User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
i have run both of mine just fine off of 87 with a decent spark plug installed. no knocking at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Duodec:

Wasn't it that the blue unit required 89 octane and the red will get by with regular/87?

i have run both of mine just fine off of 87 with a decent spark plug installed. no knocking at all.
They knock on Charcoal Lighter Fluid.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PARover:  They knock on Charcoal Lighter Fluid.
View Quote

Think electrical or mechanical coupling will be the best avenue to pursue this fall?
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, y'all went and twisted my arm.

HF was having another one of their super duper weekend sales, but I forgot about it until I drove by and saw the tent. So, I pulled in and grabbed up one of these gens. Gonna be runing a skill saw, sawzall, grinder and all that sort of junk on it.

Let the games begin!
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
on sale for 89.00 this weekend. i am damn tempted to buy a third..... i have a problem
View Quote

Me too! This is my third generator.
(first HF gen though)
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait'll we figger out how to couple them, and have an infinitely scalable generator @ .10/Watt.  Y'all are screwed.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#8]
on sale for 89.00 this weekend. i am damn tempted to buy a third..... i have a problem
View Quote

it is a sickness, I tell you
When the sammich maker barks, when I come home with a new one....I just tell her, one of the others are a "loaner". Normally works, plus she has lost track/count/interest.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
$40 As is 5 day return.

Box only damaged and everything looks OK.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Both started on the 3rd pull.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#11]
You did good!
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the blue one already. I picked up a spare and 1for a buddy.
I was out there picking up some Walnut tumbling media and there was 8 of them sitting there.

When I left 10 minutes later 1 was left.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Got her fired up and ran a light for a bit. I actually used some old 50:1 chainsaw gas. Needed to burn it up. Little genny eats it up fine!

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:41:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Must not buy another one......
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:
Must not buy another one......
View Quote

B/c if you bought another one you'd get roped into the ganging project...
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By soldierman79:

(first HF gen though)
View All Quotes

(first HF gen though)

Can't just have a couple of anything... I have four generators: 2 big and 2 little ones... It's another hobby!
My 4th is an Earthquake IG800W... Really light at 21#.... 700 watt rated, 800 peak... Really quiet, too...
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tankdriver] [#17]
Well, I picked up my 89 buck 800 watt red generator. I stopped and got 1 gallon of 87 gas, mixed in my pre-measured oil by Biggs & Stratton. I stopped at Auto Zone and tried to get a new plug, they gave me the wrong one, even though, I gave them a list with the numbers of the ones that would interchange and went home.

Pull the plug, coated the cylinder with a little oil, pulled the handle a few times, reinstalled the crappy plug, filled it up, turned the gas on, turned the choke on, and it started on the 3rd pull, just like most everybody's does. Let it idle till it quit smoking, where I had put the oil in the cylinder.

I then hooked up a 500 watt bulb, and let it run from 2:30pm till 8:00pm on 1 gallon of gas at about 1/2 load. I was pleasantly surprised by how quit it was. I unhooked the light, shut off the gas and let it run till it stopped, then put it up.

I have a business trip this week so I'll run it again next weekend, to finish the break-in for it..

I have a 10kw tri-fuel, and got this as a 1 trick pony. I have WW2 military Dodge WC63, and as 57mm anti-tank gun, and do shows and reenactments, and wanted something that was, quit, light, good on fuel, and will run a 36" fan under a popup canopy.

Looks like it does all things very well.

So far, very pleased.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to add an air conditioner unit that seems to run well with this generator.

Haier 6,000 BTU model ESA406M from BJ's, an Energy Star unit, rated at 5.5 amps. It should be good for up to a 250 sq ft room. The generator bogs down some and smokes for a bit before recovering. The air conditioner blows cold air nicely. I haven't run it for more than a few minutes and I will check the wattage while running when I get a Kill-a-watt.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By faldoc:

I have to add an air conditioner unit that seems to run well with this generator.

