Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2011 7:33:38 PM EDT
UPDATE 3/17 - Received the pack.  It appears like new and it is complete with the appropriate shoulder straps, waist belt and top.    It does not have the radio pouch but that's a $5.00 item listed on the website.  If the upper straps were not taped to reduce length, I might have thought this had not been used.  It's clean and does not have any holes or tears or any repairs.   The white ISDN tag on the pack is still white, on most used surplus stuff these get dingy pretty quick.  The shoulder straps and the waist belt are clean and do not show any wear. I'm pleased with it.  It's my new GMH bag.
I came across this and thought I'd share the info.

USMC MARPAT Main Pack Backpack | Gen II

Designed by ARC'TERYX Equipment Inc.

• Made expressly for the United States Marine Corps

• Detailed components:

• Shoulder strap assembly

• Molded back pad

• Frame sheet (removable)

• Aluminum frame stay

• Lumbar pad

• Pack suspension components:

• Upper load stabilizers

• Load distribution struts

• Lower load stabilizers

• Sternum strap

• Shoulder strap adjusters

• Hip belt buckle

• Compression straps

• Made with Cordura 720 denier fabric

• Large 4500 cu in. main sack

• Designed to carry up to 120lbs

• Zippered access to main pack on both sides

• Zippered pouch in top lid

• Shoulder straps, sternum strap, and hip belt adjust to fit you

• Extra comfort and padding in both the shoulder straps and hip belt

• Side pocket on each side

• Optional divider to separate the main pack into two compartments

• $159.99

That's for the complete pack with lid, belt and shoulder straps.  I do not think it includes the radio pouch but Uncle Sam's has those also for $5.00

https://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/USMC-MARPAT-Main-Pack-Backpack-Gen-II.html

I am not affiliated with Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet other than being a taxpayer.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You forgot a pic...

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I run an Arcteryx Bora 80 as my main pack.  The Marine version i believe is based on the Bora series.
Great pack, holds loads of gear (easy to overload yourself), w/ great suspension.

I would call, email, or otherwise contact the seller on this one.  I looked into finding a surplus ILBE when I was pack shopping.  Most of the packs surplused out have had the straps cut, are missing the top "lid" pocket/pouch, and/or have otherwise been defaced or rendered inoperable.  If they are in good shape, most places charge a premium for them becasue for all intensive intents and purposes, they are an Arcteryx pack $$$.

The photos on the site look good, but they also look like the stock photos from Arcteryx/Propper, not of an actual surplus pack.  Not to pee in your cheerios, but make sure what you are seeing is what you are getting.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay away from the Assault pack. Its an uncomfortable bitch also there are TONS of better options.

As far the ILBE goes. I liked mine. Generally you will want Gen II that is NOT surplus. For them to surplus these things they must first be issued then run in the field. Then once the field has had its way they are sent for new recruit training once they are beat down from that they get surplussed out. Find a new one on ebay for a little bit more 50 bucks maybe and youll find yourself much more happy.

Mystery Ranch also offers modification of ILBE and MOLLE Main packs to fit the MR NICE frames.

FYI the ILBE Packs are made by Propper.

You can also call Arctyrx and order different belts and straps for these since they are the same as the leaf packs.

I found the waist belt too stiff and slightly uncomfortable, the same with the straps. However the main pack is very well made and designed (Rivals my Mystery Ranch 6500 and Kodiak however their frames kick the shit out of the ILBE suspension system.) I would own another and actually and planning on picking up one of the Recon ILBE's.

There are Gen 1 and Gen 2 as well as a 2nd Gen II version that is designed differently and considered a long term sustainment/expedition class at around 7000cu (Hard as hell to find).

