BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:39:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Sure, maybe connect the neutrals and earth gnd, place a 110vac lamp between the hot outputs to observe phase difference, place an adjustable load [power resistor] in series with the 2 genny's outputs, fire them up, lower the resistance forcing the gennnies to sync [and reducing dissipated current in the resistor]...

Connect load.

Then, ---stand back...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  It's almost fall.  We ready to figure out how to gang these?

Sure, maybe connect the neutrals and earth gnd, place a 110vac lamp between the hot outputs to observe phase difference, place an adjustable load [power resistor] in series with the 2 genny's outputs, fire them up, lower the resistance forcing the gennnies to sync [and reducing dissipated current in the resistor]...

Connect load.

Then, ---stand back...

Yes, it can be done that way.  Can we come up w/ a more reliable way?  Chain, gears, shaft, or electronic tri-rectifier?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Yes, it can be done that way.  Can we come up w/ a more reliable way?  Chain, gears, shaft, or electronic tri-rectifier?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  It's almost fall.  We ready to figure out how to gang these?

Connect load.

Then, ---stand back...

Sure.  2 big rectifiers to convert to DC, connect in parallel, then a big inverter to get back to AC.

If you want to be a pussy about it. :)

I need to talk to my Dad - over 40 years doing startup and commissioning on electrical equipment, including syncing equipment by hand.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By R2point0:

Sure.  2 big rectifiers to convert to DC, connect in parallel, then a big inverter to get back to AC.

I need to talk to my Dad - over 40 years doing startup and commissioning on electrical equipment, including syncing equipment by hand.
View All Quotes

Connect load.

Then, ---stand back...

What I really "need" is a twin gen setup that spits out 220AC - to run a CHU A/C.  Diesels are too heavy to ship to an APO, and and PARover has proven the HF can be run on rubbing alcohol from the PX..  Having a scalable genny plant that you can add capacity to whenever Harbor Freight has a sale would be quite the advantage.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]

What I really "need" is a twin gen setup that spits out 220AC - to run a CHU A/C.  Diesels are too heavy to ship to an APO, and and PARover has proven the HF can be run on rubbing alcohol from the PX..  Having a scalable genny plant that you can add capacity to whenever Harbor Freight has a sale would be quite the advantage.
View All Quotes

Connect load.

Then, ---stand back...

I just read the entire two pages on  that thread, simply outstanding!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I just went and read through that thread.

One relatively simple thing he failed to try was taking the 70% Alcohol and using fractional distillation to bring it up to 95%+

A small simple solar still sitting inside near a widow could likely process a pint in about 4-6 hours. A stove top unit (2 burner) might be able to crank out about a gallon /hr

Also and old 2 Stroke racing trick was to jet a bit rich then by adjusting your premix oil ratio you could fine tune the air fuel mixture - More oil in the fuel means a leaner mix.

The oil particles suspended in the air/fuel stream coats the parts and passes out (coating the inside of the muffler) and the only bit that burns is what is consumed after the fuel has burned and what little free oxygen is left, due to the slow burn rates much of this happens as the exhaust is exiting and even in the expansion chamber.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Question. Should I replace my blue one with a red one?

I bought the blue version of the generator It has ran fine for about 50 -70 hours. It does have a bit of a knock that it has always been there.
I also bought the extended warranty that runs out 10/10/14.

Should I return it and get it replaced for the red one? Has there proved to be any difference between the models? Any improvements?

I'm somewhat afraid of getting one with worse reliability. I believe they will only replace it once.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
No opinion? (Rare for arfcom)

I've got until tomorrow to exchange.
For now I think I'll keep the blue one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't forgotten about this. Give me another few weeks and things will start slowing down for me to be able to do some tinkering...

We will start up another donation for a second unit to make it happen, unless someone in FL has one to donate to the cause.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]
 I'm in for a half.  There are some folks about here w/ 3-D printers, if we need mechanical adapters.  Should we go mechanical, electronic, or manual electric?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Harbor freight is getting ready for a sidewalk sale, think it's next weekend.
I  bought my last red genny for $40.
May want to check your local stores and see if they have any on clearanc. The one I got worked fine only issue was the box was damaged.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#12]

I'm in for a half.  There are some folks about here w/ 3-D printers, if we need mechanical adapters.  Should we go mechanical, electronic, or manual electric?
View All Quotes

Yes...

I will first see if I can get them to sync and load them down coupled together. I will also see how they could be mechanically coupled for mechanical phasing and 180 for 240 vac output.

Originally Posted By hanau:

Harbor freight is getting ready for a sidewalk sale, think it's next weekend.
I  bought my last red genny for $40.
May
want to check your local stores and see if they have any on clearanc.
The one I got worked fine only issue was the box was damaged.

Thanks for the reminder, saw that on an email. If not black Friday usually has a good sale period.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PARover:  Yes...

