards was doable.  Definitely not easy.  I would be confident with head shots on squirrels at 30 yards with the open sights. Better with more trigger time.

I mounted up a Bushnell trs 25. Sighted it in for 50 yards too. That was a lot more fun! I was close to 1" at 50 yards.

The two groups on the right are 1" stickers. I almost had 1" groups! Better shoot it some more!

I forgot to measure the trigger pull weight before I started working on it.  I would guess 7-8lbs. I polished up the surfaces and took away a tiny amount of hook in the sear surface on the hammer.  Dropped to a very nice, bump proof 3lbs.  That should drop my group sizes quite a bit more.  

I know I will get some grief for going down to 3lbs on a survival rifle,  but a good trigger will get more game than a target rifle work a crappy trigger.  Shooting off hand, a good trigger might mean eating or not. I shot competition with 22's off hand so I actually shot a lot of stuff in the woods with rifles.

This rifle is inherently safe so I am really not worried about it.  

I might not like the stock sights, but I love this little rifle!

ETA: The trigger turned out really nice. Very clean, snappy 3lbs. I am very pleased! The whole package with the sight is 3lbs 3oz
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I finished sighting in the open sights today.  I wasn't at my best but holding a 2" group at 50 yards was doable.  Definitely not easy.  I would be confident with head shots on squirrels at 30 yards with the open sights. Better with more trigger time.

I mounted up a Bushnell trs 25. Sighted it in for 50 yards too. That was a lot more fun! I was close to 1" at 50 yards.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20130929_174305_zps6fba3681.jpg

The two groups on the right are 1" stickers. I almost had 1" groups! Better shoot it some more!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20130929_174013_zps698b7101.jpg

I forgot to measure the trigger pull weight before I started working on it.  I would guess 7-8lbs. I polished up the surfaces and took away a tiny amount of hook in the sear surface on the hammer.  Dropped to a very nice, bump proof 3lbs.  That should drop my group sizes quite a bit more.  

I know I will get some grief for going down to 3lbs on a survival rifle,  but a good trigger will get more game than a target rifle work a crappy trigger.  Shooting off hand, a good trigger might mean eating or not. I shot competition with 22's off hand so I actually shot a lot of stuff in the woods with rifles.

ETA: The trigger turned out really nice. Very clean, snappy 3lbs. I am very pleased! The whole package with the sight is 3lbs 3oz
View Quote

Very nice!!!  I like the look of that optic on there... Time to start searching for something for mine!

I agree the stock sights are defiantly nothing to write home about but they are not to bad IMO.  Then again I have not spent very much time using iron sights (other then at the range.)  I tend to be a glass guy...  Ever since I started hunting many years ago I have always used a scope.  I can shoot OK without one but very much prefer one when it comes to game getting!!!
Or a shotgun if its small

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Very nice!!!  I like the look of that optic on there... Time to start searching for something for mine!

I agree the stock sights are defiantly nothing to write home about but they are not to bad IMO.  Then again I have not spent very much time using iron sights (other then at the range.)  I tend to be a glass guy...  Ever since I started hunting many years ago I have always used a scope.  I can shoot OK without one but very much prefer one when it comes to game getting!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20130929_174305_zps6fba3681.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20130929_174013_zps698b7101.jpg

My daughters want to use this rifle in the silhouette competition I run once a month. They have been waiting on me to buy them a Savage Rascal for a lighter weight rifle option. This rifle is so cute they can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Any better options for holding ammo between the wires in the stock? I am considering some sort of small closeable pouch held between the wires with Velcro.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mine was off just a bit but pretty close for the most part, not that I am great with irons but it and I are minute of a squirrel at 25ish yards

I agree with batman and the sights are defiantly not tech site quality but for me the do OK...  I also think a small light weight scope or small holographic sight would be a pretty good mate for the little badger.  I still need to get some more trigger time with mine!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I popped a chipmunk at a little over 25 yards today. So I guess you could say mine is a minute of chipmunk accurate!
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Several folks asked why to buy a Chiappa Little Badger over a take down 10/22 so I figured this would be a good time for side by side pictures.  

