Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thesandstonefiles:

I agree with most if this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamemaster:
I think that the topic should have been called Readers Rides.

There are very few vehicles out of all of these pages that I would categorize as being a Bug Out Vehicle.

Two scenarios -
1.  The SHTF and you are prepared to leave and you are getting out of Dodge before everyone else.

2.  The S already hit the fan and you are trying to get out of Dodge - but the main roads are all blocked with traffic - with the 1 million other people
that had the same idea as you.

The first scenario - you need the largest vehicle you can find that is enclosed that can haul YOU, your immediate family, all of your primary belongings,
Food, Clothing, Shelter, guns, radios, and everything you need to be self sufficient.
The Suburban with a extra gas tank, lift kit, big tires, heavy duty axles, a trailer to haul what the Suburban cannot is my first choice.
You have to believe that the electric is going to be out, the gas stations will not be pumping gas and the junkyards and parts stores are going to be closed.
You need a vehicle that you can steal parts from other vehicles to get to where you have to go - if you break down along the way.
This would exclude anything foreign, anything obsolete, anything unique.

The second - you need a Suburban or Avalanche type vehicle, something that you can both use to haul everything and something that you can sleep in if you have to.
You want to blend in with everyone else, you don't want to call attention to yourself - else someone else might rob you.
You want 4 wheel drive - since you will only be able to drive as far as the vehicle will go and then from there you will be on your own.

A large national Forrest with limited access would be my first choice, but you cannot walk in there like you just bought the place, else when you get there, you will find 100 other people with the same intent.
2nd choice would be the Bad Lands in Wyoming.  A person could really get lost in that place.
3rd would probably be Yellowstone National Park - since there would be some game that you would be able to eat to survive until things gets better or until who ever or what ever caused the event is gone, in power or has ran it's course.

Anyone planning on  fixed location - house along a main or back road, will be the first people to succumb to what ever threat is causing the event.
MY REASONING IS BECAUSE IF YOU CAN DRIVE THERE, SO CAN SOMEONE ELSE.
If they see smoke, they will figure fire, food and someone to steal from.
They didn't quit making guns when they made yours.
Eventually you have to go to sleep.
And, if it is a foreign power, they will just drop a bomb on your location and kill you instead of just trying to round you all up and make you conform.

With me, it won't be worth their bother to try to follow me deep into the Forrest and their resources will be better spent trying to round up all of the sheeple.
If it is a disease or pandemic - most people will already be dead before they ever make it out of Dodge!
You will bring it with you and won't even know it!

Our government has chemicals that 10 drops of one substance could pollute enough water in any of the great lakes to kill millions of people.
We have airborne diseases that could be released in the exhaust of a jet that would kill more people then the plague.

Its not rocket science.  The best vehicle is the one that gets you away from danger.  Doesn't really matter what it is to be honest as long as it does what you determined it needed to do.  Fitting preps into a check list or box or  "must be" list like the one above is stupid.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RedDane:

Cite?
View All Quotes

Our government has chemicals that 10 drops of one substance could pollute enough water in any of the great lakes to kill millions of people.

Cite?

As an aquatic toxicologist, I can assure that this is complete bullshit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:55:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thesandstonefiles] [#3]
Originally Posted By Dace:

Its not rocket science.  The best vehicle is the one that gets you away from danger.  Doesn't really matter what it is to be honest as long as it does what you determined it needed to do.  Fitting preps into a check list or box or  "must be" list like the one above is stupid.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dace:

There are very few vehicles out of all of these pages that I would categorize as being a Bug Out Vehicle.

Two scenarios -
1.  The SHTF and you are prepared to leave and you are getting out of Dodge before everyone else.

2.  The S already hit the fan and you are trying to get out of Dodge - but the main roads are all blocked with traffic - with the 1 million other people
that had the same idea as you.

The first scenario - you need the largest vehicle you can find that is enclosed that can haul YOU, your immediate family, all of your primary belongings,
Food, Clothing, Shelter, guns, radios, and everything you need to be self sufficient.
The Suburban with a extra gas tank, lift kit, big tires, heavy duty axles, a trailer to haul what the Suburban cannot is my first choice.
You have to believe that the electric is going to be out, the gas stations will not be pumping gas and the junkyards and parts stores are going to be closed.
You need a vehicle that you can steal parts from other vehicles to get to where you have to go - if you break down along the way.
This would exclude anything foreign, anything obsolete, anything unique.

The second - you need a Suburban or Avalanche type vehicle, something that you can both use to haul everything and something that you can sleep in if you have to.
You want to blend in with everyone else, you don't want to call attention to yourself - else someone else might rob you.
You want 4 wheel drive - since you will only be able to drive as far as the vehicle will go and then from there you will be on your own.

A large national Forrest with limited access would be my first choice, but you cannot walk in there like you just bought the place, else when you get there, you will find 100 other people with the same intent.
2nd choice would be the Bad Lands in Wyoming.  A person could really get lost in that place.
3rd would probably be Yellowstone National Park - since there would be some game that you would be able to eat to survive until things gets better or until who ever or what ever caused the event is gone, in power or has ran it's course.

