Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 6/16/2012 3:00:25 AM
What would you experts say is the most rugged pistol or "best" pistol for a survival situation. In reality I know that my AR-15 would stay in the safe during any likely SHTF scenario so a pistol is something that I really want to focus on.

I am sure it will be a over whelming response for Glocks. But what caliber is the best? 9mm? .40? What would be more readily available in the states during a SHTF scenario?

ar-jedi
Intellectually adrift
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2012 3:11:02 AM
[Last Edit: 6/16/2012 3:12:06 AM by ar-jedi]
Originally Posted By LRB_M1A:
What would you experts say is the most rugged pistol or "best" pistol for a survival situation. In reality I know that my AR-15 would stay in the safe during any likely SHTF scenario so a pistol is something that I really want to focus on.

I am sure it will be a over whelming response for Glocks. But what caliber is the best? 9mm? .40? What would be more readily available in the states during a SHTF scenario?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aar15.com+best+survival+caliber

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aar15.com+best+survival+gun

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aar15.com+SHTF+caliber

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aar15.com+best+SHTF+gun

ar-jedi
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BusaBoy2009
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2012 3:38:58 AM
The "best" pistol in a SHTF situation is the one in your hand. If you are picking up ammo along the way, it's likely that the weapons which use said ammo will be sitting right there with the ammo... Caliber doesn't mean shit realistically, shot placement is key.
TheOTHERmaninblack
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2012 6:00:33 AM
To add, the best caliber is the one you've stocked up on beforehand. Counting on finding ANY common caliber while the shit is flying is fail waiting to happen.
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German poet, novelist, playwright, scientist and philosopher (1749-1832)
blt-2-drg
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:39:06 AM
9mm is the best "survival" caliber for me since i own 10k rounds and my wife is very comfortable shooting it.
gabec35139
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:53:45 AM
Between 9 and 40 go 9. But for shtf and just general use be sure you own a 22lr rifle or long barrel pistol. That 22lr will drop rabbits, squriels and larger 2 legged game just as easy. Put 500rds of 22 in your bob, now try that with 9 or 40. You would need a whole other bob. If your gonna have a 9 and your woried about shtf, reload! Get a simple lee tuuret system. For a total investment of less than 200 you now can save 50% on ammo. It pays for itself very fast, then its all pure gravy!
Rudison
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:20:17 AM
I like 44sp. in my 3" S&W 696.
LonghunterCO
Charcoal Burner clinging to his guns and religion.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2012 8:46:00 PM
Define please. What do you envision needing a handgun for in a survival situation.
"This republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it."-Elmer Davis
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."~Thomas Paine
SilentMark
Minister of Mis-Information
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2012 9:04:12 PM
My go to is a glock 17 and i'd bring along my Advantage Arms 22lr conversion kit as well. Both with threaded barrels for my suppressors.
Bloodsport2885: Because if your riflemen can't reach it, your marksman can. If your marksman can't reach it, your sniper can. If your sniper can't reach it, your arty/air can. If they can't reach it then fuck that target. He isn't even worried about you.
Mach1
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 1:38:28 AM
Ruger MK II .22

Runner up: Glock 19
ROCK6
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 7:29:55 AM
What would be more readily available in the states during a SHTF scenario?

Glock would be a good choice as would any of the more LE/Military designs such as HK, CZ, Sig, Beretta, etc. As for caliber, I would think 9mm and .40S&W would be the most prevalent; however availability wouldn't be any guarantee as there are so many variables. It would be better to stock up now than think about savaging after the SHTF.

A conversion kit is a good option as well. You could get a .40S&W Glock and add a 9mm barrel and even a .22LR conversion kit to expand your capabilities…

ROCK6
Christisking
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:36:32 AM
Glock 23 with a drop in 9mm barrel and different types of mags.
Alembic
Bug Man
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 9:04:37 AM
A .22 LR pistol would be the most useful but it just doesn't have the cool factor.
FNFalGuy
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:20:24 AM
I really like the Gen 4 Glock 17 but I have to say that I've not been nearly impressed with the Kel-tec SU2000 as has been espoused across the internet (crude trigger, plastic sights and when a left-handed shooter holds the rifle they can accidentally depress the mag release while shooting).
Taxed2Death
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 11:00:12 AM
Haven't we been through this about a bazillion times and pretty much concluded that the Glock 19 or Glock 17 were the ideals here, with a 22lr Ruger MKII or MKIII to accompany? Why bring this all back up again and remind those that went with XDs, Sig or others that they screwed up?
Donith
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 11:53:44 AM
Originally Posted By Taxed2Death:
Why bring this all back up again and remind those that went with XDs, Sig or others that they screwed up?