The little badger is very diminutive. Tiny, light,  and thin.  I have absolute confidence that I can take game out to 80 yards. Very accurate and simple.  What a great, fun little unit! 3lb 3oz

The 10/22 take down is a beefy little great handling rifle.  Very accurate and flawless for the first 50 rds. The 10/22 is  substantial. heavier.  Much larger over all.  Not merely length, but over all. 4.5lbs

the difference in the two is the shear mass not just the weight.  If I want a great game getter and very little weight I want the badger.  If I want to hand my wife a rifle she can hit a man in the face at 100 yards with the flip of the rear sight, then I want the Ruger and the 25 rd mag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Several folks asked why to buy a Chiappa Little Badger over a take down 10/22 so I figured this would be a good time for side by side pictures.  

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20131005_150059_zps9d86a819.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20131005_150138_zps6135bc62.jpg

The little badger is very diminutive. Tiny, light,  and thin.  I have absolute confidence that I can take game out to 80 yards. Very accurate and simple.  What a great, fun little unit! 3lb 3oz

The 10/22 take down is a beefy little great handling rifle.  Very accurate and flawless for the first 50 rds. The 10/22 is  substantial. heavier.  Much larger over all.  Not merely length, but over all. 4.5lbs

the difference in the two is the shear mass not just the weight.  If I want a great game getter and very little weight I want the badger.  If I want to hand my wife a rifle she can hit a man in the face at 100 yards with the flip of the rear sight, then I want the Ruger and the 25 rd mag.
View Quote

Nice pics...  And all very true from some one who also owns a 10/22 and badger.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
This little rifle is just screaming for a burris fastfire style sight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Love it, pulled off the glued on thread protector, threaded on a spacer and a suppressor and check concentricity. First shot huge grin on my face. Super quiet light weight, really more than I expected for ~$150 shipped.

Highly recommend if you own a can,
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#16]
How is it that you can assemble & disassemble that gun, take photos, write a review, and post it all to the forum but you cannot use photo editing software to crop your feet out?

Seriously though, cool gun.  I would like to get a good accurate long barrel pistol for lighter carry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How is it that you can assemble & disassemble that gun, take photos, write a review, and post it all to the forum but you cannot use photo editing software to crop your feet out?

Seriously though, cool gun.  I would like to get a good accurate long barrel pistol for lighter carry.
View Quote

Oh I could of if I wanted to, but in classic ARFCOM fashion I made sure to get feet in the photo whenever possible.    
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The stock is much better for long range accuracy.  Not many folks are as good with a pistol as they think they are.  

I run a woods walk silhouette shoot that uses the same targets for scoped and open sight rifle as pistols. I win the open sight pistol division often shooting 22-27 out of 40 targets.  I shoot 35-37 with an open sighted 10/22 with tech sights.  There is no question the rifle in a pack configuration will out class a pistol every time.  I shoot against some extremely good pistol shooters.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]
That  piece of picatinny rail behind the trigger guard is dumb.  They don't kick to need a grip, so why put it there.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#20]
no doubt a cool little rifle but I still say this has to be the ultimate portable rig. Still very compact but allows quick follow up shots with that sweet 10 shot rotary mag.  

not mine but wish it was!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That  piece of picatinny rail behind the trigger guard is dumb.  They don't kick to need a grip, so why put it there.  
View Quote

it's not even wide as a regular rail.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea they are supposed to come out with a little handle, however its not like your typical rail... Its edges are pretty smooth and you don't really notice it when shooting.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yea they are supposed to come out with a little handle, however its not like your typical rail... Its edges are pretty smooth and you don't really notice it when shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't bother me either. I need to re sight the red dot in for federal automatch for the girls to use this rifle at the last .22 silhouette shoot of the year. They are dying to try it out
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
I find my fingers curling around the point in space where they say the grip will go.

So I'll probably buy one.  It's got to be removable so the rifle still folds up.

I put a red dot on mine and stuck a laser bore sighter in it and found it was basically dead on from the get go.

Though, the sight mounted makes it so the little bag isn't big enough anymore.  I have some other packs that work though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I find my fingers curling around the point in space where they say the grip will go.  

So I'll probably buy one.  It's got to be removable so the rifle still folds up.

I put a red dot on mine and stuck a laser bore sighter in it and found it was basically dead on from the get go.

Though, the sight mounted makes it so the little bag isn't big enough anymore.  I have some other packs that work though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would rather have just a piece of rail cover to go over it. I am going to us rail covers over the rest of the forend rails.

