Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2007 5:36:43 PM EDT
This is my take on the "possibles bag" as carried by frontiersman.  It provides a basic survival kit for use when on a day hike or could be kept in a vehicle.  It's designed to help provide me with basic shelter, warmth, water, and food for two or three days.

The bag I used is a an EOD Utility Bag or mine bag from Countycomm.com.  Here's a look at the front of the bag:

As you can see, the bag has rows of PALS webbing on the front (it's also on the bottom and back).  Attached to the webbing I have a Maxpedition Mini Roly-Poly bag containing a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle of water, a Brunton compass in an old USGI pouch, an SO-LED light from Countycomm, a Maxpedition Grimlock carabiner, and a heavy duty contractor's garbage bag.  The garbage bag is for use as an expedient shelter or poncho and attached with some paracord.

Here's the back:

It's not very visible in the pic but I added a Maxpedition pad to the shoulder strap to help distribute the weight.

I've lashed a Frost's Mora Swedish Army knife to the PALS webbing using some paracord.  Moras are great bush knives and very reasonably priced, under $15 each.

Next, a peek inside, and then a look at some of the contents:

Left to right in the top row:
-Olicamp stainless steel cup (a 32 oz. Nalgene nests into it, but the cup won't quite fit into the water bottle pouch)
-Ziploc containing some paracord, flat pack duct tape, a P39 can opener, and several large safety pins
-Tobacco tin containing fatwood tinder and REI storm proof matches
-Esbit stove with hexamine fuel inside it

Middle row:
-Ziploc containing a basic first aid kit
-Ziploc containing Moleskine notebook and a pen
-Ziploc containing a bandana and some tissues

Bottom row:
-N95 mask
-Two light sticks
-Space blanket
-Task force 3xAAA LED flashlight in pouch

Here's a look into the tin:

It contains a pack of REI storm proof matches, the strikers from the match box, a couple pieces of cardboard from the box, and fatwood, both sticks and shavings.  Fatwood, or pitchwood, is pine that is saturated with pitch (sap).  It burns very hot and is easy to ignite, greatly assisting you in getting a fire going.

Here's the rest of the contents:

-3600 calorie Mainstay ration bar pack
-Ziploc with some tea bags and boullion cubes
-Ziploc with water purfication tablets, a tealight candle, Swedish fire steel, and 35mm film container of cotton balls impregnated with petroleum jelly
-Pocket straight razor and Pocket SERE saw from Countycomm
-Whistle with a compass and thermometer

There is still some room left in the bag for me to pack a lunch and a spare pair of socks.

The EOD Utility bag is very well made and a great deal at under $20.  Likewise, the Maxpedition Roly-Poly pouch is quite well made and the MALICE clip attachment is secure.

This is not a comprehensive get home bag or bugout bag.  Rather, it's intended for use on dayhikes or if for some reason I needed to grab something light and compact which could keep me going for a couple days.

Link Posted: 11/9/2007 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good..how about TP, handywipes and paracord.

I removed the plastic clips that connect the handle to the bag and used lots of paracord, wrapped in loops to attach the handle to each end of the bag body.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice bag.

The nicest thing about it is you actually did and have it instead of talking about it on the net!

I have a Med Alice pack as my GHB, but I have been thinking of going a little lighter now that I am only 12 miles from home.

Can you tell more about the MORA knife?
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 4:42:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Looks good..how about TP, handywipes and paracord.

I removed the plastic clips that connect the handle to the bag and used lots of paracord, wrapped in loops to attach the handle to each end of the bag body.

Already have some tissues and paracord in there.  They are in Ziplocs and shown in the first pic of contents.  Hand wipes are a good idea.

So far the plastic clips holdng on the strap seem rugged enough.  If that changes I'll replace them with paracord.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice bag.

The nicest thing about it is you actually did and have it instead of talking about it on the net!

I have a Med Alice pack as my GHB, but I have been thinking of going a little lighter now that I am only 12 miles from home.

