Originally Posted By Sir_Peter:
Uline

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sir_Peter:

Originally Posted By Bones45:

Bump for great thread.

Anyone have any suggestions for heavyweight ziploc bags or something to keep small items like band aids organized?  Or can suggest a better method?

People have mentioned superglue several times.  I'd be very careful with superglue as it has a way of getting where you don't intend.  And you would need acetone to remove it.   Not a fan.

Earlier someone also mentioned using Hydrogen peroxide as an oral rinse.  I'm a dentist and it's as bad for mouths as it is for wounds and basically should never be used.  Plain old salt water is far better for emergency oral cleansing.  

As for other oral emergencies, you can get a temporary filling material at walmart which is basically the same as what we use in the office.  It's good for filling holes to keep food from packing or temporarily re-cementing loose crowns.   Toothaches or anything involving swelling probably indicates infection and requires professional care ASAP.  Infections of dental origin can kill you just as quick as any other infection so don't mess around.

Uline

I have been buying them off of ebay. I spent about $20 and got a bunch of different sizes. 4 mil are sufficient. I bout 6 mil as well, but they might just be overkill.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Anyone try Oral IV. What is this stuff Gatorade ?
View Quote

Oral IV is tap water, and works entirely on the placebo effect. Ceralyte or Oral Re-hydration Salts is what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUt-Vz3oqgw
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I posted this over in the Texas hometown section since they're local to me, but I figured y'all would appreciate it more.

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of attending the Lone Star Medics “Medic 1” 2-day course.  My brother (a fellow Arfcommer) and his four kids ages 15-21 also attended.

I’ve had some basic first aid training over the years -  Boy Scouts 22+ years ago, multiple CPR/AED courses, Emergency Medical Dispatch certification.  You’d think the EMD certification would give me a little bit of advanced knowledge, and I guess it does to some degree, but realistically speaking, there’s nothing hands-on about it, and the dynamic is quite different when dealing the patients over the phone.   So, I’ve been wanting to get some sort of hands-on medical training beyond basic CPR and boo-boos.  Not necessarily EMT/Paramedic level stuff, but something a little more realistic and up-to-date and relevant to my needs.

Enter Lone Star Medics and their “Medic 1” course.

Course Description:
This is our most popular two-day course.  This course is perfect for those with little to no previous first aid training.  We will cover aggressive first aid for moderate to severe injuries/illnesses.  Adult, child, infant CPR w/ AED (American Heart Assoc.) will be taught on the morning of the first day. Throughout class, each student will learn by minimal lectures, plenty of hands-on skills practice, and multiple scenarios involving role players. The students will participate in the skills training as individuals and as a team throughout both days. CareFlite will fly out a helicopter, real life missions and weather pending. Some of the subjects covered in this course:

- Medical & Legal Issues
- Body Substance Isolation; Use of Protective Barrier Devices
- Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- AHA CPR w/ AED
- Patient Assessment
- Penetrating & Blunt Trauma; GSW, Stabbings, Crush Injuries
- Medical Emergencies; Stroke, Diabetic Emergencies, Siezures
- Fractures & Sprains; Broken Bones
- Burns; Thermal, Electrical, etc.
- Environmental Emergencies
- Animal/Insect bites
- Heat & cold injuries
- Dehydration & Prevention (Caleb’s favorite)
- Shock; Management and Treatment
- Tourniquets & Hemostatic Bandages; QuickClot, Celox
- Movement of Patients (how, when & when not to)
- LZ operations; CareFlite provides a helicopter
- 911 Communications
- First Aid Kits & Equipment Selection
View Quote

I was prepared to type out a long, detailed AAR for this course, but I’m too long-winded without being as eloquent as I like to think I am.  Luckily, another attendee over on Pistol-Forum.com has posted his excellent AAR there and has described the course beautifully.  I highly recommend you check it out if you’re interested in this sort of stuff.

I had a great time at this course, and the instruction was awesome.  I was especially happy that the kids enjoyed it, as well.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Does a FAK container need to be in a hard case like a Pelican? I understand the importance of keeping the contents dry but a dry bag is lighter and cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Bumping to keep it out of archives. 
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HighLighter:
Does a FAK container need to be in a hard case like a Pelican? I understand the importance of keeping the contents dry but a dry bag is lighter and cheaper.
View Quote
I have IFAK kits in each of our vehicles and they're not in hard cases, just in nylon cases like this
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Garryowen:
DHS is now pushing for civilians to have trauma kits and tourniquets as well as having them prepositioned in public places like they do with AED's.

