Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2012 4:12:30 PM EDT

The Springfield M6- Scout Rifle:

This is my winter camping gun that has a few survival items added to it, in case I get lost or the world ends and I need a low key beater rifle that does not take up much space.
1. I added a double rap of 550 cord around the barrel for the full length.  I don’t recall the length but it’s enough for the need I might come across.  It also acts as a shoulder thing that goes up so I can get a better grip on it when shooting.
2. I ordered the scope rail and later added a Vortex dot scope on a high riser.
3. For a sling I used an old SKS sling I had lying around.
4. I ordered a stock saddle with MOLLE webbing from Retro-Tactical, (2) 3x5 pouches from Maxpedition, and (4) 4 inch MOLLE attachment straps from Maxpedition.
5. One Gerber knife slid in behind one of the Maxpedition pouches on the right side of the stock saddle.

I was going to take some pictures of the saddle with just the webbing but once I got it together I didn’t feel like taking it all apart.
Now in the 2 pouches, In one I have a simple survival kit, fire stuff, some band aids and such.   The other one I have a .22 bore snake, a little bottle of oil, extra battery for the Vortex, 100 rounds of .22 stacked neatly in a plastic jar to get in all 100 and 20 .410 shot shell.
Now you can mix whatever you like in the pouches.

One word of caution though, if you put too much stuff in the pouches it will become stock heavy.  I don’t mind it much, plus the pouches act as a cheek rest to bring my eye level up even with the scope.

Rifle in question

4 inch Maxpedition MOLLE mounting strap.

4 views of the 2 Maxpedition pouches mounted on the saddle and stock.

This is the Right side with the knife slid in behind the saddle flap and pouch.

The following is a picture of the saddle with a 10/22 pouch that holds 2 10/22 10 round magazines on what would be the right side of the stock with a piece of Para-cord and a a cord lock used to secure the saddle.  Normally the pouch is secured with Velcro, but as these can and are made I had the this one made with the buckle and the one in previous picture made with MOLLE webbing to secure the 2 pouches

An ammunition pouch, will hold about 100 rounds of .22
Front

Back

Jack and Coke.

Manufacturers contact information.
And an FYI everything ordered from this guy is made to order so expect a 2 to 3 week delivery.  More if you get too specialized.  The total bill for these 3 items was $101.  Not bad for what I got.  The saddle for the M-6 was a bit cheaper since all I had on it was the MOLLE webbing, less material and time in making it.

link to retro-tactical

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
looks cool. Wish I had an M6

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great. How are you liking the Vortex? Seems like a good option for a .22 red dot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you able to shoot with both pouches attached?
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Given that you're in MD, any problems with carrying it around? I've never felt the urge to take a gun camping, so not really sure the technicalities/legalities.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
That looks cumbersome as hell!
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks great. How are you liking the Vortex? Seems like a good option for a .22 red dot.

Works great and if the battery dies, it also has irons.

Quoted:
Are you able to shoot with both pouches attached?

Yes .  The left pouch actually puts my eye line up enough that I don't have to hold my head off the stock to see the dot.

Quoted:
Given that you're in MD, any problems with carrying it around? I've never felt the urge to take a gun camping, so not really sure the technicalities/legalities.

None, as I do my camping during the hunting seasons in Western MD.  And it's tucked away while in camp.

Quoted:

It can be, since the balance is off. But I got used to it.  The extra weight in the stock puts it firmly in the pocket when shooting, and kills some of the recoil from the .410.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

Just because you can doesnt mean you should
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one in .22 Hornet / .410. nice units, odd, but effective for what they are with limitations.

Note I've heard of some people that have 550 cord wrapped them and later unwarped them to find a terible rusty mess.

Some one was SBR'ing them a while back.

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one in .22 Hornet / .410. nice units, odd, but effective for what they are with limitations.

Note I've heard of some people that have 550 cord wrapped them and later unwarped them to find a terible rusty mess.

Some one was SBR'ing them a while back.

I actually thought about the rust problem coming up when I was half way through the wrap.  I unwrapped  put on 2 coats of rustolium paint, the re-wrapped it.  I have since re did it with new cord and found no issues other than a little paint discoloration.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I also have one in 22 Hornet. I unwrap the para cord I have on it every now and then to make sure it is good to go and no rust has formed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1...
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Love it!  Those pouches probably give a good cheek-weld.  I just used a modified butt pouch for some extra .410 shells, but you can really work up a good kit with the M6.  

I like you optic site choice.  I found the perfect one for me; the 12.5 MOA triangle Reflex optic from Trijicon.  The tip of the triangle is zeroed for the .22LR and I can use the base or whole triangle for quick shots with the .410.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Love it!  Those pouches probably give a good cheek-weld.  I just used a modified butt pouch for some extra .410 shells, but you can really work up a good kit with the M6.  

I like you optic site choice.  I found the perfect one for me; the 12.5 MOA triangle Reflex optic from Trijicon.  The tip of the triangle is zeroed for the .22LR and I can use the base or whole triangle for quick shots with the .410.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/DSC03172.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/DSC03173.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/DSC03171.jpg

ROCK6

The cheek weld puts you right there when you shoulder the thing.  

I looked at the shell holder you have but have found after some years along with the elements the elastick breaks down and needs replacement.  I also discovered by accident that with the Vortex Strick fire with the high ring mount and the forward most notch on the scope base I can put the controls down to protect it from damage and accidental activation.  All you have to do is push the corner of the switch and its on.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 2:09:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I looked at the shell holder you have but have found after some years along with the elements the elastick breaks down and needs replacement.  I also discovered by accident that with the Vortex Strick fire with the high ring mount and the forward most notch on the scope base I can put the controls down to protect it from damage and accidental activation.  All you have to do is push the corner of the switch and its on.