Anyone planning on  fixed location - house along a main or back road, will be the first people to succumb to what ever threat is causing the event.
MY REASONING IS BECAUSE IF YOU CAN DRIVE THERE, SO CAN SOMEONE ELSE.
If they see smoke, they will figure fire, food and someone to steal from.
They didn't quit making guns when they made yours.
Eventually you have to go to sleep.
And, if it is a foreign power, they will just drop a bomb on your location and kill you instead of just trying to round you all up and make you conform.

With me, it won't be worth their bother to try to follow me deep into the Forrest and their resources will be better spent trying to round up all of the sheeple.
If it is a disease or pandemic - most people will already be dead before they ever make it out of Dodge!
You will bring it with you and won't even know it!

We have airborne diseases that could be released in the exhaust of a jet that would kill more people then the plague.

Uh, that depends on is you want to carry stuff, if the shit has already hit or not, if that vehicle can get to where it needs to go...you know just like the post said tgat you think was stupid.

Getting out of danger is literally one aspect of a bov
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to know how this disease stays alive after being released in a jet engine exhaust.   That's some serious tin foil stuff right there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hipower90:
I already live at my BOL here deep in the NC mtns. So if its that bad for me to leave, it'll likely be on this...
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/Motard04013060_zpsea90919b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/Motard04013060_zpsea90919b.jpg</a>
..or even something like this. The Appalachian trail is just above my place on a high ridge line via 2 miles of trails. I'm also a big backpacker with all the ultra light gear, so its not a reach.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/cycling110_zps42947748.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/cycling110_zps42947748.jpg</a>
View Quote

drz-400 sm.... my personal choice as well! Fun to fun around town, but can also double as the BOV. best pic i got below..

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Survival101:

As an aquatic toxicologist, I can assure that this is complete bullshit. Stay thirsty my friends.
View All Quotes

Cite?

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Cite?

That's what I figured.  I was just waiting for him to stick his foot further into his mouth.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump

One of my old ones from the early 1990s
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but I think this might inspire some others to consider unconventional ideas.  Florida has only two road systems that travel north/south from southern Florida (95 and 75), so evac is a serious concern.  With that said, we're surrounded by water - including channels dug across the state in all directions.  As a result, here's my BOV (bug out vessel):

Her range is 2,500 nm with the fuel she carries in her tanks, and I have a bladders that can carry enough for about 1,000 more.  She has completely redundant fuel and propulsion systems, with a full set of spares, filters, etc.  She has a 1kW solar array on the roof of the flybridge - enough to run all electronics, fridges, freezers, etc., and a 15kW generator designed for continuous use.  I can see anything within ~20 miles of me via radar, including weather.  I won't say much about security, but we're fairly well set there - with several upgrades to the vessel itself including a night capable surveillance system and some areas that are hardened.  Most Caribbean nations allow us to travel armed.  I don't have to ask permission to depart US waters, and water-borne travel has VERY rarely been restricted by war or conflict.  We are part of a program in the US and elsewhere that allows us to arrive/depart without formally going through customs.  You also don't have to ask permission to go through another Country unless you stop - so it's possible to pass through territorial waters of Countries that aren't as accommodating.  We had an extra fridge and freezer and icemaker installed in a cabinet in the cockpit, which supplements our full-size fridge and freezer in the galley.  She's typically loaded with 3 months of provisions (particularly meats and rice), and has a watermaker installed (produces fresh water from salt water).  We travel at trolling speeds (6 to 7 knots) and carry 4 trolling rigs, so typically supplement a large portion of our diet with fresh fish. She sleeps 7 comfortably and 12 using some ingenuity (sleeping on couches or a hammock).  

It may not be for everyone, but thought I would share.  I lived on her with my entire family (including dogs) for 3 months this summer without any resupply.  That includes fuel, food or anything else (although we did eat at the occasional restaurant).  That was a quite a test, and it went fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BlackFox:
I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but I think this might inspire some others to consider unconventional ideas.  Florida has only two road systems that travel north/south from southern Florida (95 and 75), so evac is a serious concern.  With that said, we're surrounded by water - including channels dug across the state in all directions.  As a result, here's my BOV (bug out vessel):

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81947

Her range is 2,500 nm with the fuel she carries in her tanks, and I have a bladders that can carry enough for about 1,000 more.  She has completely redundant fuel and propulsion systems, with a full set of spares, filters, etc.  She has a 1kW solar array on the roof of the flybridge - enough to run all electronics, fridges, freezers, etc., and a 15kW generator designed for continuous use.  I can see anything within ~20 miles of me via radar, including weather.  I won't say much about security, but we're fairly well set there - with several upgrades to the vessel itself including a night capable surveillance system and some areas that are hardened.  Most Caribbean nations allow us to travel armed.  I don't have to ask permission to depart US waters, and water-borne travel has VERY rarely been restricted by war or conflict.  We are part of a program in the US and elsewhere that allows us to arrive/depart without formally going through customs.  You also don't have to ask permission to go through another Country unless you stop - so it's possible to pass through territorial waters of Countries that aren't as accommodating.  We had an extra fridge and freezer and icemaker installed in a cabinet in the cockpit, which supplements our full-size fridge and freezer in the galley.  She's typically loaded with 3 months of provisions (particularly meats and rice), and has a watermaker installed (produces fresh water from salt water).  We travel at trolling speeds (6 to 7 knots) and carry 4 trolling rigs, so typically supplement a large portion of our diet with fresh fish. She sleeps 7 comfortably and 12 using some ingenuity (sleeping on couches or a hammock).  

