Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 21 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Bear] [#1]
A good alternative to those looking for lighten their sleeping bags is to invest in a top quilt. Insulation compressed under your body can no longer provide insulating value. Top quilts have an open bottom so it has less material. Most top quilts can be used in both a hammock and ground sleeping.

The system does some getting used to. The benefits of a sealed bag is that you are covered from drafts when you toss around at night. Since the quilt has an open bottom, drafts and cold air can definitely come through when you move. Attaching your pad to your sleeping pad mitigates this and keeps the quilt in place. Top quilts also are a tad less roomy than traditional sleeping bags

Top quilt for ground sleeping. Compresses small, weighs 27 ounces and can be taken down to 5 degrees. Compared to my jungle blanket that weighs 25 ounces:

The quilt has attachments on the side to attach together or to your sleeping pad to keep it in place. I used elastic webbing and connectors to attach to my pad:

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jerz_subbie:
My bag is 32L and is stuffed to the gills right now. I can't imagine needing anything more than 50L for a 3-day bag. I have 3-season clothes in a 6L compression sack, a 10L would be more than enough to add a warm base layer and down jacket. You have to be smart with your layers and ditch the bulky stuff, otherwise you could fill a 30L pack with just a jacket and pants.
View Quote

True. The bulkly gear is an issue for those of us four real seasons. Alturnative is swapping back and forth sesonal gear as season change, but that come at the risk of needing something and not having it. Very challenging.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]

I shop around for everything, literally. I take joy in knowing that I've bought something for the lowest price I could find history of, so yes I shopped around . That said, I had no desire to spend $60+ when all i was after was one kit and I was able to buy the AMK SOL .9 for like $18. Also, everyone's goals are different... My goal is having the basics for a 2-3 day hike or "get home" situation, not TEOTW.

I would be interested in you sharing your experience building your own kits and where you find the best deals on said items. This thread or another, I don't think it matters, as long as we don't get into shoving an ambulance into a duffel bag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By clownbear69:
I had to catch up to see what I missed. I see a lot of the new posts have first aid kits which is good but why 're you buying the premade first aid kits?

In my experience they are typically filled with lowest grade items. When I mean that it's bandaids adhesive properties suck and much of the gauss is not the best. I always felt that the premade kits (the ones that you can get at Wal-Mart Cabelas Walgreens etc) were more soccer mom kits.

If you make your kit you can control quality.

I admittedly know very little about first aid. I did a bunch of reading as I do with most things but when I starting adding up the cost of building my own kit, it was way more than I wanted to spend and would leave me with enough supplies to build 4 kits. I read great things about the AMK SOL .9 kit and figured it'd be a great starting point. An LEO buddy is more knowledgeable on the FA side of things so he helps me tweak my FAK a little bit, hence the addition of a tourniquet.

Sorry for the late reply

When you were pricing your FA kit to make it did you just go to one retailer or multiple? I will note you will have left over but having more kits isn't bad. I have a master kit in my house and have had (not currently) in my truck as well.

If this topic becomes popular or wants a new thread for it IM me. Im in the process of rebuilding my kits and replacing very old items. I don't want to high jack it in the BoB thread.

I shop around for everything, literally. I take joy in knowing that I've bought something for the lowest price I could find history of, so yes I shopped around . That said, I had no desire to spend $60+ when all i was after was one kit and I was able to buy the AMK SOL .9 for like $18. Also, everyone's goals are different... My goal is having the basics for a 2-3 day hike or "get home" situation, not TEOTW.

I would be interested in you sharing your experience building your own kits and where you find the best deals on said items. This thread or another, I don't think it matters, as long as we don't get into shoving an ambulance into a duffel bag.

For many years Ive used the list provided from the Boy Scouts (BSA) And its very small compared to many. But from a couple day hike to a bugout I highly doubt you would need more. But remember this kit is for "most probable."

Heres the list

6 Adhesive Bandages
2 Gauze pads 3"x3"
1 small adhesive tape
1 3"x6" moleskin
1 small bar of Soap
1 small tube of antiseptic
1 pair of scissors
1 pair of latex gloves
1 mouth barrier
1 plastic goggles
1 of each pencil and paper

So by no means this will cost $60. But then again it all depends on what you put with in your FA kit. Now of course I have modified based on what I need and what I don't. And the first thing I don't need is the goggles. Sure it will protect my eyes but any injury I needed to attend to I never saw the need. Yet I replaced that space with my sewing kit and lighter. I also don't use the soap but replaces with hand sanitizer still gets the job done but don't need any water. Could use liquid soap but extra cleaning (such as a rag) is needed if you are trying to put a bandage on. I usually carry hospital tape and duct tape (duct tape will typically not be in FA kit). Hospital tape for smaller job like deeper scratches or around the finger and duct tape for larger jobs such as splints or other such immobilizations.