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery...
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 12:06:44 PM
[Last Edit: 6/17/2012 12:08:15 PM by clownbear69]
As for myself its my Colt Trooper Mk III in .357 Magnum. .357 Magnum is an awesome deer gun and coyotes if they are in range. The nice thing is having the .38 Special if need be.

Dont have a Glock....Whooops
Chacal87
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 12:55:10 PM
Originally Posted By clownbear69:
As for myself its my Colt Trooper Mk III in .357 Magnum. .357 Magnum is an awesome deer gun and coyotes if they are in range. The nice thing is having the .38 Special if need be.

I always wonder why so few people find the .357/.38 combination acceptable for SHTF. A double action wheel gun can be fired as fast as you can pull the trigger, and reloaded fairly quickly as well. Revolvers will stand up to anything a semi-auto will stand up to as far as harsh conditions go.

As far as a TEOTWAWKI/SHTF gun fight goes it seems that Cormac McCarthy had it right when he wrote "I'd rather make a good run than a poor stand." If it comes down to having to stand my ground, I'd just as soon have something that will pass through a 1970's steel car door and still have some umph. The .357 was HUGE with law enforcement when it came out because it would pass through the rudimentary body armor that the outlaws of the day had taken to wearing.

To top it all off you can get a very reliable lever action to pair with it and eat the same ammo. Can I reload it as fast as my AR? No. Can I shoot it as far with accuracy? No. Can I shoot it as fast? No. Will it quit me in hot, dry, sandy/dusty conditions? Probably not.

Not saying semi-auto firearms don't have their place, or that I'll sell off my AR for another .357 revo/rifle set. Just seems that they have more a place in the prepper inventory than most people think.
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 1:20:10 PM
Originally Posted By Chacal87:
Originally Posted By clownbear69:

I always wonder why so few people find the .357/.38 combination acceptable for SHTF. A double action wheel gun can be fired as fast as you can pull the trigger, and reloaded fairly quickly as well. Revolvers will stand up to anything a semi-auto will stand up to as far as harsh conditions go.

As far as a TEOTWAWKI/SHTF gun fight goes it seems that Cormac McCarthy had it right when he wrote "I'd rather make a good run than a poor stand." If it comes down to having to stand my ground, I'd just as soon have something that will pass through a 1970's steel car door and still have some umph. The .357 was HUGE with law enforcement when it came out because it would pass through the rudimentary body armor that the outlaws of the day had taken to wearing.

To top it all off you can get a very reliable lever action to pair with it and eat the same ammo. Can I reload it as fast as my AR? No. Can I shoot it as far with accuracy? No. Can I shoot it as fast? No. Will it quit me in hot, dry, sandy/dusty conditions? Probably not.

Not saying semi-auto firearms don't have their place, or that I'll sell off my AR for another .357 revo/rifle set. Just seems that they have more a place in the prepper inventory than most people think.

I simply look at simplicity. Less mechanical parts less likely to fail. Only problem with larger revolvers is finding a holster but having a custom one isnt out of the question. I am glad someone see eye-to-eye on the choice of caliber selection
45ProCarry
Always support the U.S. military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 2:27:41 PM
The one that you own and are proficient with. For us, it's Glock 9mm's.
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
texasmedic
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 5:14:19 PM
There is no best SHTF handgun like has been said its what you have you cand go worng with sig, glock, hk, berreta, most 1911`s, xd/xdm, cz,s&w, walther just get the one that fits your hand and you can shoot best and as for 9mm or .40s&w 9mm you get 2 or 3 mor shots and .40 hits a little harder but if you get go HP ammo it really doesnt matter
MIhunter
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 5:51:42 PM
[Last Edit: 6/17/2012 5:54:17 PM by MIhunter]
"Proper shot placement" is just an excuse for recoil shy pussies that use too small of a gun.
Ar-Bret
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 6:32:54 PM
Well,

As stated before...The caliber you have pistols for and stocked up on will be the best...

I've got all my primary pistols in .50SW...This was to allow more interchangeability of rounds...

Exceptions at a few .22lr

Now I know the .40 isn't everyone's choice....But it has been my carry/duty pistol since 1992...

