Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2012 10:17:09 PM EDT
I'm trying find a canteen.  Perferably 2 quart and can be used for boiling.  Anyone know one that fits the bill?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You’re looking for a two-quart canteen that you can boil in?  The only 2 quart canteens I know of are the USGI models, but they’re soft plastic.  You can find some decent, large stainless water bottles such as the Nalgene/Guyot that can be used to boil; the larger Kleen Kanteen bottles (64 fl oz/2 quart) is the only one I can think of and can be used to boil in…just make sure to get the single wall designs.

Kleen Kanteen 64 fluid ounces = 2 quarts

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You’re looking for a two-quart canteen that you can boil in?  The only 2 quart canteens I know of are the USGI models, but they’re soft plastic.  You can find some decent, large stainless water bottles such as the Nalgene/Guyot that can be used to boil; the larger Kleen Kanteen bottles (64 fl oz/2 quart) is the only one I can think of and can be used to boil in…just make sure to get the single wall designs.

ROCK6

You can boil with the one you linked?  In the description it says not to use hot liquids if that really means anything.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 2:51:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
You’re looking for a two-quart canteen that you can boil in? The only 2 quart canteens I know of are the USGI models, but they’re soft plastic. You can find some decent, large stainless water bottles such as the Nalgene/Guyot that can be used to boil; the larger Kleen Kanteen bottles (64 fl oz/2 quart) is the only one I can think of and can be used to boil in…just make sure to get the single wall designs.

ROCK6

You can boil with the one you linked? In the description it says not to use hot liquids if that really means anything.

That, I believe, is simply legal CYA-speak so that the mfr will be insulated (No pun) against dummies who fill grip the canteen when it is scalding hot.

The main thing is to remove the cap entirely from any canteen before heating up the contents.  Otherwise, pressure can build up within the canteen, and it can rupture, perhaps causing injury, and certainly damaging the canteen.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have several of the Nalgene/Guyot liter sized bottles. I have boiled water in them a number of times without any problems. With the cap removed you can use a cable setup (instructions can be found on line) to move the bottle in and out of the fire without getting burned.
They are a bit large but you can heat enough water for your freeze dried meal and have plenty left over for coffee. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Two quarts is a lot of water to be boiling, unless you are trying to disinfect water.

My inclination would be toward multiple smaller bottles. A lot handier. And a lot less expensive.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have several of the Nalgene/Guyot liter sized bottles. I have boiled water in them a number of times without any problems. With the cap removed you can use a cable setup (instructions can be found on line) to move the bottle in and out of the fire without getting burned.
They are a bit large but you can heat enough water for your freeze dried meal and have plenty left over for coffee. I highly recommend them.

I use the 1L insulated boiling cup that came with my esbit stove and transfer the water into my nalgene from there.  I've made coffee many mornings like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Main reason I'm buying it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If a 1.5l one will work, I just got these very neat French military canteen sets in. They are a 1.5qt aluminum canteen, US style cup that fits it, and the cover.

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/fralcacupand.html

I have been very impressed by the quality.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/68652e78.jpg

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordered one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Like this. Seems hard to locate these.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
If a 1.5l one will work, I just got these very neat French military canteen sets in. They are a 1.5qt aluminum canteen, US style cup that fits it, and the cover.

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/fralcacupand.html

I have been very impressed by the quality.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/68652e78.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm.  IIRC, there is a seldom-seen canteen cup stove that is compatible with the unique French canteen cups, and the inclusion of both slip-over stove and cup requires the dual snap arrangement on the pouch.

More important is the pouches' attachment method, and some pix might be useful.

Lucky I brought a few home! I just snapped a pic.

It has the old US style wire attachment, and a wide belt loop. One of my customers got 2 and 2 MOLLE/ALICE adapters, since they have the eyelets, they worked to hook it on via the wire hanger.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/e71dc1b5.jpg

No clue on a stove for it.

That cover could mount onto molle right? Even if I attach it by zip ties.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Great, now I need to locate the French canteen stove thingy. This is going to turn into another Swedish-type great hunt for canteen/cookset/mess-Kit accessories.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Got my French Military canteen today.  Very impressed with the quality. Fits my needs perfectly.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn you guys!! this thread cost me money.

Where do I get one of those French stoves???????
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's my next quest. My canteen should be delivered tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

eBay has some good listings for canteens, cups and stoves.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No to rain on anyone's parade but that's the stuff I started out on way back when Captain Noah ordered me off the Ark.  I've moved on since then.  

I still have my canteens even a old WWII desert one, but I'm stuck on lexan bottles now and a matching stainless cup that goes on the bottom like the old canteen cups.  Its just a stain friendlier material, see through so you know what's in there, graduated so you can take out what you need, and a nice big wide mouth so you can not only put solids in there but attached directly to a good water filter.  