I still have other modification but that's the thing many people will have other needs but this is a true basic list.

As it comes to deals I always go to any of the dollar stores. Dollar tree has quite a bit that will work and places like family dollar and dollar general will have from time to time Buy one/get one deals. These places also accept coupons (except dollar tree) and Band-aid does come out with coupons in a seasonal basis.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LoadedDrum:
For those of you with a sleeping bag in your BOB, do you leave it in a stuff sack or complete squished in a compression sack?

While we are at it, any suggestions on a 20 degree or lower bag for $300 or less that does not take up too much space in just a stuff sack.

View Quote

I know this is a little off topic and I am not meaning to be condescending (even though the question will sound like it) is Why aren't you learning your natural insulators in your typical AO? While not all cold weather AOs have a natural resources to use many do. The biggest thing is keeping a lot of density between you and the ground. The more material you have the more you keep yourself warm.

Now of course not a huge option if you are living in flat land IL but its a thought.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]

I know this is a little off topic and I am not meaning to be condescending (even though the question will sound like it) is Why aren't you learning your natural insulators in your typical AO? While not all cold weather AOs have a natural resources to use many do. The biggest thing is keeping a lot of density between you and the ground. The more material you have the more you keep yourself warm.

Now of course not a huge option if you are living in flat land IL but its a thought.
View All Quotes
For those of you with a sleeping bag in your BOB, do you leave it in a stuff sack or complete squished in a compression sack?

While we are at it, any suggestions on a 20 degree or lower bag for $300 or less that does not take up too much space in just a stuff sack.

No offense taken. I am in this thread to learn. Good point on insulators. I will keep that in mind as a backup/supplement to a sleeping pad.

I only asked about compressed vs just in a bag because of the trade off between having the sleeping ready to go in the bag vs the detrimental effects of leaving a bag compressed long term.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I leave my sleeping bag hanging in the closet un-compressed. It only takes a minute to shove it in it's sack and compress it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]

I put my Marmot Meteor 15 degree bag in a compression sack, and compressed it as much as I could. I put it in my 50L bag, and was amazed at how much space it ate on its own.

Still, the 50L bag will probably be fine for most of the year. I just have to find a light weight backpacking tent with a small pack space. If I have to, I will hang the tent off the bottom and use an inflatable pad to save space in the bag.

View All Quotes
My bag is 32L and is stuffed to the gills right now. I can't imagine needing anything more than 50L for a 3-day bag. I have 3-season clothes in a 6L compression sack, a 10L would be more than enough to add a warm base layer and down jacket. You have to be smart with your layers and ditch the bulky stuff, otherwise you could fill a 30L pack with just a jacket and pants.

I put my Marmot Meteor 15 degree bag in a compression sack, and compressed it as much as I could. I put it in my 50L bag, and was amazed at how much space it ate on its own.

Still, the 50L bag will probably be fine for most of the year. I just have to find a light weight backpacking tent with a small pack space. If I have to, I will hang the tent off the bottom and use an inflatable pad to save space in the bag.

My Meteor compresses down to the size of my uncompressed jungle bag, roughly 7L. If you're not using a compression sack, a 9L Granite Gear works pretty well.
As for a tent, I have yet to find a freestanding lightweight tent that I can easily pack for a solo trip in my 55L bag. My Big Agnes Fishhook UL2 is very light, and packs small but would be best splitting between 2 people. There are a number of non-freestanding options though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]

My Meteor compresses down to the size of my uncompressed jungle bag, roughly 7L. If you're not using a compression sack, a 9L Granite Gear works pretty well.
As for a tent, I have yet to find a freestanding lightweight tent that I can easily pack for a solo trip in my 55L bag. My Big Agnes Fishhook UL2 is very light, and packs small but would be best splitting between 2 people. There are a number of non-freestanding options though.
View All Quotes

The Eureka Zeus 2 is what I have that would fit all you needs unfortunately its been discontinued for some time Now if Eureka has a similar one (non rain fly and 2 pole system) that might be you best bet
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Added a HPG kit pack to the back of my pack. Gives me a little versatility because I can detach it for scouting or water runs, etc.

I really like it, and it's very secure. It replaced the compression sac that was strapped on with my tarp/hammock in it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 5:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Bear] [#10]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
Added a HPG kit pack to the back of my pack. Gives me a little versatility because I can detach it for scouting or water runs, etc.

