Page:  / 3
Author
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/24/2011 10:17:07 PM
[Last Edit: 3/24/2011 10:22:51 PM by CoyoteGray]

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
I think your right.
It would be easy to overload everything.

ETA - The quick releases seem to line up.
I'm thinking that if you used the Corpsman assault pack to carry what it is designed to carry it would not be too heavy but if you pack it all as a bob it could get very heavy very fast.
Islam wants you dead. Plan accordingly.
USN Seabees.. We Build, We Fight!

smlockeiii
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/27/2011 11:17:45 PM
I'd like to find a TM on this pack. I've cobbled one together from ebay. So far,
it seems pretty stout. Only missing a couple of the black buckles. I'll be using it
for boy scout campouts and such so no hard use here.
pita45
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/28/2011 8:42:05 AM
http://www.ilbepack.com/
Did I miss it? Did not see a price on that link.

PITA45

CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2011 12:58:28 PM
[Last Edit: 3/29/2011 1:02:43 PM by CoyoteGray]
A note for anyone looking to get one of the main packs.

I am 6' tall and when I went to fit the main pack I found that the distance between the hip belt and the shoulder straps was too short but if I adjusted the straps up then the load lifters became ineffective and the straps were still to low.. Looks like I will need to find some aluminum stock the right size to make new (longer) stays.

Andy..

Will
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2011 2:25:06 PM
I have one of the assault packs. It's OK, not very many pockets etc.....I bought it cheap though at the local surplus store so I can't bitch. I got it with the Camelback bladder for $30.

The Corpsmans pack looks like one hell of a nice pack, lots of compartments etc...I like having all my stuff organized that way.

Anyone got any comments on the latest Marine Corps pack? Apparently they have a 4th Gen out now???
" Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God"- From the personal seal of Thomas Jefferson
CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2011 11:11:16 AM
Ok, it's a no-go on longer stays. The pack suspension system just isn't that adjustable. Looks like the straps that I thought were "load lifters" (intended to take the load off the top of you shoulders and place it on the front" are really there as the adjustment for shorter/taller people. At least that what ends up happening for someone my height. It's still a good pack, just better fitting for someone say 5,7-5,9 or so than someone 6' tall..I will still use it. I just cant carry as much of a load.

I have a Kelty Kodiak that has an outstanding suspension system, I think it's by Mystery Ranch, that I will use for larger loads.

The Medic/Corpsman pack is great. It's just the right size for my purposes and for the load the suspension system fits me just right.
The medical inserts that look like they are intended for IV bags etc just happen to fit a 32oz nalgene bottle and MSR filter just right..

LilTate
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2011 11:27:21 AM
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:
Ok, it's a no-go on longer stays. The pack suspension system just isn't that adjustable. Looks like the straps that I thought were "load lifters" (intended to take the load off the top of you shoulders and place it on the front" are really there as the adjustment for shorter/taller people. At least that what ends up happening for someone my height. It's still a good pack, just better fitting for someone say 5,7-5,9 or so than someone 6' tall..I will still use it. I just cant carry as much of a load.

I have a Kelty Kodiak that has an outstanding suspension system, I think it's by Mystery Ranch, that I will use for larger loads.

The Medic/Corpsman pack is great. It's just the right size for my purposes and for the load the suspension system fits me just right.
The medical inserts that look like they are intended for IV bags etc just happen to fit a 32oz nalgene bottle and MSR filter just right..

So I am 6'4. Guessing this wont be the pack for me.....
KaBar3
Don't Tread on Me
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2011 3:32:42 PM
I've got one in the other room that I was issued. I hate the pack. I always feel like all the weight is on my sholders. When I release the waist buckle the weight on my sholders feels the same. I'm 6'1" if that helps anyone.
USMC
LilTate
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2011 3:40:05 PM
[Last Edit: 3/30/2011 4:33:18 PM by LilTate]
Originally Posted By KaBar3:
I've got one in the other room that I was issued. I hate the pack. I always feel like all the weight is on my sholders. When I release the waist buckle the weight on my sholders feels the same. I'm 6'1" if that helps anyone.

is it the version 1 or 2?

