Page:  / 35
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/1/2011 11:59:03 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Originally Posted By sirensong:

Originally Posted By all4bao:

I don't know what else is needed for the BOB unless you can recommend me something. Otherwise, I think it's complete.

food might be a good idea.

a map is sometimes helpful.

gloves and spare socks.

set of mini binocs and an esbit stove would be good investments.

that E-tool is probably unnecessary weight, unless you have a very specific need for it. delete that, and all of the above could be added for no weight penalty.

Hehe yea food might be a good idea :)

Thanks for the glove and spare socks, I forgot to add it.

As far as the e-tool go, I'm also going to use this pack for camping and I think and e-tool is invaluable. You can use it to build berm or build a shelter, cut firewood, & dig. Am I wrong?
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/2/2011 12:45:07 AM

I don't know what else is needed for the BOB unless you can recommend me something. Otherwise, I think it's complete.

food might be a good idea.

a map is sometimes helpful.

gloves and spare socks.

set of mini binocs and an esbit stove would be good investments.

that E-tool is probably unnecessary weight, unless you have a very specific need for it. delete that, and all of the above could be added for no weight penalty.

Hehe yea food might be a good idea :)

Thanks for the glove and spare socks, I forgot to add it.

As far as the e-tool go, I'm also going to use this pack for camping and I think and e-tool is invaluable. You can use it to build berm or build a shelter, cut firewood, & dig. Am I wrong?

If you use an e-tool or go woth one go with a mil surplus or one with a straight handle. The collapse break super easy no kidding
all4bao
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/2/2011 2:57:55 AM
Oh I just remember. Since I don't have/want the black sleeping bag (the one that's rated -20F) in the Modular Sleeping System because it's big and bulky, can I buy another patrol sleeping bag (the green one) and attach it to my sleeping system?

So now I have 2 green sleeping bag attach to each other and the gore-tex bivy cover over them. I don't know how warm it'll be though :(
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/2/2011 10:18:40 AM
Oh I just remember. Since I don't have/want the black sleeping bag (the one that's rated -20F) in the Modular Sleeping System because it's big and bulky, can I buy another patrol sleeping bag (the green one) and attach it to my sleeping system?

So now I have 2 green sleeping bag attach to each other and the gore-tex bivy cover over them. I don't know how warm it'll be though :(

If your not allergic to wool you could try lining you bag with a wool or atleast keep a wool on top. the blanket i have i wrap around my bag for carring and isnt to bulky
sirensong
Student of Human Moves
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/3/2011 3:06:46 AM

i think an etool can be very helpful for camping, as long as the weight of your gear is in line. i'm less convinced that it's appropriate for a BOB (and this is coming from a guy who originally bought one for his BOB ). nowadays, i think the entire point of a BOB is mobility, so i'm not inclined to add weight for something that doesn't directly help me with that. of course opinions vary, and there's no "right" answer. after all, i have some stuff in my rig that other people scoff at as unnecessary weight (rod and reel, small repair kit, etc.).

i think the reason it sticks out is that the rest of your setup is so lean, which i admire. i have to constantly tell myself not to keep adding stuff..."no, you don't need that item badly enough to warrant the extra weight."

so do what you think is best, but give it some thought.

"When my memory wanders, as it does when bad things happen, I put a seashell to my ear and it all comes back. That day...You."
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/3/2011 1:06:30 PM

i think an etool can be very helpful for camping, as long as the weight of your gear is in line. i'm less convinced that it's appropriate for a BOB (and this is coming from a guy who originally bought one for his BOB ). nowadays, i think the entire point of a BOB is mobility, so i'm not inclined to add weight for something that doesn't directly help me with that. of course opinions vary, and there's no "right" answer. after all, i have some stuff in my rig that other people scoff at as unnecessary weight (rod and reel, small repair kit, etc.).

i think the reason it sticks out is that the rest of your setup is so lean, which i admire. i have to constantly tell myself not to keep adding stuff..."no, you don't need that item badly enough to warrant the extra weight."

This is why i suggest the 3 uses rule it helps out quite a bit but it only works if they are imidate uses
all4bao
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2011 3:18:10 AM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2011 3:22:24 AM by all4bao]
After getting most of the stuff for my bail out bag, I found that the bag:
1. Is not big enough, the main compartment is only 1700 cu feet. Putting a sleeping system in there and it's full. No room left for clothing, food, or first aid kit.

2. Not designed to carry the amount of weight i'm putting in it (~40-50lbs). Ammo & water weighs a ton, frameless pack FTL.

So now I'm back to shopping for a new bail out bag that's:
1. Blend in an urban setting
2. Have a frame to support heavy load (loved the alice pack but it doesn't blend in an urban setting) 3500cu ft or more.
3. DURABLE (there goes 99% of civilian packs out there)
4. Cheap! That mean eberlestock isn't an option lol.

I should just bite the bullet and get an alice pack...? It does everything I wanted other than blending in :(
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2011 10:00:39 AM
1. Is not big enough, the main compartment is only 1700 cu feet. Putting a sleeping system in there and it's full. No room left for clothing, food, or first aid kit.