The bag it comes with should be a slight bit bigger so it will accommodate a sight. Honestly I might take the sight off once I work with the open sights a  bit more. I am going to file the front sight down to a much finer point this weekend so it has a better aiming point. If I can get the stock sights to hold zero and perform I won't need the sight, except for it's capabilities at dusk or even at night.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#26]
So...has anyone actually put a suppressor on one of these? I picked one up...but the threads are 0.6" and require a spacer, but the shoulder is also nearly non-existent.   I couldn't even put on a standard AR crush washer to install an A2 flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I haven't shot it with it one yet. AAC pilot with CCI quiets . Works awesome.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#28]
My son did a little paracord work on my little Badger.

it feels much better.  

I sent Tech Sights a message asking if they might make new sights for this rifle. I wonder if Nodak might be game?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I just picked one of these up. I really like the concept. Unfortunately I think I got a gun with an issue. The extractor/ejector is loose and simply falls out. Do you have any issue with this? Can you take a close up picture of your extractor? I would like to see if I may just have something connected wrong.

I talked to Chiappa and their warranty repair is 6-8 weeks out and they are expecting a longer turn around because they are changing locations. .....

Thank you for your help

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#30]
What material is the receiver made of? I read 4 pages of posts and maybe I missed it. I like the gun from what I have seen. Who has the best price on this?
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What material is the receiver made of? I read 4 pages of posts and maybe I missed it. I like the gun from what I have seen. Who has the best price on this?
View Quote

looks plastic with medal receiver section, I've seen them for about $190.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
The receiver is heavily coated aluminum. The finish and coating make it look plastic.

Link Posted: 11/25/2013 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I just picked one of these up. I really like the concept. Unfortunately I think I got a gun with an issue. The extractor/ejector is loose and simply falls out. Do you have any issue with this? Can you take a close up picture of your extractor? I would like to see if I may just have something connected wrong.

I talked to Chiappa and their warranty repair is 6-8 weeks out and they are expecting a longer turn around because they are changing locations. .....

Thank you for your help

View Quote
The extractor is supposed to push the round out when you break it open.  It's not spring loaded, it's on a cam of some sort, so if you "open / close" move the main hinge it moves out and back as well.

It shouldn't come all the way out as in "can put it in your pocket", but it will open and stay open when the rifle is folded in half.

It also has quite a bit of "play" in it so it could appear like it's broken.

Does it eject the round properly for you?  Does it close properly without extra help when loading?  If yes for both of those, yours is probably operating correctly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I used an ar spacer and just a touch of  jb weld so it doesn't fall off, ground an ar flashhider so it times correctly as a thread protector. Works fantastic with my 22lr cans. Super quiet. I have had a ton of fun with this thing for only $175 after dealer fee. Great deal. Only wish is that the sights were not plastic. A little bit of orange glitter nail polish on the front post, and i threw an m3 pistol light on there as a foregrip. Huge fan of it. I've probably put 500 subsonic rounds through mine. It is suprisingly accurate.

Only thing i noticed is that the chamber is pretty loose and before it got dirty i would have  a few shots with 22cb thatt allowed a sharp pop of gases out of the action area. Havent noticed it since it got some use.

Kygunco.com has them for 169 w free shipping, i think it was 159 when i ordered from them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Kygunco.com has them for 169 w free shipping, i think it was 159 when i ordered from them.
View Quote

I just got my LGS to order me one from Kygunco this morning. The come on price was $148.00 but after the CC fee it was $153.35. Virginia state tax made what I paid $161.00 OTD. My LGS waved the transfer fee as I help them out on occasion.

To be honest I bought it more for the "strange and unusual" factor as I have other rifles better suited for "survival" use. I'm looking to tinker with it more than anything else.

I already have a urge to change out the plastic sights with M1 Carbine sights if they fit.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I just upgraded my Little Badger with some Magpul XTM Rail Panels. The forend really needed something to make it more user friendly. I bought two packs of 4, not realizing that one pack would really do the trick. I didn't want one on the bottom and it wouldn't fit with the close spacing of the rails anyway, but I didn't want to make the rifle not collapse as small.

I think it worked out great and my daughters like the way it feels too.

I may try to sneak in a ladder rail cover on the bottom, but I haven't decided yet.  I can cut out the part that would interfere with collapsing.

Now to get back to filing down that front sight to a sharper point.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I just finished up filing the front sight to more of a pointed profile. This was the best mod I have done to this rifle. The original sights suck, but now at least they are usable for finer work. I really wanted them to resemble the Tech Sights a lot more.

If you are taking game with open sights, you don't want a huge fat front sight that warps the light coming to your eye. The finer front post is what I use in my Tech Sights on my 10/22 to really kick some ass a the local shoot. I can't wait to see how it shoots now!