KaBar3 ... PM sent to u...
CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2011 6:32:20 PM
I've got one in the other room that I was issued. I hate the pack. I always feel like all the weight is on my shoulders. When I release the waist buckle the weight on my shoulders feels the same. I'm 6'1" if that helps anyone.

The weight should be on your waist and the shoulder straps provide stability and control.

This is a good guide to fitting/loading a pack.

http://www.gayoutdoorclub.org/Sports/Backpacking/Howtofit1.html

TZapp
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2011 9:32:39 PM
[Last Edit: 3/30/2011 9:36:23 PM by TZapp]

I've got one in the other room that I was issued. I hate the pack. I always feel like all the weight is on my shoulders. When I release the waist buckle the weight on my shoulders feels the same. I'm 6'1" if that helps anyone.

The weight should be on your waist and the shoulder straps provide stability and control.

WTF

ETA: No offense meant.

col_hapablap
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2011 10:21:52 PM
So? They play good music.
CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2011 7:56:19 AM
Originally Posted By TZapp:

WTF

Guess you were paying more attention than I was....

TZapp
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2011 5:41:18 PM

Originally Posted By TZapp:

WTF

Guess you were paying more attention than I was....

I clicked on it sitting beside my wife on the sofa. I seen the URL and thought to myself, it would be awkward if the wife seen me looking at something like that.
raf
Sr. Staff, Armory and Outdoors Communities
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2011 6:08:14 PM
Regardless of the origin, that's some decent fitting instructions. REI, EMS, and most top-line pack mfrs have similar on-line instructions, although some vendors/mfrs instructions aren't as good.

Get over trivial things, people.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
TZapp
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2011 7:48:02 PM

Originally Posted By raf:
Regardless of the origin, that's some decent fitting instructions. REI, EMS, and most top-line pack mfrs have similar on-line instructions, although some vendors/mfrs instructions aren't as good.

Get over trivial things, people.
Just so you know, I read the instructions also. Yep those are good instructions. I was funning with the OP. I don't think anyone was dissing Gays/homosexuals. Just having a good laugh at their expense.

Mrf2
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2011 11:03:31 PM
To those that think the pack is too short:

You know that you can adjust how far up the shoulder straps come out of the pack right? If you can find a copy of the use and care card it will show you how it's done. In a nutshell:

Place pack on the ground so the hip pad and shoulder straps are facing up. Look at the trapizodal pad that the hip belt intersects (very bottom pad), note that it fits under the big pad that covers most of the back facing side. Lift the bottom of the big pad up (the narrow "tail") and pull the trapozodial pad free of the velcro. You will see the hip belt and frame stays, note that underneth the large pad that covers most of the back of the pack there is a plastic pannel that the shoulder straps attach to. This pannel is held on to the back of the pack with velcro, stick your hand inbetween the plastic pannel and the pack to seperate the velcro and free the shoulder straps. Pull them up or down as needed. This is hard with a new pack and easy with an old one (one of the flaws of the design).

I've had plenty of tall Marines use this pack with out any real issues. The only problems we typicaly have are small females using the pack that need a size small hip belt. It's not a bad pack but it does not play as nice as it should with body armor. It is supposed to be replaced some day, but there is no replacement pack on the horizon yet. The ILBE does not age well, they can be worn out fairly quickly carrying standard Marine loads, which shouldn't be a problem for most of you (I hope!).

CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2011 7:33:01 AM
[Last Edit: 4/1/2011 7:33:20 AM by CoyoteGray]
Originally Posted By Mrf2:

You know that you can adjust how far up the shoulder straps come out of the pack right? If you can find a copy of the use and care card it will show you how it's done. In a nutshell:

Place pack on the ground so the hip pad and shoulder straps are facing up. Look at the trapizodal pad that the hip belt intersects (very bottom pad), note that it fits under the big pad that covers most of the back facing side. Lift the bottom of the big pad up (the narrow "tail") and pull the trapozodial pad free of the velcro. You will see the hip belt and frame stays, note that underneth the large pad that covers most of the back of the pack there is a plastic pannel that the shoulder straps attach to. This pannel is held on to the back of the pack with velcro, stick your hand inbetween the plastic pannel and the pack to seperate the velcro and free the shoulder straps. Pull them up or down as needed. This is hard with a new pack and easy with an old one (one of the flaws of the design).

I've had plenty of tall Marines use this pack with out any real issues. The only problems we typicaly have are small females using the pack that need a size small hip belt. It's not a bad pack but it does not play as nice as it should with body armor. It is supposed to be replaced some day, but there is no replacement pack on the horizon yet. The ILBE does not age well, they can be worn out fairly quickly carrying standard Marine loads, which shouldn't be a problem for most of you (I hope!).

I tried that and it didn't have enough adjustement for me..

How about someone posting the manual...!!

zirkdog
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2011 5:51:20 PM

You've asked twice now. The following link has also been posted twice in this thread. Did you check out that site? A link to the TM is posted there.

CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2011 1:38:31 AM
[Last Edit: 4/2/2011 1:48:59 AM by CoyoteGray]
Originally Posted By zirkdog:

You've asked twice now. The following link has also been posted twice in this thread. Did you check out that site? A link to the TM is posted there.

Yes.. Did you ever attempt to access the manual...? The two pages listed are not the complete user manual, just the front and back of the care & use manual..
Take a look at Page 2, item 6. It is a link to the complete manual but is under restricted access....
https://pubs.logcom.usmc.mil

Mrf2
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2011 11:05:45 AM
The care and use card is it. I went to the link and was able to acess the "manual" it's a fielding plan that breaks down what units get how many packs and what all the NSNs are for the parts and how to send the packs in for replacement.
CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2011 11:17:33 AM
[Last Edit: 4/2/2011 11:34:36 AM by CoyoteGray]
The care and use card is it. I went to the link and was able to acess the "manual" it's a fielding plan that breaks down what units get how many packs and what all the NSNs are for the parts and how to send the packs in for replacement.

I came across a link I'll find and post that I think may be a user manual but it's .mil.

Mrf2
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2011 12:02:10 PM
I am sure that I saw the document that you were talking about. I went to the logcom website, logged in and searched ILBE. There are three documents that are returned; one is a manual for the Source hydration bladder, one is the care and use card, and the third is the manual I spoke of in my last post. I am a Marine so I was able to view them all. The care and use card is the only document I have seen issued with the pack. I don't think there are any other reference documents on this pack, I've never seen any others. You might try e-mailing ARC'TERYX. They may have a civilian pack users manual for the "father" of the ILBE. (the BORA 80?).
CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2011 6:23:47 PM
[Last Edit: 4/2/2011 6:29:05 PM by CoyoteGray]
I am sure that I saw the document that you were talking about. I went to the logcom website, logged in and searched ILBE. There are three documents that are returned; one is a manual for the Source hydration bladder, one is the care and use card, and the third is the manual I spoke of in my last post. I am a Marine so I was able to view them all. The care and use card is the only document I have seen issued with the pack. I don't think there are any other reference documents on this pack, I've never seen any others. You might try e-mailing ARC'TERYX. They may have a civilian pack users manual for the "father" of the ILBE. (the BORA 80?).

How about this one..?

TM 11003A‐10 (ILBE Pack) PCN: 50011003000
https://pubs.ala.usmc.mil/pubs/50011003000.pdf

This is where I found it at...

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/pmice/Operations/Operations/web_battlebook.pdf

CoyoteGray
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2011 6:43:34 PM

I checked out ARC'TERYX.

Looks like they come in a short, medium and tall sizes so it looks like their suspension system is not really adjustable for all sizes.......

Page:  / 3