2. Not designed to carry the amount of weight i'm putting in it (~40-50lbs). Ammo & water weighs a ton, frameless pack FTL.

2. Have a frame to support heavy load (loved the alice pack but it doesn't blend in an urban setting) 3500cu ft or more.

I should just bite the bullet and get an alice pack...? It does everything I wanted other than blending in :(

I know they are expensive but did you look at any of the BLACKHAWK ones i think it would help with urban setting due to getting it in black or green. many dont have MOLLE on the pack it self
CockedandLocked
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2011 8:43:49 PM

what are you packing that 1700 cubic feet isnt big enough ?
"Always carry a bottle of whiskey in your pocket in case of snake bite....Always carry a snake in the other pocket" W.C. Fields
armourbl
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2011 7:55:16 PM

Why not one of the SOG E-Tools. About half the size of the standard mil unit, so it also weighs less. It will fit in a pocket or pouch about the size of a standard Nalgene bottle. Might not be the strongest unit, but for light digging or even hacking some small branches it would suffice.
23pistol23
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/13/2011 5:08:47 PM
[Last Edit: 12/13/2011 5:10:34 PM by 23pistol23]

I just bought a framed pack for my gf's little brother at walmart for $25. Its cheap enough and looks well built for the price. It has Mossy Oak Break up camo on some patches. Could be civi I guess. Not sure what brand but its not the Outdoors line that they have. I know those suck.
Hi, I'm Pistol.

steelheadfever
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:36:45 PM
There is a lot of great info here for your bob/ghb, but one thing, maybe I have missed it but if I did it won't hurt mentioning it again. Everyone should have a good set of toenail/fingernail clippers. Have you ever gone on a hike or walk and realized you had an ingrown toenail. Well if you did and did not have a clipper of some sort you are going to be hiking with some considerable pain and maybe preventing you from walking especially if it gets infected. So add a pair of clippers to the mix and protect your feet your life may depend on it. You will not be sorry. JMHO
protus
It's a trick. Get an axe.
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/29/2011 9:46:50 PM

i'll call BS on that one.
and with #2 as well.

go read up on what long distance hikers use/abuse.....most all rucks all use the same hardware mil rucks use...just not the same colors....
www.survivalandpreparedness.com
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/30/2011 6:09:59 PM
[Last Edit: 12/30/2011 6:14:49 PM by clownbear69]
Well this is gonna be one of my more random questions. Does anyone carry peanut butter as part of there food in the BOB/GHB i do know it does dehydrate you a bit faster do to the salt and oil contents? Reason why i asked is i read on the back of the jar today and said 2 tbsp = 200 calories which in itself doesnt sound like awhole lot but added with cracker etc make a decent food. Just whats yall input

three uses: Food, Fire Starter, empty jar makes easy storage

Edit: bait for dead fall traps
DSRV
Vote The Bastards Out
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/31/2011 9:28:28 PM
[Last Edit: 12/31/2011 9:31:13 PM by DSRV]

Originally Posted By clownbear69:
Well this is gonna be one of my more random questions. Does anyone carry peanut butter as part of there food in the BOB/GHB <snip>

Found these for ~$2.50. Cheaper then the MRE packets.

I keep some in the BOB, GHB and car servival kit.

"When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves." -- Henry Clay
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 11:48:21 AM
Originally Posted By DSRV:

Well this is gonna be one of my more random questions. Does anyone carry peanut butter as part of there food in the BOB/GHB <snip>

http://img4.allyou.com/i/2011/06/jif-peanut-butter-m.jpg?300:300

whats the caliore intake on that?
sirensong
Student of Human Moves
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:39:13 PM

come on now, bud––our whole goal is to be self-reliant, and that mindset should manifest even in the small things like research. "jif to go nutrition info" came up as a google autocomplete, and per the very first link, the 2.25oz cup is 390cal.

not trying to be obnoxious or call you out––just bringing it to your attention. the single most vital component for survival is mindset, and we can practice that every day.

"When my memory wanders, as it does when bad things happen, I put a seashell to my ear and it all comes back. That day...You."
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:34:45 AM

come on now, bud––our whole goal is to be self-reliant, and that mindset should manifest even in the small things like research. "jif to go nutrition info" came up as a google autocomplete, and per the very first link, the 2.25oz cup is 390cal.

not trying to be obnoxious or call you out––just bringing it to your attention. the single most vital component for survival is mindset, and we can practice that every day.

Yes you are and no harm no foul its kinda a lot easier since just to ask than to look it up specially with the kiddos around but never mind bout all that actually seems good i might have to pack some myself just never seen them at my stores i shop at
protus
It's a trick. Get an axe.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 8:31:01 AM

Yes you are and no harm no foul its kinda a lot easier since just to ask than to look it up specially with the kiddos around but never mind bout all that actually seems good i might have to pack some myself just never seen them at my stores i shop at

p- butters been used by many hikers for its calories and other goodies. So has olive oil ..as in drinking it or such

One thing to remember is that if your using your BOB your gonna be going through supplies and putting them through their paces. Even food.
It would be easy to say that everyone started out going straight to mnt. house or MRE's. But that isnt the case.
I pack the single packets of tuna/salmon are the full of cals? nope. But lots of protien. I pack cliff bars for a reason as well. Ive also packed in dried fruits, dried meats, trailmix, gorp, grits,oats and even a 1/2 frozen steak once or twice ( hey it's a good meal on that 1st night).

