|Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
My local walmart has the lamplight brand on sale for $1 less than the new florasense or whatever its called.
TJ, could you check out my kerosene heater thread. I have just discovered burning mineral spirits.
Careful with that. Mineral Spirits has a lower specific gravity, much lower flash point, and way higher noxious fumes content.
Though I have known folks to burn it for years, I avoid it like the plague or only as a last resort. Even if you ignore the fumes aspect, its way more of a fire or kaboom hazard.
Its really on many peoples "Not Recommended" list for lamps and heaters.
Give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Dietz recommends no fuel with a flash point less than 124 degrees F. Kerosene is around 150 degrees F. Mineral spirits is 110 degrees F. Its not as bad as alcohol or gasoline, but that's getting very close and absolutely no room for error or accident. The specific gravity around 80, ten points lower than kerosene.
What that means is its not going to wick as well, more fumes in the wick, and a much lower flash point so more potential for fume boom, and any spill more prone to flash and burn.
I have a lot of fuels laying about I can use in a pinch, including mineral spirits/paint thinner, but no thanks for normal use.
I may have to be more careful of it in my oil lamps, but it is burning 1000 times cleaner in my Kerosene heater. Flawless. More about that in my kerosene heater thread.