Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:00:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you.  I just learned abou these things and plan to get one or two.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That is the same one I used on the TN trip. the new one from Tractor supply. It worked great once I figured out the air flow in the tent. lol. I still need to get the hose to run mine off a 20lb bottle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
AH..musta been the nite I had that puppy on high. lol. yea the tanks froze up. It worked out but lessons learned for sure. while some would think just putting a heater in a tent is a no brainer, there is a bit of science and trial and error.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
So is the 4000-9000 btu model pretty decent for general room and garage use or do you guys recommend the larger version?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So is the 4000-9000 btu model pretty decent for general room and garage use or do you guys recommend the larger version?

Go bigger, these sizes are good for small rooms, tents or vehicles. I wouldnt count on it doing much for a concrete garage. Maybe in the immediate area like a fire place, but that would be it. Someone using them in a garage might have better results.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go bigger, these sizes are good for small rooms, tents or vehicles. I wouldnt count on it doing much for a concrete garage. Maybe in the immediate area like a fire place, but that would be it. Someone using them in a garage might have better results.

Yeah thats more what I meant, something near me more than to keep the whole garage warm.  I never realized these were ok to use indoors.  Learn something new here every day
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
for a 10' x 10' space itll work good. They are designed for indoors, even have a "tip off" switch that will shut em off if they fall over.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Mr. Heater Heater buddy is a catalytic small propane heater

Open-flame - not catalytic.

Catalytic heaters use a platinum-impregnated pad that allows the propane/air mixture to burn at a much lower-than-normal temperature - so low that it won't ignite a piece of toilet paper held directly against the pad while the heater is operating. It greatly reduces the chance of igniting clothing or anything else that might accidentally come in contact with the heater, but also adds considerable cost (due to the expense of the platinum). Also tends to produce more radiant heat than open-flame heaters - warms distant objects, rather than the air immediately around the heater.

Example of a catalytic heater
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Great little heaters. Around here they go on sale at the big box stores in march for $30.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:30:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a tough buddy, big buddy, and I gave my mom and sister an older portable buddy heater. Now I am going to have to buy a new portable buddy at the end of the season.....thanks TJ.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I got my self a Big Buddy for Christmas. I used it for the first time yesterday. All I can say is-WOW. It really puts out the heat. I put it in a 6.5x12 bunk house and after 10 min on low had to cut it off. And that was without the fan running. I got it,the fuel filter and hose adapter from Northern Tool for $129 ( It was on sell and I had a $25 off coupon).
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a pic of mine, a couple of seasons old and still running strong.  Love being able to hook up the larger refillable tanks.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Catalytic heaters use a platinum-impregnated pad that allows the propane/air mixture to burn at a much lower-than-normal temperature - so low that it won't ignite a piece of toilet paper held directly against the pad while the heater is operating. It greatly reduces the chance of igniting clothing or anything else that might accidentally come in contact with the heater, but also adds considerable cost (due to the expense of the platinum). Also tends to produce more radiant heat than open-flame heaters - warms distant objects, rather than the air immediately around the heater.

You know I don't want to get into this but will say, requires platinum to be catalytic is a market ploy.  Catalytic as an engineering term simply means has catalyst which in the case of the Heater Buddy is a wire mesh over the ceramic core that provides a secondary burn for a more complete burn.  An open flame implies no secondary burn simply an open flame.  The difference is an open flame heater does not remove CO while a catalytic heater does by means of a secondary burn.  What metal is used as the catalyst doesn't really matter as long as what is used works.  

Tj

There is a reason why  manufacturers of heaters that use ceramic blocks (like the Buddy heaters) do not refer to their products as "catalytic" heaters.

From a practical standpoint, there is a huge difference in the way these two types of heaters operate. Ceramic block heaters will readily ignite a flammable material that touches them; catalyst pad-type heaters won't.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here is a pic of mine, a couple of seasons old and still running strong.  Love being able to hook up the larger refillable tanks.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/Woodsman20/heater-1.jpg

Yours go out frequently? Mine is a steaming pile of shit. Tried a few of the fixes, no dice. Steaming pile.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#18]
The big buddy has the knob that will also ignite the pilot light as you turn it so it seems to me they are just consolidating things a bit.

I am happy with my old ones but I do have a habit of picking up new ones as they get discounted.

I have 2 really good kerosene tower heaters right now from when they want on discount a year or two ago.

I use a filter when using the rubber hose and a big propane tank on my buddy heaters.  I had problems with my very early buddy heaters clogging up the line to the pilot light, and with no pilot light they won't run unless you start modifying them.

