BCM
User Panel

Show Me your BOV (Page 2 of 33)
Page / 33
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
what is a BOV?

Bug out vehicle. a vehicle that is capable of going just about anywhere, typically a 4x4, etc.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:38:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MEDICMAN29] [#2]
1999 f350, 4" lift, 315's

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By XM21Nick:

Originally Posted By dayphotog:
just got this!!
www.danielyaris.com/danfj.jpg

wanted the 4 door wrangler but got a better deal on this..

my old BOV was a pontiac solstice

when I was just flooded not to long ago I could not pull the solstice out of the garage do to deep water...not a problem anymore

now I just need to add a few things (roof basket, lights, and brush guard)

love Aim4MyHead's setup!!!
Looks good but ya need some better offroad meats on that thing!

any suggestions?

I hate to admit it but I will do 90% of my driving on the roads...not much area to wheel around by me. I do have one heck of a drive way to get out of in the winter though. very long and prone to drifts. It came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T's
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
i wheel all the time heelin
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's my BOV.  2004 Avalanche with a 6" RCD lift and 35" Pro Comps

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By XM21Nick:

just got this!!
www.danielyaris.com/danfj.jpg

wanted the 4 door wrangler but got a better deal on this..

my old BOV was a pontiac solstice

when I was just flooded not to long ago I could not pull the solstice out of the garage do to deep water...not a problem anymore

now I just need to add a few things (roof basket, lights, and brush guard)

love Aim4MyHead's setup!!!
Looks good but ya need some better offroad meats on that thing!

any suggestions?

I hate to admit it but I will do 90% of my driving on the roads...not much area to wheel around by me. I do have one heck of a drive way to get out of in the winter though. very long and prone to drifts. It came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T's

BFG A/Ts. Best all around tire ive seen, no noise and good wear. Its a big step up from what youve got.
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Daily Driver and BOV

Link Posted: 10/21/2007 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#10]
not much ground clearance but it is 4x4 :) and will outrun most things on tarmac.
(will try to find pic of it recovering a 2wd 4runner in the mud)

Link Posted: 10/22/2007 11:15:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDS] [#11]
I'm considering building a vehicle similar to this:
http://images.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehicles/830large+scorpion_mkii+front_side_view.jpg

Slightly larger to seat 4 comfortably, with more storage for gear and fuel.  Enclose it w/ canvas or similar because it gets cold here, tow hitch for a trailer.  

With the option to fully 'Rat Patrol' the thing if desired.  

Hey, I can dream.....

But if I had to bug out today, I just have a stock '07 Expedition EL gets 20mpg on th highway and carries a lot of stuff.....

WDS
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Recently added a Bestop Supertop to the Taco, Scotchgarded the seams, removed the crappy plastic bed liner, and layed down some gray indoor/outdoor carpet.  Next is to add some weatherstripping around the tailgate and a couple of other areas and to build a sleeping platform with storage underneath.

Link Posted: 10/22/2007 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By WDS:
I'm considering building a vehicle similar to this:
images.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehicles/830large+scorpion_mkii+front_side_view.jpg

Slightly larger to seat 4 comfortably, with more storage for gear and fuel.  Enclose it w/ canvas or similar because it gets cold here, tow hitch for a trailer.  

With the option to fully 'Rat Patrol' the thing if desired.  

Hey, I can dream.....

But if I had to bug out today, I just have a stock '07 Expedition EL gets 20mpg on th highway and carries a lot of stuff.....

WDS

I would love a cummins powered Scorpion
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 7:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7point62] [#14]

as long as i dont have to bug out while the tranny is getting fixed!

if that happens, i'll bug out with my other Cherokee that's on 30's
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 7:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NevisRuprecht] [#15]
Da see me rollin.  Da be hatin!!  Cause Da stuck in traffic, and I be rollin!

Actually:

Link Posted: 10/22/2007 10:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OKshooterHRS] [#16]
heres mine

before i made my bumper
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Ironcross:

Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Not a daily driver, but it'll go where most won't...

www.extremefirepower.com/20020917_22.jpg

Thats badass. Any more pics?

Lots...
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 12:32:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Timmee] [#19]
Here's my DD/BOV (basically stock '03 Silverado 4X4 RCSB):

It does have an aluminum locking truck box in the back, and I'd like to get a spray-in bedliner eventually.
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#20]
2004 GMC Sierra 8.1L engine 4.3 Allison trany crew cab long bed.  I have also added a camper shell on the back.  Trailer is fully self contained.