I will first see if I can get them to sync and load them down coupled together. I will also see how they could be mechanically coupled for mechanical phasing and 180 for 240 vac output.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

IBT memorial thread.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

What will we be running with 900 watts @ 240v?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Blackoperations:

View All Quotes

I will either borrow some burners from the stove or my 120v toaster with the two elements in series.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PARover:  Yes...  I will first see if I can get them to sync and load them down coupled together. I will also see how they could be mechanically coupled for mechanical phasing and 180 for 240 vac output.

A CHU air conditioner in the Islamic State.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Stopped by HF today to get a free 7 function vom, and the flyer for the parking lot sale next weekend has the genny for $89.99.

I will open the funding... anyone wishing to donate for the second unit (i will be reusing the genny from the alcohol/Charcoal lighter fluid/mothball/fingernail polish remover testing as unit #1) to sync and try to mechanically couple for 240 vac.

email me that your in, and how much you would care to donate, and I will respond with my PP email address for you to gift it to. I will say up front, that I would like to raise around $120 minimum as I will be purchasing gasoline and other hardware to make this happen. The above mentioned go-round wasn't cheap with all the ethyl alcohol, fingernail polish remover and lighter fluid I was out of pocket. I am not looking to make anything out of this, and if there is $$$ left over we can donate it to a good cause.

I should be able to have the free time to get things rolling by November.

PAR
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#20]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PARover:
Stopped by HF today to get a free 7 function vom, and the flyer for the parking lot sale next weekend has the genny for $89.99.

I will open the funding... anyone wishing to donate for the second unit (i will be reusing the genny from the alcohol/Charcoal lighter fluid/mothball/fingernail polish remover testing as unit #1) to sync and try to mechanically couple for 240 vac.

email me that your in, and how much you would care to donate, and I will respond with my PP email address for you to gift it to. I will say up front, that I would like to raise around $120 minimum as I will be purchasing gasoline and other hardware to make this happen. The above mentioned go-round wasn't cheap with all the ethyl alcohol, fingernail polish remover and lighter fluid I was out of pocket. I am not looking to make anything out of this, and if there is $$$ left over we can donate it to a good cause.

PAR
View Quote

Anything new?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Anything new?
View All Quotes

PAR

Anything new?
I was able to pick it up when it was on sale, so far backbencher is the only one who contributed. Now I gotta get the time to do some rigging. I am going to try and do the parallel this weekend, but have a bunch of things on the honey-do to take care of as well. It's coming though.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:14:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PARover:  I was able to pick it up when it was on sale, so far backbencher is the only one who contributed. Now I gotta get the time to do some rigging. I am going to try and do the parallel this weekend, but have a bunch of things on the honey-do to take care of as well. It's coming though.  
View Quote

Come on fellas.  I don't even have a full time job & I'm not retired.  PARover did a beautiful experiment and write up on our favorite generator running on 70% rubbing alcohol.  This project, if successful, would make the little 2-stroke an infinitely-variable capacity generator - just add $89.95 for an additional 900 W of power.  And PARover is quite literally taking the electrical risk for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#24]
How many operating hours are you guys getting out of these things before they're junk?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Come on fellas.  I don't even have a full time job & I'm not retired.  PARover did a beautiful experiment and write up on our favorite generator running on 70% rubbing alcohol.  This project, if successful, would make the little 2-stroke an infinitely-variable capacity generator - just add $89.95 for an additional 900 W of power.  And PARover is quite literally taking the electrical risk for the rest of us.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PARover:  I was able to pick it up when it was on sale, so far backbencher is the only one who contributed. Now I gotta get the time to do some rigging. I am going to try and do the parallel this weekend, but have a bunch of things on the honey-do to take care of as well. It's coming though.  

Electrical risk???  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:
How many operating hours are you guys getting out of these things before they're junk?
View Quote

Interested myself. They don't have an hour meter but some good speculation would be nice from those who have used them extensively.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By gogetumnow:
Interested myself. They don't have an hour meter but some good speculation would be nice from those who have used them extensively.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:

Originally Posted By alphabavo:

Not sure on the long term, but it will run 30+ hours on Rubbing Alcohol/Charcoal Lighter fluid/nail polish remover/moth ball mixture.

In other news. got a commitment for a donation tonight for the parallel tests, should have time Friday after Thanksgiving to get things "fired up". Pun intended.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Hammet is having some issues w/ his starter cord yanking back.  Any ideas?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1689636_Help____My_little_harbor_freight_generator_is_trying_to_kill_me___.html
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:  i thought the marry a man comment was a good fix....
View Quote

That was in GD - this is Tech.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#31]
The estimable PARover is @ it again:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1700723_.html

He's going to try synchronizing two of them to produce 1800 W first....  
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have a genny with a blown motor?

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:20:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#33]
Anyone have a genny with a blown motor?

View Quote

I have not blown one up yet. However, my original one (bought in 2010) is getting harder to start. Sometimes it takes almost 10 cycles, but normally i just spray some carb starter fluid in the intake and it starts in 2 pulls (sometimes 1).