I might look at the new ones, then again they might be all bought out since everyone seems to be looking for stuff when it first goes on clearance.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know I don't want to get into this but will say, requires platinum to be catalytic is a market ploy.  Catalytic as an engineering term simply means has catalyst which in the case of the Heater Buddy is a wire mesh over the ceramic core that provides a secondary burn for a more complete burn.  An open flame implies no secondary burn simply an open flame.  The difference is an open flame heater does not remove CO while a catalytic heater does by means of a secondary burn.  What metal is used as the catalyst doesn't really matter as long as what is used works.  

Tj

There is a reason why  manufacturers of heaters that use ceramic blocks (like the Buddy heaters) do not refer to their products as "catalytic" heaters.

From a practical standpoint, there is a huge difference in the way these two types of heaters operate. Ceramic block heaters will readily ignite a flammable material that touches them; catalyst pad-type heaters won't.

Then I suggest you write a letter to Coleman and straighten them out.

Not sure what your point is. All the Coleman "catalytic" heaters I've seen or owned actually were catalytic heaters.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Timely discussion.

Needed a small heater for deer/duck camp.

Picked one up today.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yours go out frequently? Mine is a steaming pile of shit. Tried a few of the fixes, no dice. Steaming pile.

Mine never goes out unless I turn it off or tilt it, I can leave mine on and come back in 2 hours and it is still running as long as there is gas in the tank,  I have no filter or mod's between my unit and the tank.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine never goes out unless I turn it off or tilt it, I can leave mine on and come back in 2 hours and it is still running as long as there is gas in the tank,  I have no filter or mod's between my unit and the tank.

Mine's been great, but the fan went out after only a couple hours.  Oh well, it was noisy anyway.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine's been great, but the fan went out after only a couple hours.  Oh well, it was noisy anyway.

It's a known issue with them... after about 20 minutes or so, the pilot light will flicker... and eventually go out, killing the heater. supposedly oil or moisture gets in the lines and plugs stuff up. And from what i've read, the only way to fix it is to send it back in.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#24]
When they go out, don't overlook a dirty O2 depletion sensor.

Also when they go out due to 'frozen' up propane 1# bottles, it's often not due to moisture but instead the propane being cooled by vaporization down to a temperature that insufficient propane vapor 'boils' off inside the tank to support the burner.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

When they go out, don't overlook a dirty O2 depletion sensor.

Also when they go out due to 'frozen' up propane 1# bottles, it's often not due to moisture but instead the propane being cooled by vaporization down to a temperature that insufficient propane vapor 'boils' off inside the tank to support the burner.

yep. look up propant tank specs. they will specify a max amount of btu per hour that can be used. if your tanks keep freezing up, then upgrade to the next larger size. I have a dyna-glo version of the big buddy. sometimes the pilot gets clogged and needs a thorough cleaning. Thankfully, i have a commercial size ultrasonic cleaner

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#26]
The knob on these new ones is a bit different from my older big buddy with a knob that does the spark.  Took a little bit of messing with it to get used to it but it is not too bad.

I don't see any issues with the new ones, I picked one up because I just had an older little one get finicky so until I clean up the old one I wanted a small one that worked.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I just bought my first Big Buddy a month or so ago and freaken LOVE IT. Heats up my 20 x 20 garage in minutes and recently took it as backup to the inlaws cause we stayed in their nice big camp trailer which has heat. Last time we stayed in it the propane ran out in the middle of the night so I  brought the BIg Buddy this time and sure as shit, damn propane ran out again at 1am and was 4 degrees outside. Cranked up my BB heater and was comfy all night, on medium setting.

Having the fan on the Big Buddy seems to really help circulate the hot air.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
UPDATE!

The all in one light button knob on the unit I bought at Christmas sucks.  I've taken to using matches to light the stove, they're ten times faster.  I much prefer the old stoves with buttons in the back, you have way more control over the gas and a much larger spark to ignite it.  This one on my unit has worn out to almost not effective in about 20 lights.  

Tj

Wow, that's pretty limited in usefulness.  I hope they get a lot of returns for repair and upgrade the parts to last.  Now I wish I bought an older unit.   I'm still running my Coleman though.  

Thanks for the tip on venting high and low in the tents.  I have USGI mummy bags and a new to me untried current mil type so I generally just bag up and hunker til the morning.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wow, that's pretty limited in usefulness.  I hope they get a lot of returns for repair and upgrade the parts to last.

Maybe we'll get a chance to buy refuburbs on Woot for 20 bucks apiece!

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Can the little green tanks be refilled?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not supposed to be.   I can't find anyone local who will on the side either.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
These spark things, you keep sparking it till the gas gets through the line so it can light.

Are you guys doing it right (or is my big buddy different)?  On mine you're supposed to just hold the switch down to start the propane flowing, then after it is, you then twist it to initiate the spark and ignite the pilot light.  If you twist as soon as you push it down you'll spark it too soon and it won't work that way.  Once I figured out to hold the switch down for four or five seconds before I twisted it––- mine lights the first time every time.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if you could retrofit a barbecue piezo sparker to the new version.