Now as other have said...don't count on finding ammo in a SHTF

But I'd stress trying to have as much interchangeability between weapon platforms...

My standard firearm are...
AR-15...Rifle and Pistols...All 5.56 Nato

Shotguns...All 12Ga

Pistols (primary) .40SW

Few .22lr for the kids.

Now this has me down to stockpiling only 3 different rounds
5.56 NATO 855's and older 193's (193's were before the 855's...Still have about 10K left) Total 20K
.40SW Have about 10K
12GA Have right around 4K but haven't counted it...

and a few cases of 22lr

I used to have close to 20 different calibers and a couple of k each..,.

Going to standard rounds has allowed me to stock much more ammo for all the guns than before..

Yes I have a few hunting only guns as well...(They are sentimental so I'm not selling them)...But these are not counted on in a SHTF scenario...And not setup for it.

So bottom line...
I know the best round is one you can afford to stock up on...

A .22lr with lost of ammo is way better than a desert eagle with only 2 loaded mags...They will run out SOON and then your gun doesn't go bang anymore.

I used to have a really nice .44mag Eagle...Sold it and bought 1 AR-15 Rifle and 2 12G Riot Guns and Still had money left for ammo...

Now I'm not a paycheck to paycheck living type of person...But One .44Mag tied up 3 guns and ammo...It's what is more important...

So for budget minded you may want to go with 9mm it's cheaper...Works about the same...But it was not available in all the guns I wanted here...So take that into account.

Glock and Other MFG's don't make 9mm in some of their sizes...And I wanted them...

Enough of my ramblings...

If you have unlimited money...Buy every caliber and stock 2-3K each...Should be fine...
If you have decent money...I say pick a few calibers and types and then stock them...
If you on the lighter end of the scale...Then pick a caliber and weapon platform that you have the funds to support...
Like I stated earlier ammo make the weapon work...So if you can't afford to stock rounds in say .40SW HST...maybe pick a cheaper platform.

One last note...
Pick a reliable weapon...
If you have lots of funds...Wilson 1911's are great...
If you have less funds...Then maybe Glock is for you...

But whatever you pick make sure it's reliable...
The price point might be great on a weapon...But if it doesn't feel right or it's prone to issues then it's useless to me at least...

I build all my own AR-15's now...Have had too many issues with "Gun Experts" not doing something correct and causing a malfunction....And run them quite a bit before they are deemed reliable and placed in my racks

As for Pistols (Ar's excluded)...I buy Glocks quite often...And Sig's...Even Kimber and Wilson...Even looked at the SW Glock knock off's
But my pistol racks are 95% Glock...I stock Parts for Glocks and have the ability to work on them here right in my gun room...

So depending on your budget pick a weapon platform that is reliable and affordable to you...And also feels right as well...

Rounds on target are the key...If your weapon doesn't feel good...You won't shoot it good...

Last ramble...

i don't believe in "Training" ammo...

Shoot what you are going to use...It may cost a bit more...But I've seen instances where your "Duty" ammo will cause issues not seen with the training ammo...Especially on shotguns.

B

sneak
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 6:34:08 PM
Glock 19 9mm for the win!!
MTPD
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:50:43 PM
[Last Edit: 6/19/2012 10:12:52 AM by MTPD]

Why in the world would your AR stay in the safe during a SHTF situation???

A pistol is a personal self-defense weapon to be carried for small scale, isolated, surprise attacks = armed robberies, rapes, aggravated assaults, car jackings, etc. AR's are for larger scale SHTF situations = gang attacks, race riots, WWIII, etc.

That being the case (IMO) a small pocket pistol that is always with you is the "best" type of handgun to carry for small scale surprise attacks because it IS always with you. Caliber? 9mm, 38, 357. Make? KAHR, Ruger, S&W, etc.

Muad
Drinking the Kool-aid
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 9:22:15 PM
Before I went to the 1911 platform, I had a Glock 23C with a 9mm conversion barrel, and a .357sig barrel. I wanted to add a .22LR conversion, and I figured I had a great survival setup; basically 4 guns in one with only needing a few components to carry along to convert. I miss that pistol, but love my 1911 way more. I might pick up another one at some point.

IMO, .22LR is the best survival round, since you can carry almost 10x the amount of rounds in the same area as almost any of the other "standard" calibers.

Previous Page
Page:  / 3