Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 4:04:13 PM EDT
I mean stuff like vodka(tons of uses), vineager, cheap trash bags, paper plates/cups, plastic utensils, bleach etc. I always see food water ammo guns...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a bulk order of the small bic lighters for trading.

Otherwise the stuff you have is right on track: Think about cleaning, you listed bleach, but it only has a 1 year shelf life, you are much better with a bunch of pool shock.
But bleach wont cut grease, so get the cheapest detergents you can get in bulk.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Tin foil, can do a lot with tin foil.

Toilet paper. Cleaning up with... alternatives... is not a pleasant idea. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Cigarette lighters, tampons, make-up, stuff for trade.  Pencils, pens writing paper.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Soap, shampoo, disposable razors, band-aids, toothpaste, socks, roll of window screen, insect repellent, ibuprofen, tarps, nails, batteries, candles, sewing thread, pins and needles, percolator coffee pot, zip ties, duct tape, the list goes on and on.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I should specify things for a massive ice storm that knocks everything out for weeks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
So this always bothered me.  Toilet paper is very bulky to store for any significant amount of people.

Decided to remedy this.  You need:

1.  A bidet that goes on your toilet.  
I got one similar to this.

2.  A pump sprayer (unused)
like this one

Easy to hook them together.  Just get you a regular toilet seat, and hook the bidet up.

Definitely works well.  You need a supply of water.   That's about it.  

Cut the bidet hose and hook it up to the weed sprayer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe I should specify things for a massive ice storm that knocks everything out for weeks.
View Quote
It escalated quickly, dinnit?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It escalated quickly, dinnit?
View Quote
I'm married so...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Those new Charmin ultra mega rolls or whatever are 6 regular rolls in one. Compact TP.

Baby wipes, keep indoors. A full bulk case of small packs.
Vinegar. Cleans, degrease, sanitizer. Stores well.
Ziploc bags, various sizes.
Bulk aluminum foil from Costco.
Paper cups, plates, plastic utensils. Means no having to do dishes, just your pot or pan.
We buy bar soap by the industrial case once a year. Kirk's Castile washes clothes, hair, skin.
5 gallon bucket clothes washing system.
Water filter system. Cause water.
Q tips
Extra nail clippers
Sliver gripper, sharpened.

All I got off the top of my head
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:46:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Duct Tape perhaps.  Toiletries are gone faster than expected.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
An appropriately sized generator with an adequate amount of fuel would be high on my list.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
All the nececessities in life that you need to function.
Plus some forms of entertainment.
There is going to be plenty of work to do.
However you will want some form of entertainment.
If electronics work, have plenty of movies on hand, books to read, board games, outside activity sports like baseball,football, soccer will be fun for the youth.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]
My girlfriend and I keep a calendar in the bathroom and track when we restock anything we use, from TP to toothpaste, shampoo to hand soap.  We've been doing it long enough that we know how much of everything we use per month/quarter/6-mos/year.  Our goal was to have a years worth of everything on hand.  Once we achieve that, we will just double it, and so on.  We try to do this with everything we use on a daily basis.  TP is tough, because of the space it takes, but you do what you gotta do. 

When we buy replacements, it goes to the back of the shelf.  When we use stuff, it comes from the front, so we're always rotating.  If something expires, we set it aside as a "barter item."  We won't use it, but won't throw it away either...might come in handy as a trade item.  We do the same with expired OTC meds, vitamins, etc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Coffee or Tea
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
a way to wash your clothes regardless of power and water supply interruptions.

see
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/661411_Sandy-12-days-without-power-what-worked-what-didn-t-.html&page=4#i11545368

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
An appropriately sized generator with an adequate amount of fuel would be high on my list.
View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/661411_Sandy-12-days-without-power-what-worked-what-didn-t-.html

ps
i haven't finished this yet:
http://losdos.dyndns.org/wiki/reference:generator_oracle
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
start making a list of what you use now, note quantities

now stire that much for expected timeframe

not that hard
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

start making a list of what you use now, note quantities

now stire that much for expected timeframe

not that hard
View Quote
To be honest this thread got a little off track. I meant things to buy that you don't think of. Vodka, bleach, vinegar etc. things that have many uses with a decent shelf life. Not stuff you use everyday.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at round large plastic containers. I have 3 that contain 36 rolls of TP each.

eta: I keep about 20 of the lb propane cannisters for using lanterns and a propane cook stove. I also have 12 of the 100 hour emergency candles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#21]
We used to keep a few things like vinegar on hand that we didn't normally use.  Then we changed our routines a little so that we use everything we have and it all gets rotated. I'm not crazy about changing things up a lot and using/eating different things when you're already in a crisis and dealing with power outage etc.  We also have some extras of the staples in the closet as well (rice, water, etc).

