User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By westwardbound:
5$ tent foot prints at Big Agnes.  HAPPYCAMPER gets you free shipping.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Collections/5-footprints

Picked one up as a cheap tarp.
View Quote

Thanks!
The Yellowjacket 4 is the biggest one, for a 96"x90" tent.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]

View Quote

Thanks!  I just ordered a few.  Can't beat a $5 non poly tarp or groundsheet.  Worse case I am sure they make a perfect item to stash in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

Thanks!  I just ordered a few.  Can't beat a $5 non poly tarp or groundsheet.  Worse case I am sure they make a perfect item to stash in your vehicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I had two in the cart but balked at the shipping.  Then I noticed the HAPPYCAMPER code.  Two on the way here!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mainsail:

I had two in the cart but balked at the shipping.  Then I noticed the HAPPYCAMPER code.  Two on the way here!
View Quote

I ordered 6 of the large one and 2 of the next size down.  The next size down will work good as ground tarps for my lightweight hot tent and other bushcraft outings.  The larger ones should be good for a variety of uses.  For $5 each they are cheaper than a small poly tarp.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang, arfcom ordered all the big ones.

went for 3 of the 3 footprint and 1 of the mid. Might use it as a side panel sunshade on the pontoon instead of trying to wedge towels in the bimini
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ljh824:
Looks like Berkey is having a sale on some of their filter systems.  Not a huge savings, but anything helps now a days.  

Berkey Sale
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Posted elsewhere but I think this is a pretty good deal if you need MRE-style meals.
There was a big lot of HDR Humanitarian Daily Rations released on the market recently.  Manufactured in 2019, inspected in 2022 just like an MRE case.

These are cases of 10 HDR, each of which has about 2,200 calories.  An HDR is intended for a smaller daily ration, not an individual 1,200-calorie meal of an individual MRE.  So the 10-count HDR case has more calories than the 12-count typical MRE case.  

Downsides, HDR is vegetarian.  Not bad vegetarian fake things, just decent basic rice, beans, etc, that is intended to be able to be eaten by anyone.
Also, there are no heaters in these packs.

The best part, the price.  On Ebay, you can get a case of 10 meals for about $55 delivered!  For buying 4, I recently got $47.25 each delivered, and they came in roughly 3 days!
Sportsmans Guide had them as well but were in the $60 range.  Ebay definitely the cheap source for these.

With MRE cases going over $120/case delivered, and First Strike cases of 9 going for $200ish, I think these are a really good deal for a secondary supply of medium-term storage and self-contained meal packs.  They're about 5th or 6th in line for my food supplies, but are near the top for charity handouts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have used this bottle for last 4 months and it looks fine for me. According to it's manual it has IAMF technology which related to extreme filtration. you can check this out from www.etaliving.com
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Posted elsewhere but I think this is a pretty good deal if you need MRE-style meals.
There was a big lot of HDR Humanitarian Daily Rations released on the market recently.  Manufactured in 2019, inspected in 2022 just like an MRE case.

These are cases of 10 HDR, each of which has about 2,200 calories.  An HDR is intended for a smaller daily ration, not an individual 1,200-calorie meal of an individual MRE.  So the 10-count HDR case has more calories than the 12-count typical MRE case.  

Downsides, HDR is vegetarian.  Not bad vegetarian fake things, just decent basic rice, beans, etc, that is intended to be able to be eaten by anyone.
Also, there are no heaters in these packs.

The best part, the price.  On Ebay, you can get a case of 10 meals for about $55 delivered!  For buying 4, I recently got $47.25 each delivered, and they came in roughly 3 days!
Sportsmans Guide had them as well but were in the $60 range.  Ebay definitely the cheap source for these.

With MRE cases going over $120/case delivered, and First Strike cases of 9 going for $200ish, I think these are a really good deal for a secondary supply of medium-term storage and self-contained meal packs.  They're about 5th or 6th in line for my food supplies, but are near the top for charity handouts.
View Quote

Thanks for this post. We've been eating down my older MREs and I was looking for a more cost effective alternative. CostCo is OOS on Mountain House, so I picked up HDR 2 cases on ebay for $65 delivered.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: streetstar] [#10]
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Portable Aqua $8.50 at Amazon
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#12]
www.amazon.com/dp/b0009i3t3s
View Quote

Just watch the expiration on those, while they will last well after the date on them, they don't last forever.  I put back several packs years ago then when I needed them for a camping trip I realized that some of them had disintegrated.

Good if you use them once in a while but deff not buy and forget items.   Unscented bleach tabs are better for buy and forget as far as prepping goes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Just watch the expiration on those, while they will last well after the date on them, they don't last forever.  I put back several packs years ago then when I needed them for a camping trip I realized that some of them had disintegrated.

Good if you use them once in a while but deff not buy and forget items.   Unscented bleach tabs are better for buy and forget as far as prepping goes.
View All Quotes

What is the shelf life of unscented bleach tablets?  How much of a tablet for, say 1 QT/1L of water?  Same question for 1 Gallon.
Where to buy them? @thederrick106
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By raf:
What is the shelf life of unscented bleach tablets?  How much of a tablet for, say 1 QT/1L of water?  Same question for 1 Gallon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raf:

According to the google bleach tablets last for 5 years so in my mind they can last double that but probably lose its potency.  With bleach tablets follow the instructions on the bottle and make how much bleach a tablet will make for whatever concentrate your looking for.  The bottles say add one tablet to 32oz of water for cleaning hard surfaces so I would treat that mixture like a slightly diluted bleach mix and add start with one teaspoon of what you made to a gallon of water and let it sit for a bit.  I was always taught that if it has a slight bleach or chlorinated taste that you can identify then it has done what it is capable of doing as far as potable water goes.

I would not use this method with a nasty water source but would not hesitate on a slightly questionable source.

https://doh.wa.gov/emergencies/be-prepared-be-safe/severe-weather-and-natural-disasters/water-purification

Attachment Attached File

So, I guess I have "original scent" which just smells like regular bleach to me.  I have had these two packs for years now, and they are not for primary use, just a backup to other backups as we have plenty of regular bleach on hand and rotate through it.  I also have several camping filter options but most of all we have good fresh water sources on our property.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evolve-Bleach-Tablets-Ultra-Concentrated-Original-Scent-32-Count/31958722?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1806&adid=2222222227731958722_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-294505072980&wl5=9004949&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=31958722&wl13=1806&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=CjwKCAiA7IGcBhA8EiwAFfUDsaQe4aQTzN-l7NS_ViKRVJ5_9ltMNOtl4MWqHOAzD6Vwpolmz4OpsxoC_LIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is what I have had stored for years, they don't have any expiration dates on them:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I am no expert on the matter and with anything like this YMMV.  I just know that a few years ago, when I went to use/ check the camping tabs that I had for a few years had disintegrated.  Bleach tables still look and smell fine so take it for what it's worth vs prepping & longer-term storage.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#16]
72 gel fuel (sterno) cans for $120.  Also have citronella-scented version.
https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/chemicals/solid-gel-sterno-cans-case-qty/

Repurposed Materias is a very interesting site that gets some weird/cheap stuff some times.  I got some landscaping hose and soaker hose very cheap a while back.  I woul dlove to buy some of their highway barriers to make berms out of.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top