Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/9/2011 3:24:36 PM EDT
What is your TEOTKAWKI rifle and pistol?

Mine is an AR-15 in 5.56 that i built and am very familiar with. I practice and train with it as much as possible. I keep a CMMG 22 conversion in my BOB along with 2 mags and 300 rounds of CCI Stinger. I like the idea of having 22 for small game or even self defense if i run out of 223. I figure having it is worth much more than the room and weight it takes up.

Pistol would be a Glock 17. I own a lot of handguns but seems i always stick with the Glock. Its lightweight, high capacity, ammo is common, and has never failed me. Lately i have been thinking how much i like having the option of 2 calibers in the rifle which is pushing me towards buying a Glock 22 so that i can keep a 9mm barrel, couple mags, and ammo with me. Could this be the best all around option in a pistol? Is the extra weight worth having an extra caliber option?

One of the reasons im thinking about the Glock 22 is its what my local LE all carry so ammo is common. Maybe it could be found easily after "the world has ended". Should this be something to consider or should that not matter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
i have a different twist on this concept. the po-po are not going to sell, give or let you borrow any ammo.  you need to stock or create your own. i have little faith in .22 rimfire rounds.  unless using expensive match quality, they are unreliable at best.  i reload at a cost of $3.50 / box of 50 rounds. this is cheaper than match 22 rimfire ammo.

i went with the ruger redhawk in 45 colt and a marlin lever action also in 45 colt. first these guns are simple in mechanical design and damn near bullet proof. the 45 colt in these guns can be made to mimic some factory 45-70 loadings. the lever action can be fired pretty fast and topped off as you shoot.

on my dillons i can churn out 500 rounds in an hour provided i have components. i cast my own bullets.  i have 3,000 pounds of lead stocked up. (82,000 bullets).  in its standard loading, 250 grain bullet 875 fps, the 45 colt uses 8 grains of powder per cartridge. that nets me this 875 pulls of the trigger per pound of unique.  by the time i run out of stored powder i will have perfected the art of making small batches of black powder (yes i know i have to pee on the compost pile for months), as the 45 colt loads well with bp. so now i just need to increase my stock of primers.  82,000 primers is a lot of primers.

i'm not bugging out anywhere; i live on an island; therefore i prep.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My end all weapon combo is the FN FAL rifle and Glock 19 .  I have G22 as well but I like using the G19 with Glock 18  thirty three round mags in my G19. I wouldn't mind using the AR platfourm  for bugging out as it is lighter and I can carry more ammo than the FN FAL but I am assuming that I won't be running a gunning a lot. That is why I have my BOV so I don't have to carry to much weight. Where I live out in the desert I think the 308 round makes a bigger impact at the longer ranges that I would likely be shooting at. For close in work I would rely on my Glock.  For the FN FAL I have a couple of 30 round mags but would only carry 7 to 9 mags total as I just don't see a need more weight. I mean ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Love the AR for the same reason everyone else does.  Lightweight, easy to break down and service, high cap mags, very common effective caliber but you should have a 5.56 chamber.  9mm is probably the most common caliber in the world and there are many excellent choices for pistols.   A decent, reliable 12 gauge shotgun offers the most versatility of any firearm. You can hunt anything from quail to deer - or anything else you could take down with a slug.  And it's the gold standard for home defense.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i have a different twist on this concept. the po-po are not going to sell, give or let you borrow any ammo.  you need to stock or create your own. i have little faith in .22 rimfire rounds.  unless using expensive match quality, they are unreliable at best.  i reload at a cost of $3.50 / box of 50 rounds. this is cheaper than match 22 rimfire ammo.

i went with the ruger redhawk in 45 colt and a marlin lever action also in 45 colt. first these guns are simple in mechanical design and damn near bullet proof. the 45 colt in these guns can be made to mimic some factory 45-70 loadings. the lever action can be fired pretty fast and topped off as you shoot.

on my dillons i can churn out 500 rounds in an hour provided i have components. i cast my own bullets.  i have 3,000 pounds of lead stocked up. (82,000 bullets).  in its standard loading, 250 grain bullet 875 fps, the 45 colt uses 8 grains of powder per cartridge. that nets me this 875 pulls of the trigger per pound of unique.  by the time i run out of stored powder i will have perfected the art of making small batches of black powder (yes i know i have to pee on the compost pile for months), as the 45 colt loads well with bp. so now i just need to increase my stock of primers.  82,000 primers is a lot of primers.

I was thinkning along the same lines. While I don't have near the resources you do, I would probably choose my GP100 and Marlin 1894C.  Both in .357/38.