Links Here for DHS as well as the article in The Wall Street Journal
View Quote
We just got active shooter bags at teh hospital I work at.
Good thread, didn't read it all.
Some things in the first post could be updated. Or not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sircam671] [#11]
tag
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RSIFireRescue:
Thanks LA & Raf!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Two-dogs:

I have IFAK kits in each of our vehicles and they're not in hard cases, just in nylon cases like this
View Quote
Yes you are fine.  i use the small pelcans because they organize well and are sealed.  A wet bag if you pull it out in the rain can mold the paper wrapping or dissolve bandage containers. Double ziplocks work good too
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump to keep out of archives
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump to keep out of archives
View Quote
I'm not sure how long it takes to archive something, but bump for keeping out of archive and because this is a good thread.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Believe archiving is after 90 days. If it didn’t archive before August, a mod has set this thread to not archive.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice and Cheap patient mover

Anyone looking for a way to move someone easily and in the spirit of this thread should take a look. They do make some of a better material but we have had good use of these on multiple occasions
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice and Cheap patient mover

Anyone looking for a way to move someone easily and in the spirit of this thread should take a look. They do make some of a better material but we have had good use of these on multiple occasions
View Quote
Do you have a new URL for that?

In the meantime, anyone have experience with this seller? https://shop.skinnymedic.com/Large-Molle-IFAK-Replacement-Package-lmollerefill.htm
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 12:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lafmedic1] [#20]
@GunnyG
https://www.grahammedical.com/megamover-transport-units/
amazon sells them. For some reason the amazon link wont work
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:52:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Garryowen] [#21]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yosturm] [#22]
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else, but is there a place that sells medical “how-to” cards?

I am thinking something along the lines of a nice plastic card that goes over some of the steps to take if there is a medical emergency along the lines of what all of the tactical blowout/bleeder kits are made to handle.

And don’t say “just get training”, a product like this isn’t necessarily meant for me, it is a force multiplier because now anyone who picks up that med kit and can read has at least a chance of helping out even if completely untrained.

I am honestly surprised I have not run into a product like this yet, or even why everyone who sells shrink wrapped trauma kits doesn’t have something like this included.  Probably a stupid liability thing.

Calling op, though others may know also @lafmedic1
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By yosturm:
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else, but is there a place that sells medical “how-to” cards?

I am thinking something along the lines of a nice plastic card that goes over some of the steps to take if there is a medical emergency along the lines of what all of the tactical blowout/bleeder kits are made to handle.

And don’t say “just get training”, a product like this isn’t necessarily meant for me, it is a force multiplier because now anyone who picks up that med kit and can read has at least a chance of helping out even if completely untrained.

I am honestly surprised I have not run into a product like this yet, or even why everyone who sells shrink wrapped trauma kits doesn’t have something like this included.  Probably a stupid liability thing.

View Quote
I'm not aware of this, but it does seem like a really great product. There's certainly some instances where improper care is worse than no care, but some of the basic and important things (like stopping a bleed) should be able to be covered simply and even a half-intelligent attempt at it is better than letting an artery go free.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#24]
H-Bandages have the directions very clearly printed on the packaging, with images.  SWAT-Ts do as well, in addition to directions on the tourniquet itself.  Both should be able to be figured out easily by any lay person who isn't panicking.

I know that isn't exactly what you're looking for but it's worth consideration when purchasing trauma dressings or tourniquets.  I'm not a huge fan of the SWAT-T but I think the H-Bandage is the best on the market.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else, but is there a place that sells medical "how-to" cards?

And don't say "just get training", a product like this isn't necessarily meant for me, it is a force multiplier because now anyone who picks up that med kit and can read has at least a chance of helping out even if completely untrained.

I am honestly surprised I have not run into a product like this yet, or even why everyone who sells shrink wrapped trauma kits doesn't have something like this included.  Probably a stupid liability thing.