I would like to know the actual grade/condition of their packs. Good price if it looks like the picture. (Pictures are stock photos and highly doubtful the packs are in such pristine condition.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Cant speak for the pack in question but I did order and receive the marpat assault pack from them and it was 90% or better. Honestly could have passed for new if I didnt find an ear plug in it.
Also have ordered from uncle sams many times with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
thats  a pretty nice pack. i might have bought one of them, instead of the blackhawk rucks i bought two weeks ago. however, the blackhawk is a really nice pack as well, and i dont regret buying them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

...becasue for all intensive purposes...

this is one of my pet peeves.  to help you avoid sounding like a yokel, i am going to help you out, free of charge.

you are meaning to say "...for all intents and purposes..."

you are welcome

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:39:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

this is one of my pet peeves.  to help you avoid sounding like a yokel, i am going to help you out, free of charge.

you are welcome

I is now an edumacated Yokel.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
If I could afford it, I would much rather have this pack from mystery ranch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I could afford it, I would much rather have this pack from mystery ranch.

wow, that pack would look great on my gear pile, in closet, where I stash all my stuff I never use.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are welcome

Don't use the yokel as your escape goat

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#12]
update in op
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I ordered one of these and it was deliverd in less than 2 days (OH to IN shouldn't be to long) on standard UPS shipping. The pack is in great shape. I would say 95%. There is a little dirt on it but I couldn't be happier for the price. It has the shoulder straps, waist belt and top. Great pack at a great price.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

you are welcome

scapegoat champ scapegoat
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are welcome

scapegoat champ scapegoat

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Az
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered one based on your feedback.. Hope I get a good one too..
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Is the Large USMC Assault pack, also offered by same vendor, and also made by same mfr, designed to mate/interface with the larger ILBE pack?
They do mate, mate.  There are two female atttachment buckles at the bottom of the main pack which connect with two (what appears to be) dedicated male buckles on the assault pack on the lower portion.  At the top of the main pack there appears to be 2 more dedicated female attachment buckles that connect to the male upper compression straps of the front of the assault pack. This is what the author of this webpage alludes to when he says buckled down and tightened.  

ETA-Mine even had the original manual/instruction sheet in the bottom and there are pics of the complete system and that appears to be how it attaches,

http://www.ilbepack.com/  

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If anyone else is interested in these I have a couple laying around, they are used but complete(main pack, seat belt, head pouch) with buckles and zippers working.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Im a big guy so I dont really like the small 3 day packs but that looks excessive. Having something that large would only make me want to try and fit all I  could into it, which I foresee problems with. Of course I wouldnt make it 100lbs+ for practicality's sake but I would put items I wouldnt normally consider in it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#22]
My packs arrived today. I ordered both the main and assault packs.

The main pack looks new with some very minor exceptions. You have to look hard to tell. About the only way I could tell it was used is that there was a Pine tree needle in it.
The assault pack looks new and included several originazation panels like a med pack would have.

Once I get a chance to jack around with it Ill post more info..

I very happy with the purchase.

Anyone have a USMC use/care manual for these..?
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok. The panels my assault pack came with are the medic/corpsman panels. Looks like they are designed to hold IV bags, etc...
Some will work well to use in it as a BOB... I would like to find something that shows how they are to be used.

ETA: Conveniently, the IV bag pouches fit a 32 oz nalgene bottle just right.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
The large assault pack is actually a Corpsman Assault Pack.  It is considerably bigger than the regular assault pack.  It would be a very unwieldy load to have that strapped onto the back of the regular pack.  I doubt anyone would do it for long.  I don't have the full sized pack, but I don't think they are designed to interface.  I may be wrong.  Can someone who got both post pics?
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I think your right.
It would be easy to overload everything.

ETA - The quick releases seem to line up.
I'm thinking that if you used the Corpsman assault pack to carry what it is designed to carry it would not be too heavy but if you pack it all as a bob it could get very heavy very fast.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd like to find a TM on this pack. I've cobbled one together from ebay. So far,
it seems pretty stout. Only missing a couple of the black buckles. I'll be using it
for boy scout campouts and such so no hard use here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Did I miss it?  Did not see a price on that link.

PITA45

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#29]
A note for anyone looking to get one of the main packs.

I am 6' tall and when I went to fit the main pack I found that the distance between the hip belt and the shoulder straps was too short but if I adjusted the straps up then the load lifters became ineffective and the straps were still to low.. Looks like I will need to find some aluminum stock the right size to make new (longer) stays.

Andy..
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I have one of the assault packs. It's OK, not very many pockets etc.....I bought it cheap though at the local surplus store so I can't bitch. I got it with the Camelback bladder for $30.

The Corpsmans pack looks like one hell of a nice pack, lots of compartments etc...I like having all my stuff organized that way.