Can you tell more about the MORA knife?

IMO, if you're only 12 miles from home then one of these EOD bags or something similar is ideal.  Unless you'll be travelling through rugged country you should be able to carry everything needed for a 12 mile hike in a small bag.

The Mora knives are without a doubt the single best value in cutlery, IMHO.  They go for anywhere from $10 - $20 but are pretty good quality.  The blades are thin, take a keen edge and retain it.  They aren't a Busse or even a Becker but they work extremely well for a knife's primary role: cutting.  Several well known survival instructors, including Mors Kochanski recommend them.

The one shown in my post has a stainless steel blade, and I got it from Smokey Mountain Knifeworks.  Another good source is Ragnar's Ragweed Forge.  Ragnar also carries them in carbon steel.  I have a couple of the stainless models and one carbon steel model.  The latter is easier to sharpen.

A good alternative to a Mora would be a folding lockback hunter, e.g., a Buck 110 or an old Schrade Bearpaw, like this:

One thing I'd add to the kit if I didn't already carry it on my person is a Swiss Army Knife and/or a multitool.  I like the Victorinox Pioneer or Pioneer Farmer (with saw blade):

(Those are Countycomm Peanut lighters attached to the knives.  They work well and do not leak fluid.)
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the EOD bag.  I use mine to hold stuff I can't take to some sites (DOD installations).  If I have to go somewhere and can't have weapons I just remove the bag from my truck.

They hold alot.  Glock, holster, surefire, 4 to 5 glock mags, 6 AR mags, plenty of room for other stuff.  

Last time I checked LA Police gear had sold out of them.

Link Posted: 11/10/2007 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put one of these in my cart at County Comm along with a second EOD Breaher bar.
Good call on upgrading the strap.
How does the shoulder strap fasten to the bag.
I have the same Mora in my Maxpedition Toadstool.
Could you attach a wind shirt or poncho to the PALS webbing on the back?

TIA,
Pete
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Good thread!!

I had never heard of countycomm before (or if I did, I'd forgotten about it).

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from there.

If I had a use for that mini grapnle hook, I'd buy it. Pretty neat.

Thanks,

Gene
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Dave,
I bought a Mora 2000 from Ragnar...it's my second 2000 of 4 or 5 Moras now.
I carry a Victornix One Hand Trekker everyday and use it like any other tool...hard.
Gotta try those Peanut lighters.
Pete
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
permanent match

i haven't seen this before, what exactly is it, im guessing there is flint on the side, asking in this thread because is on the countycomm site
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the same bag for basically the same thing.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Maxpedition Fatboy for this.

Fits that Nalgene bottle and Olicamp cup perfectly.  

Has an Army/Air Force survival knife, MRE components, flares, felt-lined emergency blanket, LB2 light, etc.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice setup

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Mora knife for over a year now. Thanks to your thread I just went and bought two on ebay for $9.95 each:

Link Posted: 11/10/2007 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a Maxpedition Fatboy for this.

Fits that Nalgene bottle and Olicamp cup perfectly.  

Has an Army/Air Force survival knife, MRE components, flares, felt-lined emergency blanket, LB2 light, etc.  

I ended up using one also..I liked the concept of the EOD but once I put a Nalgene w/pouch, knife and other gear in it I found that I couldn't comfortably carry on a hike. I always have a tendency to overload my bags though. The Fatboy solved all those problems. Kept the EOD as a vehicle first aid kit bag..works great for that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 4:26:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Good call on upgrading the strap.
How does the shoulder strap fasten to the bag.
Could you attach a wind shirt or poncho to the PALS webbing on the back?

TIA,
Pete

The strap is attached with pretty substantial plastic swivel hooks with metal gates, to metal D-rings.  For the size of the bag they should be plenty strong.