View Quote
@yosturm   Best bet will be used EMS books which can be found for next to nothing because the schools make you buy "new" ones every semester for the oncoming class killing the aftermarket. Some things change IE snake bite, hyper and hypo thermia treatment but bandaging and other treatments just got a nice update in the last few years. I would also try a wilderness medical book. Sadly I do not have any EMR or EMT books that I want to send out. I would suggest brady EMR book to start with and scan the illustrations/directions or make your own from google inages
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
What topics are you looking for? My agency is in the early stages of developing 10 minute first aid primers for the public, and this might be an interesting handout for us to build along side the program. I'd share with the group.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yosturm] [#27]
Originally Posted By RSIFireRescue:

What topics are you looking for? My agency is in the early stages of developing 10 minute first aid primers for the public, and this might be an interesting handout for us to build along side the program. I'd share with the group.
View Quote
Not really sure, it has been almost 10 years since I had combat first aid in the military.

Probably some of the basics plus treating field injuries.  There is a relative standard of medical supplies that tactical types tend to carry around in some sort of IFAK.  Basically all of the companies that sell a little shrink wrapped kit have the same items.

So I would think a little 6”x3” card with some information on how to use the items in the ifak would be useful.  Yes I know that most of the medical items themselves have some instructions written on them, but it is always nice to have it all together in one place.  This can also serve to direct an untrained person as to what medical item to use instead of having to read the directions on all of the items in the IFAK.

So really this isn’t a “first aid how to” card-it probably doesn’t need to discuss how to treat a bloody nose or even describe the cpr steps as I think we all have a basic idea.  Instead this is when and how to use a chest seal, how to properly use a field dressing, etc.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#28]
SWAT-T works and has alot of uses, but it's not a good choice for Primary TQ for self-aid (it's almost impossible to put on yourself one handed and bleeding), Get a CAT or a SOF-T Wide.

The H-Bandage is a great bandage, but I think the Izzy is easier to put on yourself (as does the Military).

The Tactical Medic Coupon Code "ARFCOM" will take 6% off orders of $20 or more
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#29]
What about Combat Gauze that uses Kaolin as an alternative to Quick Clot?  Are there situations where a hemostatic would be desirable at all?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Hemostatics used to cause tissue damage. I am not up to date on the newer stuff. Maybe someone can chime in. I do know that you can take the rolls of cling and pack wounds very effectively
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#31]
There's a few studies out there.  I had a TCCC class from a guy who did was with the team doing some of the pig studies.

Example discussion
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29851903

They the method they taught for a GSW that was bleeding excessively on a limb, use a CAT, pack wound with Combat Gauze, compress with Israeli Bandage, or substitutes for those as needed / available.  Obviously get help asap.

Not my field of expertise but I like to hope my range kit is good to go should an emergency ever arise.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Current generations of Hemostatic agents (Celox, QuikClot, Hemcon) are all very safe with no burning or allergy issues. They're just expensive.

Hemostatic on the cheap if you're not worried about dates (still in sealed packages)...
The Tactical Medic CLEARANCE Section...
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:08:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
One thing I don't see if something for head and neck restraint. 2 days deep in the woods and someone has fallen is not a good thing. Holding traction till help arrives would be next to impossible for 2 people if one is hurt. What is your thoughts on a light foldable cervical collar provided someone knows how to actually apply it properly?
View Quote

It's quite easy to make a C-collar from the SAM splint the OP recommended
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#34]
There is something to be said for planning a bit for your environment to whit, I spend alot of time at shooting ranges.  My choices are heavy on stop the bleed kits, but I add some specific items, like single use superglue (poor mans quick clot, lol), BENADRYL caps and creme, small burn dressings, aloe sunburn gel, and REAL bandaids.   I also carry a 4oz bottle of provodine.   Bandaid tough strips are just about the only option for small wounds because they actually STICK.  Use an Alcohol prep pad before application and they are almost indestructable.  I also always have gorilla tape or 100mph tape handy for both field expedient waterproof dressings and ortho type injuries.  

Also, 1000/1000 of Tylenol and Ibuprofin combined dose has about 80% of the pain relief potential of a couple of 10/325 Vicodin, without being opioid, for most people.  Obviously mind allergies and such, but for times that a real hospital and real meds are unavailable, its field expedient and slightly safer than heroin.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Great thread.
I have college students that dont have two bandaids to rub together.
I  have them make a base Boo Boo kit from old eyeglass cases.From  thrift stores.
Were put bandaids,  neosporen, eye drop,s alcohol wipes, super glue, bic lighter.some cases will fit  the smallest Swiss army knife.

We also made up this kits at out fun club meeting
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 5:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#36]
Speaking of super glue... I have a crown that keeps popping off.

Well, I had it professionally reglued by a dentist a year ago, but it's off again.

Can super glue be used in a pinch, or is it toxic if ingested?

Thanks!
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top