Site Notices
9/2/2014 3:43:50 PM
9/2/2014 1:00:39 PM
Author
Posted: 8/25/2010 2:45:39 PM
There must be a way to do it, I've seen pics of it, I'm just wondering how it's done. I know how to attach the sleep sys carrier, I'm more talking about attaching molle sustainment pouches and the like to the sides of a LG Alice or the top attachment spots on the Med Alice. Anyone have any experience with that?
raf
Sr. Staff, Armory and Outdoors Communities
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/25/2010 5:10:54 PM
All ALICE packs have webbing strips on their back and/or sides to which ALICE gear was intended to be clipped. You can do the same with most MOLLE pouches, especially the smaller ones, whose MOLLE attachment loops are about as far apart as ALICE clips are.

I would have to check to be sure, but IIRC the MOLLE sustainment pouch attachment straps are much further apart than the typical ALICE clips, so they will not properly mate with the existing ALICE attachment points on sides of the LG ALICE.

The Med ALICE has a long, wide ALICE attachment band going around much of the pack, and attaching wide MOLLE pouches there is possible, but doing so would cover the existing pockets on the pack, interfere with the cinch-down straps and their adjustment, plus the MOLLE sustainment pouches are so long that they would not be well-secured by their straps, and would flop around quite a bit. I suppose you could use a horizontal compression strap to tie-em down, but that adds to the issues.

Maybe there is a clever way to do this, but I think you are mostly confined to smaller MOLLE pouches which will fit onto the existing ALICE attachment points, and which, by themselves, are not so big as to cause problems.

IIRC, the so-called "100 Rd Pouch" and the canteen/utility pouch might be good candidates. Double-check pictures of their attachment straps and make sure they are about the same width apart as ALICE clips are. Just remember that even if the MOLLE straps will fit the ALICE attachment points, the longer the MOLLE pouch, the more it will flop around, because the part extending below the ALICE attachment point is not properly secured, as it would be on a MOLLE mounting system.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
HeavyMetal
Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/25/2010 5:31:12 PM
I just ordered a down-east Alice frame. I wonder if the locking buckles on the Molle sleep carrier will lock into the Molle slots in the frame.
I suppose it is possible to convey more ignorance with less words, but I doubt I will ever see it in my lifetime.--Bohr Adam

If LAV promotes using the slide lock/release to chamber a round after a mag change, then he should be ignored.-MP0117
silversam1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/25/2010 7:33:19 PM
I differ with raf in the Molle sustainment pouch on alice packs. I have some on mine and they work fine. I can post pics if you want. They fit on the side of alice where the alice clips would fit. The woodland sustainment pouches work real nice. You can slide the top of the molle straps into the two side alice slots and then snap the molle snaps on the sustainment pouch. You can do the same on the bottom. Will add extra storage on your large alice. If you want more info on it just pm me.
silversam1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/25/2010 7:44:48 PM
Kali110505
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 8:29:49 AM
Tactical Tailor offers a Ruck Sack Modicifiaction for Ailice Packs. You can get left and right side MOLLE Panels. They offer Half and Full Panels. It might be worth it to send it to them for miodification. I have having the modification done as we speak. I will supply pics and my .2 cents. Here is the link to the Tactical tailor web site:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ruckmods.aspx
silversam1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 9:44:34 AM
[Last Edit: 8/26/2010 10:16:04 AM by EdAvilaSr]
Molle sustainment pouch (link to his website edited)

Enough selling for you in the technical forums EdSr
Roadie
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 11:14:32 AM
your pic didn't post, could you try it again, i'd like to see how it looks...thanks.
biere
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 11:38:24 AM
While I have not done it with what is being mentioned I figured I would just say that with paracord all things are possable.

Not always smart to do, but always possable.

Kind of scary having a spool of this stuff around again.

I know some folks use paracord instead of alice clips. If I ever left something alone I could see doing that.

DK-Prof quote
Please do not engage in personal attacks, even if they are correct.
Powderfinger
FINK BIRDS!!!...Stand by for live bait!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/27/2010 1:19:49 PM
See Enforcer's tutorial on the all this.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=506065&page=13
The world's greatest forger is unknown.
HeavyMetal
Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/4/2010 12:18:46 PM
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I just ordered a down-east Alice frame. I wonder if the locking buckles on the Molle sleep carrier will lock into the Molle slots in the frame.

The answer is yes. I could get two of the toggles to lock into the frame.

I suppose it is possible to convey more ignorance with less words, but I doubt I will ever see it in my lifetime.--Bohr Adam

If LAV promotes using the slide lock/release to chamber a round after a mag change, then he should be ignored.-MP0117