I don't see why you couldn't attach a wind shirt or poncho to the back.  Might make the bag hang uncomfortably or stick out past the ends, though.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Mora knife for over a year now. Thanks to your thread I just went and bought two on ebay for $9.95 each:

I love being a bad influence.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
If I had a use for that mini grapnle hook, I'd buy it. Pretty neat. had
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I had a use for that mini grapnle hook, I'd buy it. Pretty neat.

Ever had to try to pull dead branches off of standing trees for firewood?  It's a lot easier if you have something you can throw up and yank the branches down with.  Now go buy one and report back :D  I've used ropes tied to rocks or sticks, seems like this would work a lot better.

Hrmmmm  
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was in the Army I used to keep 2 chem lights in the metal tube from a discarded pop-flare; I also kept a few sheets of writing paper and a spare pencil.  The metal tube kept the chem lights from getting activated/broken.  I told a co-worker about this, and he replicated it for his BoB by using a small section of PVC pipe with end-caps.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Dave nice set up I carry a Maxpedition fatboy myself I really like it. The bag has come in handy many times over since I started carry it.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/scoutinlife/100_0844.jpg

What I have in the bag is a first aid kit with a few advance alteration a compass,pen,paper, passport, gerber mI carry daily my Full size xd 45 tatical or the 915 Smith & Wesson and concealed carry permit.
ulti tool,Sog Flash II knife,sewing kit, extr4a clip, poncho,lighter, fire rod, surefire, signal mirror , 50 ft para cord,Zeiss sunglassess in a case..

Also a small pounch attatched to the shoulder strap the maxpedition Rat wallet which hold a couple credit cards and $200.oo in cash broken down and some change..... Just a few things to keep me comfortable or get me home if need be....

Link Posted: 11/12/2007 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm... this merits further study when I have time to read.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dave nice set up I carry a Maxpedition fatboy myself I really like it. The bag has come in handy many times over since I started carry it.

i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/scoutinlife/100_0844.jpg

What I have in the bag is a first aid kit with a few advance alteration a compass,pen,paper, passport, gerber mI carry daily my Full size xd 45 tatical or the 915 Smith & Wesson and concealed carry permit.
ulti tool,Sog Flash II knife,sewing kit, extr4a clip, poncho,lighter, fire rod, surefire, signal mirror , 50 ft para cord,Zeiss sunglassess in a case..

Also a small pounch attatched to the shoulder strap the maxpedition Rat wallet which hold a couple credit cards and $200.oo in cash broken down and some change..... Just a few things to keep me comfortable or get me home if need be....

Nice setup, looks well thought-out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#21]
CMT

I use the Plastic transport tube from a pop flare for my cleaning kit it is water and weather tight and prevents the other stuff rom getting broke when you toss the bag around. Sorry a little off subject.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I got to looking at your bag again, and realized (sadly) that it looks almost identical to the $70 S.O. TECH MISSION GO BAG that I have

I like the $16 price much better.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I got to looking at your bag again, and realized (sadly) that it looks almost identical to the $70 S.O. TECH MISSION GO BAG that I have

I like the $16 price much better.

Yikes!  That SO Tech bag looks a bit larger, but not $54 larger.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Cant afford a fatboy, but i can afford one of those EOD bags for $17 for sure!
of course while i was there, I added a few little trinkets that countycom has.
thanks for bringing this bag to our attention.  it looks really nice!
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The bag is well made and worth more than the asking price.

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bag is well made and worth more than the asking price.

+1

I got two of them and they are one of the better 'bang-for-the-buck' pieces of gear I own.

ETA: I own page two...and two of these EOD bags.

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice bag.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#28]
the wait is going to kill me.  thanks to the holiday vacations i ordered it late last week and it will arrive on the 27th!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This is my take on the "possibles bag" as carried by frontiersman.  It provides a basic survival kit for use when on a day hike or could be kept in a vehicle.  It's designed to help provide me with basic shelter, warmth, water, and food for two or three days.