If I were to go a little more conventional, I would go Glock 23 and LMT Defender. I have shit tons of ammo for both.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I do own a lever action 357, goes well with my M&P340 thats my EDC... But if SHTF or the end of the world came i would be too worried they arent high capacity enough or ammo would be too scarce. I dont reload, but i do keep 10k rounds of 223, 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp. I also LOVE my 12ga shotguns and as of tonight i have 1000+ birdshot, 500 of each 2 3/4" slugs and buck, but its just a home defense and desert gun. My way of thinking is to pick 1 rifle and 1 pistol that would best meet the criteria of SHTF then train and practice with them more than anything else. I own 40+ guns but sometimes when i go shooting its just the AR and G17 that go with. I love my FN SLP, M1A Socom, Savage 10FP 308, 1911, and others... But they do not serve a SHTF purpose aswell as the AR and G17. Yes, there are situations i would much rather have the Savage i can hit 800 yards with or the SLP i can use buck in, but if it came down to needing rapid close quarter fire im screwed. I also plan to bug in so i try to keep everything i would need on hand, but theres always that "what if" scenario if i had to leave what goes with. I own a big truck so i can fit plenty of food, water, gear, guns, and ammo but then again "what if" there is no other choice but to walk, well then i would grab the AR instead of the SLP or M1A because of capacity and weight. Same goes with the M&P340 or 1911 or Taurus Judge or Kahr CW9, the G17 wins out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My AR and my Beretta PX4 in 9mm...nothing but 100% reliability.  Accurate and goes bang, bring on the Zombies!
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I would choose a 357 revolver/levergun combo.  Specifically my 686+ Mountain Gun and Marlin 1894c levergun.

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 1:26:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The AR is too fancy and cumbersome for SHTF use.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to cram everything I need into my BOB.  Ultimately what I found was that, gram for gram, my AK with synthetic furniture and folding skeleton stock packs down smaller in a higher state of readiness than my AR.  No SBR setups are allowed in NY so barrel lengths are equal.  I just don't have room for all that AR buffer tube.  I could split the upper and lower but then I have twice as much stuff to stow and a rifle that is not ready to go if I need it.  AK packs a bigger punch and I won't lose any sleep over its reliability. AK wins.

Sidearm is a Glock 17.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I just decided to to with a Daniel Defense M4V1 and an HK USP45.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I like your style

While my SHTF/TEOTAWKI first line aren't .45LC, both the Redhawk and a good lever gun in that caliber are on my list.  I've been lusting after one of those 4" .45LC Redhawks for quite some time, and the last .45 lever gun I picked up (A Rossi) weighed about half of what my AR does.  Yeah, seven rounds ain't much, but every time you pause, you can top off the tube, and that has an elegance of its own.

I wouldn't feel a bit under-armed carrying your choices.  All of these guys who think they're going to need to blanket the world with lead are mental masturbating.  If you fire four or five shots in an encounter, that's a lot.  

And if TWAWKI E's, you all are gonna find out that the guys who spray bullets won't have any after a fairly short time, while the guys who pick targets will.  What was it the guy said?  "you can't miss fast enough to win?"

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Any rifle and pistol combo I happen to have ready to go with ammo.

Right now that would consist of an AR-180 (first gen) and a Eaa witness 10mm.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Remington M-700 in .30-06, and SA XD .45 tactical.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#14]
AR15 and Sig 226
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#15]
scar 17 and sig p220r
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]
ak in 762 and g17.

if  i can thave  those it'll be a mauser in 308 or 792 ( barring any ammo shortages lol ) and the g17
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#17]
M4 with a Fail Zero bcg, and a 40 caliber Glock with a 9mm conversion barrel from Lone Wolf.  Yes your 40 cal mags can work with 9mm in them but if you're to scared to do that buy a few 9mm mags for the conversion barrel.  You are adding less than a half of a pound to your load out for the comfort of knowing you can shoot to very common pistol cartridges.  Your 22 conversion is also a nice idea.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I still feel rifle wise an AR with a 22 conversion is unbeatable.  You're pretty much guaranteed to be able to find ammo be it scavenging or trading.  Not to mention 500 rounds of 22 and a 22 conversion on your person adds minimal weight AND space.  Add a suppressor and you have pretty much unnoticable hunting for squirrels and other little things to gobble up if need be.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I think whatever combo you are comfortable with will work. The chances of needing it to fight off hordes of zombies or anything else approaches nil.