Ive ran into others that have packed crackers,chesse it's , you name it just for the extra cals.
Ive also packed the small P-butters shown. for the same reason. Cal intake.

when i did a 30+ mile trip a year ago..i packed like i do for a normal 2 day hike..my cal intake was just at the 1k mark. and that wasnt enough, when hiking 10-15 miles a day .
www.survivalandpreparedness.com
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:47:44 PM
Originally Posted By protus:

p- butters been used by many hikers for its calories and other goodies. So has olive oil ..as in drinking it or such

One thing to remember is that if your using your BOB your gonna be going through supplies and putting them through their paces. Even food.
It would be easy to say that everyone started out going straight to mnt. house or MRE's. But that isnt the case.
I pack the single packets of tuna/salmon are the full of cals? nope. But lots of protien. I pack cliff bars for a reason as well. Ive also packed in dried fruits, dried meats, trailmix, gorp, grits,oats and even a 1/2 frozen steak once or twice ( hey it's a good meal on that 1st night).

Ive ran into others that have packed crackers,chesse it's , you name it just for the extra cals.
Ive also packed the small P-butters shown. for the same reason. Cal intake.

when i did a 30+ mile trip a year ago..i packed like i do for a normal 2 day hike..my cal intake was just at the 1k mark. and that wasnt enough, when hiking 10-15 miles a day .

Drinking Olive Oil wow. But i will have to say protus thanks for coming back to your one of your threads and giving your input it has been awhile. I will have to say that packing MRE's for the trip is convient but boy they take a toll on my body in the least when you eat them cold. It really does help when theres one more person carring MRE's to do meals swaps etc.

As for the 30+ mile hikes they suck when you burn more than what you intake.

But for all the BoB/GHB stuff is why i use the rule of three if i didnt my pack would weigh double than what it is now. Food is the only thing i am trying to condense. This why I will ask about Baby ceral as a food source. Takes very little liquid and tastes ok. A regular box weighs maybe a pound but offers a lot of potential. Seems interesting enough. Only reason currently i have them is for my 16 monther if i need some quick food for him
Sanchez
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2012 10:01:58 PM
[Last Edit: 2/1/2012 10:04:36 PM by Sanchez]
I'm really interested in the ILBE II pack but do you guys think a BOB should be more discrete in terms of camo/color? I'm a newb to the whole buggin out concept and I'm just now starting to research and build my gear.

sirensong
Student of Human Moves
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2012 4:37:33 AM

Food is the only thing i am trying to condense. This why I will ask about Baby ceral as a food source. Takes very little liquid and tastes ok. A regular box weighs maybe a pound but offers a lot of potential. Seems interesting enough. Only reason currently i have them is for my 16 monther if i need some quick food for him

interesting idea––please post your experience with it when you can.
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2012 11:03:34 AM
[Last Edit: 2/2/2012 11:30:38 AM by clownbear69]

Food is the only thing i am trying to condense. This why I will ask about Baby ceral as a food source. Takes very little liquid and tastes ok. A regular box weighs maybe a pound but offers a lot of potential. Seems interesting enough. Only reason currently i have them is for my 16 monther if i need some quick food for him

interesting idea––please post your experience with it when you can.

This is my expereince as of right now (IN home use only) You can use equal parts ie 1/4 cup ceral 1/4 cup liquid (milk and water is the only things ive tried) or you can even go ie 1/4 cup ceral 1/2 liquid. The less liquid has the consistance of very thick paste (as expected) 1/4 cup = 60 calories

There is three different cerals we currently have: rice, oatmeal and mixed grain. Since my son is not eatting his ceral anymore (much better solid foods now) I will give some expereiments see what works. I will start 1 cup of ceral and 1 cup of liquid.

As a side note to this all this ceral doesnt even need to be heated tastes better if it is. This is also the Gerber brand. In the next couple of days i will test at home and post my results
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2012 11:07:47 AM
Originally Posted By Sanchez:
I'm really interested in the ILBE II pack but do you guys think a BOB should be more discrete in terms of camo/color? I'm a newb to the whole buggin out concept and I'm just now starting to research and build my gear.

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/homelessrdp/ILBE.jpg

I guess the best question to ask is do you live in a more urban , suburban or rural area. When living in the city i have used non camo stuff. IE stuck to my browns or blacks. When i was living in the back woods in WI i had primarly camo easier to hide when nothing is out of the ordinary. I hope my limited advice helps
PFC_Kramer
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/6/2012 11:54:35 AM
Originally Posted By Sanchez:

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/homelessrdp/ILBE.jpg

You could always add a pack cover in any color / config to help change its look..ie tan, blue, white, logoed etc etc. I wouldn't let the camo desparage you from getting this pack. For most users the ILBE is a good to go pack.
Page:  / 35