Haier 6,000 BTU model ESA406M from BJ's, an Energy Star unit, rated at 5.5 amps. It should be good for up to a 250 sq ft room. The generator bogs down some and smokes for a bit before recovering. The air conditioner blows cold air nicely. I haven't run it for more than a few minutes and I will check the wattage while running when I get a Kill-a-watt.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. <ay have to look into finding one.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soldierman79] [#20]

View Quote

Great news! I have a Haier 5,000 BTU AC at my cabin. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Great news! I have a Haier 5,000 BTU AC at my cabin. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks!
View All Quotes

here you go....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/632490_Review_of_the__79_Harbor_Freight_Generator__with_pics__56k_noway____update_page_14.html&page=14
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:02:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: faldoc] [#22]
Video Proof of Haier 6,000 BTU A/C life with Storm Cat generator.

Note, it is set on Low fan, and Cool, which the unit remembers from the last time it was run.

When it is set of Fan only, the generator doesn't seem to change tone at all. Once you turn it to Cool, it will add throttle, smoke a bit and then chug along like the video shows...

http://youtu.be/pyFbdaYUPBc

This A/C is taking only 4.5 amps/539 watts according to my new Kill-a-watt... blowing out cold air on Low fan/Cool setting after about 10 minutes, seems to be no strain on the generator except slight sagging on start up of the compressor.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#23]
Video Proof of Haier 6,000 BTU A/C life with Storm Cat generator.

Note, it is set on Low fan, and Cool, which the unit remembers from the last time it was run.

When it is set of Fan only, the generator doesn't seem to change tone at all. Once you turn it to Cool, it will add throttle, smoke a bit and then chug along like the video shows...

http://youtu.be/pyFbdaYUPBc

This A/C is taking only 4.5 amps/539 watts according to my new Kill-a-watt... blowing out cold air on Low fan/Cool setting after about 10 minutes, seems to be no strain on the generator except slight sagging on start up of the compressor.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/faldoc/Generator%20related/Haierwattmeter_zps851049a5.jpg
View Quote

sweet, thanks for the review...so now we have confirmed the Frigidaire 5k BTU and Haier 6k BTU a/c models in this thread.

Note the difference in wattage, your killawatt meter shows 539 watts , while the Frigidaire 5k BTU was at 478 watts (@ full speed)...61 watt difference, not significant but, interesting considering a 1k BTU difference:

I have a new 6k btu Fridgidaire that I may try soon, I will post my results.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I've just finished my 25 journey break-in, but the 500 watt light I had started to pop the fuse after about 10 minutes.  I plugged in a small fan and that had no issues.  Could something with the light be causing the fuse to pop?  I
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:36:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#25]
Originally Posted By AaronMN:
pop the fuse
View Quote

If the generator's circuit breaker is tripping with only a 500 watt load connected (and your work light works OK when plugged into a house outlet instead), then it sounds like the circuit breaker is defective. It should be able to easily handle a 500 watt load without tripping.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I've just finished my 25 journey break-in, but the 500 watt light I had started to pop the fuse after about 10 minutes.  I plugged in a small fan and that had no issues.  Could something with the light be causing the fuse to pop?  I
View Quote

If you have a Kill-A-Watt meter, make sure you take the reading on the "VA" setting instead of the watts setting.  The VA setting takes into account losses during power transfer for an inductive (like a light bulb) or capacitive load. The VA setting is more of a real world idea of how much power your genset is giving. The Watts setting on the Kill-A-Watt assumes a 100% resistive load, which rarely happens.

It's possible for the meter to read 500 Watts on the watts setting, but be significantly higher on the VA setting.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:

If you have a Kill-A-Watt meter, make sure you take the reading on the "VA" setting instead of the watts setting.  The VA setting takes into account losses during power transfer for an inductive (like a light bulb) or capacitive load. The VA setting is more of a real world idea of how much power your genset is giving. The Watts setting on the Kill-A-Watt assumes a 100% resistive load, which rarely happens.

It's possible for the meter to read 500 Watts on the watts setting, but be significantly higher on the VA setting.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:

Incandescent lights [most light bulbs] are resistive loads...

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#28]
If the problem turns out to be a bum circuit breaker, I'm not even sure I'd bother to install a replacement.

These little generators are pretty much self-protecting anyway - When overloaded, the engine bogs down, and the output voltage drops like a rock. When it's overloaded, you know it!

So, I'd probably just bypass the circuit breaker, so there's one less part to fail.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Skibane:
If the problem turns out to be a bum circuit breaker, I'm not even sure I'd bother to install a replacement.