Link Posted: 10/26/2007 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#21]
All the BOV's "LOOK" great, but the one factor that seems to be left out is how well running the vehicle is / how far will it go on a tank of gas ?  Great if you live away from a major city ( then why or where are you bugging out , to bug into a more remote buggout).  Aka, Katrina, more people ran out or broke down trying to get out of town. Didn't see one monster 4X4 buggout vehicle rolling over the thousands of vehicles stopped on the interstate. Hope some of you guys are hauling lots of gas cans or at least have a good pair of hiking boots.
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By spikeofwoolsey:
All the BOV's "LOOK" great, but the one factor that seems to be left out is how well running the vehicle is / how far will it go on a tank of gas ?  Great if you live away from a major city ( then why or where are you bugging out , to bug into a more remote buggout).  Aka, Katrina, more people ran out or broke down trying to get out of town. Didn't see one monster 4X4 buggout vehicle rolling over the thousands of vehicles stopped on the interstate. Hope some of you guys are hauling lots of gas cans or at least have a good pair of hiking boots.

the vehicle i put up is almost sold so i just got a little high gas mileage car now....but i used to be able to run over peoples cars
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#23]

My truck is setup to go 300 miles on a tank before I have to worry about filling up.  Within 300 miles I'll be more than into my bug out area and won't have to worry so much as there's a gas cache there.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#24]
580 miles on a tank - I typically keep it above half a tank of gas and keep 5 gallons of emergency diesel and 5 gal of gas in the back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]

1500 miles solo, 750 towing 12k.

In bed fuel tank FTW, I carry 86 gal total and normaly fill when I hit 400 miles, tho right now I'm gona burn some off while I wait for diesel to drop in price some.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 1:06:14 AM EDT
[#26]
1975 International Scout II ( Haven't done much to it yet other than a 2.5in lift)

1979 Ford F-250 that I inherited off of my grandfather.

Scout
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:

You appear to be the only one here who's keeping all the bases covered by having the motorcycle handy. These other guys will be screwed if there are traffic issues and no trails big enough for a 4 wheel vehicle to use. An SUV with a bike on the back is the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By timb3:

You appear to be the only one here who's keeping all the bases covered by having the motorcycle handy. These other guys will be screwed if there are traffic issues and no trails big enough for a 4 wheel vehicle to use. An SUV with a bike on the back is the best of both worlds.

Well, what you cant go around, you can try and go over. LoL

But I have looked at getting a reciever mounted bike rack and getting a lightweight enduro or will eventually get a trailer with bike in it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is my battle truck  BOV

Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Stiffy:

i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/Stiffy420/mybov.jpg

Got more pics and/or write up on it. (if you want, post in the car/truck forums).
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Oooh...3 Hella HID's...tasty but spensive
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By fosters:

Ya, But I think its got a body lift on it...
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Scout198575:
1975 International Scout II ( Haven't done much to it yet other than a 2.5in lift)
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/Scout198575/Scout%20II/328960828_l.jpg

<--- green w/ envy
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By DBerk:

Ya, But I think its got a body lift on it...

WRONG
No body lift on my truck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 5:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stiffy] [#36]

Originally Posted By die-tryin:

Originally Posted By Stiffy:

i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/Stiffy420/mybov.jpg

Got more pics and/or write up on it. (if you want, post in the car/truck forums).

That pic was taken with a digi camera that I no longer own so the only other pictures I have are on film. I have a mini vid camera that takes crappy stills, I might ETA some later.

It's a 02 F150 4x4
-6" suspension lift
-dual Fox shocks/limiting straps in front with engine cage
-Fox pneumatic bump stops in front
-14" travel rear Fox shocks
-laser star flood lights in the rear bumper "asshole lights"
-front baja fenders
-aftermarket hood
-aluminum wheel wells
-mad max front bumper welded directly to the frame w/ additional supports.
-HID Hellas
-rock rails
-full exhaust
-power programmer
-air induction

She has been a great truck for me. Wonderful in the sand dunes. I would love to do much more but as always I have to draw the line somewhere.

ETA crappy stills

Link Posted: 10/30/2007 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By die-tryin:

Well, what you cant go around, you can try and go over. LoL

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/MonsterJamII0003.jpg

But I have looked at getting a reciever mounted bike rack and getting a lightweight enduro or will eventually get a trailer with bike in it.

Great picture! - I was looking at one of those old blazers the other day. If I can ever find the right one for the right price, I want to get one.

Having a little bike on the back is definitely worth doing though. Nothing like keeping all the bases covered.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#38]

HUGE +1

Is this thread really in the survival forum?

All I see are vehicles most likely bought for reasons other than survivability. I guess you have to make do with what you have/can afford/is practical in other aspects, but some of these choices for use as a BOV just make me go .

Link Posted: 10/31/2007 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#39]
So Boomer what exactly do you consider a BOV?
just so I can put mine up against it
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 7:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Avalon01] [#40]
As posted in every "show me your BOV" thread:

Mine:

These other guys will be screwed if there are traffic issues and no trails big enough for a 4 wheel vehicle to use. An SUV with a bike on the back is the best of both worlds.  

I make my own roads.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#41]
You win.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Avalon01:
As posted in every "show me your BOV" thread:

Mine:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/avalon01/IMG_0363.jpg

These other guys will be screwed if there are traffic issues and no trails big enough for a 4 wheel vehicle to use. An SUV with a bike on the back is the best of both worlds.  