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#38]
This would be so much better if it was a combo.  Like a poor man's m6
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This would be so much better if it was a combo.  Like a poor man's m6
View Quote

It is the poor man's m6 oh right!  just no 410...
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I just had a blast with my daughter and my little badger. We set up water bottles up every 10 yards out to 100 yards. I had no problem hitting water bottles off hand out to 50 with the open sights. After that I started having a hard time. This is a very light rifle! I let her shoot off the bench.

Once we got to 60 yards we gave up and walked out to shoot the rest closer off hand. We both really love that little rifle.  At 20 to 30 yards my daughter just drills the snot out of the water bottles off hand. I do pretty well out to 50 off hand, but with better light I bet I can be more accurate.

I need to spend more time with it and the sights. I am getting used to them and the trigger. It's going to take hundreds of rounds to get good with it. The best I did today was about 1.25" at 50. Not enough light to get more aggressive.

The rifle shows a preference for Blaser over Federal Automatch, but it really shines with Wolf MT. Blaser will be the go to ammo from now on. It's always been one of my favorites.

The filed down front sight works extremely well. Massively better than the stock sight.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#41]
If the Little Badger is going to be considered a survival rifle, useful in a unforeseen situation, it must have some on board ammo storage. Not that horribly executed ammo holder built into the stock, but a real way to keep ammo with the rifle that does not effect the function of the rifle.

This is my first and probably last attempt at putting a pouch on the wire stock. It may not look nice, but it is barely noticeable when shouldering the rifle. My face barely touches the top of the pouch flap when I am shooting. There is no pressure at all.

The pouch is a reproduction of an old army bandage pouch. I have many of them, but this is the only one with double clip slots in the back. It holds 100 rounds in a plastic zip lock bag inside the pouch. Without the zip lock the pouch would not work because the flap is not tight enough to keep the rounds in, but I also want to protect the rounds from moisture and dirt.

This picture shows how I used zip ties to hold it around the original ammo holder so it can't move around while walking or shooting. This could still be done with a single loop pouch as long as two zip ties were used to capture it on both sides of the old ammo holder.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If the Little Badger is going to be considered a survival rifle, useful in a unforeseen situation, it must have some on board ammo storage. Not that horribly executed ammo holder built into the stock, but a real way to keep ammo with the rifle that does not effect the function of the rifle.

This is my first and probably last attempt at putting a pouch on the wire stock. It may not look nice, but it is barely noticeable when shouldering the rifle. My face barely touches the top of the pouch flap when I am shooting. There is no pressure at all.

The pouch is a reproduction of an old army bandage pouch. I have many of them, but this is the only one with double clip slots in the back. It holds 100 rounds in a plastic zip lock bag inside the pouch. Without the zip lock the pouch would not work because the flap is not tight enough to keep the rounds in, but I also want to protect the rounds from moisture and dirt.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20140105_194904_zpsa7gqxgtx.jpg

This picture shows how I used zip ties to hold it around the original ammo holder so it can't move around while walking or shooting. This could still be done with a single loop pouch as long as two zip ties were used to capture it on both sides of the old ammo holder.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20140105_194958_zpswvbkyeme.jpg
View Quote

Thats neat...  I wish they would come out with a pouch made to fit the wire stock with a bunch of different pouches...  Maybe if I get motivated I can make something...  Sewing webbing and pouches by hand sucks though, I need to get a machine (wife won't let me use hers for projects like that, she says I always screw it up )
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thats neat...  I wish they would come out with a pouch made to fit the wire stock with a bunch of different pouches...  Maybe if I get motivated I can make something...  Sewing webbing and pouches by hand sucks though, I need to get a machine (wife won't let me use hers for projects like that, she says I always screw it up )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20140105_194904_zpsa7gqxgtx.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20140105_194958_zpswvbkyeme.jpg

The way it sticks out is ugly as sin, but I really does work well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I added one more tiny addition to my little badger. I noticed today that I struggled getting any kind of grip on the wrist.

This is just a 3/4" screw with 3 nuts on it. I will make a nicer one out of a stainless cap screw and a plastic spacer tomorrow, but this gives the basic idea. There is just enough length for my middle finger to catch the bolt and pull the rifle back into my shoulder perfectly. The new one will be 1/4" longer. This made a pretty dramatic improvement on my trigger control.