I really like it, and it's very secure. It replaced the compression sac that was strapped on with my tarp/hammock in it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y1NmEvaVeqI/VQDklzida2I/AAAAAAAAQfw/fY7LEBdLdps/s720/IMG_0067.JPG

View Quote

I like that. Functional and modular. Very nice!

Just moved contents from my Eberlestock X3 to a surplus French F1 daypack:

I like it so far and but not sure if this will be a permanent change. Besides the tactical look, the X3 is better in pretty much every single way, and the pack allows you to carry a rifle (discreetly) in different configurations.

Trying to phase out my packs to older style mountaineering/surplus packs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Half-Bear:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/AFD2977B-F192-4978-851D-4784169DEDF0_zpsixcple9h.jpg

I like it so far and but not sure if this will be a permanent change. Besides the tactical look, the X3 is better in pretty much every single way, and the pack allows you to carry a rifle (discreetly) in different configurations.

View All Quotes

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y1NmEvaVeqI/VQDklzida2I/AAAAAAAAQfw/fY7LEBdLdps/s720/IMG_0067.JPG

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/AFD2977B-F192-4978-851D-4784169DEDF0_zpsixcple9h.jpg

Right there with you.

Not easy to do, though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Link where you bought yours? or did you buy it at a in town surplus shop
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Keep Shooting French F1 Daypack $14.95
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Right there with you.  

Not easy to do, though.
View All Quotes

Right there with you.  

Not easy to do, though.

I have around 40 older packs - I really like the M1941, especially with M1952 upgrades and a sternum strap.  I like the small French and German rucks too for dayhikes. One of the most comfortable is the SOG pack from Vietnam era - lots of repros on the market, and it was used by both the US and the NVA, later the Chinese. Simple and cheap to mfg, and rides in the small of the back nicely. Not a good long range option, but light enough to be added to a bigger pack and be used for scavenging in a TEOTWAWKI world...
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

What pack is that?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By -Omega-1:

What pack is that?
View All Quotes

What pack is that?

LBT 3 day - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LBT-1476A-Three-Day-Assault-Pack-Multicam-CRYE-SEALS-PJ-RECON-SF-LBX-/161622359085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a1717c2d
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]

What pack is that?

LBT 3 day - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LBT-1476A-Three-Day-Assault-Pack-Multicam-CRYE-SEALS-PJ-RECON-SF-LBX-/161622359085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a1717c2d

Thanks, from that angle I couldn't recognize it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I keep debating if I should get a newer three day to scale down for a ghb. But I keep seeing my trusty Med Alice sitting there calling me..."use me protus....ever since you got that kelty you never hump me anymore...."

:p

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Weighed my "finished" GHB.

21 lbs.

Heavier than I expected, but not bad for a 3+ day kit.

How much does everyone else's weigh?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Bear] [#20]
East German Combat Pack. Good for gear storage, organization, and can be used as a pack. Actually carries better than the French F1 pack.

3 pack for $15 at Centerfire Systems, or can be purchased individually for $6 at keepshooting. One of the packs from I received from CenterFire had a vinyl liner and an extendable rain collar.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]

East German Combat Pack. Good for gear storage, organization, and can be used as a pack. Actually carries better than the French F1 pack.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/7D70808D-A51D-45FE-930C-8544BD70B5ED_zpsx7t6zf89.jpg

3 pack for $15 at Centerfire Systems, or can be purchased individually for $6 at keepshooting. One of the packs from I received from CenterFire had a vinyl liner and an extendable rain collar.
View Quote
Ordered three.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#22]

21 lbs.

View Quote

20.4 lbs for me
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:10:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Bear] [#23]
Alice panel pack

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HK94dude:

20.4 lbs for me
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HK94dude:

21 lbs.

20.4 lbs for me

Three full days covering different weather ...20-25-+ lbs is about right.
Mine is 18-20.
That's with extras (sidearm...extra mags..three liters of water etc)
If I cut the redundant extras out it still run 20-+ IMHO because id just add extra food etc

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Bear] [#26]
Looks cool. Whats in it?  
View All Quotes

Essentially the same items as my bushcraft pack with additional days worth of food, and carried in a comfortable way.

The sealline bag holds my main kit and has a shoulder strap to be used as a separate pack. The middle bag is actually a surplus french tanker water proof bag. The bag holds hygiene, bug spray, blanket, liner, food and layers. The last items are my multimat and a sheet of tyvek.

The packs are strapped with surplus alice cargo straps, and spare eberlestock compression straps. An extra shoulder pad rigged to the top of the frame for additional lower neck comfort.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone want to recommend me some brands of packs/bags to look at? Don't want to buy something that's cheaply made but not looking to break the bank either. I'd prefer to keep it below 150.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Ryan81:

Anyone want to recommend me some brands of packs/bags to look at? Don't want to buy something that's cheaply made but not looking to break the bank either. I'd prefer to keep it below 150.
View Quote
Covert or overt?