We buy a lot of stuff in bulk at sams/costco and keep at least one extra of everything in a closet. That way we always have a big pack of TP etc that's unopened plus a partially used one. Same goes for groceries. One extra ketchup etc. Several jars of sauces, a lot of pasta and other easy things that store for a long time and we eat regularly.

Big concern here is a tropical storm/hurricane.  We currently need to go shopping about once a month so if something were to happen we could either make it one month + living like we normally do or stretch things longer if needed.

ETA: I do keep some tarps, plywood, a portable A/C, and have a battery box. None get used all that regularly, but they're really handy when you need them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Stuff like Qtips, Female products, wet wipes, matches, trash bags, plastic sheets, duct tape.

pretty much look at what you use on a daily bases....and stock up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not stuff you use everyday.
View Quote
If you don't use it now, why are you magically gonna use it in any shtf???????

it like the magic gardners that think a handful of seeds will get them through, w/o ever gardening.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you don't use it now, why are you magically gonna use it in any shtf???????

it like the magic gardners that think a handful of seeds will get them through, w/o ever gardening.
View Quote
I don't know, how many intruders have you killed with your guns? If none, why do you need guns for self defense?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't know, how many intruders have you killed with your guns? If none, why do you need guns for self defense?
View Quote
Bad analogy. I practice and use my firearms all the time, plus i carry mine
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bad analogy. I practice and use my firearms all the time, plus i carry mine
View Quote
So the answer is none. Thanks for ignoring my question because you don't like my point. Do you work for CNN? Anyways, I don't drink much vodka anymore, but I keep a bottle or two around. Great for cleaning, disinfecting, works for ear aches, help bring down a fever etc... So I don't need to keep it in my home?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Clothes pins, mouse traps, work gloves- summer and winter weight ones.

Anyone who has the 5 gal bucket and plunger clothes washing thing should actually try to use it. They're not with the hassle. Can only fit a few things in there, is a bunch of work to pump the thing, it'll get you wet, which is fine in summer but in winter not so much, and basically not worthy the effort if you're just ina 12 day power outage if you have a generator to pump water and use your washing machine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So this always bothered me.  Toilet paper is very bulky to store for any significant amount of people.

like this one

Easy to hook them together.  Just get you a regular toilet seat, and hook the bidet up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

like this one

Great idea. Even better if you could leave the sprayer in the window between uses.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So the answer is none. Thanks for ignoring my question because you don't like my point. Do you work for CNN? Anyways, I don't drink much vodka anymore, but I keep a bottle or two around. Great for cleaning, disinfecting, works for ear aches, help bring down a fever etc... So I don't need to keep it in my home?
View Quote
1) This isnt GD, this is a technical forums that Ive been apart of from damn near on set,  so get a grip

2) Look further up, i already posted a few items, store the stuff you mainly use. having "other" stuff is fine, but stock up first on the stuff you use all the time.

3) To expand on #1,,try google if you dont like the answers or discussion on here. There are piles of lists of stuff to store for SHTF.

4) and I stick by my statement. storing vodka for SHTF is fine, but when you mention firearms, its not exactly the same. storing a firearm and never practicing or training with it is pretty stupid IMO. Storing ammo, mags, parts, is fine....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

1) This isnt GD, this is a technical forums that Ive been apart of from damn near on set,  so get a grip

2) Look further up, i already posted a few items, store the stuff you mainly use. having "other" stuff is fine, but stock up first on the stuff you use all the time.

3) To expand on #1,,try google if you dont like the answers or discussion on here. There are piles of lists of stuff to store for SHTF.

4) and I stick by my statement. storing vodka for SHTF is fine, but when you mention firearms, its not exactly the same. storing a firearm and never practicing or training with it is pretty stupid IMO. Storing ammo, mags, parts, is fine....
View Quote
Fair enough. However telling someone if you don't use it you won't need it then getting your panties in a bunch when it's turned back around on you doesn't help anything. Nor does being a dick. Had you followed that one simple rule, as you said it's not GD, none of these posts would have been needed. And before you say "I wasn't a dick", telling someone who asks for advice things are not that hard and making a snide comment about magic gardeners is in fact being a dick.