Yeah, that elastic shell holder is not the best solution.  It does allow me to access the on-board storage easily.  I need to get a stock pouch on it like my Marlin Papoose...good cheek weld and a decent pouch for storage:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, that elastic shell holder is not the best solution.  It does allow me to access the on-board storage easily.  I need to get a stock pouch on it like my Marlin Papoose...good cheek weld and a decent pouch for storage:

ROCK6

Had the same set up as your Papoose prior to this one.  I found that on mine the Velcro would ware out and wouldn't work real well when wet, went hunting for some thing different and found what I have now. As for the M6 I also used some heavy duty cable clips ( like this ) but with 2 sided tape, but after my abuse would fall off,  I'm sure it would have worked better if I had the inclination to get some I could have riveted to the stock.

As you can tell mine uses a lace type and is easy to get to the compartment, I have some back up ammo there and one .410 hull with some matches and a striker pad with a wax and cotton plug to keep them dry.  

They guy that made my saddle is pretty reasonable on any modification that someone may want done.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#17]
OP - I have that same Gerber and LOVE it. I've used that little thing more than any other knife I own in the last 2 years and still haven't sharpened it! I use it as an everyday knife to cut steak etc. Where I go, it goes. I love my Kabars, especially the Mk1s but the little Gerber is just perfect for 99% of daily tasks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/RangeDay-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/RangeDay-3.jpg

ROCK6

What pouch is that on the marlin ?
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I installed a simple fixed power 2.5x20 scope recently to see if that will help, my eyesight is not like it used to be so a simple fixed power scope mounted on  see-through weaver mounts makes a huge difference for me. I'm still sorting it out, but, so far i like it in this configuration.

Before:

After. Sorry for crappy quality, took pic while I was camping yesterday, used my iTouch which is not the greatest thing for these kinds of pics.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I installed a simple fixed power 2.5x20 scope recently to see if that will help, my eyesight is not like it used to be so a simple fixed power scope mounted on a see-through weaver mounts makes a huge difference for me. I'm still sorting it out, but, so far i like it in this configuration.

Before:
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll193/zug556/M6Scout.jpg

After. Sorry for crappy quality, took pic while I was camping yesterday, used my iTouch which is not the greatest thing for these kinds of pics.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll193/zug556/ScoutScoped.jpg

Is that snow??
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh gosh no, the pallet was leaning against some plastic sheet. It was in the 90's and extremely humid. I can't wait for snow!

Wow, that does look like snow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...

Worst

Rifle

Ever.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...

Worst

Rifle

Ever.

. Don't say that. I just bought the one in the EE.

Why is the worst rifle ever?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...

Worst

Rifle

Ever.

. Don't say that. I just bought the one in the EE.

Why is the worst rifle ever?

because he doesn't have one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://64.184.32.112/cmmg_images/tbl_images/EVO/M62.jpg

I gotta say, I love these little rifles. Once I added the trijcon, it shot like a dream.  I just wish they weren't soooooooo expensive and hard to find.

That said, I have our engineering crew prototyping an all new survival rifle loosely based of the M6.

Here are a few of the features I am including.  

-Ability to quickly change out barrel for other calibers-22lr, .22 magnum, 38/357 etc
-Ammo storage tubes to be added to either side of barrel
-Removable watertight storage box incorporated into butt stock.
-Picatinny Rail for small optic
-Better Trigger

Probably something I am forgetting.

You bring up a question or two:

Finish: Heck with bluing, parkerized or stainless? or try some of the other fancy hi-tech coatings?

Iron Sights: Along with surface for mounting scopes, how about Hi-Viz style sights, front and rear?, for example, the kind made by HI VIZ. I have some on a S&W M&P 9, they are green and orange, wow, they make a huge difference.

Storage: Ability to keep a small cleaning kit and maybe a few rounds of ammo is ok, I like that option, but, anything bigger is not high on my list of must haves on a firearm of that style. Now a modular storage system for carrying the rifle (Backpack-ish) , and extra pockets and pouches for the whole kit would be interesting, and, could be an option purchased along with the rifle ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Hopefully a reasonable price point....
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I gotta say, I love these little rifles. Once I added the trijcon, it shot like a dream.  I just wish they weren't soooooooo expensive and hard to find.

That said, I have our engineering crew prototyping an all new survival rifle loosely based of the M6.

-Ability to quickly change out barrel for other calibers-22lr, .22 magnum, 38/357 etc
-Better Trigger

Awesome, please .22/12ga or .223/12ga. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

-Better Trigger

Good stuff. It's nice to people like you in this forum.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is my dressed up survival/hunting 10/22.  I like to bum around the woods with it. I think it's a great improvement over the standard stock for those who want assault rifle styling for small game warfare. I love patrolling my AO in a movement to contact with the local insurgent population of rabbit and squirrel. I never break contact. When I run dry I can switch to my sidearm (AA kit) and destroy those who might have broken through my initial volley of mayhem. It's lightweight, accurate, a ton of fun and fills the freezer with yummy little critters. Enjoy.…because I certainly do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Well this thread cost me $525.00.

Thanks.

Here's mine after a little rope work.

I like stock pouch idea, need to look around and see what I can come up with.

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I saw this a long time ago and decided to rip it off:
http://selousscouts.blogspot.com/2008/06/marlin-model-60-survival-rifle.html

Here is my version. I also use paracord to wrap my shoulder thing that goes up:

I use diabetic test strip bottles because they seal airtight and fit (after a little fighting) in a 12ga shell holder. I put .22lr rounds in two and in another I put matches and line it with a piece of sandpaper:

This pack is a choke holder and the choke storage tubes makes great storage units. I'm experimenting with what to put in them, but it also mounts to the side of the buttstock or on the sling.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top