Even if it wouldn't fit inside the enclosure, you could probably mount it in a small box attached to the outside.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Even if it wouldn't fit inside the enclosure, you could probably mount it in a small box attached to the outside.

The newer ones effectively are barbecue lighters.  They are piezo electric and mine (at least) works great.  

Ignition steps:

1.). Depress switch and hold down until you have sufficient fuel to ignite (4-5 seconds seems good usually).  Keep switch depressed....

2.)  While keeping switch depressed, twist it counterclockwise causing the piezo unit to spark and ignite the fuel.

3.)  Continue to hold switch down until thermocouple is sufficiently heated to maintain pilot open position.

I'm at work, or I'd post a vid or something.  Maybe tomorrow if I get a chance.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The newer ones effectively are barbecue lighters.  They are piezo electric and mine (at least) works great.  

Ignition steps:

1.). Depress switch and hold down until you have sufficient fuel to ignite (4-5 seconds seems good usually).  Keep switch depressed....

2.)  While keeping switch depressed, twist it counterclockwise causing the piezo unit to spark and ignite the fuel.

3.)  Continue to hold switch down until thermocouple is sufficiently heated to maintain pilot open position.

I'm at work, or I'd post a vid or something.  Maybe tomorrow if I get a chance.

The one I have absolutely doesn't work that way.  It clicks on the way down depressing the stem and has no movement in the depressed state.  We may be talking different models.  

What I can tell you is the one I have worked fantastic till about light 20-30 and now its PIA, easier to use a match.  I don 't have Big Buddy.  

Tj

OK, dang, that is weird.  I'll have to look and see if the new ones around my area still are made like mine.  Mine is a big buddy that I bought at Tractor Supply about 3 years ago I think.  I hope they are still made the same way as mine.  It makes sense the way mine is, but the way companies cut corners these days I guess anything is liable to show up whether it makes sense or not.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Great little heaters. Around here they go on sale at the big box stores in march for $30.

Same here. That's how/when I got mine last year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, pretty easily really.

You buy the hose kit, turn the fill tank upside down, place the smaller tank below the level of the upside down fill tank, then open it up and let it fill.  Its a good thing to hang onto those plastic covers and reuse them after filling.  After those valves on the small tanks are opened once, they tend to leak a little and those plastic lids hold just enough pressure back to prevent that most of the time.  

You turn the fill tank upside down so you are filling with the liquid form of the gas not the gas form. Its really gravity filling the tank not pressure.  The pressure equalizes very fast.  Where the big tank to heater buddy hose is a tank adapter to male connector, the fill hose is a tank adapter to female adapter.  

There's a number of threads on the topic on the site but that's about it really.  

Tj

So if you refill off the big tanks is there any worries about the refill gas being dirty?  I like the idea but saw above people were saying th big tanks are dirty to use and needed a filter.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You buy the hose kit, turn the fill tank upside down, place the smaller tank below the level of the upside down fill tank, then open it up and let it fill.  Its a good thing to hang onto those plastic covers and reuse them after filling.  After those valves on the small tanks are opened once, they tend to leak a little and those plastic lids hold just enough pressure back to prevent that most of the time.  

You turn the fill tank upside down so you are filling with the liquid form of the gas not the gas form. Its really gravity filling the tank not pressure.  The pressure equalizes very fast.  Where the big tank to heater buddy hose is a tank adapter to male connector, the fill hose is a tank adapter to female adapter.  

There's a number of threads on the topic on the site but that's about it really.  

Tj

So if you refill off the big tanks is there any worries about the refill gas being dirty?  I like the idea but saw above people were saying th big tanks are dirty to use and needed a filter.

The hose is the reason for the filter more than dirty gas. The hose bleeds stuff that clogs the heater because of the high pressure.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tj

The hose is the reason for the filter more than dirty gas. The hose bleeds stuff that clogs the heater because of the high pressure.

Yep, but its also the hose over a period of time, not just filling tanks.  The rubber hoses lose integrity with time under pressurized gas.  It leeches out its elastomers causing it to flake.  

Most people who use the hose and 20 gallon tanks just for camping or short-term emergencies never see the problem let alone just filling.   Running a tank day in and day out, I really think you are better off with the "green" hose, which I believe is Viton and doesn't leech as bad.  The filter protects the stove but the hose is still going to leech into the filter with time.

Tj

Ah ok thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Well you guys have done it again, I hadn't really had something like this on my prep items list but after reading this and another thread about them being on clearance at Menards I picked one up.  I got the big buddy for $81 plus I have a $10 dollar rebate to send it taking it down to $70.  I also already had $20 to use at Menards so after everything said and done for around $65 I got a big buddy and 4 coleman tanks (I such a sucker for a deal).  With how good this things are sounding on here I'm almost considering going back and picking up another.  I'm waiting right now for my D cells to recharge to test it out with the fan on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top