Frame or no?

There are lots of good options for a three day assault in that range.

I'm using the LBT three day.

I built a frame into it with kydex and it's fucking awesome now.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

150 is a good starting point. But ..as posted. What's the main use hiking...once a year camp out....cool pack to leave in the closet?
Also what weights you plan to haul etc.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Would rather go covert. It's just going to be a pack that is left in the truck or bedroom. I would prefer to keep everything under 25lbs but I haven't finalized a list of what I'll have.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Covert or overt?

Frame or no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-London-Bridge-Trading-LBT-3-Day-Assault-Pack-LBT-1476A-CB-Coyote-/171373940602

View All Quotes
Covert or overt?

Frame or no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-London-Bridge-Trading-LBT-3-Day-Assault-Pack-LBT-1476A-CB-Coyote-/171373940602

I'll +2 the LBT 3-day pack. I think it's perfect size, great build quality, and just enough organization. However, they can be tough to find at a reasonable price; I got mine during one of their big sales for about $65. Alternatively, you could go with a 35L backpacking pack like REI, NF, Gregory, Osprey to blend in more vs being tactical.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#32]

I'll +2 the LBT 3-day pack. I think it's perfect size, great build quality, and just enough organization. However, they can be tough to find at a reasonable price; I got mine during one of their big sales for about $65. Alternatively, you could go with a 35L backpacking pack like REI, NF, Gregory, Osprey to blend in more vs being tactical.
View All Quotes

Covert or overt?

Frame or no?

Checked out the LBT pack. A little bit smaller than what I'm wanting. May just have to increase my budget(not drink as much beer for a week ) and buy the Eberlestock Halftrack. Wanting something a tad bit larger.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Checked out the LBT pack. A little bit smaller than what I'm wanting. May just have to increase my budget(not drink as much beer for a week ) and buy the Eberlestock Halftrack. Wanting something a tad bit larger.  
View Quote
You really can't go wrong with Eberlestock.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jerz_subbie] [#34]
View All Quotes

Another decent bag that's a little larger, blends in, and won't break the bank is the REI Lookout 40. They make it in all black rather than all the bright colors you normally see. I'm keeping an eye on a great deal for one myself.

ETA: I iust checked again and REI outlet has the Lookout 40L for $68. I see one in my future
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I think I've decided on the Eberlestock Halftrack.

Anyone have any input on any of these products?

Coleman 2 man tent It's 7.75lbs though. Would I be better off going with a tarp or two to make my own a-frame type tent? I'm on a budget and don't want to spend 100-150+ on something.

Sawyer MINI water filter I already plan on buying a Katadyne Vario + the lifestraw or two that I'll have. But I ran across this on amazon for about 20. Claims it will filter up to 100,000 gallons. I'll also have some water purification tablets. But it's small, lightweight, and cheap.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#36]

Coleman 2 man tent It's 7.75lbs though. Would I be better off going with a tarp or two to make my own a-frame type tent? I'm on a budget and don't want to spend 100-150+ on something.

Sawyer MINI water filter I already plan on buying a Katadyne Vario + the lifestraw or two that I'll have. But I ran across this on amazon for about 20. Claims it will filter up to 100,000 gallons. I'll also have some water purification tablets. But it's small, lightweight, and cheap.

View Quote

A few notes.

First, on the tent. I don't like tents. They are bulky and heavy and require level/smooth(no rocks) ground. If you are in a desolate part of texas though, that wouldn't be too bad. I use a hammock for all of my go-bags. I live in a hilly, rocky area with lots of trees everywhere though. If you prefer to sleep on the ground, go with a tarp shelter.

This one is the best I've found for the three qualities that matter: Packed up size, water resistance, light weight.

Figure out what type of tarp shelter you intend to make, and buy an appropriate size for it.

Second, on the water filter. I say skip the Vario and the life straw. The Sawyer mini is $13 and out performs both in cost, filter quality, filter longevity and weight savings.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jd0509] [#37]
Hopefully this is the right spot for it, If not let me know and I will move it somewhere else. Here's my bag for evaluation. This started as filling a ruck to do PT with, and grew from there. No particular emergency in mind, just a general idea of being at any start point, dressed in any way, and needing to move some distance away.