If I had to go back and look at the canteens I liked most, it was actually the old western style 2 qt round with the felt sides and throw over the shoulder strap.  They were great.  You could wet those sides and the evaporation actually kept them cool at least way cooler than an Army canteen with its pouch wetted, something to do with fast evaporation I guess.  Problem is so many cheap plastic knockoffs were made, its hard to find one of the old metal style anymore, but they're out there.

Tj

TJ, are you referring to this? The subject of this thread has been something I was looking into but didn't want to start from scratch since I have the Nalgene bottles and Maxpedition molle carriers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No to rain on anyone's parade but that's the stuff I started out on way back when Captain Noah ordered me off the Ark.  I've moved on since then.  

I still have my canteens even a old WWII desert one, but I'm stuck on lexan bottles now and a matching stainless cup that goes on the bottom like the old canteen cups.  Its just a stain friendlier material, see through so you know what's in there, graduated so you can take out what you need, and a nice big wide mouth so you can not only put solids in there but attached directly to a good water filter.  

If I had to go back and look at the canteens I liked most, it was actually the old western style 2 qt round with the felt sides and throw over the shoulder strap.  They were great.  You could wet those sides and the evaporation actually kept them cool at least way cooler than an Army canteen with its pouch wetted, something to do with fast evaporation I guess.  Problem is so many cheap plastic knockoffs were made, its hard to find one of the old metal style anymore, but they're out there.

Tj

TJ, are you referring to this? The subject of this thread has been something I was looking into but didn't want to start from scratch since I have the Nalgene bottles and Maxpedition molle carriers.

Yes, that's what I use with the Lexan bottles, which most call Naglene but that's a brand.  There's all sorts of carrying systems and the wide mouth, you can throw in ice.

I bought my cup from Campmor, quite a few of them really.  They fit the Naglenes and are graduated for cooking.  BTW, They sit on ebist stoves etc. a lot better than the lop sided GI cups.  You're not pot holding as much.  

Tj

Thanks! I agree the old metal, round canteens were awesome. I had one as a scout and then lost it over the years. Good memories with that one.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Tj

Every single one of those I ever owned (back in the '60's) leaked, which, while I guess was a good thing for keeping the felt wet, also kept my pants wet.

My pref is the standard 1 qt, Vietnam era canteen with the older cup that had the handle that folded under rather than the batwings.  The only thing to beware of is that you want the cup to cool down before you stick the canteen back in it  Yeah, I did.  Of course, that was back when the canteens could be had for $1.50 all day long at any surplus store.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Better to have more than one in smaller containers. One container will be bulky. I would go, get (3) 24oz  small stainless steel containers = 72 oz which will cost you 5 bucks each or so. The Kleen canteens are horribly expensive and you will probably pay 40 or more bucks easily for one. Just get the ones with no paint color on them. Put 2 inside your pack and the other on your belt or in a pouch outside the pack.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Better to have more than one in smaller containers. One container will be bulky. I would go, get (3) 24oz  small stainless steel containers = 72 oz which will cost you 5 bucks each or so. The Kleen canteens are horribly expensive and you will probably pay 40 or more bucks easily for one. Just get the ones with no paint color on them. Put 2 inside your pack and the other on your belt or in a pouch outside the pack.

That's good advice...two containers, even if only one is stainless steel.  A simple collapsible Platypus, Nalgene or other type of "soft" canteen is a good addition.  You can at least boil in the stainless and pour into the other container or while one is being treated the other is potable...rotating to keep water treated.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Shoot, just take some 3/16" dia aluminum rod. Bend up an identical handle and bottle insert, and a connector piece. Insert one end of the contraption into the neck of the bottle, and it will pick up the bottle straight every time. Put a crook in the connector, and it will hold the handle off the bottle so it doesn't get hot

Oh, well, another idea given away for free.

I have to admit, I am much more of a visual learner so by any chance do you have a pic of this setup?

I also have to admit I'm somewhat confused by your advice. To paraphrase, you are basically recommending a "system" or bottle, cup, filter, carrier, etc. that if not necessarily all designed and built by the same company are at least designed to all fit and work together. That part I get and fully agree with, so much so I've already been working on my own kits consisting of Nalgene\Guyot SS water bottles, GSI Glacier Cup/Pot, Katadyn filter, etc. in a Condor pouch but it seems that you already have that combo and don't care for it?

That's what I'm confused about, the Nalgene SS combo seems to be almost exactly what you recommended but yet you don't care for that specific combo? Is it just about the weight\bulk of that combo or are there other aspects of it you do not care for?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#35]
OP,

I think any kind of food grade SS bottles have liners in them that extreme heat will damage. I would advise boiling your water in a metal pot or canteen cup, then filling your canteen.