Some areas of the country an under the radar approach makes some sense. A run of the mill revolver and a lever gun will not stand out as much as an AR and a tactically enhanced handgun, and are less likely to lead to legal issues. I don't know that having them in the same caliber makes all that much difference. It is handy to have just one caliber but I don't know that ammo that works well for a handgun is going to work optimally in a rifle of the same caliber. I have a Browning 44 mag lever gun and a couple of 44 mag revolvers. That is not a bad combo, but it is also not a battle rifle, and some really think that is important for whatever reasons.

ARs are pretty common. In a lot of areas they will not bring all that much attention.

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I think whatever combo you are comfortable with will work. The chances of needing it to fight off hordes of zombies or anything else approaches nil.

Some areas of the country an under the radar approach makes some sense. A run of the mill revolver and a lever gun will not stand out as much as an AR and a tactically enhanced handgun, and are less likely to lead to legal issues. I don't know that having them in the same caliber makes all that much difference. It is handy to have just one caliber but I don't know that ammo that works well for a handgun is going to work optimally in a rifle of the same caliber. I have a Browning 44 mag lever gun and a couple of 44 mag revolvers. That is not a bad combo, but it is also not a battle rifle, and some really think that is important for whatever reasons.

ARs are pretty common. In a lot of areas they will not bring all that much attention.

You're right about the shared caliber requiring a compromise load.  It's almost better to have two completely different calibers. than to have two separate loads in the same type shells if you're trying to optimize the loads for that platforms.  If you're willing to compromise with a little extra flash int the handgun and a little less speed out of the rifle, they'll generally do the job so long as you pick the right job.

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock 23 and light weight AR-15.  If I had the room, I could include a .22lr conversion for each.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Arsenal SGL-21 (high-end AK 47 in 7.62x39 for those in Rio Linda) and Glock 19.  Why?  Reliability and performance, in that order.  I see these as defensive tools, so I want them to work every time and pack an effective punch. Magazine capacity for each is more than adequate to get me through any situation I could hope to survive without backup.  Accuracy is reasonable enough from both to do the job at ranges that can be considered defensive.  I've taken game with both, although I realize they are not optimum for that role in normal circumstances.  A 22lr would be a nice addition for gathering small game, but I know other ways of doing that, and we were limited to one rifle and one pistol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]
AR and Glock 19.

There are alot of good opinions, but this combo fits my hands the best.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Remington M-700 in .30-06, and SA XD .45 tactical.

This for me except my .45 is a 1911

Depending on the situation I may leave the 30-06 at home in favor of a shotgun or 10/22...  It really is a situation dependent question.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I will stick with the AR I built and my .357 mag. I have a ton of ammo and replacement parts for both. Run what you brung.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I have two setups - Marlin 357 and S&W revolver and AK47 and Glock 19.  I shoot the Marlin better than any gun I have ever owned - I would go that route
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#27]
14.5 Mid-Length AR15

Glock 19
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#29]
There are almost too many choices.  My front line choice would be an M4 and Glock 19.  I have enough of this combination to arm my wife and two sons, with magazines, gear, and ammunition.  That said, I hope to never have to use that option.  I hope to bug-in and keep a low profile.  Moving around with the wife and two kids isn't a promising situation, and would be a last resort.  My concern would be primarily for guarding the home from people out and about looking for trouble.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Glock19 and Saiga (.223)
9mm and 5.56/.223 is everywhere and I've got a lot of it stocked.

As for LE and mil types not willing to let go of their ammo or gear...wait till times get tough enough. I assure you that some of them will barter. They have families to feed as well. I know, because I've been there...
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#31]
12.5" AR (it now has a 3X magnifier)

And a Sig P220 SAO

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#32]
I like the AR-15, Remington 870, and Glock 17 combo.  Ammo, magazines, and parts for each readily available.

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well I have enough guns if this was the Civil War, I'd be on my way to being a Colonel.  For a combat type scenario, I'm very fond of a high cap 5.56mm and .45 acp but I'd like to think I'm also wise enough to choose which two best fit a given scenario.

What I can tell you is unlike most SHTF dreamers, I don't see a long gun of any type being my primary weapon choice in almost any given scenario that is remotely possible.  Yes, its the superior weapon but trying to come up with a scenario where it is necessary to conceal your weapon or the bad guy doesn't have the first move is almost impossible.  It is however pretty easy to come up with many that will get a lot of unwanted attention to shoot this guy first to arrest that guy.  That means the handgun is the primary weapon and the long gun secondary.  

Next on handguns, too many people put too much emphasis on quantity of fire vs quality of fire.  If you are not a police officer then we are not charged with apprehension in life but the exact opposite.  My grandfather use to sum this up nicely as "The only people legally allowed to have a gun in their hand are the police. The rest of us are free targets"   They are charged with apprehension.  What this means to us even in some SHTF scenario is the likelihood of us going around with a gun in our hand is very slim.  That means the bad guy gets the first move.  How fast we can deploy our weapon then and how accurate we can place those first couple of rounds is more critical than being able to dump a magazine closing our eyes and hoping one of them hits.  Its not likely the Creature from the Black Lagoon is coming after us and more likely some criminal smiling at us or acting like he's just passing us.