Have a nice day.

Edit... actually I wasn't even asking for advice, simply ideas.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I didnt say , if you dont use it, dont store it. I simply said to store the stuff you use the most. I have a ton of medical stuff that i hope i never have to use, but I store it for SHTF anyways, same goes with other stuff.

Im not the one that made the "magic Gardner" statement

I dont know you, but most ppl that become "preppers" go out and buy thousands of dollars worth of freeze dried foods and never cook or taste any of it. And then they have kids that would literally rather starve then to eat something that tastes like cardboard. While this isnt no where near the same as storing vodka, its still a point to buy stuff you use and practice/use some of the stuff you store.

Vodka is not an item I would consider "out of the norm", infact alcohol is in the top 5 things that should be stored, it has so many uses and can be a barter tool and doesnt go bad.

Your not wrong in your thinking, jus need to expand on it and the gun anology, while i see your point, missed its mark...

*Edit* Advice / ideas = same same in most ppls eyes. Jus say'n. Personally, Id rather have advice and discussion over a simplified grocery list.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#32]
First, I second the "magic gardener" comment. Its 100% accurate.

Second, the OP really needs to make his own list. You know the best way to do that? Don't buy anything for a week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, whatever is at least twice as long as you normally go. 

Another thing I recommend people do is flip off utilities and run on your own for at least a weekend. See what you need, see what was missed, see what you had to go out and get because you HAD to have it. That type of thing. 

The one thing that you really need that may not get on your test list is spare parts. Spare parts for your equipment, from oil and filters to carb kits for generators.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I didnt say , if you dont use it, dont store it. I simply said to store the stuff you use the most. I have a ton of medical stuff that i hope i never have to use, but I store it for SHTF anyways, same goes with other stuff.

Im not the one that made the "magic Gardner" statement

I dont know you, but most ppl that become "preppers" go out and buy thousands of dollars worth of freeze dried foods and never cook or taste any of it. And then they have kids that would literally rather starve then to eat something that tastes like cardboard. While this isnt no where near the same as storing vodka, its still a point to buy stuff you use and practice/use some of the stuff you store.

Vodka is not an item I would consider "out of the norm", infact alcohol is in the top 5 things that should be stored, it has so many uses and can be a barter tool and doesnt go bad.

Your not wrong in your thinking, jus need to expand on it and the gun anology, while i see your point, missed its mark...

*Edit* Advice / ideas = same same in most ppls eyes. Jus say'n. Personally, Id rather have advice and discussion over a simplified grocery list.
View Quote
I apologize. You are correct, you did not make the gardener comment.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
wow I didn't know guns were for just shooting people?

have fun with your fantasy list and illogical arguments
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Second, the OP really needs to make his own list. You know the best way to do that? Don't buy anything for a week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, whatever is at least twice as long as you normally go. 
View Quote
he doesn't want to do that, he wants the internet to tell him what to store
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

he doesn't want to do that, he wants the internet to tell him what to store
View Quote
Holy shit, the first person in the world to have all the answers. Wow, can you mail me your autograph? Actually send me about 1000 copies. That way I've got my SHTF TP taken care of. Go be a prick somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Holy shit, the first person in the world to have all the answers. Wow, can you mail me your autograph? Actually send me about 1000 copies. That way I've got my SHTF TP taken care of. Go be a prick somewhere else.
View Quote
actually I dont have all the answers, Im just a guy that is not looking for them, as you appear to be.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

actually I dont have all the answers, Im just a guy that is not looking for them, as you appear to be.
View Quote
How we learn right? NOT asking questions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Clothes pins, mouse traps, work gloves- summer and winter weight ones.

Anyone who has the 5 gal bucket and plunger clothes washing thing should actually try to use it. They're not with the hassle. Can only fit a few things in there, is a bunch of work to pump the thing, it'll get you wet, which is fine in summer but in winter not so much, and basically not worthy the effort if you're just ina 12 day power outage if you have a generator to pump water and use your washing machine.
View Quote
I'd recommend copies of your books.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How we learn right? NOT asking questions.
View Quote
Absolutely ask questions, just dont get pissy if the answer isnt what you want to hear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Absolutely ask questions, just dont get pissy if the answer isnt what you want to hear.
View Quote
Actually you mean don't get pissy when a dick acts like a dick. In looking back through this thread, that would be taylor. All I wanted was ideas of things you can store for SHTF that had multiple uses like vodka. Ppl then started listing items and the thread went a little sideways. I know to store food water tp etc. I tried to correct it and suddenly I don't like the answers? No the suggestions were just fine. But they can be just fine however not be what I'm asking for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Actually you mean don't get pissy when a dick acts like a dick. In looking back through this thread, that would be taylor. All I wanted was ideas of things you can store for SHTF that had multiple uses like vodka. Ppl then started listing items and the thread went a little sideways. I know to store food water tp etc. I tried to correct it and suddenly I don't like the answers? No the suggestions were just fine. But they can be just fine however not be what I'm asking for.
View Quote
So we got the name calling down because you don't like my answers??

