Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2010 3:52:00 PM EDT
I'm looking for an enameled, cast iron dutch oven that is 100% Made In the USA.  I've heard that Lodge sends theirs to China for enameling, so that is out.  My wife is EXTREMELY distrustful of products made in China, so she just will NOT have them in her kitchen.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

What's the name of the company that has all the canning supplies, country remedies, and cast iron cookware?  Is it Lerner or ... what's the name?  I thought they might even be in Pennsylvania but I could be totally wrong about that.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Lehman in Kidron Ohio
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
ty

Does anyone make an enameled dutch oven made in the USA.  Lodge does not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I think this is the company your thinking of.

http://www.columbianhp.com/products/granite%E2%80%A2ware%E2%84%A2.html

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I like to avoid everything made in china.
So I look for made in USA first.
Then look to avoid made in china.

I think Graniteware is or was made in USA. I've seen in stores
it's made in USA. But can not find a web reference stating that.
Might not be available in cast iron.

Made in France: Le Creuset has enameled cast iron.

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an elderly relative that donated a bunch of very old and very good enameled cast iron pots to some charity because they were "too heavy"...  I told her I wish she'd have donated them to me instead.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Why does it have to be enameled?  Kinda defeats the purpose....
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How would enamel make it retain heat any worse?
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you can't find any pure USA made, the Le Creuset is first class although made in France. We have used them for years and can not say anything bad about them.

Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it actually won't heat as evenly with the enameling.  And it won't be as non-stick as a well seasoned iron oven.  And its possible that the enameling will eventually develop small cracks or chips, which through repeated heatings and coolings will get worse and maybe even get into your food.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it actually won't heat as evenly with the enameling.  And it won't be as non-stick as a well seasoned iron oven.  And its possible that the enameling will eventually develop small cracks or chips, which through repeated heatings and coolings will get worse and maybe even get into your food.

On the other hand, it won't present a reactive surface for the liquid in soups/stews/braises either.

As for not heating as evenly, what makes you say that?  As long as the enamel coating is reasonably even, why wouldn't it heat any less evenly?

Link Posted: 12/28/2010 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't find any pure USA made, the Le Creuset is first class although made in France. We have used them for years and can not say anything bad about them.

I am concerned about the full validity of their "Made In France" claim.  Lodge wear is "Made in USA", except they send the cast iron pots to China to be enameled.  All-Clad is "Made In USA" except their lids are made "overseas".  Can you imagine buying a dutch oven for $300 to $500 that is advertised as "Made In The USA" but the farking LID is made "overseas".

Link Posted: 12/29/2010 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I've had a Lodge 6qt enameled dutch oven for about 5 years now and it cooks great, no problems at all, execept it won't allow me to put beans in my chilli.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I've had a Lodge 6qt enameled dutch oven for about 5 years now and it cooks great, no problems at all, execept it won't allow me to put beans in my chilli.

The issue she has is not about whether they actually cook.  The issue is quality and safety of materials.  Would you know if the ceramic had lead or cadmium or some other heavy metal contamination in it?  No, is the answer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Lehman in Kidron Ohio

Could not find any US made enameled cast iron at Lehman's.

Link Posted: 12/29/2010 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Check the bottom of newer Le Crueset. Not all of it is made in France anymore.

OP- Does it have to be new? I swear I've seen an enameled Griswold, but then again it might've been a wagner.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue she has is not about whether they actually cook.  The issue is quality and safety of materials.  Would you know if the ceramic had lead or cadmium or some other heavy metal contamination in it?  No, is the answer.

I understand your concern.
Lodge addresses your concern on their website.

You either believe them or you don't.

Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am concerned about the full validity of their "Made In France" claim.  Lodge wear is "Made in USA", except they send the cast iron pots to China to be enameled.  All-Clad is "Made In USA" except their lids are made "overseas".  Can you imagine buying a dutch oven for $300 to $500 that is advertised as "Made In The USA" but the farking LID is made "overseas".

That is something to be concerned about. I used to work in a shop that makes parts for Harley-Davidson.
That shop makes a lot fewer of those parts because many are now made in china, imported by said shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top