I'd carry a Howitzer is it would fit under my coat and drew fast.  

Going down the path then if the bad guys get the first move, there's a good chance they get drop on us and disarm us.  Man, I know a lot of people this has happened to in real life.  This is why many cops carry backup concealed handguns.

So to say as an answer to your what, other than going to war, about any crime scenario where I'd be looking at being on foot just me or my family, my choice would be probably my XD .45 or a 1911 with my Ruger .380 LCP on my ankle or stuck in a pocket.  

Tj

Good point about a rifle not being necessary or practical in any SHTF scenario we might actually see. I dream of blasting zombies with my M4, but the chance that could actually happen is pretty darn slim. I could definitely see how a rifle could do more bad than good if the day came when you have to resort to being on foot. You have to wonder if its worth the attention it would draw.

What about a rifle that fits in your pack? Such as a Kel-Tec SU16. Its definitely not quick to deploy but a pistol will be your primary protection. Maybe a rifle like the Kel-Tec would be good for hunting and protecting camp? It weighs 6 pounds loaded with 2 mags and 41 rounds.

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#34]
If I had to grap something (rifle and pistol ) right now it's be my Sig556 along with a USP Tactical in .45 although in survival/defense/hunting a 12 gauge would be way more versital and plentiful
But I feel that you can not go wrong with a AR or AK and 1911, Glock or good quality revolver
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Highly modified M4gery and a 1911 .45
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Match grade AR with ACOG, G17
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#37]
ar15 and glock 17.

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#38]
scar 16s
fn 45 tactical

or

any m4
glock 19
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd either go heavy with a FNP-45 Tactical and SCAR 17, or go lighter with an AR-15 and Beretta 92FS. Depends how much ammo I want to carry, with the smaller caliber 5.56mm and 9mm weapons I can carry more compared to the heavier 7.62mm and .45acp ammo, but my pack will weight the same either way. For the end of the world type deal I'd probably learn more towards the lighter setup.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Me my Glock 17,and my M1 Super90. My girl Glock 17,and a Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Glock 19 for a pistol as its compact, reliable and holds lots of bullets.

AA 6.5mm Grendel AR for a long gun. Does away with the whole 7.62 VS 5.56 argument. Ammo is not an issue for me.
I'd grab my 16 inch gun for most things, if I needed something really compact then my 12.5 inch would get the nod.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Ar 15 and a Glock 19!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#43]
LEE ENFIELD, and my XD 45gap

but in all seriousness it'd be either my ar/ak (currently ak, as i have more ammo for it) and my XD45acp or my XD 40... eventually i'd like to get a 9mm barrel for the 40. but funds do not permit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#44]
JR Carbine and whichever Glock takes the same mags sounds like a good plan to me. I have the 9mm JR now, might start looking for a G17 or G34 in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
JR Carbine and whichever Glock takes the same mags sounds like a good plan to me. I have the 9mm JR now, might start looking for a G17 or G34 in the near future.

I like your style. I bought this thinking i'd pick up a G21 to go with it, but i ended up not liking the large frame on the Glock.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style. I bought this thinking i'd pick up a G21 to go with it, but i ended up not liking the large frame on the Glock.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/Gunbroker/DSC04538.jpg

Nice.

I have a G20SF now, but 10mm in a blowback carbine is a bad plan. The spring would have to be so heavy it would require a kickstart.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#47]
A pair of "47s." An Arsenal SGL-21/94 AK-47 and a Phillips & Rodgers Model 47 Medusa 4". (Though an AR and a G19 w/ .22 conversions probably makes more sense.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#48]
One of my AR's and a Glock 19. Might grab a shotty also. I think a .22 would have it's value also. Suppressed Ruger MKIII.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
One of my AR's and a Glock 19. Might grab a shotty also. I think a .22 would have it's value also. Suppressed Ruger MKIII.

If you had to go on foot would you carry 3 or 4 guns?

That was kind of the purpose of this thread. I would love to have my whole arsenal of 40 guns, but thats just not going to happen. While looking at all of my guns i was trying to think which would be the best all around to have with me if i needed it.

I think the AR with 22 conversion is the best choice in a rifle hands down. As much as i love the rest of my long guns i just cant see any of them being more practical than an AR.

Now the question is which AR to use.

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#50]
5.56mm AR and G17 for me
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top