your intentions don't go along with your title or your post-you should change it, you are crying now

"non essential...ish for shtf"

read that again and see if it makes any sense

I'll leave you alone to play in your fantasy world
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So we got the name calling down because you don't like my answers??

your intentions don't go along with your title or your post-you should change it, you are crying now

"non essential...ish for shtf"

read that again and see if it makes any sense

I'll leave you alone to play in your fantasy world
View Quote
No, you're a dick. Your first two responses were "it's not that hard" and "magic gardener". You have contributed nothing to this thread.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow ti start from an interesting topic turned into GD real quick.

Sorry OP you are on your own
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wow ti start from an interesting topic turned into GD real quick.

Sorry OP you are on your own
View Quote
Lol no big deal. Honestly I think I've spent to much time in GD... it's warped my fragile little mind
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Cigarette lighters,
View Quote
And cigarettes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
That should be covered by current preps, I would think.
I assume you have gennys, spare fuel, light and heat sources, etc already covered.
Same with plans for cooking, bathing, transportation appropriate to your area of the country.
Do some research on past similar incidents and what worked/ what didn't work.
Back in 98/99 when the eastern seaboard was knocked out for several weeks in the middle of winter; that would be a good place to start your research.

If you haven't done any of the above, you have a ways to go before worrying about non-essentials.

edit:
As far as the transportation issue, it's my perception ( tell me if I am wrong) that weather conditions that many of us in the NE would shrug off tend to paralyze the SE because your areas aren't set up to handle those relatively rare occurrences.
So prep with that in mind.
Also, while you might rarely use an item, it's never a good idea to have only one of anything.
So while its great that you have a shovel or a hammer, plan on needing two. That way when you need to loan one out, can't find your primary, or the primary breaks, you have a back up on hand.
same with other equipment and supplies.
Oh, and organize what you have so it can be easily found under stress.
Keep a list; not only for your recollection but to inform those you live with as to what you have and where it is at.
If you can't find what you have, you might as well not consider yourself as having that item.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That should be covered by current preps, I would think.
I assume you have gennys, spare fuel, light and heat sources, etc already covered.
Same with plans for cooking, bathing, transportation appropriate to your area of the country.
Do some research on past similar incidents and what worked/ what didn't work.
Back in 98/99 when the eastern seaboard was knocked out for several weeks in the middle of winter; that would be a good place to start your research.

If you haven't done any of the above, you have a ways to go before worrying about non-essentials.

edit:
As far as the transportation issue, it's my perception ( tell me if I am wrong) that weather conditions that many of us in the NE would shrug off tend to paralyze the SE because your areas aren't set up to handle those relatively rare occurrences.
So prep with that in mind.
Also, while you might rarely use an item, it's never a good idea to have only one of anything.
So while its great that you have a shovel or a hammer, plan on needing two. That way when you need to loan one out, can't find your primary, or the primary breaks, you have a back up on hand.
same with other equipment and supplies.
Oh, and organize what you have so it can be easily found under stress.
Keep a list; not only for your recollection but to inform those you live with as to what you have and where it is at.
If you can't find what you have, you might as well not consider yourself as having that item.
View Quote
Back in '98 we got 1.5 ft of snow. I seem to remember being out of school for 3 weeks. However what also happened was a few layers of ice in with it so we really got both barrels. A few years ago we got 2 1ft snows and everything went much smoother. County schools were still out for a week though. I have a feeling kids up north would love those extra days off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Back in '98 we got 1.5 ft of snow. I seem to remember being out of school for 3 weeks. However what also happened was a few layers of ice in with it so we really got both barrels. A few years ago we got 2 1ft snows and everything went much smoother. County schools were still out for a week though. I have a feeling kids up north would love those extra days off.
View Quote
"up north" = a day or two, MAX, out of school.

ar-jedi

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top