After all my mods, the little badger still fits in it's original case.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Finished product. Chiappa should produce a minimalist grip like this for sale with the rifle. It works extremely well for how small it is. It is just a 10-32 cap screw and a 5/16" aluminum spacer with the end belt sanded to match the bolt angle. The diameter of the cap screw head is almost the same as the spacer. I would not want to fire 500 rounds from this rifle in a day, but for the occasional shot at game and a little plinking it is just fine.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#46]

As the side rails are useless due to spacing if you have anything on the top or bottom rail I replaced them with wood panels. It made a world of difference. I replaced the 1" split ring with a 3/4" stouter ring. Same ring Pelican uses for a carry strap on their cases.

The wrist grip problem is real so I used a few wraps of black vet wrap where the wire stock meets the receiver and it makes a passable thumb-hole stock. Try it, the extra control is amazing.

I'm sure some sort of wood/plastic spacer could be made but the vet wrap works, conforms to my hand and is removable.

Your pouch was my first thought. I was going to use the canvas version of the same pouch but I preferred to use the dressing pouch because I could use it for a better cheek weld with using the scope and  it's easier to get my Mini-Maglite sized fingers in it.

Your pouch serves the purpose and is hands and feet better than that POS shell holder.

BTW....I killed a couple of fox squirrels with the Little Badger w/can. It's a joy to carry.  

I'm wondering if this one will end-up going in the woods more than the threaded repeaters I own. It's odd but with all the shotguns I own a old H&R single shot always seems to get more woods time than the rest.

Batmanacw....I did sorta like the idea of moving my "P-Grip" back to the second notch. I tried it and it's a bit better in conjunction with the "thumb-hole" arrangement. Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As the side rails are useless due to spacing if you have anything on the top or bottom rail I replaced them with wood panels. It made a world of difference. I replaced the 1" split ring with a 3/4" stouter ring. Same ring Pelican uses for a carry strap on their cases.

The wrist grip problem is real so I used a few wraps of black vet wrap where the wire stock meets the receiver and it makes a passable thumb-hole stock. Try it, the extra control is amazing.

I'm sure some sort of wood/plastic spacer could be made but the vet wrap works, conforms to my hand and is removable.

Your pouch was my first thought. I was going to use the canvas version of the same pouch but I preferred to use the dressing pouch because I could use it for a better cheek weld with using the scope and  it's easier to get my Mini-Maglite sized fingers in it.

Your pouch serves the purpose and is hands and feet better than that POS shell holder.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2nsryuw.jpg

BTW....I killed a couple of fox squirrels with the Little Badger w/can. It's a joy to carry.  

I'm wondering if this one will end-up going in the woods more than the threaded repeaters I own. It's odd but with all the shotguns I own a old H&R single shot always seems to get more woods time than the rest.

Batmanacw....I did sorta like the idea of moving my "P-Grip" back to the second notch. I tried it and it's a bit better in conjunction with the "thumb-hole" arrangement. Thanks.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2pzhgdv.jpg
View Quote

Are you finding that you really need all your fingers around your "grip" to get good trigger control?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I popped around half a dozen of them last week at my nieces house. The front site is huge compared to a squirrel at 50 yards or more. I finally broke it the file and made a point out of it. That seems like it will help a good bit but am concerned about it getting chipped or broken now considering it is just thrown in a bad. I would like to see if that sight can be replaced with a Hooded metal site.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are you finding that you really need all your fingers around your "grip" to get good trigger control?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes I do. The more of your hand you get on the controls the more it's controlled. Having your fingers just hanging out there does not for control make.

Quoted:
The front site is huge compared to a squirrel at 50 yards or more. I finally broke it the file and made a point out of it. That seems like it will help a good bit but am concerned about it getting chipped or broken now considering it is just thrown in a bad. I would like to see if that sight can be replaced with a Hooded metal site.

A M1 Carbine front sight can be used but it will have to be shimmed if you want a eared FS. If I was to replace it I would go with a sporter ramp set-up.

The reason I went with a scope (other than old eyes) is I don't think those plastic sights are much of a much as a primary sight but OK for a back-up. I've already read of folks breaking off the front sight ears in the field. That said it would take some doing to break the blade.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Other than the strange and unusual and fun to mess with factor to be honest this is not the best thought out "survival rifle" in the world. It would be way down on my list in the pecking order just slightly ahead of the Garcia Bronco for that type of use. There are much better choices out there.

That said it's a great little "walking around" .22 and I see a lot of use my me in that role. Even with the mods and can it's less than five pounds and kills squirrels just as dead as the eight pound rifles do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I said it would be better as a m6 copy and they listen. I just saw they are unveiled the badger m6 at shot show
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top