Anyone got any comments on the latest Marine Corps pack? Apparently they have a 4th Gen out now???
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok, it's a no-go on longer stays. The pack suspension system just isn't that adjustable. Looks like the straps that I thought were "load lifters" (intended to take the load off the top of you shoulders and place it on the front" are really there as the adjustment for shorter/taller people. At least that what ends up happening for someone my height. It's still a good pack, just better fitting for someone say 5,7-5,9 or so than someone 6' tall..I will still use it. I just cant carry as much of a load.

I have a Kelty Kodiak that has an outstanding suspension system, I think it's by Mystery Ranch, that I will use for larger loads.

The Medic/Corpsman pack is great. It's just the right size for my purposes and for the load the suspension system fits me just right.
The medical inserts that look like they are intended for IV bags etc just happen to fit a 32oz nalgene bottle and MSR filter just right..

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ok, it's a no-go on longer stays. The pack suspension system just isn't that adjustable. Looks like the straps that I thought were "load lifters" (intended to take the load off the top of you shoulders and place it on the front" are really there as the adjustment for shorter/taller people. At least that what ends up happening for someone my height. It's still a good pack, just better fitting for someone say 5,7-5,9 or so than someone 6' tall..I will still use it. I just cant carry as much of a load.

I have a Kelty Kodiak that has an outstanding suspension system, I think it's by Mystery Ranch, that I will use for larger loads.

The Medic/Corpsman pack is great. It's just the right size for my purposes and for the load the suspension system fits me just right.
The medical inserts that look like they are intended for IV bags etc just happen to fit a 32oz nalgene bottle and MSR filter just right..

So I am 6'4.  Guessing this wont be the pack for me.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got one in the other room that I was issued. I hate the pack. I always feel like all the weight is on my sholders. When I release the waist buckle the weight on my sholders feels the same. I'm 6'1" if that helps anyone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got one in the other room that I was issued. I hate the pack. I always feel like all the weight is on my sholders. When I release the waist buckle the weight on my sholders feels the same. I'm 6'1" if that helps anyone.

is it the version 1 or 2?

KaBar3 ... PM sent to u...
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've got one in the other room that I was issued. I hate the pack. I always feel like all the weight is on my shoulders. When I release the waist buckle the weight on my shoulders feels the same. I'm 6'1" if that helps anyone.

The weight should be on your waist and the shoulder straps provide stability and control.

This is a good guide to fitting/loading a pack.

http://www.gayoutdoorclub.org/Sports/Backpacking/Howtofit1.html
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got one in the other room that I was issued. I hate the pack. I always feel like all the weight is on my shoulders. When I release the waist buckle the weight on my shoulders feels the same. I'm 6'1" if that helps anyone.

The weight should be on your waist and the shoulder straps provide stability and control.

WTF

ETA: No offense meant.

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#37]
So?  They play good music.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 3:56:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF

Guess you were paying more attention than I was....
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF

Guess you were paying more attention than I was....

I clicked on it sitting beside my wife on the sofa. I seen the URL and thought to myself, it would be awkward if the wife seen me looking at something like that.

Link Posted: 3/31/2011 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Regardless of the origin, that's some decent fitting instructions. REI, EMS, and most top-line pack mfrs have similar on-line instructions, although some vendors/mfrs instructions aren't as good.

Get over trivial things, people.
Just so you know, I read the instructions also. Yep those are good instructions. I was funning with the OP. I don't think anyone was dissing Gays/homosexuals. Just having a good laugh at their expense.

Link Posted: 3/31/2011 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#42]
To those that think the pack is too short:

You know that you can adjust how far up the shoulder straps come out of the pack right? If you can find a copy of the use and care card it will show you how it's done. In a nutshell:

Place pack on the ground so the hip pad and shoulder straps are facing up. Look at the trapizodal pad that the hip belt intersects (very bottom pad), note that it fits under the big pad that covers most of the back facing side. Lift the bottom of the big pad up (the narrow "tail") and pull the trapozodial pad free of the velcro. You will see the hip belt and frame stays, note that underneth the large pad that covers most of the back of the pack there is a plastic pannel that the shoulder straps attach to. This pannel is held on to the back of the pack with velcro, stick your hand inbetween the plastic pannel and the pack to seperate the velcro and free the shoulder straps. Pull them up or down as needed. This is hard with a new pack and easy with an old one (one of the flaws of the design).