It may not be for everyone, but thought I would share.  I lived on her with my entire family (including dogs) for 3 months this summer without any resupply.  That includes fuel, food or anything else (although we did eat at the occasional restaurant).  That was a quite a test, and it went fine.
View Quote

Okay, now you're just bragging.  

Also, can I meet you there when the SHTF?  
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By D_J:

View Quote

Sorry .  I did put a lot of thought (and sweat, blood and tears) into her, and am really happy with how she worked out.  It's one of the last truly free means of travel - particularly when you consider leaving the Country.  I think it's a great BOV.  

You and your family can meet us in the Bahamas if SHTF.  We'll be heading south from there!  You'll be expected to pull night watch
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#12]

Sorry .  I did put a lot of thought (and sweat, blood and tears) into her, and am really happy with how she worked out.  It's one of the last truly free means of travel - particularly when you consider leaving the Country.  I think it's a great BOV.  

You and your family can meet us in the Bahamas if SHTF.  We'll be heading south from there!  You'll be expected to pull night watch
View All Quotes

I'm okay with night watch - I'm a night owl anyway.  

If it was feasible for us to consider a waterborne vehicle, I definitely would be thinking about something like what you did.  We are ~30 minutes from one lake and ~60 minutes from another (two biggest in N. Ga), but you can only hide so well / so long on an encapsulated body of water.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#13]

If it was feasible for us to consider a waterborne vehicle, I definitely would be thinking about something like what you did.  We are ~30 minutes from one lake and ~60 minutes from another (two biggest in N. Ga), but you can only hide so well / so long on an encapsulated body of water.
View All Quotes

Hold on hold on hold on....I will bring the Spam and Cheetos...but I'll be coming from Michigan so wait a couple minutes...
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 5:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soldierman79] [#14]
1975 CJ5, AMC 304 V8

It wont haul much, but thats ok, cause I got a BOV truck bed trailer too!

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

That is awesome.  My parents live on Marco Island.  My dad has a more humble version of that;  I'm pretty sure it's a 46' Sea Ray Sundancer with twin Cummins diesels.  

That's the way to go for a BOV if you live in FL and the event is not a nearby hurricane.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

That's really nice.  I don't know anything about boats but you seem to have a nice set up.

How do you deal with sewage?  Yah, I really don't know.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Two-dogs:

That's really nice.  I don't know anything about boats but you seem to have a nice set up.

View Quote

It's actually not bad - there's a blackwater tank that stores waste from toilets with a macerator pump that discharges directly in to the ocean.  You're not supposed to release it within 2-3 miles of shore.  You can also have it pumped out at any marina.  There's also a system for graywater, which is waste from showers and sinks.  It's the same system - a holding tank you can dump or pump out.  I'm actually running offshore today after a charter yesterday that left us with full tanks .
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By soldierman79:
1975 CJ5, AMC 304 V8

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/20160626_181640_zpspkuihetr.jpeg

It wont haul much, but thats ok, cause I got a BOV truck bed trailer too!

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20140829_200416_zps3ade2f68.jpg

View Quote

Early 5's make good bov's. Light, narrow, short, easy to work on, etc..

Good looking rig you have there!

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

I work nights.... Sooooo......  Yeah. I'll be there too. D__J and I can tag team the night watches....
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Pretty sweet and probably a really good option for someone who lives on or by the coast but out of curiosity, what's your contingency plan for hurricane season?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:43:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#21]

View Quote

Lighten up Frances, this is just the Internet and I hate to burst your bubble but the chances of any of these doomsday, shtf, grab all of your shit and run to the hills scenarios actually happening is pretty fucking slim.

A BOV is whatever vehicle you currently have that if you had to bug out right now would be the one you would use.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#22]

It's actually not bad - there's a blackwater tank that stores waste from toilets with a macerator pump that discharges directly in to the ocean.  You're not supposed to release it within 2-3 miles of shore.  You can also have it pumped out at any marina.  There's also a system for graywater, which is waste from showers and sinks.  It's the same system - a holding tank you can dump or pump out.  I'm actually running offshore today after a charter yesterday that left us with full tanks .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Two-dogs:

Cool, thanks for the reply.  I had no idea.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#23]
No bump in this thread for a while, so here's my M-416 from yesterday's back country drive.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm just starting one. Though it's more retro daily driver than zombie apocalypse survival wagon.

Need to get a boat. Being in Kansas means it can be a small one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Here is mine (the silver one in the back ground - the other one can barely get out of its own way )

Page / 33
Next Page Arrow Left
Show Me your BOV (Page 33 of 33)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top