Pack- Large Alice
Dry Weight:  34.14 lbs. (as pictured)
Water Carriage: 4 Liters/ 8.8 lbs

Main pack:
Clothes:
Inside  Lightweight trashbag:
ECWCS Gen III midweight top
ECWCS Gen III silkweight top and bottom
2x T-shirts
1x DCU Top
1x Long Sleeve Cotton button up top
1x pair nondescript brown cargo pants
1x pair broke in multicam ACU pants
1x pair boxer shorts
Blackhawk rigger's belt.
Ziplock bag with 3x wool hiking socks, 1x thin wool glove liners
Loose items:
Desert combat boots, well broken in. If possible I will be wearing better boots and discard them.
Shower shoes for camp shoes.  Cheap, small and light.
Larue Tactical ball cap (pictured below)
OTIS weapons cleaning kit (pictured below)
USGI dust scarf (not pictured)
Adventure Medical Kits small first aid kit + CAT TQ (not pictured/ weighed)

4 x MRE's in the radio compartment.  Kept in packaging to prolong shelf life, I will field strip all but 1 MRE of the packaging, spoons, and accessory pack (minus coffee) after donning the pack. In the summer I will also discard the heaters.

Left side, top:  1 L Nalgene with cup in a 5.11 Nalgene pouch. (not pictured or weighed: TT small utility pouch with Esbit folding stove and fuel tablets)
Top pockets - Left:
Light my fire combo spork
handkerchief
travel toothbrush
small pack of baby wipes
Travel pack toothpaste and Gold Bond medicated body powder (not pictured/weighed)
Center:
Army L/W work gloves
Right:
Fire starter tool (magnesium/striker, button compass, and thermometer)
Waterproof fire starter sticks. (full package, need to cut in half or more)
Bug dope-small/ Sunscreen-stick style (not pictured/ weighed)
Big Gerber fixed blade

Admin pouch (mounted Right side, bottom):
3 chemlights
4 multicam ACU repair patches
Winchester Multi-tool with bits
Medicine container with matches (strike on box, need to locate some strike anywhere then waterproof them.
Citronella 16 hour candle
Button compass
Notebook, 2 pens, sharpie
Bic Lighter (not pictured)
Small LED flashlight (1AA, not pictured/weighed)
Right pocket:
100 oz hydrastorm bladder
Eyepro set (clear/dark lenses, retention strap, cleaning cloth, and anti fog - I need the sunglasses, so I might as well have clear lenses too.)
Center Pocket:
Empty, reserved for shelter
Left pocket:
3x 3 foot bungie cord (not pictured)
550 cord (not pictured)
ACU Boonie hat (not pictured)
100 oz hydrastorm Bladder
Eyepro - Clear/dark lenses, anti fog stuff, cleaning kit, retention strap
Top Flap:
2x foil type survival blankets
Replacement shoestrings
Tiny multi-tool with a flashlight
Fleece beanie
Ace wrap - To take care of my bum ankle

I still need to figure out some kind of shelter, I would like a sil-nylon tarp for that, plus a woobie maybe the USGI sleep system Bivvy Cover, and I have no clue about rain gear but I need something for that too.  For winter I have the Molle Sleep System Carrier that I can sling underneath to add a sleeping bag and an Army field Jacket, along with the midweight pants.  I also need
Its really to heavy, but I will be losing a bit of weight right away after changing clothes/footwear and field stripping the MRE's. Other than that, not sure where to cut/what improvements to make.  Oh and I will be upgrading it to a "Hellcat" pack as soon as funds allow.

ETA:  So when I got the pack out today to take it for a hike, I pulled out the boots and one change of clothes, since if I'm truly using the pack I will wear them or discard them as soon as possible.  That gives me a dry weight of 27.8 lbs, which is still a bit beefy considering I don't have any shelter to speak of, or rain gear.

I would really like to get the pack down to a dry weight of around 25 lbs without adding any of the stuff that's missing. Does anybody see a good spot to cut?  I'm thinking the candle is a prime candidate, along with probably moving from 4 MREs to 1 MRE, 1 MRE entrée, and some cliffbars.  That would be a big weight savings, but also a huge cut in calories.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

A few notes.

First, on the tent. I don't like tents. They are bulky and heavy and require level/smooth(no rocks) ground. If you are in a desolate part of texas though, that wouldn't be too bad. I use a hammock for all of my go-bags. I live in a hilly, rocky area with lots of trees everywhere though. If you prefer to sleep on the ground, go with a tarp shelter.

This one is the best I've found for the three qualities that matter: Packed up size, water resistance, light weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Equinox-Egret-Tarps-10-12-Feet/dp/B000C3O7NQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430796647&sr=8-2&keywords=sil+tarp
Figure out what type of tarp shelter you intend to make, and buy an appropriate size for it.

http://westcountyexplorersclub.com.s182622.gridserver.com/wpwuwei/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/73cynk.jpg

Second, on the water filter. I say skip the Vario and the life straw. The Sawyer mini is $13 and out performs both in cost, filter quality, filter longevity and weight savings.