Constantly overloading the unit likely attributed to this hard start concern. This unit has a unknown number of hours, likely close to 500 hours (who knows).

How did the experimental pairing work out? Anyone going to run this thing on propane with some type of drip oil system?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:  I have not blown one up yet. However, my original one (bought in 2010) is getting harder to start. Sometimes it takes almost 10 cycles, but normally i just spray some carb starter fluid in the intake and it starts in 2 pulls (sometimes 1).

Constantly overloading the unit likely attributed to this hard start concern. This unit has a unknown number of hours, likely close to 500 hours (who knows).

How did the experimental pairing work out? Anyone going to run this thing on propane with some type of drip oil system?
View Quote

70% rubbing alcohol not good enough for you?  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1551220_.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Have a chance to scoop up some oil very cheap. What do you think of Spectro Syn Sno? Any issues with running it in the genny or other 2 stroke for that matter? (Stihl chainsaw/whacker).

Bought 1 HF and it had a strange noise/rattle, so it went back...second one is fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Golden Spectro was good stuff back in the day when I used to race.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#37]
$88.88 until April 30th

super coupon code 28246472
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#38]
bump so no archive......
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#39]
So far, mine has been going since June of 2012. I run it for an hour with an 800W heater once a month, and last winter I had to run it for almost 36 hours to provide power for the TV and freezer when we lost power in a snow storm.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
So... instead of reading 42 pages.... Can I get a synopsis/ overall review?  Sorry, I am feeling lazy and would like to get the BLUF (bottom line up front)..  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mpnelson81:  So... instead of reading 42 pages.... Can I get a synopsis/ overall review?  Sorry, I am feeling lazy and would like to get the BLUF (bottom line up front)..  Thanks.
View Quote

It's a $.10/Watt genny that will run on anything from 10% ethanol gas all the way to lighter fluid & 70% rubbing alcohol.  It's 2 stroke, so you have to add oil.  We're working on figuring out how to gang them, the current effort is mechanical rather than electrical.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#42]

It's a $.10/Watt genny that will run on anything from 10% ethanol gas all the way to lighter fluid & 70% rubbing alcohol.  It's 2 stroke, so you have to add oil.  We're working on figuring out how to gang them, the current effort is mechanical rather than electrical.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Mpnelson81:  So... instead of reading 42 pages.... Can I get a synopsis/ overall review?  Sorry, I am feeling lazy and would like to get the BLUF (bottom line up front)..  Thanks.

What he said...And it will run a 6000 watt window air conditioner if you treat it right.  That by itself is worth the $100 it ends up costing you after you buy the generator, a new spark plug and the fuel to break it in.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MongoCaver:
What he said...And it will run a 6000 watt window air conditioner if you treat it right.  That by itself is worth the $100 it ends up costing you after you buy the generator, a new spark plug and the fuel to break it in.

View All Quotes

600 maybe?  
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:

600 maybe?  
View All Quotes

600 maybe?  

Pretty sure he means 6000 BTU/h.

Or half a ton.  But not 1000 pounds.  Nor 500 kilograms.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep, 6000 btu.    A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Mpnelson81:
So... instead of reading 42 pages.... Can I get a synopsis/ overall review?  Sorry, I am feeling lazy and would like to get the BLUF (bottom line up front)..  Thanks.
View Quote

They're good. You should buy one. Get a coupon or sale price.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrZeat] [#47]
I bought one and almost never use it, surged too much, the UPSs hate it if I try and run servers on it... Fridge isn't much better, aside from powering like light weight electric lawn equipment (it powers a harbor freight pole saw perfectly) I haven't got much use out of it. Shortly after I bought a real 30A Champion which runs a million times better and easier so in a power outage thats all that gets used. Electric start and all, for only $300 unless you need to move it around everywhere I'd take that any day of the week.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MrZeat:
I bought one and almost never use it, surged too much, the UPSs hate it if I try and run servers on it... Fridge isn't much better, aside from powering like light weight electric lawn equipment (it powers a harbor freight pole saw perfectly) I haven't got much use out of it. Shortly after I bought a real 30A Champion which runs a million times better and easier so in a power outage thats all that gets used. Electric start and all, for only $300 unless you need to move it around everywhere I'd take that any day of the week.
View Quote

89 or better octane fuel and a non-Chicom spark plug usually take care of the surging. They also run smoother after a tank or two of fuel under load.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Yep, 6000 btu.    A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
View Quote

It will run a 5-6k btu window unit, see page 14:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/632490_Review_of_the__79_Harbor_Freight_Generator__with_pics__56k_noway____update_page_14.html&page=14
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#50]

89 or better octane fuel and a non-Chicom spark plug usually take care of the surging. They also run smoother after a tank or two of fuel under load.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrZeat:

This is the perfect solution, only other thing I can add is that break in time is also important on these units. It smooths out considerably after 25-30 hours of use.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top