I've had plenty of tall Marines use this pack with out any real issues. The only problems we typicaly have are small females using the pack that need a size small hip belt. It's not a bad pack but it does not play as nice as it should with body armor. It is supposed to be replaced some day, but there is no replacement pack on the horizon yet. The ILBE does not age well, they can be worn out fairly quickly carrying standard Marine loads, which shouldn't be a problem for most of you (I hope!).

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 3:33:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You know that you can adjust how far up the shoulder straps come out of the pack right? If you can find a copy of the use and care card it will show you how it's done. In a nutshell:

Place pack on the ground so the hip pad and shoulder straps are facing up. Look at the trapizodal pad that the hip belt intersects (very bottom pad), note that it fits under the big pad that covers most of the back facing side. Lift the bottom of the big pad up (the narrow "tail") and pull the trapozodial pad free of the velcro. You will see the hip belt and frame stays, note that underneth the large pad that covers most of the back of the pack there is a plastic pannel that the shoulder straps attach to. This pannel is held on to the back of the pack with velcro, stick your hand inbetween the plastic pannel and the pack to seperate the velcro and free the shoulder straps. Pull them up or down as needed. This is hard with a new pack and easy with an old one (one of the flaws of the design).

I've had plenty of tall Marines use this pack with out any real issues. The only problems we typicaly have are small females using the pack that need a size small hip belt. It's not a bad pack but it does not play as nice as it should with body armor. It is supposed to be replaced some day, but there is no replacement pack on the horizon yet. The ILBE does not age well, they can be worn out fairly quickly carrying standard Marine loads, which shouldn't be a problem for most of you (I hope!).

I tried that and it didn't have enough adjustement for me..

How about someone posting the manual...!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've asked twice now.  The following link has also been posted twice in this thread.  Did you check out that site?  A link to the TM is posted there.

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've asked twice now.  The following link has also been posted twice in this thread.  Did you check out that site?  A link to the TM is posted there.

Yes.. Did you ever attempt to access the manual...? The two pages listed are not the complete user manual, just the front and back of the care & use manual..
Take a look at Page 2, item 6. It is a link to the complete manual but is under restricted access....
https://pubs.logcom.usmc.mil

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#46]
The care and use card is it. I went to the link and was able to acess the "manual" it's a fielding plan that breaks down what units get how many packs and what all the NSNs are for the parts and how to send the packs in for replacement.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The care and use card is it. I went to the link and was able to acess the "manual" it's a fielding plan that breaks down what units get how many packs and what all the NSNs are for the parts and how to send the packs in for replacement.

I came across a link I'll find and post that I think may be a user manual but it's .mil.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I am sure that I saw the document that you were talking about. I went to the logcom website, logged in and searched ILBE. There are three documents that are returned; one is a manual for the Source hydration bladder, one is the care and use card, and the third is the manual I spoke of in my last post. I am a Marine so I was able to view them all. The care and use card is the only document I have seen issued with the pack. I don't think there are any other reference documents on this pack, I've never seen any others. You might try e-mailing ARC'TERYX. They may have a civilian pack users manual for the "father" of the ILBE. (the BORA 80?).
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am sure that I saw the document that you were talking about. I went to the logcom website, logged in and searched ILBE. There are three documents that are returned; one is a manual for the Source hydration bladder, one is the care and use card, and the third is the manual I spoke of in my last post. I am a Marine so I was able to view them all. The care and use card is the only document I have seen issued with the pack. I don't think there are any other reference documents on this pack, I've never seen any others. You might try e-mailing ARC'TERYX. They may have a civilian pack users manual for the "father" of the ILBE. (the BORA 80?).

How about this one..?

TM 11003A‐10 (ILBE Pack) PCN: 50011003000
https://pubs.ala.usmc.mil/pubs/50011003000.pdf

This is where I found it at...

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/pmice/Operations/Operations/web_battlebook.pdf
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I checked out ARC'TERYX.

Looks like they come in a short, medium and tall sizes so it looks like their suspension system is not really adjustable for all sizes.......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top