Thanks for the input. Was one click away from ordering the Katadyne and not the Sawyer before coming back to this thread.

As for the tent/tarp vs. hammock, what do you plan on doing during colder seasons? Being that I live in Texas and we're approaching summer, I went with the hammock for now. But I would think that the tent/tarp might work a little better as a windbreak in the colder weather of winter. Plus it offers better shelter from the rain and staying out of the sun during the day time.

Just placed the order on Amazon: Eberlestock Halftrack in coyote brown, Sawyer mini w/extra 16oz pouch, 100 ft. of paracord, Hammock, 50 water treatment tablets, and a case of Mountain House. Total came out to be 370 with tax. Free shipping due to Amazon prime and it should be here Friday.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#39]

A few notes.

http://www.amazon.com/Equinox-Egret-Tarps-10-12-Feet/dp/B000C3O7NQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430796647&sr=8-2&keywords=sil+tarp

http://westcountyexplorersclub.com.s182622.gridserver.com/wpwuwei/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/73cynk.jpg

View All Quotes

A few notes.

Thanks for the input. Was one click away from ordering the Katadyne and not the Sawyer before coming back to this thread.
As for the tent/tarp vs. hammock, what do you plan on doing during colder seasons? Being that I live in Texas and we're approaching summer, I went with the hammock for now. But I would think that the tent/tarp might work a little better as a windbreak in the colder weather of winter. Plus it offers better shelter from the rain and staying out of the sun during the day time.

Just placed the order on Amazon: Eberlestock Halftrack in coyote brown, Sawyer mini w/extra 16oz pouch, 100 ft. of paracord, Hammock, 50 water treatment tablets, and a case of Mountain House. Total came out to be 370 with tax. Free shipping due to Amazon prime and it should be here Friday.

Not a sawyer fan...i woulda got the katadyn mini.

Tarps rock . But you gotta pay mind. Aint like a tent you just plop on the ground. Sil tarps are the best but you wont find them in cool daddy camo colors.

This is a 5+8 i just sold. Weight was 7 oz iirc.

This not sil but basic ripstop 1.4 oz per yard iirc. Once treated it shed water with out issue.

My whole sleep system _-

Tarp (stakes.rope .bag ) 13 oz 8+8 sil

5+8 ground sheet 5-6 oz

Bug netting 4-oz.

Bivy if extra shitty 1lb
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#40]
Originally Posted By jd0509:
Hopefully this is the right spot for it, If not let me know and I will move it somewhere else. Here's my bag for evaluation. This started as filling a ruck to do PT with, and grew from there. No particular emergency in mind, just a general idea of being at any start point, dressed in any way, and needing to move some distance away.
<a href="http://s994.photobucket.com/user/jdd0509/media/image6_zpseiiw7rop.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af62/jdd0509/image6_zpseiiw7rop.jpeg</a>
Pack- Large Alice
Dry Weight:  34.14 lbs. (as pictured)
Water Carriage: 4 Liters/ 8.8 lbs
<a href="http://s994.photobucket.com/user/jdd0509/media/image1_zpsktz3jnip.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af62/jdd0509/image1_zpsktz3jnip.jpeg</a>
Main pack:
Clothes:
Inside  Lightweight trashbag:
ECWCS Gen III midweight top
ECWCS Gen III silkweight top and bottom
2x T-shirts
1x DCU Top
1x Long Sleeve Cotton button up top
1x pair nondescript brown cargo pants
1x pair broke in multicam ACU pants
1x pair boxer shorts
Blackhawk rigger's belt.
Ziplock bag with 3x wool hiking socks, 1x thin wool glove liners
Loose items:
Desert combat boots, well broken in. If possible I will be wearing better boots and discard them.
Shower shoes for camp shoes.  Cheap, small and light.
Larue Tactical ball cap (pictured below)
OTIS weapons cleaning kit (pictured below)
USGI dust scarf (not pictured)
Adventure Medical Kits small first aid kit + CAT TQ (not pictured/ weighed)
<a href="http://s994.photobucket.com/user/jdd0509/media/image3_zpsnb74vbqi.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af62/jdd0509/image3_zpsnb74vbqi.jpeg</a>
4 x MRE's in the radio compartment.  Kept in packaging to prolong shelf life, I will field strip all but 1 MRE of the packaging, spoons, and accessory pack (minus coffee) after donning the pack. In the summer I will also discard the heaters.
<a href="http://s994.photobucket.com/user/jdd0509/media/image2_zpszgyedit0.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af62/jdd0509/image2_zpszgyedit0.jpeg</a>
Left side, top:  1 L Nalgene with cup in a 5.11 Nalgene pouch. (not pictured or weighed: TT small utility pouch with Esbit folding stove and fuel tablets)
Top pockets - a href="http://s994.photobucket.com/user/jdd0509/media/image5_zpsytfon8vo.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af62/jdd0509/image5_zpsytfon8vo.jpeg</a>
Admin pouch (mounted Right side, bottom):
3 chemlights
4 multicam ACU repair patches
Winchester Multi-tool with bits
Medicine container with matches (strike on box, need to locate some strike anywhere then waterproof them.
Citronella 16 hour candle
Button compass
Notebook, 2 pens, sharpie
Bic Lighter (not pictured)
Small LED flashlight (1AA, not pictured/weighed)
Right pocket:
100 oz hydrastorm bladder
Eyepro set (clear/dark lenses, retention strap, cleaning cloth, and anti fog - I need the sunglasses, so I might as well have clear lenses too.)
Center Pocket:
Empty, reserved for shelter
Left pocket:
3x 3 foot bungie cord (not pictured)
550 cord (not pictured)
ACU Boonie hat (not pictured)
100 oz hydrastorm Bladder
Eyepro - Clear/dark lenses, anti fog stuff, cleaning kit, retention strap
Top Flap:
2x foil type survival blankets
Replacement shoestrings
Tiny multi-tool with a flashlight
Fleece beanie
Ace wrap - To take care of my bum ankle