The USGI issue canteens/cups are pretty hard to beat, and replacements are found anywhere. I have several, and my favorite is stamped 1941 :)

The current issue canteens went down to a thinner plastic that is more susceptible to melting if they get too close to the fire, though they do save on weight a bit. I personally prefer the 70's to early 90's issue ones that have thicker walls. They just hold up! With the canteen cup fitting perfectly inside it, it's just the best system out there, I think––for the money spent.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I find a lot of great things on eBay for great prices, but the only 2 qt canteen I know about is the USGI canteen, I don't think you can boil in these but you can get a metal canteen cup._
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I use the Snow Peak Titanium Solo Cookset.  It all nests on the bottom of a nalgene.

Doc

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I think this is a good one
Swiss canteen
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#39]
OP, I know this isn't what you posted that you are looking for, but it's cool, and someone else reading the thread might like it.  I got this set:

Granted, I've only gotten to use this a couple of times, last Oct, will post my own pics after wife has this kid and I can get out again.

I got it at http://www.canteenshop.com/

They used to be closely associated with Dave Canterbury, before he got the job with Discovery.  Now, not so much.

I think the entire kit was made in the USA.

Need to get some gel wax and make some good firestarters
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP,

I think any kind of food grade SS bottles have liners in them that extreme heat will damage. I would advise boiling your water in a metal pot or canteen cup, then filling your canteen.

The USGI issue canteens/cups are pretty hard to beat, and replacements are found anywhere. I have several, and my favorite is stamped 1941 :)

The current issue canteens went down to a thinner plastic that is more susceptible to melting if they get too close to the fire, though they do save on weight a bit. I personally prefer the 70's to early 90's issue ones that have thicker walls. They just hold up! With the canteen cup fitting perfectly inside it, it's just the best system out there, I think––for the money spent.

There is no need for a liner in food grade SS...that is the whole point of the food grade requirement. I have been boiling water in them for about 3 years and have tested the water ( I am not gonna drink anything that will harm me) and it tests out fine ...if not a little higher in iron! LOL)

Aluminum is an absolute no no as they DO have a lined inside to keep them from corroding (usually and epoxy mix).

I get the 18/8 food grade ss bottles and just make sure there is nothing on the outside. Even chinese made ones work well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I use the Snow Peak Titanium Solo Cookset.  It all nests on the bottom of a nalgene.

Doc

So do I Doc...it also fits the big 40ox Kleen canteen in ss.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

There is no need for a liner in food grade SS...that is the whole point of the food grade requirement. I have been boiling water in them for about 3 years and have tested the water ( I am not gonna drink anything that will harm me) and it tests out fine ...if not a little higher in iron! LOL)

Aluminum is an absolute no no as they DO have a lined inside to keep them from corroding (usually and epoxy mix).

I get the 18/8 food grade ss bottles and just make sure there is nothing on the outside. Even chinese made ones work well.

Are you saying I should not boil water in this?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

In the cup sure... for the canteen it depends if it has a coating on the inside, my guess is no.  (most of the surplus is straight aluminum)
The newer aluminum canteens that are offered at dept stores every where all have a teflon or epoxy coating on the inside so as to help the aluminum from oxidising due to beverage storage.  This would be very bad to boil.  
Straight wall aluminum canteens (no coating) are suposidly not good for storing liquid in for any period of time. Though I am sure it will be fine for interval type ussage.  I know I have a couple mess kits that are aluminum etc.
If you keep your eye open you can find stainless steel water bottles for cheap.  I picked up some 24oz Stanley SS water bottles for 5$ each (closeout at wally world) They work great as a watterbottle and boiling.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

In the cup sure... for the canteen it depends if it has a coating on the inside, my guess is no.  (most of the surplus is straight aluminum)
The newer aluminum canteens that are offered at dept stores every where all have a teflon or epoxy coating on the inside so as to help the aluminum from oxidising due to beverage storage.  This would be very bad to boil.  
Straight wall aluminum canteens (no coating) are suposidly not good for storing liquid in for any period of time. Though I am sure it will be fine for interval type ussage.  I know I have a couple mess kits that are aluminum etc.
If you keep your eye open you can find stainless steel water bottles for cheap.  I picked up some 24oz Stanley SS water bottles for 5$ each (closeout at wally world) They work great as a watterbottle and boiling.

Is there a way to tell for sure if it has a coating?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No coating inside those French canteens, you can boil no problem.

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#47]
This How Its Made video shows how the metal canteens that are popular now are made, including how they powder coat the inside (skip to ~2min for inside coating).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J_Rnf_aKd-0[/youtube]

youtube link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top