These little generators are pretty much self-protecting anyway - When overloaded, the engine bogs down, and the output voltage drops like a rock. When it's overloaded, you know it!

So, I'd probably just bypass the circuit breaker, so there's one less part to fail.
View Quote

It would suck if your heart became overloaded before the little motor b/c of the lack of a circuit breaker.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#30]
A heart can pop a fat CB?

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Is it a matter of taking the screws out of the side and disconnecting a wire to bypass the CB?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#32]
The back side of the circuit breaker has 2 wires connected to it.

To bypass it, disconnect those 2 wires and connect them to each other.

The wires probably have spade terminals on their ends - So, to connect them together, you'll probably need to cut the spade terminals off them, and solder them together. Insulate the soldered connection with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#33]
The back side of the circuit breaker has 2 wires connected to it.

To bypass it, disconnect those 2 wires and connect them to each other.

The wires probably have spade terminals on their ends - So, to connect them together, you'll probably need to cut the spade terminals off them, and solder them together. Insulate the soldered connection with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing afterwards.
View Quote

Why not just leave the terminals alone and connect both spades under the same screw of one of the two terminals of the CB.

10 seconds and yer done.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#34]
IIRC, there are no screws on the circuit breaker - Just tabs that plug into the spade terminals on the wires.

The terminals on the wires look sorta like this:

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:38:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: faldoc] [#35]
Why not replace the breaker with a new one? It's there for a reason. Couldn't cost much.

Edit: search amazon for 8 amp 120 volt circuit breaker and they're available of about six dollars shipped from "Five Oceans".
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#36]
A little background -

I purchased this Harbor Freight Generator about two months ago, and that one leaked oil.  Being 2.5 hours from the nearest store, they sent a label and I sent it back for replacement, which took about 7 weeks to get to me.

Now this one is popping the fuse.  I called HF, and they suggested sending another label and doing the whole two month wait again.  Being unwilling, I countered with just sending me the new fuse.  They don't stock parts, and we settled on them sending a new unit and label ASAP.  I'll get the unit, swap fuses, and send it back, so I do intend to make it work with a new fuse.  I'm glad to see there are alternatives though.

Poor product for me so far, but great customer service.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Wire nut or butt splice??

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#39]
i have used a few of those cheap breakers on projects spend a little more and make sure you get a quality breaker. every budget breaker i have ever used failed pretty quickly and often tripped well below it's rated value.
View Quote

Yep.

Cheap ones aren't worth the trouble it takes to install them.

Typically, they get "lazier" each time they trip.

Go quality, or go commando!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I started this thread on 1/31/2010, we have 136k views and nearly 1k posts . ....four years and no archive! Holy shit, we love this little cheap ass polluting bastard.

The generator price is still relatively the same (within 10%) of $79 and we have yet to have anyone post a catastrophic failure of a unit in service (excluding a couple returns posted).

So, what does this mean?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#41]
It means we need to figger out how to gang them, either electronically or mechanically.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
It means we need to figger out how to gang them, either electronically or mechanically.
View Quote

It means we need to figger out how to rewind the alternator to get 14.5 VDC at around 50 amps...
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#43]

It means we need to figger out how to rewind the alternator to get 14.5 VDC at around 50 amps...
View All Quotes

That too.  There will have to be rectifier involved.  You're a pretty stand up guy - here, hold this...
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: troy_v] [#44]
Can someone tell me if THIS is the current version of the generator that's the subject for this thread?

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Has anyone found a propane carburetor for the Storm Cat generator?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By OpusXKC:

Has anyone found a propane carburetor for the Storm Cat generator?
View Quote
I don't think it can be done with a 2-stroke.  Need the oil mixed with the gas for lubrication.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#48]
It's almost fall.  We ready to figure out how to gang these?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Rig up a suicide cord (2 male plugs, 1 female) and let us know how it works.....I predict they balance the load and everything is fine, but your mileage may vary!

Don't forget to capture it on video!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#50]
View Quote

Sure, maybe connect the neutrals and earth gnd, place a 110vac lamp between the hot outputs to observe phase difference, place an adjustable load [power resistor] in series with the 2 genny's outputs, fire them up, lower the resistance forcing the gennnies to sync [and reducing dissipated current in the resistor]...

Connect load.

Then, ---stand back...

Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top