I still need to figure out some kind of shelter, I would like a sil-nylon tarp for that, plus a woobie maybe the USGI sleep system Bivvy Cover, and I have no clue about rain gear but I need something for that too.  For winter I have the Molle Sleep System Carrier that I can sling underneath to add a sleeping bag and an Army field Jacket, along with the midweight pants.  I also need
Its really to heavy, but I will be losing a bit of weight right away after changing clothes/footwear and field stripping the MRE's. Other than that, not sure where to cut/what improvements to make.  Oh and I will be upgrading it to a "Hellcat" pack as soon as funds allow.

ETA:  So when I got the pack out today to take it for a hike, I pulled out the boots and one change of clothes, since if I'm truly using the pack I will wear them or discard them as soon as possible.  That gives me a dry weight of 27.8 lbs, which is still a bit beefy considering I don't have any shelter to speak of, or rain gear.

I would really like to get the pack down to a dry weight of around 25 lbs without adding any of the stuff that's missing. Does anybody see a good spot to cut?  I'm thinking the candle is a prime candidate, along with probably moving from 4 MREs to 1 MRE, 1 MRE entrée, and some cliffbars.  That would be a big weight savings, but also a huge cut in calories.  

View Quote

Get a GI poncho for use as a wet weather poncho (go figure) and tarp.  Ditch those flip flops as they are usless to walk in and don't last.  I would keep the MRE heaters in there.  Never know if you would be in the Alps in June and it starts snow.  That large ALICE and frame can support over 150 lbs of gear lashed to it, ask me how I know (you just don't move fast and long).  Its a bug out bag, use excess but proven equipment, but I won't worry about the weight unless you start getting over 55 lbs.

Also since your in Germany figure out where and why you would have to bug out?  Your best bet would be to get back to your unit and force multiply.

CD
24 yr Pack Mule
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Get a GI poncho for use as a wet weather poncho (go figure) and tarp.  Ditch those flip flops as they are usless to walk in and don't last.  I would keep the MRE heaters in there.  Never know if you would be in the Alps in June and it starts snow.  That large ALICE and frame can support over 150 lbs of gear lashed to it, ask me how I know (you just don't move fast and long).  Its a bug out bag, use excess but proven equipment, but I won't worry about the weight unless you start getting over 55 lbs.

Also since your in Germany figure out where and why you would have to bug out?  Your best bet would be to get back to your unit and force multiply.

CD
24 yr Pack Mule
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Originally Posted By jd0509:
snip

CD
24 yr Pack Mule

Thanks for the input!
GI Poncho for both a tarp and wet weather gear is good idea that I hadn't thought of, I'm so used to only using it as a tarp. Any idea where they can be found?  looks like unobtanium on amazon. Totally tracking what the ALICE can haul, but it's been a long time since I've done it, I think my heaviest was right about 100 lbs though.  With the MRE's, I'm keeping them fully packed for now, to prolong the shelf life and keep things sorted, so stripping them would be an on the move type affair.  Switching flip flops is a priority to something far more sturdy as camp shoes... They are only there because I had an extra pair (or 3) and I know that if I had to go far per day in the boots in the pack, my feet would need to spend some time out of them.