I make my own roads.

Av.

Isn't that the "Dirty Dozen" HalfTrack?
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I never posted here before, here's my opinion anyway.

I don't think a BOV should be a gas-guzzler; fuel maye be scarce.  I'm leaning toward diesel on the basis that farms and truck stops will have it and it will be in less demand than gas.  I'm think small 4wd like Toyota pickup, the most common model or 4-runner so spares can be scrounged.

I'm also liking the idea of a small trailer with expanding tent on top.  The tralier could be left on-site with all the heavy crap you don't need when hunting or scrounging.  The trailer needs to be light enough to haul at speed or over rough road.

Link Posted: 11/1/2007 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Wife's halftrack at Sprawlmart, now THAT's parking!
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 11:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#45]

So Boomer what exactly do you consider a BOV?
just so I can put mine up against it

I think a BOV needs to be durable, simple, plenty of cargo space and hauling ability, reasonably fuel efficient, reasonably competent offroad, and supportable.

To me a vehicle that would best fit that criteria would be:

• 3/4 or 1 ton extra cab or crew cab pickup truck or SUV

• Diesel engine with a mechanical fuel system (lift pump and injection pump)

• Manual transmission for reliability, simplicity, and ability to be compression started

• 4WD

• Solid front axle (unless a truly heavy duty, offroad worthy independent system such as that found on the HMMWV)

• As few electronics and electrical systems as necessary for the vehicle to be operated

• Domestic brand produced in large numbers so replacement parts are obtainable

For the last last few years I considered replacing our 1994 GMC K2500 Suburban with a pickup and decided to do so with a vehicle that could double as a BOV.

After doing a litle research, I came to the conclusion that the Cummins 6BT with a P7100 injection pump was/is likely THE most reliable, longest lived diesel ever put into a light duty truck. Period. So off to do a little more homework on the 1994-early 1998 Dodge trucks that these motors came in.I have never been particularly keen on Chrysler products, but Dodge is the only truck the Cummins comes in and a custom one off swap into another brand does not seem like the way to maintain simplicity, reliability, and ease of finding replacement parts. The manual transmission in this era of trucks in the NV4500, a decently stout 5 speed with overdrive. It has an issue with the 5 gear coming lose (truck can still be driven, however) for which there are a few remedies. The NV241 transfer case has a good reputation as do the Dana 60 front ends and Dana 80 rear ends. While the drivetrain is outstanding, I'd say the rest of the truck is so-so, about on par with other brands of the same era. And like any other brand, it could use a little help here and there.

I ultimately ended up with a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab, Cummins 6BT, NV4500 5 speed, NV241 transfer case, Dana 60 front end, Dana 80 rear end with limited slip, and 4.10 gears. I have since addressed a number of normal maintenance items and  added stronger extended length control arms for the front suspension, a heavy duty track bar, a heavy duty clutch, and rebuilt the transmission with a mainshaft designed to eliminate the the possibility of the 5th gear coming lose. Future plans are to turn up the motor just a little bit and likely install a kit the replaces the unit bearings on the front axle with servicable wheel bearings and lockout hubs.

The truck is not some kind of offroad champ. However it handles inclement weather and the rough logging roads I typically encounter here in the PNW quite well. In reality no one is going to be bugging out over the Rubicon or running the Baja 500. The vehicles that excel in those environments are highly specialized and would be inapt as a BOV.

The CJ-8 being towed behind the truck is more of hobby but would more than likely come along in the event of a bug out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Boomer,

Your analysis of the 6BT is spot on. By far the best engine ever put in a one ton truck. I'm researching swapping one into a Ford F350. It's apparently a common swap, check out www.fordcummins.com

Also, I'm working on sourcing a 4BT for my CJ7, for the exact same reasons. I want a fairly lightweight (not much heavier than a SBC), stout diesel with full mechanicals (uses the same mechanical pumps as the 6BT), that adapts to common truck transmissions. Should just take two electrical wires to run the entire engine.

We'll see!
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: agent424] [#47]
Not my truck but I am building my new 08 tacoma after his.  
A great site to surf is www.expeditionportal.com/ these guys work on there trucks to travel to some crazy places. Take a look you will find some great info.

Link to his build Dave's 05 Tacoma

Another Great BOV truck.

Link to his build Cell4soul

This truck now has tent on rack also.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Make that Toca a Diesel and Id say you have the perfect BOV.

If I had to buy new, it would be a Taco with no question.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 7:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: agent424] [#49]
Oh they do have Taco diesel. Its the toyota Helix.

62 degree drop
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#50]
And if it ever becomes available in the States I'll sell my Rover and buy it.
The fact that Top Gear drove one to the North Pole with no major issues is reason enough
Page / 33
Show Me your BOV (Page 2 of 33)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top