The bag I used is a an EOD Utility Bag or mine bag from Countycomm.com.  Here's a look at the front of the bag:

i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Countycomm_EOD_Bag/eodbag-front.jpg

As you can see, the bag has rows of PALS webbing on the front (it's also on the bottom and back).  Attached to the webbing I have a Maxpedition Mini Roly-Poly bag containing a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle of water, a Brunton compass in an old USGI pouch, an SO-LED light from Countycomm, a Maxpedition Grimlock carabiner, and a heavy duty contractor's garbage bag.  The garbage bag is for use as an expedient shelter or poncho and attached with some paracord.

Here's the back:

i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Countycomm_EOD_Bag/eodbag-back.jpg

It's not very visible in the pic but I added a Maxpedition pad to the shoulder strap to help distribute the weight.

I've lashed a Frost's Mora Swedish Army knife to the PALS webbing using some paracord.  Moras are great bush knives and very reasonably priced, under $15 each.

Next, a peek inside, and then a look at some of the contents:

i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Countycomm_EOD_Bag/eodbag-inside.jpg

i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Countycomm_EOD_Bag/eodbag-contents1.jpg

Left to right in the top row:
-Olicamp stainless steel cup (a 32 oz. Nalgene nests into it, but the cup won't quite fit into the water bottle pouch)
-Ziploc containing some paracord, flat pack duct tape, a P39 can opener, and several large safety pins
-Tobacco tin containing fatwood tinder and REI storm proof matches
-Esbit stove with hexamine fuel inside it

Middle row:
-Ziploc containing a basic first aid kit
-Ziploc containing Moleskine notebook and a pen
-Ziploc containing a bandana and some tissues

Bottom row:
-N95 mask
-Two light sticks
-Space blanket
-Task force 3xAAA LED flashlight in pouch

Here's a look into the tin:

i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Countycomm_EOD_Bag/fire-tin.jpg

It contains a pack of REI storm proof matches, the strikers from the match box, a couple pieces of cardboard from the box, and fatwood, both sticks and shavings.  Fatwood, or pitchwood, is pine that is saturated with pitch (sap).  It burns very hot and is easy to ignite, greatly assisting you in getting a fire going.

Here's the rest of the contents:

i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Countycomm_EOD_Bag/eodbag-contents2.jpg

-3600 calorie Mainstay ration bar pack
-Ziploc with some tea bags and boullion cubes
-Ziploc with water purfication tablets, a tealight candle, Swedish fire steel, and 35mm film container of cotton balls impregnated with petroleum jelly
-Pocket straight razor and Pocket SERE saw from Countycomm
-Whistle with a compass and thermometer

There is still some room left in the bag for me to pack a lunch and a spare pair of socks.

The EOD Utility bag is very well made and a great deal at under $20.  Likewise, the Maxpedition Roly-Poly pouch is quite well made and the MALICE clip attachment is secure.

This is not a comprehensive get home bag or bugout bag.  Rather, it's intended for use on dayhikes or if for some reason I needed to grab something light and compact which could keep me going for a couple days.

Thanks for pointing out where to get one.  I just ordered my EOD bag (also some paracord and a Pocket Widgy Pry Bar).  
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Thanks for pointing out where to get one. I just ordered my EOD bag (also some paracord and a Pocket Widgy Pry Bar).

I should start getting commissions.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Thanks for pointing out where to get one. I just ordered my EOD bag (also some paracord and a Pocket Widgy Pry Bar).

I should start getting commissions.  

Tell them, I'm in for a bag and and EOD tool along with some other needed items.

I'm going to try and heat some plastic for a stiffener insert.
Thinkin' sort of a J shaped deal running the full height of the back, the bottom and up 3" for the front.

Pete
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I sure would appreciate a link to that ebay site on that mora knife, looks really good, I tried to search for it but had no luck.....

The one centuryhouse found...

Ordered from Ragnar, got them today...wow really great knives and really great pric....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top