As for where I'm going? Straight back to my unit, and my family will go to whatever designated shelter the Army says, and hopefully getting the hell out of here.  And I have different bags for that, lol.  This ruck is really just for extra PT here, packed with things I had laying around, with the exception of the Nalgene/cup/pouch. Speaking of PT, I forgot how the kidney belt sucks as an actual hip belt - that just moved up to my top priority after taking it out dry today for a 3 mile test ruck.  13:30/mi on hills with an uncooperative dog... not the worst time ever, but far from good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Hammocks do get cold in the winter!

A hammock underquilt is what you seek. That and a sleeping bag, and you'll be just as warm as if you were laying on the ground, within reason.

Here is an example, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By protus:

View Quote
What do you like better about it?

Regarding that ripstop tarp, do you sell them? I fucking LOVE tarps.

I've been using the one I linked from amazon above based on your suggestion to get a sil tarp, and now my entire family has them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#44]
This seems to be a pretty good tarp kit, if not a little small.

$51.00 for the sil version and only 8oz for the whole kit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#45]

This seems to be a pretty good tarp kit, if not a little small.

http://www.shop.backpackingadventuregear.com/Multi-Use-Survival-Tarp-Kit-MUST.htm
$51.00 for the sil version and only 8oz for the whole kit.

View Quote
I think 15oz is being nice. A usgi poncho is 1.9 coated and is 5+7 and is irrc 1.2-1.3 lbs. Granted it has grommets snaps etc.

But not tital for the kit.

Yes i make those ones in my picture. That was my last one till i order more fabric...and ive got other projects that may filter down to the EE.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#46]

I've been using the one I linked from amazon above based on your suggestion to get a sil tarp, and now my entire family has them.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By protus:

A custom one off for a dealer.

These were 5+8s irrc that were 1.9 uncoated and were 17  oz iirc.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm currently working on my set up.
Med kit and navigation stuff is together (Medic and Search and Rescue stuff) along with other items flashlights multi tools, some food stuff and clothes.
Had to change a few things because I moved from the north east to Florida, so adapting to the new environment and hazards (snake bites etc)
I have a list of stuff that I am going to get from my local Army Navy surplus store.
I'll add some pics of the med kit when I get home from work
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By perimedik:
I'm currently working on my set up.
Med kit and navigation stuff is together (Medic and Search and Rescue stuff) along with other items flashlights multi tools, some food stuff and clothes.
Had to change a few things because I moved from the north east to Florida, so adapting to the new environment and hazards (snake bites etc)
I have a list of stuff that I am going to get from my local Army Navy surplus store.
I'll add some pics of the med kit when I get home from work
View Quote

Snakes ain't that bad here you'll get eaten by ticks...mosquitoes ...and chiggers 1st.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sonofagun74] [#49]
Well, I wouldn't mind having you folks pick through my camping/hiking/bob. I have some pics I'll post up. For the record, This isn't geared as much zombie-apacolypse-bug-out carry-a-SAW-rifle-and-a-Mace-and-chain, But rather a general emergency bag, or prepacked out of the blue camping trip bag, or just having a clean change of clothes bag. So keep that in mind, this stays in my truck toolbox. I did use a Large ALICE pack that was given to me, but really didn't like the shape and size of it, so I picked up a Medium that I haven't tested out in the woods yet. But I like it a lot more. The Med ALICE is pretty mainstream with "BOBers" and I think it's pretty rugged so what the heck? I haven't done any real mods to it, but may in the future. The main reason I'm posting is because with all my stuff in it, she clocks in at a pretty weighty 40lbs! I know I need to shave weight, at least 10lbs I hope. So my question is, Where do you think I can stand to lose some substantial weight? I know replacing the bigger things with some lightweight backpacker gear is probably the best bet, and I will do so as funds allow, but in what order is priority do you think? (ie, get a decent 3lb tent then replace your bag then.....ect) anyhow I'll quit bumping my gums and get the pics up. Sorry for spreading it out over multiple posts, but the characher count wouldn't let me do it in one.

(I'm - 5,9" - 155lbs from upstate NY)

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#50]
(If you want further information or images of anything below let me know)

Here is the bag packed, next to a walmart pad I've used (on the "to replace list" I like the ridgerest, but they look pretty bulky)
" />

Everything laid out
" />

Closer look at clothes. "ranger rolled" for packing. (Jeans and flannel shirt are not in bag itself, but in toolbox with it.) (water bottle shown for scale)
" />

mess kit apart

Other stuff not in pack

Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 21 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top